Butch Jones, 'intoxicated' by program's tradition, says he can return Tennessee's football glory

Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones talks with the media during a news conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Evan Woodbery on the Butch Jones hire

None

Butch Jones addresses members of the media Friday at his introduction as new University of Tennessee head football coach. "I believe everything happens for a reason," said the former coach at Cincinnati. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess // Buy this photo

Do you believe Butch Jones is the right choice to be UT's coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Alex, Adam, Andrew and Barbara Jones, left to right, look on before father and husband Butch is presented as the new University of Tennessee head football coach during a news conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel // Buy this photo

Butch Jones walked into an eerily quiet Cincinnati team meeting room on Friday morning, unsure of the response he was about to receive.

He was leaving, and he wanted to tell his players directly.

"I walked in the room and obviously it got deathly silent, and they wanted to know what was going on," Jones said. "When I told them that I accepted the head coaching position at the University of Tennessee, they all started clapping and applauding ... I'd be remiss if I didn't thank them for that."

Jones was introduced Friday as Tennessee's new football coach, capping an improbable 24-hour courtship that occurred only after Jones had turned down two other jobs and Tennessee had been turned down by two other candidates.

"I'm very instinctual. I trust my gut," Jones said. "I believe everything happens for a reason."

Jones will be charged with rebuilding a once-prestigious program that has endured three losing seasons under former coach Derek Dooley and hasn't won more than seven games in a season since 2007.

But Jones, who is 50-27 in three seasons each at Cincinnati and Central Michigan, said Tennessee's rich tradition could overcome its recent struggles.

"You're just intoxicated by the success here," Jones said. "I feel a sense of energy here and commitment."

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart, who was spurned publicly by Louisville coach Charlie Strong one day earlier, met with Jones for the first time Thursday at 10 p.m. in Lexington, Ky.

Only 20 minutes into the late-night session, Hart was convinced he had found Tennessee's next football coach.

"I was impressed with his candor," Hart said. "He didn't try to sell anything that wasn't real."

Jones agreed to a six-year deal worth roughly $3 million annually, plus a $500,000 signing bonus to be paid next month.

Jones had already turned down jobs at Purdue and Colorado when he said Hart made his first contact Thursday morning.

After the meeting in Lexington that extended well into Friday morning, Jones met with his team and then flew to Knoxville. He met with his new players, talked to reporters, posed for publicity photos and then planned to start dialing recruits. Sleep would come later.

"I will give my all for Tennessee today," said Jones, quoting the sign that players slap as they leave the locker room for each game.

Jones, who turns 45 next month, introduced his wife and three sons at the beginning of the news conference. His sons took turns stating their names and ages.

"If we lose a game in the Jones household, we don't talk for a week," he joked.

Hart said Jones was on a list of roughly "half a dozen" targets that he identified at the start of the search. Strong and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy appeared to be ahead of Jones in the pecking order, but Hart said he was confident that anyone on his list could be successful.

Jones' enthusiasm seemed to win over many of the doubters who had flooded talk radio and criticized his hiring on social media.

"I don't pay any attention to that," Jones said. "That's clutter."

He cited his four conference championships in six years as a head coach and asked to be judged on his results.

"I believe in what we do," he said. "The plan is infallible if the players buy in."

---

Related:

Butch Jones biography

Butch Jones' Memorandum of Understanding with Tennessee

Butch Jones press conference transcript

Videos

Butch Jones introduced as the new head coach of the UT football team

Dave Hart answers questions about the coaching search and Butch Jones hire

John Adams on the Butch Jones hire

Evan Woodbery on the Butch Jones hire

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Enki_Amenra writes:

Infallible? I hope he truly believes it!

I am simply a UT fan, nothing more, but since UT is his dream job and he seems to have a passion for this University, I will grant him his wish.

I will support him unconditionally and base my opinion solely on his results - on the field and off.

I hope all true Vols will give this man the benefit he has asked from you.

Give him what he wants from the fans, opine over results only and he will give us what we want - a return to Elite Status as a Perennial Power in the SEC!

Go Vols!!!

OrangePsyched writes:

Intoxicating is a good word to use. Watch out coach the big Orange can become habit forming. I'm glad you didn't "just say no."

tmcretired writes:

Good luck coach fans are looking for a turn around it has been rough the last 3 years all the best to you. I am all in lets get going

therightstuff writes:

Coach Jones, welcome to Big Orange Country!!! Proud you chose to be a Tennessee Volunteer!!!
Appears this man is hungry, motivated, full of passion and enthusiasm, just what we need here at the University of Tennessee. Those who wanted Fulmer back....remember he lost that hunger, which is a shame being he was a great coach. Coach Jones has a fire about him that I believe will attract recruits to play for and love the University of Tennessee. I for one believe the old school "rah rah we are Tennessee" attitude is refreshing and can and will bring the Volunteers back to SEC and national prominence.

