John Adams: Reality reigns in UT hire

John Adams
New Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones addresses the media after being introduced by Athletic Director Dave Hart.

Photo by Adam Brimer

John Adams on the Butch Jones hire

None

Do you believe Butch Jones is the right choice to be UT's coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee's search for a football coach reached a realistic conclusion Friday.

Jon Gruden wasn't realistic. Neither was Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops. Nor Florida State's Jimbo Fisher.

Cincinnati's Butch Jones was realistic. In fact, he was too realistic for many Tennessee fans, some of whom clutched the Gruden rumor with a deathlike grip and refused to let go.

"I reached out to Jon early in the process," UT athletic director Dave Hart said at Friday's press conference. "I heard back from his agent that Jon was not interested in coaching college football."

My guess is there's still someone out there who doesn't believe Jones was actually hired as UT's football coach any more than he believes a U.S. citizen has walked on the moon. The whole thing was staged. And UT is waiting for just the right moment to announce Mr. Monday Night Football as its next coach.

More lucid followers of the program have accepted the reality that no one will compare the hiring of Jones to Alabama's landing Nick Saban. In some cases, such acceptance has been grim.

One caller to "The Sports Page" Friday wished Hart a permanent place in hell for hiring Jones. If he deems eternal damnation fitting punishment for a questionable hire, wonder what he has in mind for outgoing defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri?

The caller's blame was misplaced, though.

Hart couldn't wave a wand and make the last five seasons go away. The Vols have had four losing seasons in the last five years. They lost to Vanderbilt last month and to Kentucky last year. They haven't made Alabama work up a sweat in three years.

UT might be a top-20 program based on its tradition, facilities and fan base. But it's not a top-20 program today.

Other coaches realize that better than anyone.

Mike Gundy thought he was better off at Oklahoma State than he would have been at UT. Charlie Strong felt the same way about his job at Louisville.

Why wouldn't they? Both have the large majority of their starters returning from winning teams. Both have BCS-bowl aspirations for next season.

UT would just like an invitation from any bowl. And if you look two years ahead, it's more likely that Jones will be on the hot seat than his team will be in contention for a BCS bowl.

That's the reality of Tennessee's situation.

It's not as though Hart fired Derek Dooley and immediately set his sights on Jones. He aimed higher and missed — more than once.

Finally, he found a coach with a winning record for whom UT signified career advancement.

Half of Cincinnati's starters are seniors. Moreover, the makeup of the Big East Conference changes by the minute. Who's to say it won't be a three-team football league or switch to lacrosse by next fall?

So the move Gundy wouldn't make and that Strong seemingly labored over before declining was easy for Jones, who had a lottery winner's glow at the media conference. If the Vols had played a game Friday night, he would have floated through the "T."

After this native Michigander called Tennessee his "dream job," made a Peyton Manning reference and pledged "to do some special things," fans probably had warmed up to a coach exuding so much passion and confidence. They also probably agreed he at least looks like a football coach.

But it's not how he looks or what he says that matters. It's what his team does that counts.

What should UT fans expect from its next team?

A bowl bid and a winning season would be nice. Although that wouldn't put the Vols on the brink of going toe-to-toe with Alabama, it would convince fans the program was no longer tumbling backward down Rocky Top.

But you can't break the fall at a media conference. You have to do it on the field.

---

Related:

Butch Jones biography

Butch Jones' Memorandum of Understanding with Tennessee

Butch Jones press conference transcript

Videos

Butch Jones introduced as the new head coach of the UT football team

Dave Hart answers questions about the coaching search and Butch Jones hire

John Adams on the Butch Jones hire

Evan Woodbery on the Butch Jones hire

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/johnadamskns

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

iowavol writes:

iowavol writes:

You know, the fan base got Fulmer fired. If we pull together, maybe we could get rid of this parasite for once and for all. I can't think of a more despicable human being.

hueypilot writes:

I just don't understand hating on John Adams. Certainly more truth than fiction here and if you can't understand it I don't know what to think about you.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to iowavol:

Adams told the truth. Deal with it, troll!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Adams must have missed Strong's statements about why he stayed at Louisville. It had nothing to do with Tennessee. He could have been offered any job and he was staying. Adams just wants people to think that Tennessee wasn't attractive enough for him which just isn't true.

