Names to watch: Tennessee coaching search Day 18 (updated Dec. 6)

Cincinnati coach Butch Jones cheers on his team after a touchdown in the second half of the team's 27-10 win over South Florida in an NCAA college football game, Friday, Nov. 23, 2012, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Al Behrman)

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee -- Twenty-four hours ago, Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart thought his search for a new head coach was wrapped up.

Today, Hart was back in town, plotting the next direction after being turned down by Louisville coach Charlie Strong.

As Hart refocuses the search, we refreshed our list. We don't know for a fact that Hart will remove some of his previous parameters -- like required head coaching experience -- but it's at least a possibility. Our new list reflects that.

Continue reading at Evan Woodbery's blog, Evan's Eleven.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

edee writes:

Here goes Hart again.....how will a coach feel when Hart contacts him and he knows what number he is on the list....and how many have said NO...Hart just go away...Jimmy Haslam move in.....You know more than Hart

VolBall18 writes:

I still think hiring Chavis as HC and someone like Petrino as OC would be amazing. You can't tell me that recruits wouldn't love to play for a team with both of them on it.

KDOG1973 writes:

The only guy I see who would be a "Great" hire (Notice I said "Great") would be Jim Mora Jr from U.C.L.A.

arkansasvol1975 writes:

We are the laughing stock of college football. Dave Hart has handled this miserably. Dooley needed to be fired after the Kentucky lose, hart waited way too late to fire the man! Now, he still will not pull out the big money to get the hire they want. Every coach is using us to get a bigger contract because UT will not pay more than $3.4 million a year. Look what Bama did with Saben, gave him $5 million a year and keys to every damn bank in Tuscaloosa. I think Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek need to be the next two in line on the fired list. LOOK at our program and where it is going! Of course, UT will probably give Hart and Cheek millions in buyout and they go away laughing just like that Mike Hamilton did. Lets fire the whole lot and start over! UT what are you going to do when 30,000 fans are the only ones that show up for games?

NoogaVol55 writes:

Call Butch Davis today and get this thing over with.

dyerbey#281598 writes:

Stop with the Butch Jones BS already, he is not the second coming of Brian Kelly. Kelly was 17-4 in three seasons at Cincinnati. Jones is 12-9 in three seasons at Cinncinnati, included in the 9 losses was a 45-23 whipping by Derek Dooley. Look at the records before you throw out stupid names.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

Dabo Swinney needs to be removed from the list so he can stay at Clemson and figure out how to beat SC next year. He has lost to them 4 straight times....And TN does not need that string of losses to the roosters.

StoneJackBaller writes:

Replace our AD who should've had this all worked out before firing Dooley. Hire Fulmer as AD.

edee writes:

Coaches are suppose to be role models, guys players respect..Not Petrino...

arkansasvol1975 writes:

The ONLY one that makes sense is John "chief" Chavis. Tennessee man all the way and would get this program back. We need a Tennessee man, course I doubt chief would take it after being the 5th man on the list.

StoneJackBaller writes:

Reckon Phil could get Chavis to come back? Phil as HC, Chavis as DC. Phil could coach a few years until Peyton retires and get the keys to the kingdom.

oskie_score writes:

The ice is becoming very thin, cracks beginning to form...

albert63 writes:

Ron Zook is available, great recruiter!

laraccoon writes:

Butch Jones , and he wants it to .

oskie_score writes:

I rem Chief has a desire to be a HC.

edee writes:

Remember...........WHEN MONEY TALKS...COACHES WALK......

oskie_score writes:

Hmm? That's not what I orig posted, let's try that again...
EDIT: Truthfully, not sure Chief has a desire to be a HC.

illinoisvolfan writes:

Good grief!!

RoyaltyVol writes:

Its hard to get excited over a Kirby Smart or Butch Jones hire, though both are good coaches. Even a Bo Pelini doesnt interest me.I hope Hart has an ace in the hole.

VOLsince68 writes:

I thought Butch Jones had already accepted another job? Colorado I think.

traderjoe writes:

I'll bet Hart's wife is beginning to wonder if the rumors were true that she was the last girl in the 3rd sororiety Hart proposed to before she said yes.

oskie_score writes:

Of Evan's list, I like these two for Hart's "short list"...Mora, Jr and Roman.

thevoice writes:

Probably time to seriously look at lower tier programs for a replacement. Lots of good coaches who haven't made it to the bigtime yet. I think many folk are forgetting that not every coach wants to risk their career by jumping to the SEC.

edee writes:

Nebraska Pelini.....as Woodbery said..WORTH A CALL.......

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

Kirby Smart can keep his rearend in Alabama, NO WAY!

Butch Jones at least has been a Head Coach. Taking his team to some bowl games.

If those 2 are the only choices left I take JONES.

A guy I would go after since obviously no big names are coming are way is the guy from Mich St. Mark Dantonio their defense was 4th in the country behind Ala, FSU, and BYU. Why not see if hes interested. He hasn't had that Big Time spotlight program yet , like Tennessee is.

TheEffect writes:

I think Tennessee will settle for Butch Jones. He just turned down Colorado in hope of getting the Tennessee job. Throw $25 and a bag of Krystal's at him, and he will be on the next Greyhound Bus to Knoxville.

govolsgo8586 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

What makes you think Fulmer would be a great AD he has no experience at all doing that. However, he has a lot of experience as a coach it would be more logical to say hire Fulmer as the HC instead of saying hire him as the AD.

