Grainger High School retires Skylar McBee’s jersey

Tennessee guard Skylar McBee (13) keeps the ball away from guard Delbert Love (3) during the second half at Thompson-Boling Arena Friday, Nov. 9, 2012. Tennessee won 76-67 over Kennesaw State. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee basketball senior Skylar McBee was honored by Grainger High School Saturday when the school retired his No. 4 prep basketball jersey during an on-court ceremony in its gymnasium in Rutledge, Tenn.

A Rutledge native, McBee graduated from Grainger High School in 2009. He finished his prep career with 2,362 points – second only to former Tennessee All-American A.W. Davis (2,644). McBee lettered on the GHS varsity basketball team for four years. He played for coach Kip Combs as a freshman and sophomore, and he played for current GHS head coach Derrick Combs as a junior and senior.

Grainger High School was known as Rutledge High School until McBee’s senior season, changing its name to Grainger High School starting with the 2008-09 academic year. Also at that time, the mascot changed from the Pioneers to the Grizzlies.

McBee was joined on the court Saturday by his parents, Doug and Sue McBee, and he had numerous friends and family members in attendance as well. Grainger High School Athletic Director Andy Wells recited several of McBee’s prep and collegiate accomplishments before presenting McBee with a framed No. 4 jersey.

The school also hung a personalized No. 4 banner that will be displayed permanently in the gym.

“I’m very proud of where I come from,” Skylar McBee said Saturday. “And it’s an honor that all these people back home think that highly of me that they want to retire my number. It’s very humbling, and it means a lot to me.”

Though he joined the Volunteers as a freshman walk-on for the 2009-10 campaign, McBee is now in his third year as a scholarship member of the program. He is the most experienced player on this year’s Tennessee roster, having appeared in 105 games. He has made 123 3-pointers in his UT career, and is just 32 3-pointers away from breaking into the school’s all-time top-10 list for 3-pointers made in a career.

“It’s great to see Skylar recognized by his high school,” UT head coach Cuonzo Martin said. “Skylar comes from a tremendous family. He’s done a great job of representing them, as well as his entire community, during his time as a Vol. His character, work ethic, toughness and humility are the traits that allow him to perform at such a high level, and it’s clear that he’s a reflection of his community and the people of Grainger County.”

McBee wore No. 12 for his first three high school seasons and switched to No. 4 as a senior when the school became Grainger High School. He has worn No. 13 throughout his career at Tennessee.

Doves writes:

He will be remembered here for, among other things, his shot that sinched the win in the Kansas game, when four scholarship athletes plus some walk-ons beat the number one team in the nation. Plus, he has always been a class act.

Basketvol writes:

Congratulations Skylar! Good job representing your community and the state of TN. I look forward to reading all of the positive posts about this accomplishment.

LSG410EC83 writes:

Congrats Mr. McBee. Have truly enjoyed watching your hustle while playing for UT. No one can ever complain about you never giving your all for the team. Look forward to seeing you break into the top 10 for three point shooters. Thnaks for representing your school and your state in such a positive way. May God richly bless you in whatever you do after college. You are a class act.

jt45 writes:

Well done McBee, you have done your High School proud,
best of luck for the rest of the season and beyond.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

Love it! I actually have some roots way back in Grainger County somewhere. Congrats, Skylar. We love watching you and are thrilled that you're a Vol!

eduardo writes:

Dude cant hit anything on a consistent basis! If he was more consistent would get more accolades.

movol53 writes:

in response to eduardo:

And you sir always so F ing positive. The Playmate of the month could give you a $10,000 bill naked and you'd female dog about it. With Fans like you we don't need any enemies. Beat he could beat you on the court. In fact name the best thing you can do and I bet he can beat you at that. I know you will reply back but I'll not answer as you are nothing but a jerk!!

eduardo writes:

in response to movol53:

movol53 writes:

in response to eduardo:

If you are so good did you have the "family jewels" big enough to walk onto a D 1 team!!!!
NO!!!! all you can do is run your mouth!!!! Or in this case keyboard!!! I told you that you would reply; are you 8 or 10 years old??? Or did I guess too high??? I'm trying to give YOU some credit here. But you just keep typing and proving me right.

lstbodeanvol writes:

congrats to sweet tea McBee for 3 !!!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

MoVol,

This is sorta funny........ed ward o bragging about what he can do on the court. Sure.

Easy to hit the shots from his keyboard. Forget him Mo.........just another troll.

movol53 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

MoVol,

I'm so SICK of all the negative comments. No of us could do any better; whatever it is. You would think BB players shoot to miss and defensive guys run 30 yards just to miss a tackle. Not only that but WR don't want to catch the ball either. All of us make errors. I guess is perfect!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to eduardo:

Hey Lil e,the article is on his high school retiring his # not his shooting prowess in college.....sorry I assume the glass is always half empty for you based on the way your lil postings seem to always go......

Basketvol writes:

in response to movol53:

I knew this would happen as soon as I saw the article headline. Some people just thrive on negativity. I feel sorry for them. Why can't they just be happy for Skylar? Because they are most likely compensating for their own low self esteem. So Eduardo, what team did you play for? Thanks Mo and all the others for your positive comments. We need more fans like you, and fewer of the "negavols."

in response to Basketvol:

I too wondered how long it would take for somebody to come on this thread with a negative comment. As someone else said, he is being honored for his accomplishments at GHS, not at UT, though those are also considerable, given where he started out at UT. He may yet be the hero again a time or two. In the last couple of games, he has shown he can do something on offense besides hoisting threes, and he has always been among the leaders in defensive hustle. Some people would gripe if you hung them with a new rope, which wouldn't be a bad idea for some of the sourpusses on here.

tennrich1 writes:

Skylar is a positive, engaging, humble, honestly nice young man which the world and our sports team could use a bushel full of....Way to go Skylar....something to have for all time....and thanks for the influence you have on our team...

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Go McBee Hit that three

(I just made that poem up)

voloffaith writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Go McBee Hit that three

(I just made that poem up)

Which you said with glee as you said tee hee hee watch santa come down the chim-ney......whoops almost hit the CHRIST-mas tree...located in Tennessee..........GO VOLS!!!!

Basketvol writes:

So, while this is a great story about a UT player, and I enjoyed reading it along with the positive comments . . . we do have a home game on Thursday against an undefeated, ranked opponent with an RPI of 17--and we are in need of a win. Any chance KNS is going to give us "the scoop" on this game anytime soon?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Basketvol:

The Nocs play LSU(undefeated tigers) tonight. the scoop is that LSU will win. Now the mocettes could beat LSU men.I think the LMs play Auburn next?

These KNS type writers(pun intended) don't put out much besides gossip. Sorta like ESPdarN.

mocsandvolsfan writes: