Chaney joins Arkansas as offensive coordinator

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Former Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney will bring his high-flying aerial attack to Arkansas.

Chaney was hired to the same position by new Razorbacks coach Bret Bielema on Wednesday night, becoming Bielema's second assistant this week. Chris Ash was hired away from Wisconsin on Tuesday as Arkansas' defensive coordinator.

The former St. Louis Rams assistant spent the last four seasons with the Volunteers and was the team's interim head coach for their season finale this season following the firing of former coach Derek Dooley.

Tennessee was second in the Southeastern Conference in passing offense this season under Chaney, averaging 315.6 yards per game through the air. The Volunteers were second overall with an average of 475.9 yards of total offense per game.

"He knows the SEC, having coached at Tennessee, and is familiar with what it takes to be successful in this conference," Bielema said in a statement. "He is an upbeat and positive person who has proven at every stop he is an elite coach in our profession."

Chaney's reputation as a developer of the passing game will be a welcomed addition to an Arkansas fan base which had grown accustomed to being among the SEC's top passing teams under former coach Bobby Petrino. The Razorbacks led the conference in passing offense and points scored last season, but they fell to 12th in the league in points scored (23.5) this season following Petrino's firing in April.

His hiring also shows Bielema, who was known for a power running attack while guiding Wisconsin the last seven seasons, is serious about being committed to a balanced offensive attack.

"Jim Chaney's approach will blend well with my ideas as we work to put together a plan for the team we have and over time develop our specific philosophy," Bielema said.

The 50-year-old Chaney spent the most time in his career as the offensive coordinator at Purdue, where he guided New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees in college.

The Missouri native left the Boilermakers to join the Rams in 2006. He spent three seasons in St. Louis, during which running back Steven Jackson rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each.

While at Tennessee, Chaney helped develop quarterback Tyler Bray into one of the nation's best. Bray passed for 3,619 yards and 34 touchdowns this season, also setting a school single-game record with 530 yards passing.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Wish you well against everyone else but Tennessee. Thank you for what you did while in Knoxville

Prostar writes:

Will help reduce our overall "buyout" money. Sunseri will be a difficult one to place.

FWBVol writes:

in response to Prostar:

I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Chaney's buyout wasn't contigent on him getting another job and UT owed him the full amount no matter what.

Purple_at_Heart writes:

Good for Chaney. Great coach.

jt45 writes:

Well the Hogs should be fairly predictable now.
First Down= Pass
Second Down-=Pass
Third and inches=Hail Mary to the sideline.

Good luck Chaney.

volaholic45 writes:

Anyone else think that probably Arky comes out better than we do at this position?

Vol1973 writes:

Good luck coach - - thanks for your contributions at UT.

Go Vols !

CarlChilders writes:

Best wishes for the only undefeated coach in UT history.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to jt45:

Well the Hogs should be fairly predictable now.
First Down= Pass
Second Down-=Pass
Third and inches=Hail Mary to the sideline.

Good luck Chaney.

maybe you missed Tenn's stats under him. Go back and re-read.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to FWBVol:

You are correct. The two coordinators get paid regardless of future employment.

utbaby#215635 writes:

in response to Prostar:

You got that right!

utbaby#215635 writes:

I liked Chaney, but didn't think he wa an SEC OC. His hesitation to run held them back in several games and his offense never did well against good SEC defenses. I hope he does well at AK, but I don't fear him much when we play him. All we need to do is blitz and play press coverage.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say Chaneys offense wasnt the problem this year. Witch Doctor say he and his family really liked Knoxville Witch Doctor hear. Witch Doctor guess this answer the Hunter Patterson Bray questions.
Bones never lie.

volposter writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Yes, based on what we know now. Chaney's experience and dedication to UT will be hard to replace.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I think Arkansas made out better in all coaching positions
I was hoping to see Arkansas coaching staff at Tennessee in stead of the 1 we got now
but what do I know... we will see who comes out on top soon enough

traderjoe writes:

Whether you want Bray to leave or stay, I'm thinking Chaney's departure makes it more likely Bray will take his chances in the draft. Butch is a run guy primarily, I think, so Bray may be thinking he may not look any better after another year on the vine in a run oriented offense with who knows with whom as OC. Besides, that summertime chunking from the upper floor of his apartment is awfully tempting and he may be thinking he needs to remove himself from that risk. lol

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Pitman is going to Arkansas' offensive line too. Think they're trying to build something specific on offense, like UT's 2012 squad?

ACWLY writes:

Congratulations coach Chaney, Arkansas got a very good offensive coach.

jt45 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

maybe you missed Tenn's stats under him. Go back and re-read.