76Hoosiers writes:

Great article. After being a Vol fan for 40 years, I have to agree that it is a sad day to see the "reality" of having to settle on the 5th choice.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

The word from Adams is already out. The hot seat in 2 years..........that's probably what he would like to see.

Hopefully BJ will outlast Adams with their respective occupations.

rusty_shackleford writes:

After watching the presser, I can confidently say that little John asks the dumbest, most insulting questions in the world. No wonder he has no access within the department. What an embarrassment to the kns. Just another reason that newspapers are losing relevance by the minute.

volforeverandever writes:

I'm amazed this guy acually gets paid to write this garbage.

movol77 writes:

New UT coach. Same disrespectful Adams. Bully.

FanNotSheep writes:

Blame John all you like, but the press feeds off the fan base more than the other way around. I can't count how many times I've heard, "We deserve better than this." Really? Why?

Do other fans of other programs not donate money for their seats? Do they not spend outrageous prices for bottled water just like we do?

Not every team can win. Every game has one winner and one loser. For 17 years, Fulmer won 75 percent of the time, and other than a magical run when that percentage was 90, most UT fans were not satisfied. They said, "We deserve better."

Well, regardless of what you deserve, this is what you got. Whether you hired the wrong coaches or the wrong people to hire the coaches is up for debate. But I've listened to and watched UT games for 45 years and I've seen good times and bad. At no time did I think I was so special that "I deserved better." I pull for the players in orange no matter what. Because they are the ones who bleed, sweat and put their bodies (and lives really) at risk each time they take the field. They deserve better than the sorry fan base that feels a sense of entitlement for turning on the damn TV.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

Well UL if you go back to some of John's art's you will find he called the shot on Strong before it happened. No John stated that Strong was not the kind to run out on his players or those that had given him his start.Very good Art. John, Thanks

volinlm writes:

I think Strong told the truth. Also, voting Louisville into the ACC made staying much easier. He's got things going his way. If he could win the ACC (which would be easier than the SEC), his job offers will be more rewarding. Practical decision. Adams is right about the fans and Gruden. It was embarrassing. In the end, Adams was just saying "talk is cheap". Butch obviously thinks he can get it done here. I support him and wish him luck. All the rest is bs.

born2ride writes:

Another great article by JA.

Many fans thought we would get a big name coach who would immediately restore the Vols to their glory days.

Instead we got a coach most had never heard of and who lost to Dooley.

Ultimately BJ's fate will be determined on the field.

Win and you are a hero.

Lose and you get fired.

CoverOrange writes:

Adams is asking the fans to accept the reality that UT is a second tier program and now has a second tier coach. I don't.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Just because you have a down streak doesn't make you second-tier forever. But 0-8 isn't exactly top tier is it?

I always followed the Braves, even when the record and the uniforms were downright embarrassing. I used to joke that I pulled for the strongest team in the league because all the others rested on our shoulders.

Alabama is on top right now, but a few years back their fans were just about as miserable as Vol fans are now. And Auburn is right where we are just two years after having a National Championship and Heisman Trophy.

Whether you ate the ice cream or the chili, eventually it will pass. Sometimes more pleasantly than others.

racvol#234960 writes:

in response to titletownz:

Cheer up we are all still united in going after you Gator trolls

SCVOL90 writes:

It's not like we had a lot of other coaches knocking down the door to come here. Who lets middle school kids post on here anyway?