Vol43 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

Chavis is is not coming to Knoxville unless he's vacationing in Gatlinburg. I fear we're in for a cold hard winter of years. It's a bad nightmare.

TKO writes:

If you want the best coach available, hire Petrino now.
Players want to be coached and improve their skills. If not, go hire Joel Osteen and be happy with the revivals after each loss.

wigmeister writes:

This is easy. I think I should be the next coach here at UT. I have no coaching experience, but will take the position for $100,000 + bonuses based on team performance. Think of the savings that the athletic department will accrue. With my paltry salary, we would be back in the black after only a couple of seasons. All these buyouts will be taken care of in much quicker fashion. I would require a raise every year of $10,000 no matter what the record may be. After my being on board for three years, if the team is not doing well, the school will be in amazing shape financially to find my replacement. But who knows, I could turn out to be a great long term hire!

dragon18 writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

OK who on the list of available coaches would you pay 5 million for? Please don't say Gruden, his only college experience is as a graduate assistant, Saban had won a NC. Gruden may be a great Xs and Os guy, but that is a fraction of what head coaches do in college sports. It's my understanding that they approached 4 mil for Strong...Way too much! I think the panic and wringing of hands has reached a point of dementia in all of this. We will wind up with a good coach like Larry Fedora, Butch Jones or some other on par with these guys. We will pay them in the 3 to 3.5 range and have a better coach than we have had since Fulmer had the drive to win (about 10 years). Let's hope that reality sets in around the UT program and the fan base can unify and begin to help heal the program. But please everyone, there is no conspiracy and none of US that post here know much of anything internal to the search. Let it play out and if you don't support the hire... Please keep your thoughts to yourself until the end of his second year as coach. Otherwise you will only be harming the program.

BlueHarley writes:

It is interesting that Dan Mullen's name has never really come up as a serious consideration......

calvolfromkingsport writes:

Strong should have been given the job instead of kiffin. Gary Patterson would be a great hire, but why would any sucessful coach want to be at Tennessee with most of the fickle fans that follow them calling for his head after every loss. This is some painful medicine.

Rumblefish writes:

Get ready for Dooley 2.0

Hart should have had his man in place BEFORE firing Dooley to avoid this freaking circus.

vettefool writes:

in response to TheEffect:

bingo, unless he takes the wisky job while hart and crew are screwing around.
what a cluster. after this is over the governor should fire ut president and athletic director and anyone else involved in this coach search.

RoyaltyVol writes:

I read where Alvarez at Wisconsin was at least going to put in a call to Chris Peterson. Are we placing those same calls? Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson would be homerun hires IMO.

kwcoach writes:

Mora Jr. or an NFL guy...the only real splash we can make now is to get the old band back together. It would at least get us some positive publicity.

MD_Vol writes:

in response to oskie_score:

Hmm? That's not what I orig posted, let's try that again...
EDIT: Truthfully, not sure Chief has a desire to be a HC.

Chief has said repeatedly that he does not desire to be a head coach. I think Tuberville is the best fit, culturally and experience-wise.

volinlm writes:

I still believe that Dan Mullen is the best suited candidate out there. Maybe there are more proven coaches (like Butch Jones), but Mullen has a three year winning record at MSU and that ain't easy. His salary would fit, and he has SEC ties. Of course, maybe Dan's not interested, either.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to wigmeister:

I like it..... You, sir, are hired. Please see Dave Hart in the morning for T shirts and orientation.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to BlueHarley:

That's because he seriously should not be considered.

Volbound1700 writes:

Greg Roman sounds like an interesting candidate.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

Effin Bama fans and Vol haters everywhere are calling Jack Arute show on sirius XM saying Terry Bowden should be next coach. PUUUULLEEEZE. Can we say botched hire as of right now? It looks like another botched coaching hire. I hope I am wrong and all.

RoyaltyVol writes:

If we can't get a homerun hire then why not:
Hire John Chavis HC. Keep Cheney as OC and keep entire offensive staff except I would hire Tee Martin for QB's coach. Then I'd go out and spend $1 m a year for a great DC, someone like a Ted Roof at Penn State. Then I'd pay coach Phil Fulmer a 1 month salary as a transition consultant to help Chavis and new staff to get adjusted to new transition. Do this and we will win!!

CCLC writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

".....UT what are you going to do when 30,000 fans are the only ones that show up for games?"

Raise ticket prices? 3 hotdogs and a coke with each ticket purchase? Date with a member of the "Orange Pride."

Let's get creative here sports fans.

oskie_score writes:

in response to MD_Vol:

I like TT but not for Tennessee.

BlueHarley writes:

in response to volinlm:

I agree. Anytime you can win as many games as he has at a place with better dairy facilities than football digs, your doing something right....

MrFootball1963 writes:

I have not seen this guys name mentioned anywhere except connected to the Boston College job but why not look at Notre Dame Defensive Coordinator Bob Giaco. He just won the Broyles Award as the best assistant coach in America. He is also the Assistant Head Coach. He's 39 years old and has been the DC at ND for 3 years. If your gonna mention Kirby Smart you should at least look at this guy too.

Hound_Dog69 writes:

PETRINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottallen6691#1412403 writes:

Kirby Smith or Berry from ULM we need to think about Tressle, thinking its time to go up north and get some players, more so Linemen Def. and Offen. Smith, Berry, and Tressle was my first choice from the start and the TCU coach, It was silly to think Gruden or Gundy, and to me Strong is over rated. Need somebody to build and who can turn a 3 star player into a 5 star,