Online reaction swift to Butch Jones' hire

FILE - In this Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012 file photo, Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones gestures during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Connecticut at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. Tennessee has hired Jones as its next football coach, the school announced Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill, File)

Do you believe Butch Jones is the right choice to be UT's coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee's coaching search wrapped up Friday, Dec. 7, 2012, with the hiring of Cincinnati coach Butch Jones. Here is a sampling of online reaction to that hire.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

BUTCH , sounds like its got bite . FANTASTIC

Tenacn writes:

Now the fun begins! Good luck Butch! GBO!!!

pcorange writes:

Didn't see the sampling. Maybe we are writing the article for them? Anyway, proud to have Butch Jones at the next coach of the Tennessee Volunteers. I will support him 100% until there is a legitimate reason not to. We will need patience in the first year as well, especially on the defensive side of the ball. GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Vol_atile writes:

Yea excitment reigns! @ Cincy he had 4 3*'s this year. Last year he was 34th in recruiting. The SEC is shaking in their boots.......not

TrouserCough writes:

Fire Dave Hart!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Good solid hire. He should do well at UT. Big East Coach of the Year last year (yes he beat out Charlie Strong) with a winning record against Charlie Strong. And for the poster trying to compare recruiting in the Big East with recruiting in the SEC, if that is the limit of your knowledge, do you really think you have any credibility? Besides, look what he did with those Big East 3* recruits.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Vol_atile:

Actually being 34th in recruiting at Cincinnati is pretty good. UT is currently 28th depending on who you ask.

He will be able to recruit 4 & 5 star athletes to UT.

The fact that he had 23-14 record with 3 star athletes tells us he can coach. Let's give him the chance.

Supersayin1 writes:

Atleast he has a Cool name!! Welcome coach Jones RECRUIT RECRUIT RECRUIT RECRUIT!!!! If he wants to start the year off right, get the Big 3 to Stay, Keep Pittman,and Grahm,and Bring in Tee Martin, and a compitant DC who will run the 4-3! GO VOLS!

budd#207344 writes:

in response to Vol_atile:

He is now recruiting for Tennessee not Cincinnati. Plus I know this will com e as a shock for you grown men who are so interested in high school kids but its coaching. If the guy can get a solid DC and defensive coaches,keep the OC and staff intact then I think he can win in the SEC. Dooley couldn't because he couldn't coach. But the talent is there and if this guy can get the right staff we will win.
That said Dave Hart is 0-2 as far as I am concerned and needs to go soon

VOLsince68 writes:

Yeah, but he will be able to recruit better at UT. Nothing against Cincy, but this is UT and the SEC.

GBO VFL!!!

D60 writes:

Well maybe his offense can out perform Clownzo's

Prostar writes:

Welcome to UT Coach Jones. You are the man. The ball is in your court, now show us what you are made of and put together a competent defensive staff. We know our offense can score, but don't count on Patterson as I really doubt he'll be academically eligible and is probably gone to the NFL anyway.

CCLC writes:

When a program badly needing stability–and willing to match anyone’s financial offer–is already on its fifth choice for HC, it is indeed time to panic, because it appears none of the “stabilizing” coaches will come until there’s stability. A real trap, eh? No wonder Fulmer was actually the front-runner in the latest reader poll at RockyTopTalk (Butch Jones, reportedly the latest target, came in at a booming 4%, which means he’d probably begin with about the same fan-base confidence level as SOD).
UT does not rebound from this one. End of era.

RockyTopFever writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Fire Dave Hart!

Really Dave Hart hes been on campus for a couple of years and people like you want him fired.He can not make a head coach take a job they don't want.I'm sure Dave Hart never coached a single game at UT win or lose. So unless you have the credentials to be the athletic director or the head coach at any university PIPE IT DOWN and give them a chance!!!!!!!!

pcorange writes:

in response to CCLC:

UT does not rebound from this one. End of era.

I can't remember if you are a Florida troll or just a regular idiot, but either way, you are an idiot. It's a good thing folks on this message board don't handle coaching searches. You'd have $100M a year in a coach with nothing but a name.

thecafeongreenwood writes:

MY GRUDEN! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!