Ive been here watching his teams, I dont need stats to know how predictable he is. Any coach could have put up big numbers with all the weapons coach Chaney had. Maybe your forgetting all those short yardage calls he kept making inside the red zone that went bad. I cant count how many times the Vols were at 3rd and inches and he called a busted pass play. You might see it differently but never cared for his lack of balance in the offense. It was better this year but was still really bad in third down situations, and every team that made adjustments beat us to death on time of possesion. Simply put it was Pass,Pass,Pass,Punt. The defense was bad, but made even worse by our offensive scheme, wich scored fast or not at all. Yes they put up good numbers but at a huge cost.

I wish Chaney the best of luck but I hope the next OC has more than 2 pass plays and the wildcat in his toolbox.

Orangeblood13 writes:

Looks like a good hire , I hated his play calling but
Brent will run the ball and Chaney likes the pass
If anything interesting

BeaFanNotaFanatic writes:

I think Arkansas' offense just became much better than they were when they hired Biliema. If they figure out how to combine the Wisconsin rushing attack, with Chaney's arial show, the Hohs could be hard to stop! Unfortunately for them, defense will still be a problem.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to utbaby#215635:

AK is the two letter abbreviation for Alaska.

AR is the two letter abbreviation for Arkansas.

Walt

UT '81

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to jt45:

I don't see how anyone could be happy with what Chaney did at UT. Good riddance.

Walt

UT '81

Tennesseebob writes:

Good luck Coach!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Chaney was at least loyal to UT..Good luck at arky unless you're playing the Vols.

VolFanUSNavy writes:

I guess I am missing something. Chaney wasn't the worst coach we had but I wouldn't say he is responsible for our success. Take this year for example. We padded the stats on the chump teams. But in his offense, with one of the best OLs in America, Bray regressed, Hunter nearly disappeared, Rivera was spurious at best, and Patterson was worse at running routes at season's end than at the beginning. Without Jay Graham, the running game would have been as bad as last year. Without Rogers, we get beat in at least one more game, maybe 2. None of the other receivers seem to have progressed at all. All of those receivers that we were hearing about in the spring and summer must have transferred. They never showed up in any games.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Good possibility you're right. Especially when you consider we're losing Pittman too.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to VolFanUSNavy:

Good points all.

Walt

UT '81

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to jt45:

Well the Hogs should be fairly predictable now.
First Down= Pass
Second Down-=Pass
Third and inches=Hail Mary to the sideline.

Good luck Chaney.

Yeah I guess averaging almost 40 points a game was predictable too.. All you Chaney bashers are idiots and maybe you will see how important he was next year when the offense isn't nearly as good. So easy to be an armchair QB. His offense averaged over 450 YPG. WHAT ELSE CAN HE DO!!!! The defense couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and 80% of their problem was coaching and not talent. Wilcox seemed to do pretty good with basically the same unit. You will see how good Chaney is when we play arkansas nitwit.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to jt45:

JT,

I agree. Never...........never will I forget that 4th overtime with Missouri.

First play, the Vols got 7 down to the 18.
Then, the next 3 plays were all passes, all incomplete, and that's when thousands of fans got up and left. Game, set, and match.

Especially with the line we had this year, and backs, when given the opportunity did run better. 3 downs to get 3 yards and a first down, and we went pass happy. To me at least, that was the most crushing tale that was told with the team this season.

( That, and of course Missouri's touchdown pass on 4th and long in one of the O T's. )

Vols4life77 writes:

I'm still a little bitter and I'm a frustrated Vol fan. I will love the big orange no matter what but I think we could have kept some continuity on the offensive side where we were so effective last year. Losing Pittman is a blow IMO, he did a great job with the O-line and will be a huge asset to Arkansas. He was very good at Carolina too. Jones O-line coach hasn't done it in a proven league maybe I'm being a pessimist and we will see but I find it hard to believe he could be better than Pittman. Chaney and Pittman together will bring a very explosive offense to the razorbacks and we will see how ours will be.

volinlm writes:

Apparently Arkansas thinks his offensive coordinating was just fine. The Vol offense was not the problem in 2012. Defense, defense, defense. Chaney's offense, with the help of three particularly effective players and a really good offensive line, put up 30-something points on average including against Georgia, S. Carolina, and others. Normally, that should win many of those games. Chaney had good players, which were signed by Dooley, to help. Why can't we just give credit were credit is due, wish them all the best, and be on our way.

volinlm writes:

in response to Vols4life77:

I agree with your analysis, but you have to appreciate that Butch Jones is staying loyal to the coaches that helped him be successful over the years by bringing them with him to a big-time job opportunity. I can't argue with that. I just hope thay are all as successful here.

