ESPN's Ivan Maisel: UT's academic side uses 'athletic department as an ATM'

Butch Jones, left, newly-named football coach for the University of Tennessee, holds a helmet with athletic director Dave Hart during a news conference, Friday, Dec. 7, 2012, in Knoxville, Tenn. Jones replaced Derek Dooley after a 19-day coaching search. (AP Photo/Chattanooga Times Free Press, Patrick Smith) THE DAILY CITIZEN OUT; NOOGA.COM OUT; CLEVELAND DAILY BANNER OUT; LOCAL INTERNET OUT

Do you believe Butch Jones is the right choice to be UT's coach?

See the results »

View previous polls »

ESPN's Ivan Masiel offered his take on Tennessee's hiring of Butch Jones and what he sees as a big difference between the Vols and the rest of the SEC in terms of having a level playing field.

In his "3-Point-Stance" blog, Maisel said that UT athletic director Dave Hart sees Jones as someone that can help the academic side at Tennessee understand where the athletic side stands in relation to its SEC competition.

"The university administration has used the athletic department as an ATM, saddling it with financial responsibilities that the Vols’ SEC competitors don’t have," wrote Maisel. "Hart wanted his new coach to be able - and willing - to explain how that financial burden translates onto the field. "

You can read Maisel's blog in its entirety by clicking here.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

tennrich1 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

I think you kinda missed the point on this article....Academics arent "bad" in the way you used it...it will turn out for the good of the athletic department if we just do what everyone else does....and I believe you will see that soon....

tvol328 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Your the type of fan than when Tennessee starts winning again, you will have on ORANGE - Go away and find another board to run that hole under your nose!

Vandy's success is just a flash in the pan - lol

mlynn1 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

This clown is not a Tennessee fan, he is a alabama fan that is eat up with posting and following Tennessee on a Tennessee site, anything he can do to stir something up.

albert63 writes:

in response to mlynn1:

It is great to be a Florida Gator.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least someone has come out on the national scene and mentioned what is one of the underlying issues affecting the football program (which has affected hiring of coaches AND recruiting top notch players).

I don't claim to know things about this, but this is a big issue that needs to be explored and written about in the media. Maybe someone already did and I missed it but I don't think so.

I am happy with Butch Jones, I like him, and I think he has what it takes. IF he succeeds, he will have done so with what appears to be obstacles to the football program/athletic dept. that other school don't have.

I don't understand the fine details of what Maisel wrote about, but these issues surfaced just about the time Dooley was fired, when the Borad of Trustees met.

The issue needs EXPOSURE, and the fans need to put PRESSURE on the administration for some clear answers that we can understand. I'm all for athletes being held to academic standards, BUT if there are unrealistic expectations being placed on athletics by Jimmy Cheek (and obviously there are others there who have his back), the question becomes, "why?".

I've heard J Cheek wants UT to become a "research university". If I'm speaking out of ignorance please forgive me. I don't understand the fine print here, but my suspicion is that Cheek wants to take the school in this direction to receive funding.
(Here's an article I pulled up on Google: http://education.stateuniversity.com/...)

The more I hear the more something stinks within the administration.

I only took the time to write this so hopefully us, the fans will begin to ask more questions about what this stuff means so we can have a clearer understanding AND if someone is trying to push something across that could be detrimental to the athletic program, more people need to know. I'm not advocating athletics above academics, but surely they can exist without what seems to me a clear disadvantage to the AD at UT.

tennezz writes:

in response to albert63:

It is great to be a Florida Gator.

I am sure it is with all the scales, slime, leaches and algae!

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to tvol328:

Vandy's success is just a flash in the pan - lol

DC3 is a known Gator Fan and TROLL.

born2ride writes:

Where is the $18 million dollars the Athletic Department is not contributing to Academic Scholarships? Is it being used pay the buy outs of fired coaches?

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

There's no reason to read the entire blog. The only part that mentions UT is posted here on this page from GVX.

usafvol writes:

in response to albert63:

It is great to be a Florida Gator.