VolFan_InFlorida writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

The last 2 paragraphs of the post above make more sense than anything else I've read or heard about the tennessee coaching situation. Well put

spudro55#394391 writes:

I don't get JA being such a UT hater. Why not just go write somewhere else? You won't be missed. As for Jones. I didn't know much about him, so I did go watch some video. The guy is classy, and more than that, he does have passion. Get over Gruden. If he had come to UT, he probably wouldn't stay long. I think Jones will be around awhile, and I think the players will love the guy. Brighter days are ahead. John Adams should just go sit down. He is an embarassment and shouldn't be allowed on campus.

TKO writes:

Hopefully there will be plenty of crow to go around in a few years and Coach Jones will get to serve it. Best of success for Coach Jones and his family!

Volunatic writes:

Adams' columns usually irritate me, but this one is a dose of reality for the morons that think Gruden would have come here if Hart had tried harder.
Gruden makes $5M/yr for putting in part time hours over the course of a 17-week season. He's not going to leave that gravy train to coach CFB. He turned down ND a few years ago. He turned down Arkansas this year. Both Arkansas and ND have been relevant a LOT more than Tennessee has recently.
Butch Jones is a good coach. I'm glad he's here.
GO VOLS!!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to titletownz:

GFY

utvols1 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

who died and made you king of everything UT? This administration spent hundreds of millions of dollars on faclities and coaches and have become a non factor since 2001. Your boy phill got carried by Cutcliff and Chavis for most of his career. Saban Les weren't around back then and the Dawgs were going through what we are going through now back then. It was far easier on Phill than it is now. And Phill still got stoned by Spurier almost every year. So stuff your entitlement garbage up your butt. We DO deserve better.

wycoller writes:

"But it's not a top-20 program today."

JA has a blazing talent for stating the obvious---especially when it's something negative about UT.

VolNavy writes:

The truth is that no one knows how this will work out. You can approach life and all things associated with it in a couple of ways. You can be positive while still being realistic, or you can be negative and just assume because you are miserable and contribute nothing positive to life (or the situation) that nothing will ever be good enough. Which category does this writer fit into??

I am tired of parasitic writers that live off of other people's success or failures and pretend that they know what no one else knows.

Let's get behind Coach Jones (he is the coach now whether you like it or not) and let's support him and the kids that give their all for Tennessee each and every day. Just give him a chance--be passionate--be demanding--but be fair..

If you can't do this simple thing, then don't buy your ticket (spend it on PBR) and don't run your mouth because no one cares...

miatatom writes:

Almost immediately, Adams has Jones on the hot seat two years from now. Adams the psychic. Hire Petrino? What an idiot!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Again, nothing informative, insightful, merely an article that I (or anyone else could've written); Captain Obvious rears his ugly head again.

bob.bigorange#605842 writes:

in response to 76Hoosiers:

you're name says it all........Vol fan for 40 yrs? which 40 years 1890 - 1930???? uh, watching the press conference today, its time Adams changed his profile pic - he looks like he was writing in the era I mentioned you must have come from????? hmmmmmm.
Coach Jones is a solid hire - take ur troll a@$ back to hoosierville or wherever you observe whatever and pls do so soon.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

who gives a chit what you think jonhboy

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to utvols1:

Don't know why you have to be king to have an opinion.

Phil isn't my boy, if he was I'm sure he would give me some of that 6 mil.

I always said Phil owed a lot to Cutcliffe and anyone with a brain knows it was when the three were together that we enjoyed our best years.

Fans like you apparently do feel entitled and I don't know why you think "your" team deserves to win more than Alabama, which put its money where its mouth was, or LSU, who despite having an idiot for a head coach has enough talent (and John Chavis) to win titles. Buildings don't win games. Players do. And coaches who have great players at every position seem a lot smarter than those who don't.

This administration has spent hardly anything because Hart just got here. The big money donors who do make the firing decisions could have put up the money to get a bigger name this time or last time. But they were paying Fulmer and now Dooley so much not to coach they apparently couldn't or wouldn't pay enough to get the kind of coach you deserve. Too bad about that.

