Butch Jones coaching bio

Cincinnati coach Butch Jones cheers on his team after a touchdown in the second half of the team's 27-10 win over South Florida in an NCAA college football game, Friday, Nov. 23, 2012, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Al Behrman)

Photo by Al Behrman, AP2012

Butch Jones

Born: Jan. 17, 1968 in Saugatuck, Michigan

Player: Ferris State, 1987-89

Coaching record: 50-27 (1-2 in bowl games); 2 MAC titles (2007, 2009)

Resume: Butch Jones began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Rutgers in 1990-91. He served stints as offenive coordinator at Wilkes (1992-94) and at Ferris State (1995-97) before moving on to Central Michigan. He served as the Chippewas tight ends coach (1998), running backs coach (1999-2001) and offensive coordinator (2002-04) before taking the wide receiver job at West Virginia (2005-06). Jones returned to Central Michigan as head coach from 2007-09, when he left to become head coach at Cincinnati.

Personal: Wife - Barbara; Sons - Alex, Adam, Andrew

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

willblitz4bacon writes:

THIS SUCKS!!!!!
Butch Jones overall record is 50-27!!!!!!!!
I'm getting sick to my stomach!

orange_glory writes:

everyone in the "know" is saying this is a good hire

dk writes:

Great hire. He was my first choice if Gruden wouldn't take the job. He will make Tennessee proud again.

Vol_In_The_Ville writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

THIS SUCKS!!!!!
Butch Jones overall record is 50-27!!!!!!!!
I'm getting sick to my stomach!

WTF do you want his record to be???? Is that a serious post?????

volsrfiguy writes:

Well at least we hired a coach that has a winning record....still think Hart is a mole!

Ironcity writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

THIS SUCKS!!!!!
Butch Jones overall record is 50-27!!!!!!!!
I'm getting sick to my stomach!

50-27 is dang good when you mention it happened at Cin. West. Mich.. I see it as a good hire. I don't think any coach at this point was going to make the fan base happy but he is a huge step up from Dooley.

It will be interesting to see what offense he brings, what new coaches we get and which coaches he keeps. That will ultimately determine how good he is.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BlueHarley writes:

I'll hope for the best, but this guy has never built a program on his own. He has had the good fortune to follow Brian Kelly on his last two jobs

ellerbee123 writes:

All the negativity from the fans. I would not want to coach here either. FYI Dr. Cheek is the major issue in our athletic dept. It is easier to get in Vanderbilt now as a student athlete than Tennessee. Cheek needs to be fired.

volunteer89 writes:

Anybody else officially lost interest?

I 100% supported the firing of Dooley; but this was Hart's plan? Get turned down by 3 or 4 people then scramble for the only person left. I don't get it.

pcorange writes:

Some of the posts we're seeing here are precisely why we've had trouble getting what we would consider a "wow hire" coach. We fired a man with a 152-52 record, 2 SEC championships, and a National Championship less than one year after he won the SEC east and lost a close SEC championship game to LSU the day Miles announced to his players that he had turned down the Michigan job to stay at LSU. The Steelers couldn't have beaten LSU that day. What "wow hire" is seriously going to leave the gig they currently have to make a lateral move to an SEC rebuilding effort for virtually the same money they are making? News flash: every major program has big time donors and every major program who really wants to keep their coach is going to match or beat a UT offer. This wasn't as easy as we ignorant fans are making it out to be. I want to believe there is a "dumptruck load of cash" to put on a coach's lawn, too, but there ain't.

pcorange writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

Amen. We need to get off Hart's butt. Jimmy Cheek is the issue, and has been for several years. Time for him to go. Butch Jones is a good coach, but he needs Jimmy Cheek out of the way, and now.

SavTnVol writes:

only problem I have with this hire is, on this site, he will be referenced as CBJ, or Coach BJ...GBO!!

Down_The_Field writes:

0-1 against derek dooley.

i know...i know....he's the next brian kelly.

lknvol writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

Agree. The AD will not pull out of the spiral until Cheek goes and the administration is stabilized with serious folks. Not the clowns UT has had in the past few years. Cheek is an absolute joke and an embarrassment to the university!!

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

Butch "freaking" Jones, I like it! everybody that thinks this is a bad hire remember when you said, Butch "freaking" Jones because in 2 years we will be SEC EAST champs and Playing for the title. Guy come from a good coaching tree at cincy. Welcome BUTCH "freaking" JONES
AWESOME hire , this is exactly what we needed. Butch " freaking" Jones will be a VOLS legend one day. SWEEEEEEET!!!!

