John Adams: Even though it won't be Jon Gruden, the new coach will win over UT fans at media conference

John Adams

What is your reaction to Jon Gruden not being UT's next football coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee's search for a football coach will gain momentum this week. More momentum, less fun.

My only hope is that some persistent talk-show host or media personality will rise above the facts and spout bravely: "This Gruden thing ain't dead yet."

The search was so much more entertaining with Jon Gruden involved. As someone told me early last week, "I just have a feeling we're going to get Gruden."

But both Gruden and his agent informed us a few days later that he's quite happily employed by "Monday Night Football," and seemingly disinterested in an opportunity to overtake Vanderbilt as the most successful SEC football program in the state of Tennessee. Even the most fervent Gruden believers are struggling to take that as a positive sign he will be the next football coach at Tennessee.

So what's left?

How about: Bob Stoops leaving his national powerhouse at Oklahoma for the challenge of lifting the Vols above Missouri in the SEC East?

Despite the denials, Gruden still seemed a more plausible candidate than Stoops. Now, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher seemingly has swerved off the rumor mill as well.

It's worth noting that at no point did a UT fan tell me, "I just have a feeling we're going to get Jimbo," perhaps because he didn't care if the Vols got Jimbo. Many Florida State fans might not care, either.

The Seminoles just won the ACC championship and are headed to a third consecutive bowl under Fisher. Similar success at UT would warrant a street being named after you. But at a program as stout as Florida State's and in a conference as infirm as the ACC, that constitutes underachieving.

Don't get the wrong idea. Fisher would be an upgrade for UT. But he wouldn't be Gruden.

Neither would Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, whose name keeps popping up as a candidate. He has done a nice job at his alma mater, but he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring and a weekly prime-time forum on national television.

So how will UT fans get past Gruden?

Answer: Easier than you might think.

Sure, fans will initially lament the news that someone not named Jon Gruden has been hired to coach their football team. But they will adjust. After all, what choice do they have? It's not as though athletic director Dave Hart can fire the new guy — then hire Gruden — if the Vols struggle through spring practice.

Everything will change once Tennessee introduces its new coach at a media conference. He could show up in pajamas, slur his words and drool, and the majority of fans would find something redeeming about him. The only alternative is utter despair about the fate of UT's football program.

It's so much easier to win a media conference than it is an SEC game. Recently hired Mark Stoops just told Kentucky fans that you could win an SEC championship there. Never mind if there is a greater chance of the SEC moving the game from Atlanta to Mars than it is Kentucky even playing in it. Optimism plays well at such gatherings, and hope soars heaven-bound.

When former UT coach Derek Dooley was hired three years ago, fans raved about his southern roots and accent. Some were impressed with more than that.

A colleague overheard one fan saying at the media conference, "He reminds me of a young Nick Saban."

Bourbon-please writes:

Ha Ha I know pretty funny but true!

atnvol#283282 writes:

I wasted 5-6 minutes of my life reading this bull shet.

wmaze24 writes:

Did we even try for Patterson or Peterson....

TommyJack writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

I wasted 5-6 minutes of my life reading this bull shet.

5-6 minutes? You need remedial reading, pal.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to wmaze24:

Did we even try for Patterson or Peterson....

It's hard to say for sure, and we may never know. Patterson seems to be quite content at TCU,...rumor had it that Peterson turned us down three years ago and seems to be showing no interest this time.

I hope we hear something by Friday! We need to turn our attention to recruting, regardless of the coach, you have to get those good players!

orange_n_peoria writes:

Why don't we hear anything about Tommy Tuberville? He is a defensive coach. He won 7 of 10 vs Alabama while at Auburn. He landed the highest-rated recruiting class in Texas Tech history. He has proven he can win in the sec. I think he may be our best option.

Volunatic writes:

JA kickin' us while we're down. Again. SSDD.

Pistolpete13579 writes:

JA,
...................nothing, just forget it.

60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

5-6 minutes? You need remedial reading, pal.

Now thats funny TommyJack!

pingkr62 writes:

Why is anyone still clinging to this Jon Gruden B.S.!

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

5-6 minutes? You need remedial reading, pal.

Well hell, it could have been 2-3 minutes but seemed like a eternity....pal.

798orange writes:

Adams is a knowledgeable writer, but the cute sarcasm is often overdone and out of place.

wycoller writes:

in response to Volunatic:

JA kickin' us while we're down. Again. SSDD.

JA (my, how those initials fit) cannot write an article about UT without getting in a dig or two. In particular, the one about Vandy being the more successful SEC team in the state. Well, Vandy can enjoy their 15 minutes of fame and, in a short span, they will be back to SOV.

notorange writes:

FSU d'backs coach leaving to join stoops at ky....might Jimbo be next to leave??

zombievol writes:

Las Vegas odds on favorite is between Jim Tressel or Butch Davis, with the latter being the the most favored... Despite past transgressions I think our program would flourish under either of those coaches

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to zombievol:

Me, too.

