Vols not ready to quit, but are they ready to score?

1946 is last time UT had under 40 twice

Steve Helber/Associated Press
Virginia forward Akil Mitchell looks for room under the basket as Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes, right, defends during the second half of Wednesday's game in Charlottesville, Va.  Virginia won 46-38.

Photo by Steve Helber

Steve Helber/Associated Press Virginia forward Akil Mitchell looks for room under the basket as Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes, right, defends during the second half of Wednesday's game in Charlottesville, Va. Virginia won 46-38.

Steve Helber/Associated Press

Photo by Steve Helber

A parting message for Tennessee men's basketball hung high on the far wall above the south basket at Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena on Wednesday.

"I have not yet begun to fight."

It was 1798 when John Paul Jones, the greatest naval officer of the American Revolutionary War, found his ship overwhelmed by a 44-gun Royal Navy vessel Serapis. Asked if it was time to surrender, Jones defiantly responded with those famed seven words.

Three hours later, Serapis was defeated. Jones took command.

One month and seven games into its season, Tennessee also has found itself overwhelmed. A fledgling offense just scored 74 points combined in back-to-back losses to Georgetown (37-36) and Virginia (46-38). Even with Jeronne Maymon (knee) unable to play a game this season, few predicted a 4-3 start.

The fight has begun, but the Vols are without bullets.

The last time they scored in the 30s in back-to-back games was a 38-31 victory over Mississippi State and a 38-34 loss to Georgia Tech.

That was in February of 1946.

Utilizing eight days off between Thursday and a home date with No. 24 Wichita State (8-0) on Dec. 13, UT will search for some fight.

"No one is going to quit based on the season we had last year," sophomore forward Jarnell Stokes said. "The guys still know the type of game we can play."

At this time last year, UT was 3-4 and on its way to 3-6. From there, the Vols — thanks in part to

the mid-season addition of Stokes — rebounded to finish 19-15.

It's not that simple now. There's no five-star recruit waiting in the wings to magically appear in Knoxville as a belated Christmas present.

This time, Stokes' season parallels the Vols' struggles. He's averaged 17.3 points on 27-for-42 shooting in UT's four wins and 5.3 points on 6-for-16 shooting in three losses.

That's not to say it's only on Stokes. The rest of the Vols combined to shoot 28.0 percent (37-132) from the field and 18.9 percent (11-58) in losses to Virginia, Georgetown and Oklahoma State.

Against Virginia, coach Cuonzo Martin appeared to try to mix things up by any means necessary. After scoring four points in the game's first 7 minutes, he inserted walk-on point guard Brandon Lopez and surrounded him with starter Skylar McBee and reserves D'Montre Edwards, Quinton Chievous and Yemi Makanjuola.

It didn't make a difference. UT opened the game 3-of-18 from the field.

As the missed shots keep piling up, so do questions about the Vols' confidence.

"I don't consume myself with talking about it because I was a player before, so I know that when you start talking about certain things over and over, guys start to see it and believe it," Martin said. "They read it. So for me as a coach, it's just 'If you have open shots, shoot 'em.' "

In games played through Wednesday, Tennessee ranked 213th in the country shooting 42.2 percent from the field and 278th with 35 made 3-pointers.

Today, Martin will serve as the Grand Marshal of the WIVK Santa Claus Parade in downtown Knoxville at 7 p.m.

Safe to say what he'll be asking Ol' Santa for.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

wigmeister writes:

You can fight as hard as you want, but at the end of the day, you have to score more points than your opponent to win! We haven't had that truly potent scorer in years.

John_10065 writes:

We don't have a dependable clutch outside shooter and not enough beef in the paint with Maymon on the bench.

Get Maymon healthy and the outside shooting will improve with less perimeter pressure. The inside will also improve with more beef in the paint.

Right now I have only seen one guard/forward willing to drive the lane at any time and that's Golden. He has a decent floater too when he does it. It's a bit disconcerning not having more guys willing to challenge the lane with the ball on the wood. WIthout that willingness to take the ball on the dribble inside or great passing it will be a long season.

Just get Maymon back and a lot of it will take care of itself.

abnerPeabody writes:

Stokes a 5 star player? LMO.
Martin an SEC coach? Same as above LMAO.Martin has no clue when it comes to beating the zone.Another buyout coming soon.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Stokes a 5 star player? LMO.

Last team played man to man,and your an idiot!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Brentwoodvol:

Last team played man to man,and your an idiot!!

You may not be an idiot yourself,but you are ahead of someone that is. Being an idiot is pretty good considering I was born a moron.Thank you.