Not sure exactly what you deserve but I hope you eventually get it.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

I will read no further as this post says it as close to the way it is..as any will. I hit on Adams as much, if not more, than any; most of his stuff is bush. He is dead on here. The fact we did not get first choices....and there is not one grain of proof in advance they would have fared better than Jones will...is because they did not want to come to Tennessee. Not because Hart did not try; not because other supporters did not support; not because we have never had periods of good, if not great history. They did not come because Tennessee is not the hot opportunity already sucessful coaches need.

Gruden? The most he ever accomplished at the college level was an end or quarterback coach. If we want a talking head or pretty face, why not Denzel Washington or Robert Duval? Better looking and better actors. Gruden's team won a Super Bowl but that is scant evidence he would work twenty four hours a day nursing 85 teen-agers or young adults. We should celebrate a sucessful, experienced coach who wants to be here. He is as good as we deserve and has as much chance of suceeding as any other name out there. There is not one reason to disrespect him until and unless he acts in a way to lose that respect.

I say an apparent good hire and am glad for this sucessful outcome.

VolMoment writes:

This is another bad article by a sorry person. Look at how many years Ala. was down, Notre Dame down, LSU went many years down, did some stupid sports writer saying the same as john cause them to not get back to the top--I DON'T THINK SO. So climb back in your hole. When people see what a little person john adams is they will say I knew he was a little person by his negative persona but didn't realize how little he is in totality.

rabblerowser writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

You're either ignorant or stupid!

rabblerowser writes:

Too many Vol fans look outside, see a clear day and tell us it's raining. Either they don't know what rain is or they can't see. The football program is 2nd or 3rd rate at best. You don't lose to Vandy 41 - 18 if you are top 30. It is what it is and JA got it right. Anybody that can't see that is stupid, blind, or doesn't know a friggin thing about football. Don't agree with me...then let your ignorance abound!

DocVelo writes:

in response to hueypilot:

This is actually an OK article. But a lot of Tennessee fans do have good reason to dislike Adams because he helped fan the flames that led us into the current situation. Saying negative things about the program when it is down is something that a credible journalist should do, but towards the end of Coach Fulmer's tenure, Adams' nastiness and open campaigning against Fulmer crossed a line past journalistic integrity and into the realm of the personal and the defamatory with direct attacks on Coach Fulmer's character. I cannot recall any other instance in which a head coach has deemed it necessary to pen a guest column to defend himself against the local newspaper, but I remember Fulmer doing that in 2008. You can't blame Adams for the way Fulmer was kicked to the curb, but I believe that he really did help to fan the flames of fan negativity and this contributed to the ignominious way that Fulmer's tenure ended. And we've seen how that's turned out.

This article isn't an example of the times that Adams has crossed this particular line--in fact I think it is a pretty good summary of the current state of affairs--but there are many such examples and some of us fans remember those. Hence the general dislike of Mr. Adams.

vol_mania82 writes:

Go away JA....just go away....

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

What is the 0-8 about? Can't be talking about anything the Vols have done, at least not in a single season. We are till one of only two programs that have never lost eight games in a season. We're you talking about UK or Auburn. They were both 0-8 in the conference this year.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to rabblerowser:

You're either ignorant or stupid!

You're nuts. Strong stayed at Louisville because of Louisville. He has a great situation, an admin willing to pay him ridiculous amounts of money, and he legitimately did not want to walk out on the players he made promises to. I really admired him when I read what he said. Why would he leave for any other job with what he has there?

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to 76Hoosiers:

Who was 3 and 4?

This is silly, and makes you look uninformed.

Jon Gruden was never interested, NEVER EVER CARED ABOUT UT. Get over it.

Charlie Strong confirmed as did Hart a contract was offered, choice #1.

Gundy denied everything, said he never thought serious about leaving and was just talk. Hart confirmed he was a candidate. choice #2, maybe?