FEARinSEC writes:

Hey, Evan, I noticed you used the word "SCORNED" when you mentioned Strong?
Didn't Hack Adams use that earlier in the week?
Could you please be original and not try to follow in Hack Adams footsteps, it's truly the worst thing you could do for your career! I know Hack Adams has been around a while, but 90% of the fanbase can't stand his constant negativity toward The University of Tennessee.

RememberWhen writes:

alrighty then...24 hours later still not 100% sold on this (still believe better guys were available at lower cost) but willing to give it a go. One thing is for sure - the world is about to find out if this guy can really coach and lead or if he's just a Brian Kelly coat-tail rider. Hoping it's the former with a word of advice after 40 years of supporting this program - BE QUIET AND JUST GO WIN. Nothing else matters. All the talk, all the hype, all the cliches, all the coachspeak in the world isn't going to matter. There is one goal and one goal only - WIN BIG. Do that - you can stay for life. Don't do that - you won't last 3 years, Good luck!

Dalton writes:

I support all coaches until they show no grasp of the program...a way of doing things, a focus/pride that shows on the sidelines. When Coach Fulmer filled in for Coach Majors you could see the extra pep and energy in Vol players...if you have the benefit of watching practice a great coach has that same imprint on drills and repetitions. We had that with Coach Majors and Fulmer once upon a time. I held out hope way too long that Dooley would show that but the players never bought in...I feel that this new guy will bring that quality and we'll see victory or loss each week in the efforts of the players GOVOLS!!!

utbaby#215635 writes:

I'm on the Butch bandwagon. Sure, it may have been better to get Gruden or Strong, but when the remaining candidates are equal on paper you take the one that wants it the most and has passion for the job. Butch clearly has passion and that is something desperately needed. I'm on board and looking forward to the offseason and next year.

mhwhite63 writes:

Ok...I admit it...I was very disappointed yesterday with the news that Dave Hart had hired Butch Jones. Today, however...after watching the video of Coach Jones discussing his passion for UT at the introduction press conference, I have to confess that I have to love a guy that REALLY wants to be here. That goes a LONG way in my book. Anyone else that we might have BOUGHT to be here might constantly be looking for greener pastures in their minds. (See Lane Kiffin) I believe if you love what you do and where you are, you will succeed. If this man can bring together a staff that can recruit in the SEC, then we may be in for a very nice surprise in a year or two. This man's team at Cincy BEAT the seemingly more attractive Charlie Strong's team from Louisville TWICE out of three times, right? He deserves all the support we can give him and his family. Our pain and anger over the past should not be aimed at him. He wants to be here...gotta love that! Good luck, Coach Jones!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I keep reading where two candidates turned us down. I was under the impression that the ONLY contract offer was presented to Charlie Strong. Where am I going wrong?

CCLC writes:

in response to mhwhite63:

"This man's team at Cincy BEAT the seemingly more attractive Charlie Strong's team from Louisville TWICE out of three times, right?"

This man's team at Cincy lost to the seemingly
more ateactive Derick Dooley's team from
Knoxvegas ONCE out of 1 time, right?

Love your logic.... been watching college football long?

BlueHarley writes:

Sidebar... Tommy Tuberville to cincy:

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

in response to Enki_Amenra:

Infallible? I hope he truly believes it!

I hope all true Vols will give this man the benefit he has asked from you.

Go Vols!!!

Spoken like a TRUE Vol fan! Hart was much more prepared than Mikey.I think Coach Jones has the ability and passion to return us to a competetive program in the SEC.Welcome to he and his family,let's show them some Tennessee hospitality !

Orangeblood13 writes:

Good luck coach
The bitterness from the media to the fan base will be a tuff
Road. Just win some, compete hard and prove everyone
Wrong

GBO

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to mhwhite63:

good post-----liked what i saw in that press conference----i agree with others words alone are cheap ( i really dont think he will assemble the best staff in the country) but i like his genuineness about wanting to be here and turn this around and his passion, confidence and personality--looks like a football coach---not that that matters at all---and looks like he may have some fire in his belly----------i support the hire and look forward to a turnaround under his leadership

To those who are disappointed we didnt get an big name coach, these big name successful coaches did not come out of the womb big name, successful and at prominent football schools, they all worked there way up from the lower ranks, they were not born into big school HC jobs--some of you whiners should look at the resumes of some of these you wanted and how they evolved to what they are now-------I'm happy to have this coach that wants to be here and is hungry

gillblog writes:

Sure there are more glamorous and/or successful coaches around but at least this time we have an adult (vs. the amoral child-Kiffin) who is actually a college football headcoach.

Gives one reason to have hope.

mtthw741 writes:

in response to CCLC:

This man's team at Cincy lost to the seemingly
more ateactive Derick Dooley's team from
Knoxvegas ONCE out of 1 time, right?