1vavolfan writes:

Boy I miss the days of Lofton in one corner and Juajuan Smith in the other. UT has no one who can make an outside shot. The players Martin has recruited are a joke. Moore, Edwards, and Chievous couldn't play for ETSU. Pulling for CCM but just not the same talent or atmosphere of the CBP days.

rockypop writes:

I used to think that the price of admission to receiving a basketball scholarship was, at the very least, to be able to shoot the basketball and score. Isn't that what the game's all about?

But, UT has had a serious problem finding guys who can score from the field AND the free throw line, except in Rocky Top League games.

I've said for years that UT coaches need to get these players out of the Rocky Top League because of the bad habits they're learning there. There is no defense played, and that experience has got to carry over to real games.

Don't even get me started on free throws. Sixty-five percent is unacceptable for any progam. And that's with Quinton Chievous hitting 2 for 2 for 100%, which skews the number. Without that, they're shooting 57%. How do these guys get college scholarships shooting that kind of percentage for FREE throws? The Next Big Thing - Jarnell Stokes, shoots 51%.

Credit Martin for the defense - it's as good as it gets. Maybe as good as Louisville's. But why are guys like Golden, McRae and McBee so undependable on offense? And, why do the bigs miss so many put-backs underneath?

Because of their shooting deficiencies, UT will see a lot of zones this season, and so far, they have treated a zone as an alien lifeform. They don't seem to know what to do with it. And, that is on the coach.

I played college basketball, so I'm not shooting from the hip here. I know the loss of Maymon is significant, but there is no excuse for scoring less in an entire game than almost every team in college basketball scores by halftime.

The good news is that the talent is there, and perhaps by March, the offense will improve. If it does, coupled with Martin's defense, UT can be a player.

redskinvol1 writes:

NEED TO FIND SHOOTERS THAT ACTUALLY THINK THAT THE BALL WILL GO DOWN!!

tan007 writes:

I would love to hear an update on Maymon. Seems there isn't much being said about exactly what his knee problem is or if/when he will return. I want to see him on the floor & hopefully soon.

pratt71 writes:

in response to John_10065:

Just get Maymon back and a lot of it will take care of itself.

For God's sake when is Maymon coming back or is he coming back? I think there is more to the story than we are being told. Stokes sure does not look like a 5 star. More like a 3 star. Just saying!

1vavolfan writes:

in response to pratt71:

I think the UT staff has mismanaged the Maymon injury. They let him play 2 months last year with a busted up knee and he hasn't been the same since. I wouldn't plan on him being back this year, if he is he won't be close to 100% as he hasn't played in a game since March. Redshirt him and have him close to 100% next year.

eb502us#225637 writes:

It's easy for coach Martin to say "just shoot it when open." Problem is that he hasn't recruited anyone capable of making it even if that happens. Sad to say but if his recruiting doesn't improve, CCM isn't going to make it either.

kazoo writes:

This team won't make the NIT. Does Maymon need surgery? Then have it. Good grief. Tony Kornhiser was deriding UT this morning on the radio for our anemic offense.

John_10065 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

I think you might be right. We had several players going through last season injured. Maymon got worked on in the off season but he didn't come back fast enough. Golden went under the knife too and he seems to be back 100%.

Frankly, I have to wonder if Martin's history is part of the reason Maymon is sitting. He had two major knee surgeries before he got out of high school and his knees shortened his NBA career. There's bound to be some empathy there.

I think Martin wants Maymon to be 100% before he goes back on the court. Also red-shirting this year might work in the best interest for the team. The commitments for far for next year don't have any big men and frankly who is ready to step up in the paint behind Maymon? He's not a 7' 300 lb center who can back out any defender but he plays bigger around the rim than his size. With Hubbs coming next year, a guy like Maymon in the paint could make for a very interesting season.

John_10065 writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Martin came in on a very short recruiting season last year under the NCAA eyeball. We can't reasonably complain about his recruiting given that he has only one starter on the team that can only be claimed as a recruit and that is Stokes.

And if there was an open scholarship at Memphis or UK he wouldn't be here now.

Martin is using Pearl recruits, give it a year before we have an idea what his recruits are capable of doing.

John_10065 writes:

in response to rockypop:

Free throw % has to come up. Even worse is how many of the front end of 1 and 1 are missed?

Pearl teams were notorious also about FT shooting so I can't fault Martin on his own about that. However, there's a point that someone has to step up as a coach or assistant and demonstrate good FT shooting technique. Then it has to be up to the players to make time to practice that technique.

Nothing is keeping any player from practicing FT shooting on their own. Isn't that what every BB player want-a-be did with every open minute of their time? I know there are classes but for God's sake during this semester a BB player can take almost nothing as a class load.

We have to be over 75% as a team from the line, 80% is champion form.

