Mel Kiper recommends another year for Tyler Bray

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray throws downfield in the first quarter against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012. The junior threw for 293 yards and had four touchdown passes on the day. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE -- Tyler Bray's junior season of college football included a lot of ups and at least as many downs.

Should the Tennessee quarterback forgo his senior year with the Volunteers in favor of an early entry into April's NFL draft, where he lands could depend on which direction a pro team chooses to lean toward.

Once mentioned among the mix of the upper echelon of draft-eligible quarterbacks for the 2013 class, Bray has had his stock slide. His physical skills put a floor on his projection, however.

"I would say right now another year at Tennessee would benefit him," ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper said Tuesday during a conference call. "If he comes out, you're probably looking at maybe a second-, third-round pick potentially, but if he goes back, he's a guy you would think could be in the first-round discussion [next year]. I'd project him more right now to be a third-rounder.

"I would say definitely go back to Tennessee and improve on the areas I talked about and try to maximize your rating."

Continue reading at the Times Free Press

StoneJackBaller writes:

If he comes back, I hope he can be a better leader. Stop with the head hanging and negative body language when things go wrong. Sometimes I think he is a catalyst for bad things. We might be better off without him.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

I think we'd be better off with Worley - Bray is a slinger, not a passer. He's a 'stats' quarterback.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Bray has folks whispering in his ear to go pro. Kiper is being kind saying "another year at TN would benefit him." Bray needs to grow up in addition to working on his football skills. His little behavioral issues on and off the field might get a pass if he was the #1 selection, but a maybe 3d rounder? He will get killed at the next level and never be heard from.

UT may be better with him taking what he can get and moving on though. But I'll bet if he stays the new HC with a flat top will not put up with his punky spoiled brat antics.

monstermd writes:

For me personally, at this point I'm just ready for the dust to settle to see what we have going into spring training and what recruits we have coming in the fall. Sometimes getting a fresh start means not only purging coaches, but players. I only want those players next year who want to play for the University of Tenn. Not improve their draft stock.

Orangeblood64 writes:

in response to monstermd:

You said it. so many seem to either trying to improve there stats then playing as a TEAM. while others don't try to hard because there worried about injuries

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

HopeIsNotA . . . is exactly correct! Bray does have the physical tools to be an NFL QB, he is lacking the mental maturity to be successful at the next level. In my humble opinion, he barely has the required maturity to be moderatly successful on the D-I level.

Lastly, Bray is NOT a leader . . . you can see this by the way he carries himself on and off of the field. Look at the golf ball and beer bottle throwing incident and then the jet ski thing . . . Bray could become known as Tennessee's most talented QB, since Manning, only to blow it because he's inmature!

Worley I think has the tools and mindset to be very successful on Shields-Watkins Field . . .

GO VOLS!!!

volinlm writes:

Bray has excellent skills. If the Vols had had a better defense in 2012, the pressure to score 40+ points to win each game would not have been there. I agree with the maturity comments. At his age we all could have used another year in life.

Smokey91 writes:

If the Vols had a better defense, Bray might have been in the part of the Heisman discussions. His stats are up there with the best. He had a couple bad games with Vandy and Bama but he also put up some monster numbers in the other games. I think he should come back and think the new coach will do wonders with him.

laraccoon writes:

i hope he stays , if these coaches turn out to be decent Bray could put up some monster numbers and really open up a running game especially with an offensive coordinator with a little imagination .

tennrich1 writes:

There were several times during this last season were we had third down and 6-8 yards for a first down but we chose to sling it down field on a very low % type play usually down the sideline on an out pattern...I just wish we could get back to controlled style football going for higher % plays in crucial situations...I think with a QB like Bray and wideouts like we had its just too much of a temptation to hit the long ball when we really needed a first down..(I understand there are times you DO throw it long in those situations)....So if we go with Worley or even Peterman I think our offense would be "under control" more....Just my thoughts on Tyler leaving early...Is he ready for the next level? OF COURSE NOT...but if he goes or stays I'll be fine either way!!!!

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

I hope he returns.Offense is ok need lots of defensive help.

FanNotSheep writes:

Bray has more talent than any UT QB other than Manning. It's hard to say he would benefit under a new coach, especially if he loses his receivers. I think more highly of Bray as a person than most of the people who post on this site, but he has a different sense of humor that people around here don't get.

I'd like to see what Worley could do and it seems like he is being wasted if Bray comes back. So for all concerned maybe Bray should go and try to be like Brady and keep a chip on his shoulder as he outperforms other guys who will be drafted ahead of him.