Love your logic.... been watching college football long?

You are an idiot. If I race Jeff Gordon and I'm driving a ferrari and he's driving a corolla; I will win. Does that mean I'm a better race car driver than Jeff Gordon? Tennessee should always beat Cincinnati, regardless of who's coaching. Cinci and Louisville are in the same conference, that's a better indicator as far as head to head coaching.

TNFaninFL writes:

Gruden... who knows if he would be successful in college ? Big splash if he would have come but after that it becomes winning games, he won at Tampa Bay with Tony Dungy's players then got fired. Gundy is a psycho.. remember that rant of his a few years ago, he never was going to leave OK St. Strong.. no better than Butch Jones, but the difference is that Strong walks around with a chip every day thinking the " man " is trying to keep him down, he constantly was spouting that when he was with the Gators. I like Butch Jones, he seems very passionate and maybe is what we need right now. I have always felt that there is so much to sell a recruit with Tennessee, the tradition, the checkerboard, Rocky Top, all of that and now we have the best facility in the country ! If Butch and his staff can sell at all, recruiting should be a no brainer. Then just coach them, sounds so easy, I support the hire.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

Hey, Evan, I noticed you used the word "SCORNED" when you mentioned Strong?
Didn't Hack Adams use that earlier in the week?

Then why do they keep reading him??

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to gillblog:

Gives one reason to have hope.

Pull for somebody else. UT doesnt need your negativism!

budvol writes:

The man wanted this to happen and im glad. Im ready to see what he can do! Good luck coach and good luck to the negative creeps on their journey

in response to gobigorange5090:

Pull for somebody else. UT doesnt need your negativism!

Are you sure you replied to the right post? Saying that Jones' hire "gives one reason to have hope" doesn't sound that negative to me.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to CCLC:

This man's team at Cincy lost to the seemingly
more ateactive Derick Dooley's team from
Knoxvegas ONCE out of 1 time, right?

Love your logic.... been watching college football long?

Not picking on you CC but your points have been made several times, thought I would take the opportunity to make some other side of the coin points.
1. Jones first year at Cincy his defense had been decimated by graduation and injuries.
2. Jones second year when his Cincy team came to Knoxvegas, we had Bray, Hunter, Rogers and Poole. A pretty potent offense at that time.
3. A couple of games later, Cincy lost their star QB that was key to their offense.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Remember some of BJ's comments from the press conderence? Now, this is directed at the whiners and eternal gripers. Several questions were directed to him about the unrealistic fan base, the people like Flower's Foible, Walt, the 45 revolver, and Billy the kid.......in particular. BJ answered reminding such gripers that he was from a sports town, surrounded by the pro game and its similar types of fans. He went on to say he was thick skinned and not affected by this type of fan.

So that's the scoop for the complainers. They can believe their repetitive whining on this site will have some influence. It's nice to know ..........no such luck !

govolsdid writes:

I hope his first recruiting call goes to DERRICK GREEN we need this type of back!!!! Tell him what you did for the Pead (hope I spelled his name right) kid now with the Rams I think. Good luck Coach and GO BIG ORANGE!

tenecvol4 writes:

This guy is a winner for us- far better choice than Stong ( not enough HC experience- Gruden - never a reality and he might bolt for another job like Lame- This guy has the look- the demeaner and I think he will win over a lot of reqruits and us fans - he has that look and I beleive he will bring us back- Go Butch and GO VOLS - lets kick butt

south_alabama_vol writes:

Well, he's shown he can "talk that talk" now, if he can just "walk that walk'!!!

tennrich1 writes:

Let me state the obvious....Guys that want UT to fail will scream and holler about UT and this hire and our AD and yada yada yada....So when you see these ridiculous post running the man down before he has coached a game here??? Put them in the stupid box because anyone with that position JUST HATES UT...plain and simple...I for one hope Coach Jones goes 70-0 his first 5 years and win 5 national Championships....So lets get it going coach...we gots work to do!!!!!

govolsdid writes:

in response to south_alabama_vol:

UH I LIKE THE WAY YOU TALK UH, GO BIG ORANGE

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to south_alabama_vol:

Actually, he has already shown he can walk the walk. When he won at Central Michigan and then took the job at Cincinnati, he talked the talk and then walked the walk by winning the Big East titles.

He is a proven winner. And he is only 45. IF we are lucky enough to have him here for a long time despite the ridiculous nature of some of our fans, we will not have to look for another head coach for the next 20 years.

Go Vols!

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to mtthw741:

UT was only a 3 point favorite. So yeah, the fact that he got flat out worked by the worst coach and the worst team in UT history when he was only a 3 point underdog is quite disturbing.

