Tee Martin to remain USC assistant

Tee Martin

Tee Martin

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Southern California wide receivers coach Tee Martin said Tuesday that he'll remain at the school instead of returning to Tennessee to join new Vols coach Butch Jones' staff.

Martin, the former quarterback who led Tennessee to the 1998 national title, is in his first season on Trojans coach Lane Kiffin's staff.

"I was very honored to be offered a position on Coach Jones' Tennessee staff," Martin said in a statement posted on school's website. "I truly believe he will do an outstanding job with the Vols program. My decision to remain at USC was the toughest I have ever had to make because Tennessee is such a special place to me.

"At the end of the day, I am a man of my word. I promised Coach Kiffin when I was hired at USC that I had goals I wanted to accomplish here. We still have work to do here to reach those goals. I see a great future at USC with the players on our roster and the recruits we have coming in.

"I have so much love and respect for Tennessee. But at this time, the right decision was to continue at USC and I am looking forward to doing that."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

CheckerboardPassed writes:

The irony of former Tennessee national championship quarterback Tee Martin saying, "At the end of the day, I am a man of my word. I promised Coach Kiffin ...(something that is yet to be accomplished as an assistant)".... is a bit too hard to take for me and most Tennessee fans!

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

If he was a man of his word and had already made promises to the players then why bother making the trip to TN??? I think we know why. So tired of it always being about the money. It's hard these days to find a coach that is so dedicated to his team and University that money never gets in the way of that. I know that a lot of people have mixed feelings about Fulmer, but that man was a true VOL. That's very hard to find now. Just tired of coaches jumping ship at the first chance to make a little more money.

tensie2004 writes:

Tee just threw his Vol For Life rigbt out the door. When times get hard for him at USC I hope we turn our back on him.

VolzsFan writes:

forget VFL, what about his illegitimate son here in Knoxville. At least he came and watched him play the other day. I guess coaching that wr at USC is more important than that boy he is leaving behind. Tee showed his true colors as a man. I am done with him.

tensie2004 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Didn't know he had a son living in Knoxville. Does he ever spend any time with him or is he an absentee father. This just adds insult to injury. If his statue is still on the campus in Knoxville and street named after him, then both need to be taken down. He is not a Vol For Life!!!

leedsvol2007 writes:

Tee was offered a lateral move not a coordinator's position.

While I would have loved to see him come back it is probably in his career interest to work elsewhere.

Whether we like it or not USC is over the course of history a top five college football power and located in a media center.

Johnny Majors coached as a position coach at Mississippi State and Arkansas then as Iowa State's and Pittsburg Head Coach before returning to Knoxville.

Had he never gone elsewhere he might have never advanced his career.

Don't write Tee off just yet.

GoVols!

tanasi2 writes:

Why does everyone think Tee martin is a good enough coach to even be hired at Tennessee??? So what if he was a QB on a National Champ team! Does that make him a great coach???