If it's so great why are you here? Are all gator fans trolls like you? I guess all gator fans can't be that bad but haven't met any with class so far..

pcshowtime writes:

This does not surprise me there is problems on the hill higher up than the football coach. Until these problems are addressed we will see "yes men" hired who hire more "yes men" under them. Please do not take this as anything against butch jones it is not. However, the truth is the truth.

BigToe18 writes:

You want more money START WINNING GAMES!!! We will find out how good BUTCH JONES is when we see what and how he recuits players. He said already he wants the best of the best,the smartest players and that sounds good to me. i for one like what he brings to the table. he has experience and seems to have the passion. Watch how he recuits that,ll tell alot..

arkyvol writes:

good gawd! already there are posts to the effect that aha! i knew it--those pointy headed perfessers and their eevolution and john maynard canes, and, well, you know, they're messing up our precious football team. the gaping primates of the misty cumberlands flocking in their overfilled orange vestments to neyland cathedral want things to be restored to where they should be. never mind that the sec now has four aau members (all of whom are playing better football) and that nemesises like bama and georgia may add that accolade in the near future. we must'nt tolerate any infringement on the natural order of things.

NashvillePreds writes:

Go away Jimmy Cheek. Go away.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I wonder how come Adams hasn't written about this. I notice that Adams says very little about UT that isn't already known to the masses. I have come to doubt whether he has any inside sources at UT athletics who trust him and therefore he doesn't know much of the inside story. Have you noticed that there is very little of the kind of information that requires reporters to dig a lot and have inside sources coming out of KNS.

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

The more I hear the more something stinks within the administration.

I would like to try to address some of the points you raised. For one thing, UT athletics has been far more generous in giving to the academic side than other schools mainly because, at least until recently, it was one of the few big-time programs that operated in the black out of its own funding. It had funds to spare for such purposes when other programs did not. Given the currently less-favorable balance between expenses--including a highly unusual outlay for coach buyouts--and declining revenues because of the weak economy and weak performance on the field, the UTAD found it necessary to temporarily suspend its gifts to the academic side.

Most people who don't follow higher education on a regular basis may not realize that state funding for public colleges and universities has been declining for decades. I heard a report on the University of Virginia that stated that state funding made up only about 10% of the school's operating expenses. I don't know exactly what the comparable figure would be for UT, but this is happening all over the country. The idea of turning UT into a "research university" is indeed tied directly to the school's need to make up the shortfall in public funding, as are the huge increases in tuition and fees for students.

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Weird, huh?

BluezVol writes:

Florida fans - if you all could count votes like you run the QB read-option, all of America would appreciate it.

bigorangejungle writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

That's the funniest d@mn thing I've heard in a while. True too.

TKG_VOL writes:

Need to take a lot of these dollars and put into the recruiting budget. We have to recruit nationally and that takes $$$$$. We need to hire the best available recruiters also. This is the first step to getting UT back in the topm of the SEC race.

chaos001 writes:

The blog post is so vague that it borders on useless. Why write something without in-depth analysis other than for shock value?

85sugar writes:

Cheek's war on Athletics has to be stoped.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

The more I hear the more something stinks within the administration.

You did read the article correct? It doesn't say the students are being held to higher academics, it's pointing out that the academic dept. is using the athletic department as an ATM for other purposes not sports department related.

This whole theory in peoples heads that somehow UT is becoming the Harvard of the south is asinine.

For those that don't know, and the talking heads don't seem to know because they never bring it up, there is new NCAA guidelines that effect all Division 1 schools and hold them accountable for graduation rates. Its called APR, and there are sanctions involved if your team falls below the 925 rating score. It can cause your team to be banned from conference post season tournaments, bowl games and possibly even reduce scholarships available.

The APR measures how scholarship student-athletes are performing term by term throughout the school year. It is a composite team measurement based upon how individual team members do academically. Teams that don’t make the 925 APR threshold are subject to sanctions. The NCAA works closely with the schools that do not meet the threshold in order to improve them. When a school has APR challenges, it may be encouraged or even required to present an academic improvement plan to the NCAA. In reviewing these plans, the national office staff encourages schools to work with other campus units to achieve a positive outcome. The staff also works with APR-challenged schools to create reasonable timelines for improvement.[5] While eligibility requirements make the individual student-athlete accountable, the Academic Progress Rate creates a level of responsibility for the university.