And as far as offense, why won't anyone besides Golden put the ball on the wood and drive through a zone? Just do it guys! Penetrate the darn thing and play inside out if you cant't get a good shot.

Stop this pansy BS I've watched this year so far. Challenge the zone with penetration either with the dribble or the pass. You have to defeat it that way if you aren't looking to beat it with transition before it gets set.

So far this season UT has failed to defeat the zone on all levels. However a team looks to defeat it, it has to be with some form of penetration to make the zone collapse or over commit. Only when you can make that zone smaller can you defeat it. That is just simple basketball strategy.

Martin claims to be about motion offense and that is the name of the game out of the Purdue coaching tree. I have yet to see passes over the zone diagonally to the opposite side. Don't these guys understand the concept of penetration to lure the defenders in and passing over the zone to the open perimeter?

It's like our guys are so completely locked into playing one on one they can't wrap their brains around zone defense. Pearl's teams were also but frankly I am suprised to see Martin's team being the same way. Big 10 ball sees enough zone teams that Cuouzo should know how to play against it.

For two games now they have let the zone defenders stand on the 3 pt line without making them pay. Pass the damn ball or put it on the wood and penetrate!

brod writes:

i had hopes of an ncaa bid after attending the oakland game. not time to give up yet. the perimter scoring concerns from last season were not addressed with the signees. armani moore is useless. i think edwards has potential, he's just not there yet. mcrae is having a bad shooting year so far. our 3 losses have been ugly. very ugly. the loss of maymon is hurting the team obviously. but with little perimter scoring his return is not going to lock down an ncaa birth.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

We're fine. It was a shock though to see our complete lack of ball movement the last two games. And as someone stated we could not hit open baskets. some of those "open baskets" should have been more the inside out game than we saw...or didn't see rather.
LOL I never shot as poorly as these guys did for these games. But I also never had the kind of athleticism these guys enjoy.

It'll be interesting to see progression the next few games. I'm a strong believer in Martin's attitude about defense. But You have to be able to change your mindset quickly to offense when it happens. Right now maybe we're resting on offense from the defensive workload.hehe

Seriously. We need to go to the basket. I agree with someone elses' observation of McRae NOT do this in the last game. How many times did he go to the basket?

That said we did see some players do some things they hadn't done before successfully. McBee DID go to the basket!! He actually made a lay-up. Game before he made a sidestep and shot a 15 footer.

It's mostly a mind-set adjustment I think for them. They've(the 4*s) been mostly offense oriented their whole lives and are adjusting to this totally different attitude of DEFENSE.

Again we'll be alright by the time we're into a few games. I know I said that about football but I'm not really a football guru. OK I'm not a bball either but I DO see some potential IMHO. We've seen these same guys score plenty against good teams.

I don't know what to think about Hall and Makenjuola. Makan cannot move without fouling. Hall can't move without fumbling. It seems to be contagious with Stokes. I'm not saying he's getting fouled a lot but I suspect he is. I've been watching the perimeter players passing around the key.

But seriously I'm not worried today. It's almost Christmas and my Kansas nephews coming to town with his beautiful wife and what's more important than that? My other traitor nephew(MTSU) will be here also. I'll spend Christmas with a KU grad and a MTSU grad. The good thing is they're both solid UT fans. Well the KU grad does prefer KU.

OH! Did I mention the team will be fine? I'm ramblin' a little today.

in response to 1vavolfan:

I don't think the Vols would have played him as much last year if they thought he was hurt that much. It is a player's instinct to play; if he says he is good to go, neither the coaches nor the trainers could prove that he isn't, unless there is obvious structural damage. I do agree that we shouldn't count on him being back this year, not at 100%. At this point, his absence isn't an acceptable excuse, since they have played and practiced for months without him. The team may well already know this, but many fans clearly do not. They can do fine with who they have, once they get over their shooting slump.

I have probably bored everybody to death with this, and my saying it will have no impact on what the team does, but if it were MY team, the simplest fix for the offense would be to move Stokes out from under the rim to the free-throw circle area. Despite some of the ill-informed slams against him on here, he IS UT's best player. He NEEDS to handle the ball; if they can't feed him productively on the block, put him where they CAN feed him, e.g., on the free-throw line. He showed in the Oakland game that he drive it from there. One of his first made shots as a Vol was a 15-footer against UK. He has good court vision and is a decent and unselfish passer; it's just a lot harder to see guys to pass to when double-teamed under the basket. The more he handles the ball, the more his touch at the line will improve. It will be much harder to double-team him out there, and he will have more and easier passing lanes if they do. Kenny can lurk underneath for dump-down passes and offensive rebounds and be more effective if the main post defender is out high covering Stokes.

brod writes:

in response to johnlg00:

agreed.

wilk58 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

He is uts best player but he shut it down the another nite. He was pouting. They are pressing big time I think.

in response to wilk58:

How could you blame him for being frustrated, getting buried inside and beaten up, not touching the ball, and nobody making any shots to take the pressure off? Bringing him outside would lift his mood and productivity in a New York minute.

in response to brod:

agreed.

