Tennessee's coach search turns to Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy

Coach 66-35 at Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy tries to get the attention of an official during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Kansas State in Manhattan, Kan., Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, who has spent all but five seasons at his alma mater since arriving as an overachieving quarterback in 1986, has reportedly spoken to Tennessee about its vacant head coaching position.

Several reports, including News Sentinel partner GoVols247, said Gundy met with Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart on Sunday. The Tulsa World reported that Gundy was also likely talking to Arkansas about its open position.

"I would never talk about any other jobs or any confirmation of anything that's gone on," Gundy said on a teleconference for Oklahoma State University media late Sunday night. "I would prefer to not talk about anything other than Oklahoma State and the bowl game."

When a reporter asked how he spent the day, Gundy replied, "I spent it around the house."

An Oklahoma State spokesperson told the News Sentinel on Saturday night that Tennessee had not requested permission to speak to Gundy. On Sunday, the school said it had no comment.

Gundy is 66-35 at OSU since replacing Les Miles after the 2004 season. The Cowboys are 7-5 this year after going 12-1 and winning the Fiesta Bowl in 2011.

Gundy signed a new deal in January that pays an average of $3.75 annually through 2019. Any team that hires him would owe Oklahoma State a $3 million buyout. He just put the finishing touches on a giant home in Stillwater, which was in the news

last year when he allegedly fired a contractor for wearing an Oklahoma T-shirt.

So why is he looking around?

Some have speculated that he has a contentious relationship with OSU athletic director Mike Holder that manifested in last year's contract showdown.

Leaks from Gundy's camp suggested OSU wasn't being loyal to him because it had given a 10-year contract to men's basketball coach Travis Ford, according to a report last year in The Oklahoman. Throw Gundy's Memphis-based mega-agent Jimmy Sexton into the mix, and there may be hurt feelings that weren't soothed even after Gundy agreed to the new contract in January.

Tennessee is already believed to have spoken to Louisville coach Charlie Strong. (Strong has denied talking to Tennessee or Auburn, and Louisville officials have declined to comment).

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher could be next in line for discussions as early as today. Hart could interview more candidates when he is in New York this week for the National Football Foundation's annual awards ceremony where former coach Phillip Fulmer will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TritanVol writes:

Anyone in the country would be an upgrade over what we endured the last three years.

Nighthawk writes:

in response to TritanVol:

Gundy lost Saturday because his defense couldn't stop a very good, but not great offense. Sound familiar?

ArVol writes:

Petrino will never be cheaper than he is now. To my knowledge he has never been in trouble with the NCAA for rules violations.
With UT's resources and a good recruiting coordinator it would be on like donkey kong.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

I'm a man...I'm 40.

wycoller writes:

Not sure this is the right guy. Gundy's OSU teams have been great offensively, but not much better than Sunseri on defense. We need either a defensive-minded HC or one who can hire a top-notch DC.

DavidB writes:

Gundy is not the answer for the Vols. out of that list Charlie Strong is the best candidate. 7-5 record this year wouldn't keep vol fans happy. The 3 million to buy his contract out doesnt fit the Vol budget at all.

At some point the reporters need to back off and wait for the official announcement. They have proved their sources don't know any more than the fans know.

FWBVol writes:

in response to wycoller:

You just described Jimbo Fisher.

888657 writes:

in response to ArVol:

You have lost your mind. Do you really think parents would want their kids to play for someone who walked out on Louisville, and the Atlanta Falcons for no reason? Then to take a job at Arkansas, where he got canned for being unfaithful to his "WIFE"? Do you honestly think before you post? I am not even going to begin on where the head coaching job should fall, but I can tell you I don't want my beloved Vols in the hands of a man who can't control his own life.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

I'm a man...I'm 40.

They are who we thought they were!!!!

Playoffs......,playoffs????

dvhill100 writes:

No sure about Gundy. As previously pointed out, typical offensive giant but defensive midget you find in the big 12. I think we can do better.

volfanlostnbama writes:

in response to ArVol:

I suspect you've been watching way too much of Si on Duck Dynasty to be using "on like donkey kong."

Ironcity writes:

Gundy has kept OK State at or near the top after many years of horrible football before him. UT could do much worse. The big question to me is can he recruit well enough to compete in the SEC? He has appeared to be a better coach then a recruiter through his career. I think he will find the coaches in this conference are far superior to the coaches in the big twelve (or whatever their calling themselves these days)

formerflgranny writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

I'm a man...I'm 40.

I'm a granny but I am not telling you my age.

wycoller writes:

in response to FWBVol:

You just described Jimbo Fisher.

Guess so. Also described Charlie Strong and Butch Davis.

lomas98 writes:

in response to ArVol:

Agreed. If players can commit crimes or felonys such as theft or drugs, get kicked out of school, show up at a community college, then resurface a year later at another division 1 team.......why can't a coach who didn't commit any violations or commit a crime? I think petrino would be a great solution to our problem as long as he could hire a staff that trusts him. He would get his share of players that he could work with.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to DavidB:

I agree.They are guessing like everyone else.

formerflgranny writes:

Gundy looks like Bruce Pearl, if he is as sweet and likeable as Pearl, hire him.

satusmc22 writes:

U.T to become the power house that they once was needs to look inside the S.E.C to find another coach. You cannot understand the S.E.C. and the traditions that come from it unless you are part of it.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Gundy isn't coming to Knoxville, this is a mere plot and ploy by his people to get a wealthier contract from OSU. Tennessee is nothing more than a pawn on Gundy's chess board.