Observer43 writes:

John Adams repeatedly called for Fulmer's firing. Now we see where the program is.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to zombievol:

Butch Davis has openly indicated he would like to get back into coaching and he has won everywhere he's been. He has coached in the NFL and recruited from North Carolina to Florida VERY successfully. He claims the NCAA exonerated him in the UNC academic scandal. If true, he's a steal on the order of Bobby Petrino, without the girlfriend, the drama, or the propensity to leave current employers holding the bag. Tressel, another great coach, has a show-cause order through the 2016 season. Teams who have just had their probation increased by two years do NOT need to hire a man the NCAA calls a cheater. Strong apparently waiting to hear if he's offered the job and he probably will be as soon as Gundy gets his raise from OSU. This is the week boys and girls, buckle your seatbelts. Go Vols!!!

underthehill writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

I wasted 5-6 minutes of my life reading this bull shet.

Don't waste 5-6 minutes of your life..stay away from free news..go buy something..

VFLVFLVFL writes:

Here we go again adams. 2 shay. I get it. Adams likes to stir the pot. Its just obnoxious. Please find a positive story somewhere. Go do some investigative reporting. Interview an athlete deserving of a pat on back. Stop trying to throw jabs at program on the slide

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

JA, in his efforts to type,
Came up with a few lines of tripe.
A column, useful only to swipe,
Regions, where all things are ripe.

H, Preparation! Cried the Vol Nation,
As they read this miserable piece.
Holy thunderation! Find a new destination!
John Adams, give us merciful release.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to wmaze24:

Did we even try for Patterson or Peterson....

Everyone else is going after Patterson so hopefully we are too, I think Patterson is the perfect hire but I don't believe he is budging

BuckFama writes:

The only people I hear mentioning Gruden are the local media guys. If it weren't for the talk shows and JA, I wouldn't have heard or read his name all day. They won't let it rest...they'll be mentioning him even after the new coach is announced. Yet they'll show their disdain for UT fans by talking about how WE can't let it rest.

The local press, John Adams included, is obsessed with Jon Gruden.

redmcman writes:

funny and true. We are a better program than florida state if for no other reason we are in the sec

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Well, I for one really liked the line about there being a better chance of the SEC moving the championship game to Mars than of Kentucky ever even playing in it. So, so true.

Speaking of Kentucky....Did anybody see their basketball program just set another record? Yep, they just keep on breaking records up there. This time, it's for the biggest single-week drop in the AP poll in history -- from #8 to gone.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to zombievol:

It won't be either one of them. Use your head and don't rely on Vegas.

TheCopper writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Lets see if you can concentrate for, oh, 5 or 6 seconds without trying to bash Hart or Dooley and try to answer a question that was asked of you earlier on another thread. It's a question you seem to not want to answer. Who do you think should be UT's next coach? You can't answer "Fulmer", either. He is gone and isn't coming back.

General_Jack writes:

I won't make the mistake of reading a John Adams article again.

Mocking our program.

That's great KNS... great work there. You should be proud.

Newspapers are dying because of garbage like this. Any blow hard hack blogger could of written this garbage. Why bother with this clown on your payroll? Get a real journalist, someone who will ask questions and provide insightful analysis over this shell game of a coaching search.

CrankE writes:

"The search was so much more entertaining with Jon Gruden involved."

Says the Head Sports Pierce at KnoxNewzPravda, whose site has been doing all they can to keep the Grumors going and the website visits up to support their own failing enterprize.

Adamz has nothing to offer but Troll Mix.

I call upon all Volunteers to boycott everything related to KnoxNewzPravda. No more web visits, no more comments, nothing. They can fire Adams or go bankrupt. tomayto, tomahto.

I'm done.

cloudodust writes:

Gruden gets tons of praise for what he's done. Rightly so. Not too many get praise for what they might do...except Gruden. Let's hop off this nightmare (ink seller) of second guessing the employers and the employee prospects. Going forward, here's to hoping Tennessee lands the right guy for a longer haul than a cup of joe. In my own miniscule way, I wish Fulmer was the AD hiring the next HC...

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to BuckFama:

The local press, John Adams included, is obsessed with Jon Gruden.

Hey, if Gruden was all in for Tennessee and wanted to bring it to the SEC and see what he could do against Saban and the other baddies... I'd jump all over it. He frickin' knows football and recruits would file in to play for this guy. Could he do the job and win a National Title for Tennessee? I don't know. Maybe that is what holds Gruden back. The ESPN gig is a way easier job, but not a challenge at all.