KingDanno (Inactive) writes:

FACT OF THE MATTER IS HE IS OUR COACH. NOW GET ON BOARD AND QUIT YOUR WHINING! DOOLEY IS GONE. DOOLEY SUCKED. I SUPPORTED DOOLEY AT FIRST UNTIL HE PROVED OTHERWISE. I WILL SUPPORT DAVIS UNTIL HE PROVES THAT HE DOESN'T DESERVE MY SUPPORT. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT. GET OVER IT AND CARRY ON. HE DIDN'T LOOSE TO DOOLEY, HE LOST TO BRAY AND OUR POWERHOUSE OFFENSE-ONE THAT HE NOW CONTROLS. SO DOOLEY'S DECISIONS DIDN'T CAUSE THE VOLS TO LOOSE THE GAME, FOR ONCE. OUR PLAYERS WERE MOTIVATED AGAINST CINCI. THIS MAN HAS STEPPED UP AND OFFERED HIS SERVICES FOR OUR TEAM. I WANTED GRUDEN TOO, BUT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GET IT DONE W/O ALL THE HOPLA AND FRENZY THAT SURROUNDS GRUDEN. LET'S GO BUTCH! WIN A FEW AND YOU'LL SHUT THESE MOUTHS UP. THEY ARE JUST STILL DEEPLY WOUNDED BY THE KIFFEN AND DOOLEY FIASCO. WE NEED BRAY, HUNTER, AND PATTERSON TO STAY AND WE'LL BE A CONTENDER!!!! NOW SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS HAPPY THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO DEAL W/ DOOLEY ANY LONGER. THAT WILL BE ALL.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Allow me to be the first to officially say:

"KEEP BUTCH JONES!"

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Is it Jones or Johnson?

mloaks#222092 writes:

Lucky, and my alma mater does not deserve this class act. hope the fans get realistic.
And the Hart tirades are so old.

born2ride writes:

I hope Butch Jones is a smokescreen and we are really hiring somebody good like Jon Gruden.

BUTCHug_JONES writes:

Seems a little desperate but I guess we will just wait and see.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Can we stop with the insanity? Return to reality?

Butch Jones was always in the Top 10 candidates to be considered. And he was the second to get an offer.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

There are several people posting comments that are confusing this man with Butch Davis, the former Miami and North Carolina coach. Butch Jones is a young, up and coming coach and has coached his teams to stronger finishes as the season goes on! It will be difficult for him to recruit at the beginning. His success will depend on whether he can get some early upsets against the big boys in the conference to help entice recruits to come to Knoxville! The definition of a good coach is to get the players to exceed their own perceived abilities. Based on his record, I would have to conclude that he will get it done on the field! The question is: Can he get it done in the living rooms of SEC talent? Welcome, young man, to BIG ORANGE COUNTRY!...Now, hit the ground running!

Razor784 writes:

Mediocrity here we come

UMREB1992 writes:

What a horrible hire!!! This being the golden age of zombies and the body farm being underneath Neyland Stadium, you'd think that the least the administration would do is to create a zombie Vince Lombardi and a zombie Tom Landry to prowl the sidelines. I mean, they wouldn't be able to recruit 5 star players, but the opposition coach would have to worry about being eaten more than they would on the game and UT would be right back in the national championship picture. Come to think of it, most "so called" fans that I read posts from here are probably zombies anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to support zombie Vince and zombie Tom.

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

I agree on Cheek . . . I read that Cheek is the one that met with Strong in Louisville . . . since when is this pierce an expert on football and football coaches???

Cheek needs to go, NOW!!!

GO VOLS!!!

LAVol11 writes:

in response to Razor784:

Mediocrity here we come

We've been there for a while...

linebam writes:

in response to BlueHarley:

Dooley did not leave the cupboard bare... there is talent on the offensive side and the defense needs to be coached up and get confident again. I believe that Dooley built a solid base, but he was just not a good game-day coach...too many really bad decisions on the field. I think CBJ has something to work with and build on and that he will field a much better team next year and beyond. Bank on it.

ReVolver writes:

I'm not super-excited by this hire in particular: I think we needed a bigger name to help get things moving in the right direction more quickly.

However, the fact is: state of the program right now, doesn't matter who we have as AD, the "Big Names" are just not going to come here.

I am curious why Hart initially went after Strong instead of Jones. Florida recruiting connections probably?

For those of you who think this is a "desperate hire," well, duh...UT Football is in a desperate situation. We fired a Hall of Fame coach, had a disastrous choice as a replacement, followed by a rebuilding job that failed to launch. It's desperate times, folks.

However, nothing about Coach Jones says he's a bad choice to be our coach, other than the factor of time: he hasn't had the time to become the 'Big Name' we need. Maybe this is where it happens.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Is it Jones or Johnson?

dont make me Butch slap you!

feathersax writes:

Not excited about this one, but it might turn out great. Welcome to The Hill, Coach Jones. Better option than Charlie Strong IMO.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to willblitz4bacon:

THIS SUCKS!!!!!
Butch Jones overall record is 50-27!!!!!!!!
I'm getting sick to my stomach!

