Jones tells Vols to 'Be the best'

Screen grab of the video posted by UTSportsTV on YouTube which highlights Butch Jones' first day as head coach of the University of Tennessee Volunteers football team.

Photo by UTSportsTV

A video posted online by Tennessee on Saturday showed new coach Butch Jones's first remarks to his new players during a team meeting Friday.

Jones told his players that he came here to "be the best" and he wanted them to embrace the same "Tennessee swagger."

"You don't know what you have," Jones said. "When you look at the stadium, your facilities, they're the best in the country. You are the best of the best. We're going to act, talk, think like the best, because that's who we are. That's why you came here, and I'll be honest, that's why I came here."

He also echoed some of the same confident lines he used later in front of the media.

"I've been a head coach for six years and I've won four championships, so the program that we have is infallible, if you allow it to work," he said.

Jones told the players he would run a fast-paced but still pro-style offensive attack meant to defeat opponents "physically and psychologically."

He also told his players that his door was always open and they could call on him anytime.

"I can't coach you hard if I don't know you, and I'm going to coach you hard," Jones said. "I'm going to push you everyday."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOLtage writes:

I'm so Go Big Orange tonight I can hardly stand it !!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to VOLtage:

I'm so Go Big Orange tonight I can hardly stand it !!

"I can't stand it! I can't stand it!" She said
"I'll quit then!" He said.
"Well I can't hardly stand it." She said.

bob.bigorange#605842 writes:

Waste no time and hit the ground running. GBO

miatatom writes:

Welcome coach, you look great in orange. GBO!

nocahoma writes:

Why is he talking crazy..."Tennessee Swagger" and "pro-style offensive attack meant to defeat opponents "physically and psychologically." Has he looked at the schedule for next yr? He talks the talk but when it comes to "SEC SEC" Will he walk the walk?

nocahoma writes:

I just read this article again. It is like a Sat. Night Live script. It is full of 1 liners. I don't know if he is serious or not but he has personality, I will give him that.

Enki_Amenra writes:

A lot of skeptical Vol fans at first, probably because of the deflation from not scoring the household name coach - you know, the one who has no college history, or the others who used our Vols as a springboard to a pay increase.

After learning a bit about this guy, I decided to give my full support, and remain cautious...

After seeing this guy interact with our Volunteers, I decided to be optimistic...

After seeing him address the media, the fans, and after learning a bit more about his history, he took away the decision - it's replaced with anxiety - the good kind.

If Coach Jones remains consistant with his attitude and philosophy, I think we all have reason to be anxious about the newest edition of our VOLS!!

Anxious, as in; Spending 6 months learning kung-fu and being so anxious and excited about whipping the bully down the street the very next time he picks on you, you can hardly wait!

I hope everyone of you who have ever followed the VOLS, or have called yourself a Big Orange fan, get the same impression and feeling about this guy.

It is more than optimism and, while I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, he has something that's been missing on Rocky Top for some time.

I waited all off-season, with crossed fingers, hoping the 2012 Vols would be great. There was a feeling of confidence and excitement, after the N.C. State game, that had been missing for a while.

The electricity in the days leading up the the Florida game was incredible. The atmosphere on campus, Gameday, and in Neyland Stadium was on the level of something we have missed for some time now.

All Vols had the feeling that our 2012 Vols would be a break-out group - but that flame was quickly extinguished.

I am beginning to have those same great feelings for next year's Vols - and have yet to even see his staff!

I hope I am not the only Volunteer who is getting this impression! I like it and can't wait to see what is unveiled in 2013!

I had to wait until '12 Vols played a couple games before I felt the excitement, but not with this guy. He is bringing something here that is exciting.

I hope it continues to grow until the season kicks off and we can see what he's down with our guys in Orange!

Go Vols!!!

FWBVol writes:

in response to nocahoma:

Get a clue. What do you expect him to do or say? Would you rather him tell talk about a Tennessee Swagger, which has been missing for a while, or telling the team how impossible next year's schedule is.

Part of turning a program around is setting the tone mentally and physcologically.

There's an old joke the late Jerry Clower used to tell about a rancher that had three bulls and several hundred cows. Well one day the bulls hear the rancher talking to his foreman about how he was going to be bring in a new bull for breeding.

So the oldest of the three bulls says to the other two, "I'm the king of this pasture. I've been here more than 10 years and I've got 50 cows that are mine. That new bull isn't going to get any of them from me."

The second bull speaks up and says, "I've been here about five years and I've got about 20 cows and that new bull isn't messing with my good thing just bring him on."

Finally the youngest bull speaks up and says, "I've only been here two years and I only have five cows, but that new bull had better not try to take any from me either."

So the day comes when the new bull arrives and before it gets out of the trailer the trailer is shaking like it's in a tornado. And then out steps the biggest, baddest bull any of the other three had ever seen a snorting and kicking up dust.

So the first bull speaks up and said, "Maybe I was a little hasty. I think I can share the wealth." The second bull said, "I think you're right. I have plenty of cows that I can miss a few."

About that time they hear the youngest bull making a grunting noise and paw the ground looking at the new bull. The old bull said, "Boy, don't you know that new bull will tear you apart?" To which the young bull replied, "You're probably right, but I thought he'd best know that one of us is still a bull."

Butch Jones is simply reminding the Vol players that they are still bulls. If you go into a season thinking you're whipped, then you are.

nocahoma writes:

"I've been a head coach for six years and I've won four championships" I hope he understands that the SEC does not care what he did in the kids league. He is with the big boys now.

nocahoma writes:

"Tennessee Swagger" was lost the day that idiot let Chavis walk to bring in his dad as UT's D.Cord.. Out of all the Coaches, I am glad UT got Butch Jones. He should of been the first choice all along. Change will not come over night and you better face it, the Vols will have a losing season next yr. and that is that. I hope fans understand it takes a commitment to turn a program around. That means a min. of 6 yrs to see what a coach can really do. When the bad times come you have to ride the ship.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Enki_Amenra:

Go Vols!!!

Great Post!!!

I'm not a football expert and was skeptical when I first heard Coach Jones name but now I'm glad we got him. I never wanted Fisher or Gundy. I like and respect Strong but think we should have not messed around and should have hired Coach Jones from day 1. 4 Championships in 6 years!!! Let that sink in because I don't care if you are coaching a Pee Wee team, that is impressive!!!
GO VOLS!!!
TXVOLSFAN
VFL

Coach Jones reminds me of Bruce Pearl with the personality and the energy!!!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

Your opinion means nothing just like mine so I am going to give him a chance. A lot of people that do know what they are talking about have told me that this guy is far superior to Fisher(FSU fans were hoping we took him)or Gundy (same with OSU fans)and he will build a championship program. They compare him to Coach Pearl without the baggage. The guy works nonstop and demands excellence or you will not be on the field!!!
Great Hire
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN
VFL

bigorangebolt writes:

I like Butch Jones first impression! He has the right attitude!
We must experience some pain, before we are on Rocky Top again! Let 's get behind Coach Jones and show everyone, we are UT! Go Big Orange!

nocahoma writes:

At first I was really happy about the hire but unlike others after watching this I am not sure. He opens up by saying he had to tell a championship team that he is leaving. I think he is trying to hard to show he is qualified for the job. The Vols killed his so called championship team. So it is safe to say that infallible thing he is talking about is false. Next, He brings out fast and furious pro style offense. Ut is going to run and pass the football...ummmm what else would you do with the ball on offense? Then he hits on the special teams saying his teams were always 1st and 2nd in the CONF. Really is that saying much? Oh then comes the great plan for Defense...."Ball Destruction" cause fumbles. Does that mean we can expect more arm tackling in order to try to slap the ball out of the running back or WR.? Only time will tell the truth of what he can or can't do for the program.

JB-old-school-Volsfan writes:

GO Vols!!! Can't wait for the season to start

Orangeblood64 writes:

I don't get where all these negitive post come from and attacking a coach who has yet been on the job 72 hours. Like it or not, he is our coach. Support him until you have reason not to. Like I have posted before "If we are on the TITANIC, then lets enjoy the ride"

Scoon writes:

"Tennessee swagger"

Oh, PAAALEEEZ! Well, Vols...what's that tell ya?? A John Calipari copycat wanna be!! Startin off good there for you, boys!!