Butch Jones, accepted, probably best option and probably should have been choice #1, ended up possibly at worst #3.

So I say again, who are these others????

underthehill writes:

Facts..UT may be a top 20 based on it's tradition, facilities, and fan base but it is not a top 20 program today..I get it..if you don't might want to get tested for DA..Jones has his work cut out for him..fans expecting miracles are going to be disappointed..reality..5 wins 7 losses next year will require a good coaching job..look at the schedule..Or, Fla, Ga, S Car, bama..5 L South Ala, Austin Peay, W. Ky, ky, 4 W
others..Vandy, Mizzu, Auburn..if UT wins 2 of these and gets 6 wins..it would be a great coaching job..if UT should win 7..I would consider it a minor miracle...hope it happens..

Rock85 writes:

The Insulting of Tennessee fans that LOVED Tennessee enough to expect Dave Hart And Jimmy The Cheek to hire Jon Gruden has to stop. The Chattanooga Times Free Press has never been proven wrong. Again just made fun of and insulted.This paper,am 990 ,Mrs SEC and Tennessee should remember, with out the common lil fans, YOUR OUT OF WORK.. And we will NOT be shut up by your insults..

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to iowavol:

Bashar Al Assad (Syrian Dictator, massacres his own citizens),
Fred Phelps (he and his followers thank God for dead US soldiers),
Kim Jong Un (North Korean dictator who has done nothing to alleviate the suffering of the N. Koreans),
Robert Mugabe (dictator of Zimbabwe),
Mohammed Morsi (elected religious zealot of Egypt, recently allowed islamists to enshrine the Koran into Egypt's new constitution against the wish of the people)

There's a list of human beings who are actually despicable. They hurt and oppress others because they are obsessed with their own power and beliefs.

John Adams has an opinion that is different than yours. How about you try to keep the hyperbole and rhetoric in perspective and try not to look like a crazy obsessed person yourself?

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

"Well, regardless of what you deserve, this is what you got."

I feel sorry for your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend.

76Hoosiers writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Who was 3 and 4?

This is silly, and makes you look uninformed.

Jon Gruden was never interested, NEVER EVER CARED ABOUT UT. Get over it.

Charlie Strong confirmed as did Hart a contract was offered, choice #1.

So I say again, who are these others????

1. Just because Gruden wasn't interested doesn't mean he wasn't Hart's, or the fan's, first choice.
2. Gundy.
3. Strong.
4. Fedora, if you believe Climer's article, which of course I do.
5. Jones.

76Hoosiers writes:

in response to bob.bigorange#605842:

Your last sentence says it all. He probably is a "solid" hire, but after seeing all of the great teams over the years and hearing about all of the great UT tradition that existed before I was born (believe it or not), I still believed UT had the ability to make a great hire. "Solid" probably means typical records of 8-4 or 7-5 and annual trips to the Outback or Chic-Fil-A bowl, which I guess right now looks pretty good, but for a program with UT's resources, fan base, and tradition is below standard.

arkyvol writes:

i'm willing to give jones a decent shot, but what i'm really grateful for is that we didn't end up with gundy. wrong for u.t. in too many ways to count.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to iowavol:

When are you people going to admit that Fulmer got himself fired. Should have happened before it did. He got lazy and his recruiting had gotten terrible, he also didn't want to hire someone that would over shadow him. Why don't we give coach Jones a chance and quit writing all of this garbage. I dare say 90% of the posters on here wouldn't know where to start to coach a football team. Alot have never been on a football field. Just maybe we have a coach that really does care and really wants to be here.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to titletownz:

First decent thing you've said in a while.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

lighten up Vol fans. Jones may turn out to be just fine.
You really want to see something telling about UT? Go over to Vol Nation & check the thread of Jimmy Cheek eating a booger at the press conference. No phooey, they have it on tape & I saw it. Real high class!