I really look forward to Hart's decision on who to bring on as our new head coach. It must be someone who can recruit like mad and start beating Florida. And Bama. And Oregon...

SaintDeacon187 writes:

I'm having trouble finding the words to describe this inspirational piece. Pulitzer prize material. Insight. Knowledge. Wisdom. Thank you, John. The way that you write whatever words come to mind, you make it seem so effortless, as if there is little to no effort being made. How? Teach me. Teach me how to spew words. To be a Cheetos crumb in that 14-year old keyboard of yours...one can only dream.

eduardo writes:

Something about this coaching search is awful fishy!

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

No Adam's.... I will not find nothing redeeming In a pajama wearing drooler..... Nice to know you think so highly of Tennessee fan base

cloudodust writes:

in response to Observer43:

Go easy on John. It's called, 'Chuck Oliver Disease' but named only after it was found in laboratory rats post the 2012 SECCG. btw, it specifically attacks sportswriters. There is a cure. It's called Gruden Enigma Serum...

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to SaintDeacon187:

LMAO. Funny post!

born2ride writes:

Any coach hired other than Gruden will be a big disappointment.

pcorange writes:

My goodness, what a lovely and positive piece about Tennessee football. The truth hurts.

RodneyHopper writes:

Pete Carroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redskinvol1 writes:

GET FISHER!!

Ares writes:

Wes Rucker is a moron and knows nothing... I am from Chattanooga and we have close business ties with the CTFP and word is Gruden is still in play. I am not sure why knoxville media is not even giving it any attention.

rabblerowser writes:

in response to wycoller:

Maybe...but right now they're having a lot fun kicking the s... Out of that bunch of has beens from the east

tdvol1989 writes:

It isn't that it won't be Gruden...if it isn't Gruden. The issue is that the last 2 guys making the decision do not believe we are worth the best.

The Huckleberry Haw Haw fans will cheer no matter what. Just because the search is over, they will resort to lectures on why UT is not a premier job and how it was a coup just to get ANYONE to take the position for $3.5 Million. There will be a debate. Then, those same PBR guzzling sheep will begin to lecture ANY FAN with ANY concern on how the only way to prove you are a true Vol fan is to cheer cheer cheer and ignore anything negative. In fact, if we hired Joker Phillips and ANYONE predicted less than 10 wins, then that person would be labeled a troll. And then, of course, we will be reminded of how this was all Fulmers's fault...Kiffin's fault...Dooley's fault...Hamilton's fault...the unrealistic fans' fault, etc. Yawn!

But, here is the deal. Hamilton panicked when Kiffin left and lowered the bar. It appears Hart has too. It isn't that the Tennessee job is not a premier College Football job anymore. The issue is that the person making the call...and the hire doesn't think so.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Any coach hired other than Gruden will be a big disappointment.

Well maybe, you could argue that. But, I respectfully disagree. I think there are other guys that could be hired that would still please the majoritiy. But, the deal is this.

It cannot be a coach getting a MAJOR STEP UP or HIS FIRST BIG BREAK or a SAFE HIRE. It would have to be a coach that EVERYONE else wants. A $5 Million guy.

But, the issue with not getting Gruden is not that we could not get him. If you do your homework, you will find that there was interest on his part. Hart did not go get him. He did not want him. So, the issue is that Hart thinks we need a guy like Jimbo Fisher. Fine, I don't. I wish we had an AD that was COMMITTED to winning Championships.

Theo writes:

in response to TheCopper:

He will not answer you. The loser Flower's brother will not pick a favorite because then he would not be able to betch about the coach non-stop. His only jolly is tearing down.
I really was disappointed Hart was hired. I don't like him and think he does not support women's athletics. But I swear to God, I'm starting to like him just because Flowers is such a rat's hiney about him.

OrangePsyched writes:

Adams doesn't care if you're offended or night as long as you post. Until most agree to stop posting in response to his trash nothing will change.

Millisa writes:

GRUDEN Or Dungy or Cowher

thecafeongreenwood writes:

"He could show up in pajamas, slur his words and drool, and the majority of fans would find something redeeming about him." Translation: TN fans are stupid. I bet he follows this one up with a feel good article. It's easy to see J.A. is a Rope a Dope artist. I'm done. This will be my last click and comment on a J.A. article.

walt2010 writes:

It took me a while to fully develop the utter contempt for the buffoon that is John Adams, that many other Vol fans preceded me with. But I'm there now.

Congrats, Adams, you are officially a fatuous, worthless a@s.

Snapshot writes:

in response to TheCopper:

It is obvious, he thinks HE should be the coach. All this krap he posts, it is apparent he thinks he knows everything about everything!