Polls: Are you confident in Dave Hart? Should UT re-hire Phillip Fulmer?

Dave Hart, left, and Phillip Fulmer.

(News Sentinel Photos)

News Sentinel

Dave Hart, left, and Phillip Fulmer. (News Sentinel Photos)

Are you confident in athletic director Dave Hart's ability to land a quality coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Should Tennessee consider re-hiring Phillip Fulmer?

See the results »

View previous polls »

As Tennessee's coaching search approaches the three-week mark, a pair of questions based of off radio chatter and online postings sprang to mind:

Are you confident in Dave Hart's ability to land a quality coach?

Should Tennessee consider re-hiring Phillip Fulmer?

(iPad and tablet users can vote by clicking on the appropriate question)

shipperman#280095 writes:

well, Florida, Bama, Georgia and Steve Spurrier hope we rehire Fulmer, so you tell me

Ayres_Hall writes:

Both questions are beyond stupid.

SummerfieldVol writes:

Not NO,but H*** NO

tomatosoup writes:

No....no faith in Hart at all!!! Question for you folks in Tennessee....Living in Northern, VA, a buddy of mine from Chattabuggy called me this morning and mentioned that a head coach at South Pittsburgh Highschool resigned yesterday evening and apparently, he has some ties to John Gruden. Is there ANY chance the reason the South Pittsburgh High Coach resigned was to join Gruden's staff at UT or is this just wishfull thinking?

Vol86 writes:

No and yes. And in three years payton is oc and head coach in waiting

MGVOL22 writes:

I hate to say it, but we need to hire Petrino RIGHT NOW!! He is a proven winner, I hate his past as far as morals go...but the ONLY thing to get ROCKY TOP back to being ROCKY TOP is winning right now.

Govols1995 writes:

Bring back Fulmer! We don't need another Dooley and that's all we can look for right now. No big name coach wants the Job that's quite clear!!!

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Fulmer's weakest link was that he would not hire the best assistants available - as good as he was at UT, he'd have been even better if he'd have hired good assistants.

If he'd hire the best staff that he could come up with, maybe - in restrospect, things would not be any worse had he been allowed to right the ship. The last four years have certainly sucked.

Every program and every coach that has any longevity goes thru a down cycle. We could do a lot worse, and with each passing day it appears that the candidate pool is drying up.

BigOrangeRock writes:

YES!!! FULMER FULMER FULMER!!!!

Finally the real debate has made it even this far...

Bringing Fulmer back would put us back on the map the second it happened!!!

THE ROCK HAS SPOKEN!!!

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

The Sports Editor of the Chattanooga Times Free Press said the other night on the radio that Jon Gruden reads his daily sports blog. And he wondered if stories printed in his newspaper lead Gruden away for the Vols job.

Stupidity reins in Vol Land. You can chose to believe the media or use logic to not.

wallingdad writes:

I think it is time for the administration to take a serious look at the athletic program as a whole. I think Hart was a quick hire that had almost no due dilligence done. It is time to clean house and bring in some competent people at the top. I cannot believe that Strong turned us down simply because of money and the love for Louisville. He probably saw the train wreck in the administration and decided he did not want to deal with all the dysfunction.

bljvol writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

YES!!! FULMER FULMER FULMER!!!!

Finally the real debate has made it even this far...

Bringing Fulmer back would put us back on the map the second it happened!!!

THE ROCK HAS SPOKEN!!!

Tell me why would you want FUlmer back when he was the one responsible for the downward spiral to where Tennessee Football currently is??????? Or is your memory so short you forgot His last 5 years of coaching and recruiting??????? and hires?????????? He was a reat coach in his day but that ship has sailed long ago and his day is long past we need a new HC with new current coaching ideas and the desire to win and stay at Tennessee period not Fulmer and not some has been or bum like petrino or Davis

BigOrangeRock writes:

in response to Govols1995:

Yes, AMEN!!!

I BELIEVE!!!

BigOrangeRock writes:

in response to bljvol:

I will tell you why, because everything you just spewed is nonesense.

