Alabama QB McCarron to return for senior year

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron (10) reacts after an Alabama field goal against Georgia during the first half of the Southeastern Conference championship NCAA college football game, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Jamie Martin)

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, who has led the Crimson Tide to its second straight national title game, said he will return for his senior season instead of entering the NFL draft.

McCarron made the announcement in a statement released by the school on Wednesday.

"I had many goals for myself when I came to the University of Alabama," the junior said. "I have been lucky enough to achieve some of those goals, but some are still ahead of me. There were many factors in my decision to return to Alabama for my senior year but, after talking with my family and coaches, I knew it was the right choice for me.

"I love the University of Alabama, my coaches, my teammates and our fans. I am excited to have the opportunity to play with my brother (sophomore tight end Corey McCarron), continue to grow as a leader, continue to help our team win football games and develop even further as a quarterback. The NFL has long been a dream, but I think another year at Alabama can only help my chances of being successful at the next level."

McCarron leads the nation in passing efficiency headed into the BCS championship game against Notre Dame on Jan. 7 in Miami, and he was MVP of the BCS championship game against LSU last season. He is 24-2 as a starter.

McCarron has thrown for 2,669 yards and a school-record 26 touchdown passes against just three interceptions this season. His 45 career TD passes is second in Alabama history.

"We are pleased that AJ has decided to return for his senior year next season," Alabama coach Nick Saban said. "He's done a great job for us and has really grown, not only as a quarterback and a player, but as a leader of our team. Like I've said before, we want to help our players make sound decisions when it comes to what is best for their future. Our goal at Alabama is to help our guys develop a career off the field by graduating, become the best football players they can be during their time here, and try to win a championship while preparing them for the possibility of playing in the NFL.

"AJ has great support from his family and the people around him. He showed very good maturity in looking at all of the factors and making an informed decision on his future."

Alabama starts practicing for the championship game on Tuesday, Dec. 18.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

dvols writes:

oh this ought to be good....popcorn is ready!

SavTnVol writes:

Who Cares? This is a Tennessee site, not an Alabuma Crimson Turd site

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Average quarterback, at best, surrounded by outstanding players and a great head coach. Alabama quarterbacks are not required to be anything more than average - but with everything around them, they don't have to be.

Not sure what the big deal here is - guess he decided to announce that he is returning rather than declare for the NFL and go undrafted....?

arkyvol writes:

it was either one more year at bama or hang 'em up for good. his playing days are fast coming to an end.

Vol86 writes:

him vs bray who would you rather have? Good idea for a poll.

blewissmith writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

Who Cares? This is a Tennessee site, not an Alabuma Crimson Turd site

You should treat this site like any newspaper...if it doesn't interest you then don't read it...or even better yet...don't waste your time commenting.

murrayvol writes:

It's certainly swell for the Bamians. Good kid, good (college) qb, perfect for Saban's system, etc.

Like so many good college qbs his NFL future is at best cloudy.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

Who Cares? This is a Tennessee site, not an Alabuma Crimson Turd site

Nice way to show your class, fellow.

tfortennessee writes:

The real question should be "Will Saban be back?" Or will he be in Cleveland?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Translation: He's not projected to go very high in the draft.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Didn't realize this was in doubt. He has great numbers, but when you have dominant running game, unstoppable play-action attack, a stellar O Line and solid receivers, it makes things a lot easier on the QB (I know, an obvious observation). Even after another year in college, I don't really see him ever contributing to an NFL team beyond holding a clipboard.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

One thing about the Saban bolting for the NFL, etc. Don't know about that - however....

Saban is 61 years old - doesn't look it, but he is. Next month if Bama wins, he'll have 3 national championships -

Spurrier will be 68 by the time next season starts.

Richt has been at Georgia for 12 seasons now.

Miles is always one play away from being on the hot seat.

I guess my point is - there could be some changes in the league at any time, you never know who will decide it's time to retire, move on to something else, etc.

Tennessee is in a pretty good position with Jones in that he's young and out to prove himself - the other coaches listed above, they have already proven themselves and may look towards another challenge or retire - these things run in cycles.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

Who Cares? This is a Tennessee site, not an Alabuma Crimson Turd site

LIKE 1,000,000 times!

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Nice way to show your class, fellow.

This from a member of the Crimson TURD Nation, which is 99% classless, inbred, bandwagon, toothless scumbags!

Snapshot writes:

You mean he had an option? Where was he going to go? LOL

northfan writes:

in response to Vol86:

him vs bray who would you rather have? Good idea for a poll.

Ask the same question - Peyton or Brady . Rings talk stats walk. A J one Bray none and I would take Tom Brady over Peyton or any SEC QB of the past 15 years. College stats for a QB mean nothing at the next level or for a BCS ring.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

Spurrier will be 68 by the time next season starts.

Richt has been at Georgia for 12 seasons now.

Miles is always one play away from being on the hot seat.

Saban isn't going to the pros. He and Terry have said it over and over. This is nothing more than the media hyping a story. And, he is under contract through 2019 and plans on retiring at Alabama, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He loves the job he has and still has the fire to teach. He would go nuts sitting around.