My guess is that many UT fans will be surprised one day at how successful this young man will become on Sundays.

traderjoe writes:

1st...lol

Move to a ground floor chances if you stick around Tyler...your chances of a good draft will improve if your not chucking from the upper floors

adamsmith5529#630125 writes:

Worley will never start at qb, Nathan Peterman will be our starter next year. he proved that last year in the spring. kids going to be a star, and fits our new coach's offense perfectly.

ball1523 writes:

i'd rather him go pro and hopefully we get asanti woulard and lets just go with a freshman qb that can make plays with his legs and his arm. remember last time we had a qb like that we beat florida. (brent Schaifer) go vols

MikeInTN writes:

Not saying he won't be successful in the NFL, but he needs to go. Leadership, attitude, and character is lacking, and the new coach certainly doesn't need that in his QB. JMO...GO VOLS!!!

chipmurphy461 writes:

Obviously Bray needs another year. He still needs to mature as a player and a person. Hunter needs another year too, there are plenty of athletic wide receivers who cannot catch passes consistently working as a graduate assistant at some school, because they left early. Patterson is the only one of the three that I could see long term NFL success for if he leaves now. That being said Patterson could benefit from staying another year as well. Work on running cleaner routes, put up big numbers, and ultimately be an unquestionable first round draft pick. Career longevity vs quick money...make the right decision gentleman. At least talk to Scotty Hopson.

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Don't count Peterman out if Bray goes pro. From what I understand he was really pushing for the backup position in the spring and Butch Jones recruited him hard for his system in Cincy. I haven't seen him play, but I hear he is the right fit for Jones' offense.

underthehill writes:

I think Jones has indicated he wants a qb who can also run..the question may be ..could he be the starter for Jones..then where would his draft status be if he stays..don't know is he is smart enough to even consider this..but he should..

dragon18 writes:

Tyler Bray is not a "slinger" as others have posted or alluded to. This Kid can flat throw the ball to some pretty tight spots and can make things happen. He is as gifted physically as any quarterback I have seen at UT. Including Peyton. Now, I think Tyler is not a great competitor, and he could use some help with the mental part of the game and definitely with his leadership skills. Those can be coached and I feel pretty certain based on what I've heard that we now have a coach that can teach him how to win. Anybody that says they would rather have Worley playing instead of a coached up Tyler Bray honestly doesn't know what they are looking at. Tyler Bray will be the 2nd best quarterback in the SEC and probably the second best in the Nation if he comes back next year (I'm sorry, but the Manzeil kid at Texas AM is a very special player and Tyler will be behind him). I hope Bray comes back and one of the two others and UT will have a great offense AGAIN next year.
GBO!!!!!!!!!

peppo writes:

Bray's friends and associates in Knoxville say he is gone. He is leaving after his last exam, heading to LA to begin working out for the draft.

SignalMtnVol writes:

Either way, good luck to you Tyler.

volswinsome writes:

in response to monstermd:

Amen. Losing is infectious and we only need players with the right attitude that WANT to play for UT. We don't need Kelly Washington attitudes or Jamal Lewis types coming back for 1 more year for "me & my stock". A fish rots from the head down. If his heart isn't in it, it's better for everyone just to go.

Same with JH & CP, although both would benefit greatly in both experience and $$$ if they'd stay, we'll survive.

If you 3 want to go back for the sake of being a part of the betterment of UT and the underclassman that look up to you, come on back and let's see if we can't upset somebody next year. Glad to have you. Otherwise, congrats on your NFL gig. All the best.

albert63 writes:

Gators hope he stays.

dannasman writes:

Bray has an unbelievable arm and is full of talent and potential but he is simply too immature & arrogant to be a true leader on this team. I would much rather have a confident but humble Worley step in and move this team forward!

FanNotSheep writes:

By the way, as painful as the past three seasons have been, can you imagine what it would have been like without Bray? It's hard to lose games 52-45 but it sure beats 52-0.

Having the chance to watch Tyler, Justin and CP was a pleasure in 2012 -- even though it's hard to not think what might have been if Wilcox had stayed. Looking back, 9 wins would have been very likely, Georgia would not have played in the SEC Championship Game, and we would all be talking about the Vols chances in the upcoming bowl game.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I hope he comes back with all the others too. Our new coach will need them all to get off on the right foot. I also hope coach brings in some new talent. Ya gotta hope. Especially on defense. Are we gonna keep the 3-4?

I'm a little bit excited about the new coach but a little reserved on how the first year will be. There's always hope the first year will be productive or even great.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to dannasman:

If you know Bray personally then I defer to your opinion, but I've talksed to two guys who played with him and they say he is a good guy who just has a really dry sense of humor -- and to them it's obvious that local media types are too old to get it. Plus it's no fun when you are the QB of a team that is losing, you get no help from your defense and your coach is more concerned with trying to save his job than anything else.

Now Tyler did do some stupid things but when I think back to some of the smooth moves I made when I was 19 or 20, I realize those things don't make him a bad guy. And boy, UT has had some real bad guys that didn't get all the hatred because they were on winning teams.

VolzsFan writes:

Brey does not have the IT factor. Send him to UTC.

ccantrell#227456 writes:

Time to turn the page. His tenure has been a legacy of LOSING.. Not a Leader.. Move on and good luck to you in the future. I just hope it's no longer in ORANGE..