DebKY writes:

Big difference between the Big East and SEC.
Didn't Dooley beat him at Knoxville?
I am going to remind him what he said if he doesn't return this program to its former glory. Frankly, I am a poor looser.
Also, very disappointed in the basketball program! I am looking into the future, and I don't see any post men being recruited by Martin!

south_alabama_vol writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Go Vols!

I was talking about being at
Tennessee and the SEC. I think they got the right guy for the job and hope he's around for years to come. GO VOLS!!!

gillblog writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

Pull for somebody else. UT doesnt need your negativism!

well.
That's a very odd reply.
Odd, at least for someone named 'gobigorange...'.

Nevertheless, I intend to stay here.
And I intend to pull for my alma mater and occasionally post some respectful observations on this site.

My observation at this time is; Vol fans have reason to be encouraged with this coach. Not starry-eyed mind you, but encouraged.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

A lot of very good coaches have came through Central Mich., Cincy too. He's a winner, not a whinner. He has a lot of damage with the HS coaches in Tenn & surrounding areas to repair after that arrogant SOB Dooley Pee'd everybody off.Read about it, he did more harm than Kiffy ever did.
I never thought Doodle was fit for the job (check my post), but like most Vol fans, I would get my hopes up each fall only to be let down. I think Butch may just be a guy that can get it done. I hope I'm Not going to be let down again.
Please try to support this guy until he proves he can't get it done, he's probably the best the Vols can get.
To about half the posters on here, Fat Phil ain't comming back! I hope it ain't gonna to happen.
Last, Happy Holidays to all. I'm gone to VN. A little more mature, not much, but a little.

GBO - Beat Everybody - - - - Good luck Butch Jones!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Please don't call him BJ! I used to date her.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to DebKY:

Big difference between the Big East and SEC.
Didn't Dooley beat him at Knoxville?

The correct spelling is L O S E R not looser. That would mean less tight which would cause your sentence to make no sense which it didn't anyway.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

I am a long time Vol fan. The last 5 years have been a disappointment, but I still wear my orange proudly. I hope CBJ can turn the program around. He has my unconditional support until proven otherwise. Go Vols.

ornglovinyankealum writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Who cares now? We got the guy that can do the job.

volfanatic98 writes:

I AM ALL IN FOR TN!!!

ornglovinyankealum writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

DebKY--Cheer up. Get a positive attitude. Support the new coach.
Ultima-- Have another drink. Looser is correct. And less tight...what does that mean?

OwensboroVol writes:

Has anyone heard what Bray, Hunter, and Patterson are going to do? If those guys stay We could have a real good year next fall. I seen one guy on ESPN saying that he felt like Tennessee would have a 10-2 year next fall. His reasoning was that the Offense was already there if those guys stay and that there is a lot of talent on the Defense and it just needs to be coached. Coach Jones, and his staff, are known for adapting their Offense and Defense to the talent they have rather than trying to make their talent adapt to the systems they want to run. How refreshing is that? If Dooley had just run the defensive system they had been running for their talent this could have been a lot different year. I am really excited about our new coach and am really looking forward to next year.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Its been confirmed Gundy at Ok. state was contacted, he denies anything went forward, but apparently UT made a big push. The only confirmed contract offer was Strong. The other coaches received contract extensions, they all play that game every year. Rumor has it Miles planted the Arkansas rumor himself, turned out good, he got a raise from it.

eVOLved writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

Hey, Evan, I noticed you used the word "SCORNED" when you mentioned Strong?
Didn't Hack Adams use that earlier in the week?

Agreed. This site will be better when they no longer include the hack's contributions. I like the other writers, and I greatly dislike and have no respect for adams' trolling.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Patterson I fear has already failed out of school and TB is too much of a self-serving brat to learn a new offense. IMO that only leaves Hunter who would be crazy not to go pro after suffering such a bad injury last season. But nonetheless UT has plenty of talent on offense. I can't see how they could be 10&2, but bowl eligibility is certainly possible..GBO!!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

True story. Bray may be the only option to return. TV Talking heads say Hunter should go pro because of the injury and he is aware of it.

That's the thing, Jones went 4-8 1st year at Cincy. But he beat Louisville among others I believe, so he scored some conference upsets. If he needs a year to rebound from the offense leaving, I hope he can score an upset or 2 along the way. Because year 2 and 3 he went 10-2, and 9-3.

coach799 writes:

in response to mtthw741:

Thanks, Matt! C put in his place - I love it! I have seen multiple people use the UT-Cincy reference and it is ridiculous!

GO VOLS!!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Be careful toddy, you're going against what your man crush Foible thinks

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

Jones may be "intoxicated," but the Vol Nation will have the hangover, after he is sent packing.

Neither he nor his staff have the credentials to coach in the SEC, much less at the level that UT was before Hamilton, Peterson, Cheek and Hart destroyed the athletics department.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to mtthw741:

No fair using logic. It drives illogical haters crazy.