The Rock has Spoken...

wallingdad writes:

I can only imagine what Hart says in the opening interview statement..."well, I know we are not Alabama and I am sure that is really where you would like to coach but how about coaching here?"

or something like that.
(yeah, i am very bitter about the influx of all the bama rejects)

BrassMonkey writes:

As much as I hate to say it, it is time to let Fulmer come in for a year or two and Bill Snyder Knoxville back into shape. Karma is biting us right now and the only way to stop is to right the wrong that took place when we canned our HOF coach once season removed from the SEC championship.

BigOrangeRock writes:

I hate Alabama forest gump idiots, but even the Bear had 2 6 win seasons in 69 and 70, then came back for another decade of dominance...

The game changes, adapting takes time, Fulmer is the answer, have no doubts!!!

GO VOLS!!!

The rock has spoken...

underthehill writes:

Hart should not have even been considered for the AD job at UT..now that he is here..whoever is pulling his string ain't tugging too well..

BigOrangeRock writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Thank-you, my cooler is once again open to you.

volzcrushm writes:

Yes to Fulmer...Keep Chaney as OC and bring back Chavis as DC.

thevoice writes:

About the only things I'm confident in now are taxes and death.

BigDaddyOrange writes:

In my opinion, Fulmer would be better than hiring someone from the lower ranks - a repeat of the Dooley era. I am not sure that he would be our best option, but it looks like our best options have said, "thanks but no thanks" to Tennessee. I truly believe that Fulmer would at least bring the program back to a respectful level in the SEC. I don't think we could expect any champtionships. As bad as I hate to even type this.... our only other option at a winning coach is Petrino. I have been against that hire from the beginning, but I think right now he is our best option. To me, these two names are all we have left to cling to right now. I had big dreams that David Shaw could be lured away from the Pac12 to have a chance at the mighty SEC, but after Strong (a man with very strong ties to the SEC) said no, well... no way Shaw would come. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream big, unless you're a vol fan right now. As far as Hart goes, I don't think any AD for Tennessee could do any better. It's not Harts fault that the luster of UT has lost it's shine. I feel like fickle fans have more to do with coaches saying no to Tennessee than Hart doing a poor job. He's gone after all of the right people. They've just said no. Anyway... that's my opinion among many.

antonio14313 writes:

i don't think that petrino could handle the temptation that UT brings. i mean, c'mon now: the girls on the hill are far more attractive than the girls in arkansas! ;) go vols!

t

wbsmd1 writes:

Fire Cheek first, then Hart, hire Fulmer as AD and go see Gruden. Probably would still be no but it would be a solid starting place.

TKO writes:

If you need surgery, do you want a saint or a surgeon that can get the job done? I don't care what the surgeon has done in is personal life, only the fact that he can do the surgery.
HIRE PETRINO!

BigBadVol writes:

I'm losing confidence in Mr. Hart. With all the secrecy and with three weeks, all we get is a "no" from a coach at LOUISVILLE! It's pathetic. With the facilities we have and being in the SEC, we should have quality coaches beating down the door for the opportunity. Oh I forgot, we have great tradition also. It appears Hart is not doing a good job getting any interest from quality coaches. Our commitments are being left to wonder what is up with this fiasco. It is heartbreaking to watch the university I love and graduated from go through this mess. Cheeks needs to go immediately. And Hamilton can go **** himself.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

The game changes, adapting takes time, Fulmer is the answer, have no doubts!!!

GO VOLS!!!

The rock has spoken...

From the Freak to the Rock:

At first, I thought you were kidding. Bring back Coach Fulmer? Really?

As you said yourself "The game changes, adapting takes time." Yes the game does change, but if you have convinced yourself that Coach Fulmer has changed with it, you're drinking out of the same batch of Kool-Aid that was left over from his last years here.

CPF was FIRED because he had become complacent, and was incapable of rolling with the changes that had occured in the game. With the departure of David Cutcliffe he became exposed as a good game administrator who relied heavily on competent coordinators--Cutcliffe and Chavis--to make him look better.

Fulmer made contributions to this program that will not be forgotten, but bringing him back now would be an enormous mistake. We need to move on.

The Freak has spoken...

lknvol writes:

I agree with wbsmd1! Clean house, and hire Fulmer as AD.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

Hire Kirby Smart. Hire Bobby Petrino. Hire Jim Mora, Jr.

Hire me for God's sake.

To offer this job and have it be rejected time after time, leaves a stink around the position and erodes our national perception further.