Hound_Dog69 writes:

Where were all the supporters of Chaney the last couple of years? Nobody had a good word to say about the man when he was here, now a lot of people are praising him, I don't get it! How many times did we watch the offense just give up halfway through a game under chaney? I wished they would have kept pittman, and I'm glad Grahm stayed, but the rest had to go. Only one stat matters and that is W-L against SEC teams, the fact that tenn has won 5 SEC games in the last 3 years and against the worse SEC teams, is why Chaney had to go!

BrassMonkey writes:

Happy for Chaney. Nice work here at UT. No telling what would have been if the head coach was not a joke.

volaholic45 writes:

in response to Vols4life77:

It's one thing for Jones to believe in his coaching staff, and going into the new job with a staff he knows he can work with has got to have some advantages, but the worry is that he's treating the new gig as a patronage opportunity, and just giving his buddies a big raise and a bigger stage.

No one thinks that Cincy's staff plus Jay Graham equals the best coaching staff in America - unless it's Jay Graham who makes all the difference. Heck, with Graham on the sideline, Derek Dooley's staff creamed Cincy and the almost best coaching staff in America.

It would have been a lot better if Coach Butch wouldn't have said that - he clearly never intended to scour the country and assemble an A-team. Gotta keep Graham for the orangeness, gotta make at least a plausible show of trying to get Tee, but those things aside it's half bear the other half cat.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Ut played Cinn in 2011 and Jay Graham was coaching Marcus Lattimore and company in S Carolina when Ut beat Cinn ( he was not helping Dooley at UT as stated). UT and Dooley didnt need Graham to beat Butch Jones who happened to have the best RB in that game Issah Pead.

pingkr62 writes:

Good luck and congratulations to Coach Chaney.

Pullingguard writes:

One has to believe that Chaney was impressed with Pittman and had influence of his being hired at Ark...When hired as O/C you prefer having some trusted and familiar people around you, therefore Pittman..

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Ok, this vaunted offense some hoot about this year and the 30 something avg points per game needs some perspective.

Three of the cupcakes had 3 of our highest scores: troy - 55 points; ga st -51; akron - 47. Then add in mo in 4OTs at 48 points and you see how that big avg is so misleading. The only quality opponent when we topped 40 was uga. And when we played ua, uf and the commodes we were at 20 or less.

So let's not get too carried away with running up scores on the likes of akron and ga state that causes the averages in points and many other offensive stats to be deceiving.

5-7, no wins against ranked or quality opponents, that is real stat. Agree, the defense was the primary reason, but when we played quality teams, we were not averaging nearly 40 points, unfortunately the opposing teams were.

Best wishes to the Coach, we'll be OK in Knoxville.

pcorange writes:

The really big hire Arky made was Pittman. That guy's the real deal. I have a feeling CBJ will end up regretting letting him go.

Pompey writes:

....clearly UT's offense was not the problem...

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

maybe you missed Tenn's stats under him. Go back and re-read.

1-7 in the SEC is the only stat that matters.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

AK is the two letter abbreviation for Alaska.

AR is the two letter abbreviation for Arkansas.

Walt

UT '81

High horseman,

Two letter abbreviation = USPS postal abbreviation

JC

UT '99

SummerfieldVol writes:

Good: I am glad he was hired at a top school. I wish him well.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Good thing happening to a good guy who did a whole lot for Tennessee while he was here in all kinds of adverse situations. I didn't think he was as predictable as others have said (nor do I have a problem with predictablility when it works; under Majors, when the Vols got in the Orange zone, they rarely passed, for instance, and that worked quite a bit).

I'll cheer Coach Chaney when Ark. isn't playing UT or adversely affecting Vol fortunes.

Nighthawk writes:

in response to jt45:

Let's get real here, Chaney was not the reason we lost those games. There were enough points scored in every game except 2 to win. Truth be told, Dooley and his bad time out decisions may have contributed to the MO loss, but it was the lack of defense in the second half that really lost the game.

Chaney overall did his job at UT, nobody is perfect and you can cherry pick on bad offensive plays all day long, but a very bad defense was the achielles heal of this team.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

AK is the two letter abbreviation for Alaska.

AR is the two letter abbreviation for Arkansas.

Walt

UT '81

and DA is the two letter abbreviation for what you are....

laraccoon writes:

i bet all these people tooting Chaney's horn wouldnt have gave a darn after the 2011 season if he hadnt been retained with the offensive debacle that he never could seem to fix .

CoverOrange writes:

in response to VolFanUSNavy:

Georgia, Miss St, and SC were chump teams?