It's better than 17-20 or 15-21. It's an improvement so let's hold judgment for awhile.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to pcorange:

Well Said!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

dont make me Butch slap you!

That my friend, made me laugh! Definately the post of the day!

born2ride writes:

He lost to Toledo.

Twelvethirtyone writes:

Coming on just to say my Gruden "Media Smokescreen" theory was wrong. I was holding out hope for Gruden, but I will certainly support Coach Butch Jones. For those that like the "I told you so's" I figured I would save you the trouble and admit I was wrong...

Anyway, Go Vols! and Good Luck, Coach Butch Jones! :)

frblalack writes:

Welcome Coach Jones to Big Orange Country!!!

All Vols

volman2008 writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

just hope he keeps JAY GRAHAM.................

RememberWhen writes:

LMAO!!! Once again, you are what are...a mid-level program hires a mid-level coach. Expect mid-level results. Just watch the next few years as those guys TN could have had enjoy their successes and the Vol faithful imagine what could have been.

smoky50 writes:

Let's just hope and pray he gives Sunseri his walking papers. However, I'm sure Hart(less) has a clause in the contract where Sunseri must stay.

Twelvethirtyone writes:

in response to volman2008:

just hope he keeps JAY GRAHAM.................

Absolutely AGREE! Surely he is intelligent enough to know the fanbase might revolt if he does not keep Jay Graham! :)

CCLC writes:

Doesn't appear as if he coached anywhere longer than 3 years. Didn't Purdue pass on him and he held up on Colorado when he heard that Strong passed on the Vols? What does it say when you had to pilfer the preferred coach of the CU Buffs who was also rejected by Purdue? I guess I am pleased with the hire. He brought the Chippewas to Sanford in 2008 and gave up 56 points.

traderjoe writes:

FIRE HART NOW!!! We got a guy that went to Ferris Buehler College...Buehler, Buehler?

The word from Cincy is this guy can't recruit and he was riding on the coattails of Brian Kelly. Butch got one 4 star recruit at Cincy and fans were ready for his departure. I think anyone on this board could be a HC if they were the worlds best recruiter. If you got talent, you hire a good DC and OC and you'll do fine even if you don't know much about football. However, if this guy can't recruit, then it doesn't matter who his DC or OC is, good talent in the SEC will kill him. Recruiting skills and track record should have been a top criteria on Hart's due diligence check sheet. But just as Hart couldn't foresee that Dooley didn't have the right stuff, he also didn't prepare for his job search. Well, he only makes $750,000.00 a year. You can't expect to get much ability for that can you. I'm sure everyone on this board makes at least that much and what do we know.

bljvol writes:

NEGATIVE NEGATIVE How many of you negative posters on here ever went into any job you had in life with this much negativity against you before you started. Most of you need to get a life and you all remind me of the commercial were the doctor comes running out on the field to do the football players job and then it cuts to saying you wouldnt want him doing your job so don't try to do his etc that is the same way most of you all are Everybody who has ever been a Head Coach, an assistant, a coordinator or even played college football in the SEC please raise your hand?????????? no takers???????LOL

zombievol writes:

Is it me or does that photo look like he is yelling "PYLE!!! MOVE IT MOVE IT!!"

VolinCalif writes:

I think Dooley left a very good base for Jones. Both Off and def and yes the staff is pretty good. The problem was too much changing around and the players were lost in the new system.We had a great Off. team and we had a #26 Def team from last year. Those players didn't go south it was the system. Did Sal have a real say in when to start the 3-4? I doubt that he did and he tried to do what all good Asst. do and that was to give the coach what he wanted. But he needed the players with the skills to support the new system, they were good in the 4-3 but never got off the ground in the 3-4. Butch has a good start and I hope he makes the best of it. I hope he keeps the staff in tack.I do think that Petrino had a better Resume for talking to the Mommies of players.

VolunteerLifer writes:

OK, it's done. Let's get behind this guy and give him the best chance we can to succeed. If for some reason other than lack of fan support he doesn't succeed, then we go from there with respect to Hart.

traderjoe writes:

in response to bljvol:

Well darn bljvol, is that what the qualifications to be a critic are? lol I guess you played and you were onboard with Dooley for 3 miserable years, right? The fun of social media is that we can be negative or positive without any real consequences to anyone...just venting. In this case, maybe we're doing the vetting Hart didn't do or maybe we're stressing criteria that he didn't but should have. Only time will tell but as far as how this might affect Butch, anyone stepping into a multi-million dollar job which is fan based has to be ready for the heat in the kitchen, otherwise they're in the wrong profession...just like politics. I hope the guy succeeds, but you have to admit, Hart didn't exactly handle this like a champ did he?

VolnTex writes:

in response to KingDanno:

I wouldn't have read a word except that it was in all caps, which convinces me every time.