Are you agreeing with me boring everybody to death or with my suggestions for how to use Stokes(;-P)?

brod writes:

in response to johnlg00:

how to use stokes

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Golly! You're all boring me to death talking about basketball instead of firing the coach.

Hey I like it!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I'm completely sold. It seems they can't get him the ball underneath and they won't(for whatever reasons) drive the lanes.

smokeygrowl writes:

Got to play uptempo get more dunks and lay ups . kenny hall is a good transition player or was under pearl. enough athleticism to push the ball and not let teams have time to get back and set up. to much dribbling in the half court. RUN THE BALL DAMMIT. THIS IS NOT HOOSIERS AND MCBEE IS NOT CHITWOOD. IM LOOKING FOR THE TWO HANDED SET SHOT NEXT

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Hey I like it!!

A few more losses with 30 point totals and the topic will change.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

A few more losses with 30 point totals and the topic will change.

Not to me. I believe in a little loyalty. At least till they prove they can't coach. Martin's done fine so far. PLUS his first real recruiting class next year. HUBBS! Don't give up on this season. Martin will work on the offense when the D's in place. AND it seems to be there now. We may see a shift the next game? hope so...a little anyhow.

carbonzip writes:

Play some zone and see if we can set up a few fast breaks. More bounce passes and head fakes. Don't shoot unless two teammates are in position to rebound. When in doubt, shoot.

in response to carbonzip:

I don't see the Vols playing any zone themselves; that's just not how CCM rolls. Besides, the defense isn't their problem; I haven't seen any stats on this but they must be among the nation's leaders in scoring defense and shooting percentage allowed. They might try a little more pressure defense if they want more takeaways leading to runouts. I agree with using more bounce passes and head/ball fakes, but your advice on shooting is a bit contradictory.

rbwtn writes:

Georgetown was just as inexperienced as the Vols frankly we should have beat them. One thing I did notice is Stokes What's happened to him he didn't show the enthusiasm he did last year and that kind of attitude won't get him early in the pros. come on Stokes break out of it you have a mission and that's to help your team win! Be a Leader Not a follower!

AHOUSE writes:

I played four years of college ball and have read all the post on here and let me say what I would do. I was at the UVA game and stokes was boxed in from all sides , hacked on the arms and couldn't move . I would have set him up on the baseline and let him move quickly to receive a pass at the foul line and clear our about three people on the way to the bucket. The next time down you would not see three guy all over him!!!

in response to rbwtn:

See my comment above. Last year, Stokes was a bit of an afterthought on opponents' scouting reports. The main emphasis was on stopping Maymon, so Stokes had relatively more room to operate and the Vols weren't really counting on him as a team leader. This year, Stokes has been the main focus of the defense and he IS expected to be a team leader. This is a bit of a burden for a kid who has yet to turn 19 and who plays a position that requires others to get him the ball. He's not a Chamberlain or even a Dwight Howard who can loom over people and snatch balls out of the air. As long as he is in the low post, the guards have to more or less bring him the ball. It would also help if they could make some shots so Stokes wouldn't have two and three men on him every time he gets the ball.

in response to AHOUSE:

That is a variant of the suggestion I made above. One play that might work is to put him on the block with Kenny out high. Kenny goes down to screen Stokes' man. Stokes breaks out to the foul line, receives the pass, and turns to face the basket. Kenny may have the man he just screened sealed behind him in position to receive a pass from Stokes for an easy dunk. Stokes would be open for the foul line jumper if his man doesn't get up on him; if his man does come out, then he can drive on him as he did a couple of times in the Kennesaw game. If they try to double-team him at the foul line, he has many choices which way to pass it. The main point, as I think we both agree, is to get him in motion more and make it both easier for the Vols to pass to him and harder for the other team to double- and triple-team him.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I don't like to see anyone just stand in one spot all the time.lol

AHOUSE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Your point is well taken----I just would like Stokes to get a litle upset with a chip on his shoulder and see what happens.

in response to AHOUSE:

It's hard to teach "mean"; Stokes seems to have a rather placid personality which doesn't lend itself to breathing fire. He seems to be more of a "happy warrior" who functions better when he is kept involved in the game. Much of what comes across as sullenness or passivity is due to lack of involvement in the offense, IMHO, the way it has stalled lately.