SummittsCourt writes:

Gundy will not be the next coach at UT. An interview is just that, nothing more.

It truly boils down to Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong or Butch Davis.

TritanVol writes:

in response to Nighthawk:

Do you think Gundy or anyone else would lose 4 or 5 games a year like that?? I doubt it....

ETownVol writes:

Just say NO to Gundy!

onetruevol706 writes:

This is a non story. OSU is his alma mater. He's not going anywhere. Just built a house, not going anywhere.His relationship with the AD will be all good when OSU gives him a raise after he interviews for a couple of jobs.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

It truly boils down to Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong or Butch Davis.

I hope you are correct, but I still believe Kirby Smart is Hart's guy. UT can probably hire him cheaper than any of the three listed above and he probably has a affordable buyout if any at all.

cltvol writes:

Good reporting is providing pertinent facts before others do so. If they back off the reporting, the outcry would be incredible, plus they would be fired. I'm glad they're out their hustling. The fact that Gundy and Hart met is very relevant news.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to wycoller:

Guess so. Also described Charlie Strong and Butch Davis.

Wasn't Davis caught up in some NCAA rules violations at UNC??

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to FWBVol:

You just described Jimbo Fisher.

You are kidding or just an idiot. When Fisher took over FSU they were ranked 108 in defense. This year they were number 2 in the Nation on defense. Maybe you should read stats before speaking in the future.

papavol writes:

in response to ArVol:

oh yes.. Maybe pick up t. martin and trooper taylor.. Oh yeah, it would definitely be on like donkey kong. I have only dreamed of such a scenario.

GatorHater1998 writes:

I would be outraged if gundy got hired. He doesn't have the defensive mind to coach in the sec

Madkels writes:

in response to ArVol:

Amen. Get him before Auburn does and he beats us like a drum.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Just read the link SummittsCourt posted. If Butch Davis truly wants the UT job give it to him. He can coach, recruit, and is a WINNER. I know he had NCAA troubles while at at UNC, but he knows he must run a clean program here with no exceptions. I would much rather hire someone that wants to come here to coach than someone who only shows up here because of the $$$$.

pcshowtime writes:

If this university and us as fans will not look a petrino. But will get into bed with butch davis we have really lost touch with reality.

TKO writes:

Either way I think it will be this week.

GatorHater1998 writes:

Oklahoma state's defense is ranked 73rd with the 116th ranked pass-defense. The numbers speak for themselves. He could have the best offensive mind in college football, but if you can't play tough defense, you just won't win. Just look at Tennessee's numbers this year.

ArmyDad writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

I'm a man...I'm 40.

That was 5 years ago. He's still a man! He's 45!

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Gundy is average, would likely be gobbled-up by the SEC. Fisher is below average. And UF is going to give y'all a glimpse of what it would do to a Charlie Strong team in the Sugar Bowl.

In other words, you're in some trouble with the coach thing. It looks like you might have to sell your soul (again) and go with Petrino.

pcshowtime writes:

Guys can anyone tell me if these ADs like dave hart have agents like the coaches. If this is true to me this is the same as bid fixing. just wondering does anyone know????

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

Of the big money canidates, Gundy would be my second choice. Fisher was an OL, then OC before becoming HC (sound familiar), he'd be the first choice with Chip Kelley third. The next tier ( this is by $expenditures, not if the person is the best choice) would be Strong, Jones, and Mark Hudspeth. Any of these guys would be okay.

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to ArVol:

If Petrino offered to pay the last staff's buy out, and work for free the next 2 years.......even then NO! He is a bad fit for the university and has trouble keeping his word. Look at past history!

pcshowtime writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

Gator hater good Defensive Coordinators can be found easer than good Offensive Coordinators.

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to ArmyDad:

That was 5 years ago. He's still a man! He's 45!

As silly as it sounded then, he stood up for one of his players. When was the last time a UT coach did that?

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

I got news for you people. Just like last time, when you ended up with the La Tech doofus, nobody of significance wants this job. You're destined to get a Mike Gundy or Jimbo Fisher type, at best. And I've never heard of this Butch Jones dude. Strong would be okay, but he won't beat UF and he knows it, because he was on the inside so many years.

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Well if he would want to bring his staff with him (which he would probably do)then we would go through the same phooey we are going through now. We would score 40+ points and let the other team score 50.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

Wasn't Davis caught up in some NCAA rules violations at UNC??

If I am not mistaken Butch Davis was fired at N.C. If you check back further I think he was in trouble before he came to N.C. I couldn't believe it when they hired him.

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

You might as well call him Mike Guny (no D)

mountainbrook writes:

in response to ArVol:

Petrino has allegedly been hired by Idaho:

pcshowtime writes:

Does anyone know if the ADs of these colleges are represented by agenst like the coaches??? I hate to repeat the post but I can not find out anything about it on the web.

BolivrBob writes:

Petrino is a no-brainer, IMO. Proven SEC contender. Contractual safeguards can be lmplemented. If you pay him the money to stay and back that up with UT's comittment and facilities, he won't be going anywhere. I stand in no moral judgment over anyone. I'm glad this triple eight dude wasn't around when Mary Magdaline was washing Jesus's feet with her hair with wine. No telling how things would have ended up. We are looking for a coach, not Mr. Rogers.

GatorHater1998 writes: