Improbable 'dream job' for Butch Jones

New University of Tennessee football coach Butch Jones, left, poses with his wife, Barb, and sons, Alex, 16, Adam, 12, and Andrew, 5, during an NCAA college football new conference on Friday, Dec. 7, 2012, in Knoxville, Tenn. The Vols' introduced Jones on Friday as its successor to Derek Dooley, who was fired Nov. 18 after going 15-21 in three seasons. (AP Photo/Knoxville News Sentinel, Amy Smotherman Burgess)

Butch Jones stood at the podium at Neyland Stadium’s Peyton Manning Locker Room telling a story about how Manning, a Tennessee legend and one of football’s most celebrated players, had only days earlier tried to convince him to take the job — at Colorado.

The absurdity and unlikelihood of the exchange drew laughs. But for Jones, it has been that kind of week.

Evan Woodbery on the Butch Jones hire

None

Do you believe Butch Jones is the right choice to be UT's coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Call it fate, serendipity or some sort of divine intervention from the gods of college football, but the whirlwind turn of events that landed Jones in Tennessee on Friday would be difficult to duplicate.

"I am very fortunate and very proud to be your head football coach," Jones said during his first UT news conference Friday afternoon.

The introduction capped a nearly three-week search that began with the firing of Derek Dooley. While far-fetched visions of Jon Gruden — who showed no interest in the job, according to UT athletic director Dave Hart — may have consumed some fans, Hart was paring down his list through a series of interviews, offers and rejections in the last week.

Hart turned to Jones Thursday night, and the Cincinnati coach accepted the job in the early hours of Friday, ending a week for him that was just as busy as Hart’s. Jones toured and then turned down Purdue last Sunday, and then jetted to Colorado a day later where he was wooed by celebrities — Manning told him it was a beautiful place to live — and offered a huge contract.

"This room would be shocked at the things they threw at him," Cincinnati AD Whit Babcock told reporters Friday.

Babcock said Jones was set to reject Colorado’s offer and remain with the Bearcats when the phone rang and Hart was on the line, offering the chance at Jones’ purported "dream job."

Twenty-four hours later Jones was bidding farewell to his team and flying to Knoxville. Jones agreed to a six-year deal worth $3 million annually. Tennessee will pay $1.4 million to Cincinnati to buy out the remainder of his contract.

"The tradition that we have here is second to none," Jones said. "The pride that we have here is second to none. All we have to do is get a student-athlete on campus. If we get a student-athlete on campus, they should be sold."

Tennessee’s recruiting has lagged as the Vols’ glory days fade further into the distance. But Jones promised a renewed emphasis on luring in-state players. At Cincinnati, Jones dipped into Memphis and Nashville to find prospects.

"We will own our own state," he said.

Butch Jones introduced as the new head coach of the UT football team

Jones said a handful of assistant coaches would come with him from Cincinnati to Tennessee, but that he would otherwise "leave no stone unturned" in his search for the "best staff in the country." Ties to the Southeast would not be an overriding factor.

"If you can recruit, you can recruit," he said. "It doesn’t matter what area of the country. Recruiting is selling. It’s a people business."

What will a Butch Jones team look like?

Jones came up the ranks as an offensive assistant, and he runs a fast-paced offense that most identify as a "spread" attack.

"I don’t like to use that term," he said, "because I think the word ‘finesse’ is associated with it."

The offense will be physical, not gimmicky, he said.

"We’re going to be a team that takes care of the football," Jones said. "We’re going to run a no-huddle offense. We’re going to be a physical style of offense and be a pro-style offense."

On defense, Jones said, the Vols will "swarm to the football and cause turnovers," something similar to what Dooley and defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri said in 2012. The difference? Tennessee is likely to return to a 4-3 look after a failed experimentation with the 3-4.

"We’ll be a team that doesn’t beat itself," he said.

Jones talked briefly to his new players after landing in Knoxville. He said he was familiar with about half the roster, either from recruiting or from scouting the Vols when they played Cincinnati in 2011. He knew enough to talk some specifics with Hart during their interview.

"He thinks we have enough talent to win in this league and he thinks Derek (Dooley) did a very good job of building this talent and building this roster," Hart said.

Schemes aside, Jones freely acknowledges being a "CEO coach" who will hire coaches and let them do their jobs without micromanagement. He has big binders full of plans and motivational lists and slogans and wants players to embrace his zeal for self-improvement.

"We’ll do some different things," he said. "It’s building a foundation to where everybody speaks the same language, from the training room, to the eating table to our strength and conditioning to our academic settings. It’s one program and we’ll be bought in to one goal. That breeds success."

---

Related:

Butch Jones biography

Butch Jones' Memorandum of Understanding with Tennessee

Butch Jones press conference transcript

Videos

Butch Jones introduced as the new head coach of the UT football team

Dave Hart answers questions about the coaching search and Butch Jones hire

John Adams on the Butch Jones hire

Evan Woodbery on the Butch Jones hire

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

OrangePsyched writes:

I think that we are fortunate to have gotten BJ. He has a passion for football and the players will love him. Recruit em coach.

Dalton writes:

I remember his name being floated around last year and I said no way...it's a good thing fans don't make football decisions...just watch some of his YouTube highlights and you see how his team buys into his coaching...that's the kind of general that gets the most out of his players and the type recruits eventually flock towards. After the first loss negavols will jam their fingers calling for everybody's head and suspension of football operations for ten years so the pain can stop..jam away fordsfup we got our coach and Hart got it right...maybe accidentally but remember Saban was a second choice to Rich Rodriguez

Orangeblood64 writes:

Just like the rest of the vol nation we all are a little jaded after the last 4 years but something tells me this is good. I like what he says and doesn't say (think about it) and another thing "If we are on the TITANIC lets enjoy the ride" GO VOLS

Rock85 writes:

To be honest I like Butch Jones, Blue coller hard working coach.And I welcome him to Tennessee and his family. However, I do have a problem with this hire and the Tn powers tobe.Going into this search,We were told by Hart TN is at a crossroads.Meaning to me we had to make a HOMERUN HIRE. To Unite the fan base and infuse ENERGY on Rocky Top. I Like Coach Jones But do not think he is a homerun hire.I HOPE he does well but OUR program can't survive on hope. Cheeks and Hart should be held ACCOUNTABLE. But Coach Jones and his family should not pay the price for the COWARD FEW, that control the University Athletics. And deflect any blame.So what we do know TN fans? For me I cant just turn off my love for Tennessee. But I will not send my lil donation,nor attend any sporting event.Also will be careful where I buy my GAS. Until Cheek and Hart are nolonger at TENNESSEE.

tmcretired writes:

UT showed you the money now its time to show you can do the job. I think all VOL fan should get behind the coach and the team. GO VOLS

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I've supported every coach at UT for 50 years so I'll support CBJ as well and will give him time to recruit and coach and prove what he can do in the next few years.

I will NEVER support Cheek and Hart as I believe they are the people behind the scenes that have undermined Dooley and are destroying Tennessee football.

FIRE Hart and Cheek TODAY!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

utfan36 writes:

well look for some long years at UT he said (spread) UT done went down that road with Dave Clawson and him and CPF were fired! UT has build a I formation off. and a dang good one to! one of the best in the nation! off wasnt the prob. it was the d just going to take time for cbj to install his syestem

st8of10ec writes:

I'm down with Coach Jones,I like his style,confidence,& passion for Volunteer football.To me the most important thing he said was"Today I will give my all for Tennessee!"

oldvoltimer62 writes:

I appreciate the fact that coach Jones wanted to be at Tennessee,and that he stated in his introduction press conference that the Vols needed teachers instead of presenters to the players.A player needs to be shown the correct way to carry out a assignment not just told.I also commend Coach Jones for pointing out that the Vols will present themselves honorably on and off the field holding up the intergrity of the program.Coach Jones made a comment that Tennesse would come first,meaning student atheletes in Tennessee will be recruited by Tennessee this is a good thing folks.I think Tennesse made a great hire.Welcome to the Hill Coach Jones GO VOLS!

YORVOL writes:

Vol fans it's time to unite. 2 years from now when this guy has us contending for the east where will you be, behind him I hope. He knows that he has to assemble a good defensive staff, he eluded to that in his press conference. It will be see you Sal and so it should be. This guy has been a winner everywhere he has been, no reason to be he won't be a winner in Knoxville. Sure he's not glamorous but neither was our basketball coach but he has us on the right track. I have a gut feeling we have made a good hire.

rbwtn writes:

During the press conf. Butch sounded humbled to have the Tennessee Job. That attitude is part of what it takes to be a good Coach Personally I like the man and feel he's going to give it all he's got and I want to hold it to him to have the "best coaching staff" in the Country ha I'm sure he's going to try! Go Butch put us back where we belong. I just hope it doesn't take to long this time. Hopefully the sleeping Giant (TN) has awakened.

gerwmor writes:

When UT hired CDD, I HOPED things would turn around under an unproven SEC quality coach. Today, with Coach Jones, I BELIEVE we are at the beginning of that turn around. There is a big difference between hoping and believing. My one big hope now is that we get to keep Jay Graham and can bring Tee Martin home. This team needs some vintage Big Orange on the coaching staff! And there is no reason to hire an OL coach; we have one! I think with the new leadership the team would benefit from having Bray and Hunter return, but if they don't, they don't. Same for Patterson, but feel sure he is gone. Too bad, the guy has the potential to be a Hiesman candidate.

antonio14313 writes:

I'm extremely excited about our future! Go Vols!!!

t

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

I like the hire, and hope Vol Nation will have a little patience. 10-2 is not going to happen next year. We'll be lucky to go 6-6 or 7-5 with our road games. All I want next year is to see our team run by a coach, not the other way around.

skipmyloo20 writes:

I'll be honest this coaching hire makes me a little nervous. I'm afraid we might have hired Derick Dooley 2.0... A guy that had little success at the program he was previously at. I obviously hope I am wrong and wish the program all the best. GO VOLS!!

gerwmor writes:

in response to skipmyloo20:

Your post suggests that Coach Jones had little success at his previous position. True for Dooley, but not Jones. I see Coach Jones from a different persepctive. His roots are not in big time Southern football, but they are deep in the tradition of Ferris State in Michigan, and those are excellent roots. Any comparison with CDD is absurd. As I said before I had hoped Dooley would succeed, but this hire is nothing like the one Hamilton made when he brought on CDD.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Dalton:

Dennis Franchione (butchered the spelling) ran away from the Bama job as well. When Saban steps down they will struggle to fill the HC position. It's called following a HOF coach. Remember when Bear left, Bama went through several coaches. UGA the same way after Vince Dooley retired. It's apparently UT's turn to feel that transition. The road back starts with Butch Jones, I feel much better about this hire than Kiffin or Dooley..GBO!

tanasi2 writes:

A good hire considering the fact that top BCS program coaches turned Tennessee down! I'm sure they noticed how Tennessee treated Phil Fulmer and decided to stay where they are!!! Fans need to understand that the Tennessee job is NOT the jewel coaching job that they think it is! Don't blame Hart for NOT landing a big-time coach from a big-time program! Those guys did NOT want to come here!! Jones has potential to be successful at Tennessee, much more so than Dooley! Dooley was a lawyer who wanted to coach, while Jones has always been a coach (with a winning record.) Here is my message to Jones: Win baby win!!! GBO!

VolGrad writes:

Some people aren't going to be "fans" regardless. We can't worry about that. Their whining is terminal. We could go 9-4 next year with a bowl win, and they would still be whining.

I can hear them now: "If we'd signed a real football coach, we would have gone un-freaking-defeated this year. We should have never lost that bamafloregon game. This guy didn't beat a top 5 team on the road all year! You guys are satisfied with mediocre. Makes me sick! We once demanded at least 10 wins. 9 wins is just... just... CR@P on a stick. Wake up, sheep!"