It seems to me some people are getting this rule mixed up and think it's only being put in effect at UT but UCONN men basketball have already been hit with sanctions over this issue. So it's not new and everyone has to abide by the standard.

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic...

TheStupidPolice writes:

One paragraph? That's all we get? KNS, how about writing a full article related to the premise.

Colliervol writes:

Another positive take on the hiring of Butch Jones:

Robert Smith of ESPN's "College Football Live" called Tennessee's hiring of Butch Jones the best in college football in the 2012 offseason. Here's what Smith had to say on the show on Tuesday.

"My top hire this offseason is Butch Jones at Tennessee. From the bottom up, he's really going to be helpful at Tennessee, a school that hasn't seen any type of stability over the last five years. I think they made the right choice in Butch Jones. I had an opportunity to sit down with him when he was at Central Michigan and when he was at Cincinnati. He knows how to build from the foundation of a program. Everything from the way a kid goes to class, to the way they carry themselves, to the pride they have in their school. It's not like Tennessee hasn't had a dearth of talent. They just haven't had the right people to get the talent doing the things they are supposed to do. I think Butch Jones is going to do a great job with that. Obviously, playing the SEC, it's difficult to jump in and make a change right away. I think it's going to take a couple of years, but I think he's the type of guy that will get that place turned around. He's the right person to get Tennessee going the right way."

I think I'll take the opinion of someone who has actually played the game at a big time school over some of the basement dwellers on here. Or as in the case of the Florida trolls--- their trailers. You know, the ones where the closest they've been to a football is their Madden video game.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

For those trolls that like to pick on UT, think about this. 2 coaches quit on Florida. Steve Spurrier quit, and said the fans suck, well basically he said they are too unrealistic, translation they suck. That's why he quit, that would make me feel all warm and fuzzy. So they go out and hire Urban Myer, he comes in stays a few years and he too quits. He says it's health but wouldn't you know 2 years later he's at Ohio State going undefeated. WOW! 2 coaches take your school to the top and quit.

What is so wrong in Florida? Why do all these great coaches quit and go to other schools? I would be so embarrassed!

Lets not even get into how many coaches it took Alabama to hire and fire before they ended up lucky with Saban. I'll just say Mike Price and leave it alone.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

BlueHarley writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Another positive take on the hiring of Butch Jones:

Thanx for the info .... encouraging stuff.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

The more I hear the more something stinks within the administration.

First Masil is an idiot. That's why he is a sportswriter.
1. UTAD has been giving back money to academics since Dickey. UTAD is also one of about 12 AD in the country that makes money. This is about Hart wetting himself over the low reserve. It needs to be fixed and he is now off the hook for the next three years. Fix football and the money will come back. You lost 10,000 fans per game this year for the home games. Multiply 10000 times $100 for seat and food times six or seven home games. Walla , the reserve gets better. And that doesn't count all the other monies a winning program has.
2.Find someone to name you one athlete in the past ten years who was refused admittance to UT and went on to play for another SEC team.
JUCO rules are tougher here but Dooley brought in at least six including Cordelle "No Classes" Patterson. So it hasn't hurt much if at all.
As other posters sometimes say here. "Nothing to see, move along"

tulelakevol writes:

Will someone please tell me more about no classes Patterson not going to class?

voloffaith writes:

in response to mlynn1:

Actually he is a chomper fan.................

tulelakevol writes:

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Wow, ESPN actually took the time to investigate academic spending?? This sounds a lot like that Jeremy Shcapp induced inquiry trying to link UT to NCAA violations..Did anyone see ESPN reporters hiding in the bushes ready to ambush Cheek before he made his way to the Admin bldg ??

creekroad writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Adams has NO access to the Tennessee Athletic Dept.....it's the main reason he is so bitter.....he is not "after" any coach in particular, but the University as a whole.......thats why he is the FORMER sports editor...like in used to be, not any more, demoted....and very ticked off....right John?

volvann writes:

Teach someone to fish and they are set for life, give someone a fish and they turn mean when you do not give them another fish. Entitlements in all forms do not work.... Proven in every aspect of life...