YORVOL writes:

Maturity wise I hope stays, Butch Jones would be good for him to mold him a bit. Bray does not get the compliments he deserves because of his arrogance and his tantrums. That would all stop. Pure talent he could be the best. Wait it out a year and watch your draft projection go up. Either way good luck.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I think a coach like Butch Jones can instill the discipline that Bray needs so badly. Otherwise, he might go the way of other highly skilled quarterbacks that were neither disciplined nor mature enough for the NFL (e.g., Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, etc.).

madrigal writes:

Tyler needs to stay at UT for another year to GROW UP. His attitude needs some definite refining. he acted very immature on the sidelines, especially in the Vandy game.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

From what I gather this coach likes the 4-3 but says he will use offensive and defensive schemes that fit his personnel.

I think a lot depends on who comes back. You have a solid, experienced offensive line but don't know who will throw or catch. Defense can't be as bad next year, but the schedule is just brutal and you can see why bigger name coaches with other options declined the Vols' offer.

Hated that Tee Martin chose to stay at USC -- he is a great recruiter and great person -- but not surprised. Tennessee would probably have to offer a promotion for that move to make sense.

Tee is a good family man and you have to put your family first. Not to mention he is coaching the best wide receiver in the country, and that UT may not have any experienced receivers coming back next year.

clvolfan writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

I agree,Worley will have 2 years and Peterman can learn under him.Worley has paid his dues so I think,like others,let's get a new start.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Brey does not have the IT factor. Send him to UTC.

Can we all have some of what you're smoking?

The next team Bray plays on will be paying him for his services. And I am willing to bet he succeeds in the NFL.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to ccantrell#227456:

He didn't lose many games. The no-defense lost numerous games. The "legacy of losing" belongs to our lack of defense.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

This is the Vol's QB & this is how he's treated. Kinda reminds me of the deal with Crompton. Not playing all that good, fans calling for the back up & calling Jon all kinds of names & wanting him rode out of town on a rail. Kiff suck with him, he gets some decent coaching his senior year & turns into a decent QB.
Same thing with Foster his senior year, gave him heII, how did he turn out?
Maybe a year with the right kind of coaching, Tyler might win a big game or two & be a first rounder. Who knows.
These players & recruits do read these boards or their friends do & tell them what some of you "fans" say about them. You wonder why UT can't get players, good grief.

rtrchatt writes:

Alabama tops Academic BCS for SEC. Funny how that off the field/on the field thing works. Imagine CP is helping the Vol academic numbers..... Bring Slash to Alabama in 2013 and he can go out 0-4. 7 in a row in 2013

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

So does Gator Nation!

Lizardgrad89 writes:

Tyler is going to go pro. If he comes back, he will have to learn a new scheme, run the ball, and figure out who to throw to with his two NFL WR's gone. There is no way his stats will be as good, he was in a pass-happy system this year with excellent WR's.

I feel bad for UT next year. You had a defense in transition from the 4-3 to the 3-4, now you will transition back. Your defensive players are going to be terribly confused. You had a pro-style offense with an Oline that is great at pass-blocking but average at run blocking, and you are going to ask them to run block in the spread. New systems, new QB, no real passing game, teams are going to load the box and shut you down. Your defense is going to struggle at least as bad as this year. Next year is going to be UGLY. I can see UT going 4-8 or worse. I can see scenarios that lead to Austin Peay being your only win.

Now, if your coach is committed to a running QB spread offense, you might be advised to look at your young WR's and RB's and see if any of them are converted QB's from high school. You might have some success in the single wing. At least getting a few first downs here and there would take pressure off the defense.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

TB might be alright after he realizes CBJ's doesn't owe him squat..It's his way or the highway...GBO!!

jimr07 writes:

Keep in mind Mel Kiper had Ryan Leaf picked over Peyton Manning.. also said Russell Wilson was a reach in the third round.. remember.. he never played or coached... i never understood how he was considered to be an "expert."

jimr07 writes:

Having said that... i agree . Bray would be better off staying another year.

GBOEngineer writes:

Bray can look forward to an Erik Ainge-like NFL career.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

I hope Bray goes. He's never won a big game. Plus he can't check down, read defenses all that well, and throw the 2 yard pass for a first down. Tries to hit too many homeruns. Plus Bray doesn't fit Jones' system as well as our other two QBs.

jimr07 writes:

in response to albert63:

Gators hope he stays.

Yes.. i would hope he would not wind up like all the other gator quarterbacks.. i am trying to think of one that ever did anything in the NFL... just cannot think of one..

hikerdude writes:

I doubt that Coach Jones will put up with Bray's antics. Unless he grows up in a hurry, he may not even start.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

I don't see Florida doing much either. Defense will be gone, no receivers, no running back. UT will definitely have its issues, but don't think for a second that Florida has any chance at winning the SEC.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to jimr07:

I lot of folks wonder what makes Mel Kiper Jr. the expert. I don't remember who it was, but one NFL coach when asked about something Mel Kiper said responded "Who?" Kinda says it all.