CBJ has 100% of my support until he proves himself unworthy of it. The time to demand 10 wins will return..., shortly, I trust.

And in the meantime, I will proudly wear the orange and white. I will scream and yell in support of our team(s) at every opportunity.

Go Vols! This is Big Orange Country!!!

TheStupidPolice writes:

"His roots are not in big time Southern football, but they are deep in the tradition of Ferris State in Michigan, and those are excellent roots."

gerwmor, you are under arrest for posting the most ridiculous sentence to ever be posted on one of these ridiculous boards. You have the right to remain silent...

JDX47 writes:

I am going to post this everywhere in support of our new coach. If you look at the 2 biggest names in SEC coaching, it is Saban and Miles.

Nick Saban: Came to SEC to LSU from a mediocre Mich. St. Where he was 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2. Hired to LSU and went 8-4, 10-3, 8-5, 13-1, 9-3.

Les Miles: Came to SEC from a very mediocre Ok St. His record there? 4-7, 8-5, 9-4, 7-5.

I am going on the record to say that Butch Jones entering the SEC has every bit as good a background or even better as either of Saban or Miles when they entered this conference.
I think people get caught up in the moment and don't really look at the real stats. Let's see what he can do.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to JDX47:

Saban's record at Michigan State is deceiving because they were under NCAA sanctions. Oh, and the program hadn't been to a bowl in 5 years before he got there. He took a team that was a loser and had scholarship reductions and built them into a winner in a premier conference.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to 2Dlems:

What's unbelievable about that?
Cincy needed a coach and TT wanted out of TT.

VolGrad writes:

in response to JDX47:

And here are the links (for the reader's edification):
Saban http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/c...
Miles http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/c...

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to 2Dlems:

Larry Coker.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

Larry Coker.

Fulmer..

GatorHater1998 writes:

Are we going back to a 4-3?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

Are we going back to a 4-3?

Yes we are..

JDX47 writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

I am not in any way saying Saban isn't a coaching great. I am merely saying that based on the record (regardless of the circumstances) when LSU hired him he was no more "proven" that Coach Jones is...he had done nothing in the SEC at that time nor did his record indicate he would have the great success he has achieved. I'm not a Les Miles lover either, but his record is 85 - 20 since he took over in 2005, so yes, the program was in good shape and he has kept it that way. BUT his OK St. record wasn't an indicator that he would be able to accomplish so much in the SEC. He had proven nothing in the SEC when he came in.

Coach Jones hasn't coached in the SEC, but his record indicates that he can coach. Let's see if we have the next great, successful SEC coach.

GatorHater1998 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yes we are..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GatorHater1998:

Amen, now let's see who he chooses for his DC..GBO!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Fulmer..

Don't forget Bill Battle.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to utfan36:

Do you know anything about what you're saying? I don't think so. UT's offense was a spread offense with Bray in the shotgun the vast majority of the time. Sometimes they line up in the I, but not often.

You're probably thinking that "spread" means what Meyer ran at Florida, which is actually a spread-option, zone-read offense. It's a version of the single-wing of old.

A spread offense is simply one that lines up basically from sideline to sideline to spread the defense out and create holes. If you take a look at what CBJ ran at Cincy, you'll see that's it. Like any offense, if you have a QB who can run, it's more of a problem for the defense. He had that at Cincy, but take a look at the numbers. The two QBs who played there this year ran the ball a total of only about 100 times all season. Tebow ran it well over 300 times in the 2009 season at Florida.

I suspect what we'll see on offense next season will look an awful lot like it did this year, except if it isn't Bray in there, we'll likely see some designed QB runs. That's something we're pretty used to too. Think about Shuler, Martin, Kelly, Schaeffer, etc. Manning didn't run it much, and neither did Bray, but almost every QB Fulmer had did.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Don't forget Bill Battle.

Robinson and Barnhill

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Don't forget Bill Battle.

Yeah, here's a few more..Jimmy Johnson, Chip Kelly, Dan Devine, Barry Switzer @ Dallas, Galen Hall, Jerry Robinson, Jackie Sherrill & Urban Meyer..