GloryDays writes:

Exactly right Jimmy Cheek has stolen money from the athletic department, mainly from the football program. He gives it to these fat cat professors who sit around and teach 3 classes a week and spend the rest of the time bashing God and the US government. Then Cheek puts rules and regulations on the football team and this is the main reason the football team has gone down hill. Classic liberalism, take from the producers and give to the non achievers or non producers.

voldoll73 writes:

Call me a prude or whatever; I can't understand the "from around the web" section. What do sites "can't help but stare" and "hottest twitter photos" have to do with sports? Where can you go to escape such garbage? Evidently not govolsxtra! I know, you don't have to click on them (which I have not) but it just doesn't fit here. What do the women on here think about the "cheesecake" involved? Yea, nay, doesn't matter.

tanasi2 writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

The more I hear the more something stinks within the administration.

A research University means that Cheek plans to make it a priority for UTK to work to secure research grants at the expense of education. Students will rarely see a professor in the classroom, but will be taught by grad students (probably from China) instead. What this means is if YOU want your kids to get a good undergrad education, send them to a "teaching" university like TTU or MTSU!!!

dvols writes:

well shux....I thought my $2.25 was geting me a hot-dog....

nocleats writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Agreed , but in my opinion, Dr Cheek has no real intentions of making these changes. Pressure has to keep being applied by fans, alumni, journalist such as this, and the Govenor. If enough static is raised about it, the changes can be made overnight, but Cheek has to be made to do it or he needs to be removed. My belief is he does not want to. Tennessee should have the same requirements as their SEC competition,no less no more. Pressure on Cheek!

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Well said! Liberalism is a mental disorder. Anyone see that limp wristed Cheek enjoying his own booger? Check it out on youtube. I always knew he was a booger eating lefty.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

I can think of worse things to spend athletic funds on..Good grief, remember it's a university first and foremost. JC did pull funds from the academic budget to pay off CDD and his staff. Obama pulls funds from the working class and gives it to people that don't work..Big difference

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Just win and this will take care of itself.

Period.

Ennui....

FWBVol writes:

in response to TKG_VOL:

Tennesssee already has the largest recruiting budget in the country. Butch Jones and his staff will have more than a large enough budget to get to any recruit in the USA or Canada they won't to visit.

The recruiting budget has never been an issue for UT coaches, but rather the players that have come and gone without contributing in recent years.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to GloryDays:

You are totally wrong of course.

I recently got a newsletter from the UT History Department. I was glad to see that Drs. Klein, Utley and Pinckney have funds set up in their names to help fund History Dept. projects. They were all pretty awesome.

But the head of the department said also that due to limited funding, it was very difficult to attract good doctoral candidates -- UT can pay them about half what they earn at other institutions.

UT, as far as I know, has always been at the low end of the scale in the SEC in actually compensating the academic staff; that's been true since Dr. Marius left for Harvard in 1978.

Walt

UT '81

RealisticVol writes:

For all those myopic idiot college football haters that complain about the money wasted on the football program, UT is one of only a couple of schools that get any money FROM their football programs for education. Football also carries all the other sports except, maybe, basketball. It requires winning to do that and that requires a GREAT COACH, which requires a competitive pay scale. The unfortunate aspect of free speech is that you get a lot of ignorant biased people that gripe about things that they have been to lazy to research.

ellerbee123 writes:

Cheek has got to be fired before he further ruins our program. He is costing us players. Someone that knows how please set up a firecheek.com website so we can get him out of here.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to volvann:

That's totally ridiculous, mean, and hateful.

You can't show that empirically. You can only parrot what you hear on FOX News.

Further:

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.” - Stephen Colbert

Walt

UT '81

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to RealisticVol:

"If you build your stadium into a 'Taj Mahal on the Holston', THAT will bring in people too!" --- Little Mikey Hamilton

Walt