Red_October writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

He will be able to recruit 4 & 5 star athletes to UT.

I agree.

Look, I would rather have a coach in here that WANTS to be here, rather than someone that I had to throw a ton of money at to get them to change their mind. This is not Dooley 2.0. Apples and Oranges trying to compare Dooley and Jones. Will he be successful? I have no idea just like none of you do. But he's the coach of our team and we need to support him and the guys that go out and battle every Saturday. I certainly like his "fire" and disciplined leadership. I think we need that. Go Vols!

Volofsteel writes:

Welcome to Tennessee Coach Jones. You are being entrusted with the reins of the football program I, along with many others, hold near and dear. I ask that you give 100+% every day and every play for everyone that is a part of the VOL NATION. The same is expected of your staff and players so surround yourself with the best.

VOLNCAL writes:

Glad we got a coach. This will help in stabalizing our VOLS. I'll reserve opinion On him till next season. The proof is in the pudding. Start cooking coach.

Southland writes:

people that keep pointing out he has recruited very few three and four star players would you please stop it. Do you think you could talk a super star into going to Cinncinnati to play football?? Of course not. He will get big time players at UT after he turns the program back to a winner the stars will come. If he is a mediocre coach he will do better than what we have endured the past four years. The tough thing is he has a murderous schedule next year.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

I'd hate to sound like a member of the Legion of perpetually pessimistic posters, but I'm not crazy about this hire. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll support CBJ (ok, can't use the initials any more), but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was at least a little disappointed. Guess time will tell.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Now we count down to the decision on whether to stay by Bray, Hunter, Patterson.

avolalumnus writes:

Not my first choice, but it wasn't Hart's either. Never drank the Kiffin Kool Aid and wasn't all that fired up about Dooley. But Butch is our coach now. Sure looks like he wanted this job. Let's give the man a chance.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

This hire makes me nervous as well. But you know this guy wanted the job. There are a lot of "big time" coaches out there who wouldn't come near the SEC. And some that "get sick" so they can get out and go find an easier league to coach in. BUT this guy wanted it over Colorado and Purdue. At least he aint scared. And if he gets the right staff I know he has the talent.
As for Bray , Hunter, and CP. I think they will go but they will be making a mistake as all three need some more work. However, its their money

born2ride writes:

They should report what is being posted on Vol message boards.

It is brutal.

in response to pcorange:

He's a Georgia troll. Agree completely about posters as coach recruiters. "Names" are about all they know about football or coaches. There is a reason why all of us are on here opining instead of coaching or hiring coaches.

All of you who are hoping that Jones can keep Bray, Hunter, and Patterson here are dreaming, though I agree that all need further seasoning. As I hear it, Patterson wouldn't have a choice about staying; word is he has quit going to class. If Hunter and Bray are 1st or 2d round picks, they wouldn't stay if Bill Belichek were the next Vols coach. We have several good underclassmen in the offensive skill positions. Time for them to get their chance under our new coach. We ought to be more concerned about the defense and the brutal schedule the team faces next year.

CCLC writes:

in response to pcorange:

Brian Kelly had already turned around both Central Michigan and Cincy when Butch Jones got those jobs, and if anything, both programs declined a notch after Butch Jones took over.

punkin writes:

I think Dave Hart just punched me in the gut.

exlineman writes:

For all you people that can't support our incoming coach, you will forget about Patterson, once Jalen Reeves Maybin sets foot on the field. The young man is better than Patterson now and Coach Jones may be the coach that can get Jalen Hurd. Both are stud athletes and we may have a chance to get both of them. I look for coach Jones to get the right defensive coach and players that we have been missing out on.

Some of you people shouldn't call yourselves fans, if you can't get behind Coach Jones and show him the support he needs. Some of you need to latch on to Peabody, as that is who some of you fans remind me of. I wanted Gruden, but I will support Coach Jones.

woodwr#217203 writes:

Look at the Butch Jones Cincinnati Coaching Staff.

Imagine who he'll assemble with a real SEC budget.

Watch any past UC Big East Game on ESPN or CBS Sports.

Imagine those plays with SEC size & speed.