Orangeblood64 writes:

The TROLLs are out in force this mourning.

Ironcity writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

If its related to UT you have said he or it will not be successful your entire life. You really don't have an opinion you just wish ill on the program. Thats OK, to each his own.

govolsn3 writes:

I am not a troll by any means, ROCKY TOP club season tix held since they started but I have to give them up. No trust in the leadership with my money. There is no way that you can justify 18 million plus all the buy out money around 10 million = 28 million dollars to hire a guy that got hammered by the coach that was ran off. I will always pull for the VOLS and one day might even scalp a ticket to see a good conference game but the 10 thousand dollar per ticket donation plus tix and parking ($42,000) is going to have to come from someone else. Good luck coach JONES your gonna need it.

ColPhorbin writes:

in response to nocahoma:

nocahoma... that's a bit petty dude. What's he going to say... get your pads on lets skip the intros. Maybe they should've held the press conference while he held a practice dummy. Bottom line naysayers: He took control of that room and apparantly has control of a staff that's been with him for years, which is a far cry from what we saw in the Dooley regime. If this great coach doesn't get it done, that will be our fault... I'm kidding of course, but I like this guy.

ColPhorbin writes:

...

clvolfan writes:

in response to nocahoma:

It might educate you a little if you check the coaches, of past 5-10 years, who have come into te SEC fo first time,and some from not very good progams,who have excelled here-Some with national championships.
Give this coach a chance,afterall the AD who created ths mess is longgone,so I hope this present AD is getting it right,and believe he is.

pms151 writes:

in response to nocahoma:

He inherited this schedule and players. Give him a chance.

pms151 writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

So all of what he said is BS in your mind? Read this and see if you change your mind. You may also want to change your screen name as it suggests you do not have an open mind.

bbfn writes:

"Stadium best in the country"?? Has he even seen it? Does he know how run down it is and how dank and dark parts of the concourse and restrooms are?
Construction debris left for years. Stadium needs a major facelift. First time visitors are surprised at how bad it is.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to govolsn3:

Here are a few things to note.

Ted Bundy didnt consider himself a serial rapist either, but that didnt mean he wasnt one. You are a troll.

I dont believe you paid anything close or even an exponential faction of what you claim, so us losing what was nothing anyway doesnt really hurt us.

And if by some miracle you did give any money, and are now deciding not to give anymore, then good riddance to your money. Maybe it was your tainted money that gave us the bad karma in the first place.

Dont let the door hit you on your way out.

therightstuff writes:

in response to Enki_Amenra:

Go Vols!!!

Good post. Well thought out unlike some of the naysayer posts gracing the page.......

therightstuff writes:

in response to nocahoma:

You and Anyone_But_Libs.....what do you want him to say? Should he say I suck, you suck, what swagger, Neyland sucks, let's tuck tail and run....? Is that what he should be saying? I believe he can and will walk the walk.......

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

The BS stops on Aug. 31, 2013.

redskinvol1 writes:

BUTCH JONES CAN WIN A LOT OF FANS OVER QUICKLY WITH A TOP 10 TO TOP 15 CLASS!!GO VOLS AND HTTR!!

allvol32 writes:

It's a fact that there is a new era beginning for TN football with the hiring of Butch Jones. It is amazing to me how many folks go out of their way to post multiple negative comments about the hire and the future of the program.

I hope these folks find another team that they can grace with their "support". You won't be missed around here.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

Wonder if Bray, Patterson and a few others stay or go. Surely Bray is not a high pick this year.

nocahoma writes:

in response to therightstuff:

I don't know something like this would of been nice..."Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight we stay with them, and we shut them down because we can. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players—every one of you, and you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"........ Now that is how a leader should address a team!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

Do you notice that there's always laughter when you leave the room?

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

NO we didn't. Dooley was about Dooley and The Kiff was a young sinsationlist.
Butchy knows what it takes he has proven it. But, the SEC is a different animal. It can eat you alive. Like he said the LSU & the Bama coach both came from outside the south. Time will tell.

BMSvol writes:

tennessee would have won the big east the last 3 years easily.

save all the bs coachspeak....we heard it all from lane before.

this is the SEC. theres a reason butch is here...he wants to compete with the best.

welcome to murderers row. when u get fla,ga,sc,bama, and i think next year lsu and a&m all back to back then tell us how infallible the system for winning the mac and big east is

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

Butch " freaking" Jones is going to put some beatdowns on Fla and Ala in the near future. This guy is exactly what UT needed a young energetic proven winner and out to prove to the college football world that everybody is going to wish they had a coach like Butch "freaking" Jones. AWESOME! this is AWESOME! With Tennessee talent get ready UT is gong to beat the likes of Oregon, Fl and Ala next year. GBO!!!!! Butch"freaking" Jones will become a LEGEND in ROCKYTOP!!!! Time to reclaim what is ours which is the SEC EAST and start playing for SEC titles once again. Pack the house ROCKYTOP is back.

gillblog writes:

in response to nocahoma:

I have a suspicion ALL good college coaches talk like that.

I am the most cynical, pessimistic person I have ever known (being old tends to do that to you...) but after watching Jones speak to the players I myself am motivated and excited.

Whether or not he can attain the goals he is setting, at the very least he SOUNDS like he knows precisely what he's doing. He's got energy with knowledgable confidence which may be what this team needs most right now.

GOVOLS !

therightstuff writes:

in response to nocahoma:

That would be great when they are lacing it up against Oregon.... right now they are not playing and he was addressing his new team. Again, what should he be saying right now....not pre-game talk, right now? I take it he was introducing his team as to what to expect......

TaylorJH writes:

in response to bbfn:

Is that the best you can do? You are making the trolls look bad.

PennVol writes:

This guy has at least been a winner everywhere he has been, even if it's at lower levels. That's something Kiffin and Dooley didn't have when they walked in. I like that he is confident in his ability to win if you follow his approach. There's a reason why we still have Neyland's Maxims 70 years later - blocking, tackling, kicking game and turnovers define the winners and the losers - even in the SEC. So let's see what this guy can do. Hopefully he's a good enough recruiter to get some good players in here to see what kind of a gameday coach he is in 2013.

TaylorJH writes:

in response to miatatom:

Welcome coach, you look great in orange. GBO!

I second that! Best wishes, Coach Jones.

jt45 writes:

in response to Enki_Amenra:

Go Vols!!!

I agree ! Coach Jones seems to have the confidence and determination that we really needed this past season. When you look at the attitude he has, you get the feeling he might very well lead the program back to another NC.The players deserve a coach who teaches them to be winners both on and off the field, CJ seems like the right coach to do just that.

But its more than that, his approach is a 180 degree turnaround from what Dooley had. I expect coach Jones will be very candid and open with the players,the fans and the Media. All these things should really help to pull the Vol nation back together, wich is something UT has been missing for a very long time.

SummittsCourt writes:

The more I see, the more I like. Go Big Orange!

TaylorJH writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

Baaaaa! Its good to be a sheep. I'm a believer.

NewSchoolVol1992 writes:

in response to Enki_Amenra:

Go Vols!!!

Agreed. He brings a lot of much needed energy to this team. I wonder however if Tyler Bray realizes that he's not going to be able to throw his tantrums and yell at CBJ like he did CDD. Tyler may bolt to the NFL so he can be the next Ryan Leaf somewhere else.

volhome#407234 writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

Be careful there, sport, you may hurt yourself patting yourself on the back like that. Coach Jones comes in with positives that the two prior coaches did not. He has a winning record, he has coached championship teams, and he truly wants to be here. We should all expect year one to be a transition year, but considering what we are transitioning from, not too difficult a thing. The one thing that would have been a great thing for th time machine would be for CBJ to be the head coach for the 2012 season. Suspicions are that he would have delivered a better result the CDD's 5-7 debacle (which is actually 4-7, the fifth win being under Coach Chaney). Time will tell about going forward, but we should see improvements based on the coach's history.

Rugby2 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

"I can't stand it! I can't stand it!" She said
"I'll quit then!" He said.
"Well I can't hardly stand it." She said.

Made me laugh, thanks.

Give Blood Play Rugby

Rugby2 writes:

in response to nocahoma:

Is that old time hockey? Eddie Shore? It's true if Dickie Dunn wrote it.

Give Blood Play Rugby