Pickwick-Vol writes:

Ok, lets just remember that when Dooley took this job he didn't even have a complete roster to field his first year. Don't go blasting me for my opinion just yet but I want to say that we were in every single ball game this year but 1. With a little defense we had a good year. All you Dooley haters out there back the f#*k off, he is gone so you got your wish. The football program is in much better shape than it was when he arrived. With that being said, anyone with half a brain knows exactly why Dooley is gone. Now it is time for everyone to leave the negativity behind and start being fans and leave the coaching and administrative duties to those in charge. Being a Tennessee fan isn't free, it comes with responsibility, and it is our responsibility as fans to bury the hatchet and get behind the new football coach. It is a new day Tennessee fans, lets start this one off by showing something that we as fans are responsible for and that is some class! Go Vols!

south_alabama_vol writes:

in response to Pickwick-Vol:

Ayres_Hall writes:

4 conference titles in 6 years. Two programs. Two divisions. Several in the NFL.

I know this must be difficult for the haters to understand.

Biggie writes:

in response to tanasi2:

You need to lay off the smoke. You're not making any sense at all.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

There's a difference. Hamilton, for all his faults, had very little time to find a replacement for Kiffin. That makes it a tougher sell automatically. With that, the way Fulmer was mis-handled, and all the attrition from two coaching changes in two years made it a toxic waste dump at the time. Not so now.

thevoice writes:

in response to Rock85:

I respect your position but don't agree with it. After the dust has settled from Friday and based on what BJ has done on the field and said about UT, I believe the guy is the best fit possible for this program. He WANTS to be here; that's powerful! Charlie Strong didn't want to be here (the reason doesn't matter). Mike Gundy didn't want to be here. And so on. Not every "Home Run" coach wants to be here, and for a host of different reasons, none of which may necessarily be bad. Some coaches may shun the SEC because of the challenge and the potential career graveyard if not successful (ala Dooley). Some may not want to move the family. Some may not like the E TN accent. Some may not prefer the academic setup at UT. And on and on and on. Money is not the only thing, despite what the "dump truck" theorists say. Charlie Strong exemplified this.

Just curious: who would you have hired?

thevoice writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Enter Peterman. Exit Bray.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Excellent story by Greg Johnson...

GO VOLS!!

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

You bought that dream job phooey? Sure he wants to be here. The Big East is completely falling apart with realignment and his old university will be the ones left without a dance partner. He was on the verge of going to the biggest mess in all of CFB in Colorado and telling them that they were his dream job.

TheStupidPolice writes:

LOL I did NOT type "phooey." Well played KNS.

atnvol#283282 writes:

I am Grateful...I am grateful for Butch Jones because he WANTS to be here. I believe it was destiny that Gundy and Strong turned the job down....I believe it was destiny that kept Butch Jones from accepting the Colorado job after all they offered him...I am grateful that Butch Jones has the kind of background that this program needs and that background will make him successful in the SEC.I truly feel that we have finally found the road to recovery....its been a miserable 5 years. I intend to send C.Strong a Christmas card and truly thank him for being afraid of being a head coach in the SEC...it would have been a terrible blow and hire for Tennessee if he would have been hired. He is where he needs to be and Butch Jones is where he needs to be. I believe Butch Jones will finish with a much better recruiting class in February than we would have had without him. I believe that the recruiting class will be the first evidence of the good things Tennessee will have instore with Butch Jones as coach. I am thankful that he has a young family so that he can become fully involved with Knoxville and community. Yes, I am grateful that things are looking much better and once again we have real hope with a eye towards the future and REAL Tennessee football. Merry Christmas brothers of the Orange.

Regards, Mike

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Regards, Mike

Do you believe Obama will give in and cut government spending and work toward big time entitlement reform?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Regards, Mike

Great post and a Merry Christmas to you, Sir.

thevoice writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Regards, Mike

Good job, Mike. Wish everyone thought this way. Happy holiday season.