Hire SOMEBODY!

utvolorange writes:

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHY IS DAVE HART NOT BEING FIRED OVER THIS!!!!!!!! OR WHY HASNT NCAA STEPED IN ON THIS. ALL OF THESE GUYS JIMBO FISHER, MIKE GUNDY, CHARLIE STRONG AND DAVE HART HAVE THE SAME AGENT JIMMY SEXTON!!! ARE WE REALLY THIS STUPID TO LET A A.D. TO USE THE UNIVERSITY HIRING AS A WAY FOR HIS AGENT TO GET HIS CLIENT RAISES??

TKO writes:

Hire pPetrino with a contract loaded with "show cause" language and require him to pay UT upon his departure, i.e. if he leaves after one year, he pays UT three million, if he leaves after two years, he pays UT two million, if he leaves after three years, he pays UT one million, etc...

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to antonio14313:

t

A full set of teeth makes all the difference in the world, lol.

Seriously, I'm even starting to come around on Petrino and I've been against him from the beginning. Bottom line is that the Vols need a HC...now. Desperate times in Vol Nation.

DingoVol writes:

Coach Fulmer was a great recruiter and he surrounded himself with great coaches. That being said, how good were we when Cutcliffe was gone? Fulmer did less with more than any coach in college history. I know this will upset alot of the Vol faithful, but Steve Spurrior would have won 4 National Championships with our teams in the 90's. We had more NFL players on our roster in the 90's than any other school. That is why Fulmer struggled at the end. He was the same coach, just wasn't getting the talent. Fulmer was great for the University, but selective remembering doesn't make him the answer.

TKO writes:

in response to utvolorange:

I wonder who Petrino's agent is????

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

Worst article/idea ever!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

Butch Jones and 20 other candidates are better, stop drinking and chasing skirts bad for brain.

tlallman writes:

Hart better pull a rabbitt out of his hat, or he will be run out of town on a rail. He needs to quit screwing around, and do what Alabama did to hire Saban.

Mudcat58 writes:

No to Foolmer. His allowing the program to decline is why we are where we are now.

bobbyutvol writes:

Yes Today

BlueHarley writes:

in response to TKO:

I wonder who Petrino's agent is????

Charlie Strong does not have an agent. That's why the negotiations dragged on forever.....

tlallman writes:

Interesting photo of Hart with his back to Fulmer. Boby language says it all.

willblitz4bacon writes:

If you want to bring a coach back it should be JOHNNY MAJORS!! CPF inherited a good program that already had quality staff.

wireless_vol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

A local Chatt. Sports writer (Chris Goforth)said on face book last night to the South Pitt. coach
"Good luck in Knoxville..Oh wait did I just say that out loud? Whoops!!"

So you can add that in with your wishlist I guess.

edee writes:

Hire a FIRED coach back???? Who in the H*** came up with this poll......What a slam to UT football and fans..Are we that DESPERATE...?

FlaVol70 writes:

Fire Hart? Probably.
Rehire Fulmer? Not so sure. He could be a stabilizing influence to get the program back on track, but there are a lot of questions. Could he hire top quality coordinators? Would UT pay for top quality coordinators? The next few days will be interesting and probably gut wrenching.

MGVOL22 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Just so you know, not only am I a Vol Alum and football lettermen, but I personally coached with Butch Jones at WVU, so I know he is a great coach .. I would be fine with Butch....One thing is known right now is that Petrino WINS and WINS in the SEC ... What does UT need? WINS!!

edee writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Both questions are beyond stupid.

Ayres-Hall....Beyond stupid to INSANE

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Bobby Dodd played QB at UT, coached Ga Tech to one National Championship, had a great win percentage and goes into the hall of fame. Ga Tech names the stadium after him. Fulmer play at UT, wins a national Championship, has a better win percentage than dodd, goes into the Hall of Fame and Ut FIRES HIM!!!! Delusional Idiots get what they deserve. As a vandy fan I hope Fulmer does not come back, we love beating the new bottom dwellers. Firing fulmer has proven to be the biggest dissaster in SEC coaching. Yet some idiots still support their decesion. UT deserves to be laughed at and belive me you are..

TKO writes:

Pain Petrino on the rock. Just put safety cones around it
Petrino, like it or not, is the most qualified available.

pcorange writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

That's funny, I don't care who you are!