Q&A with Tennessee AD Dave Hart: Butch Jones brings right attitude, but no 'magic wand'

University of Tennessee athletics director Dave Hart introduces new head football coach Butch Jones during a press conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

In the middle of an interview Thursday at his office, Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart turned and pointed to a mural stripped across the wall above his desk.

The poster boasted of "COMPREHENSIVE EXCELLENCE" and it included UT athletes of every stripe — not just football.

"That," Hart said while jabbing toward his wall, "becomes easier when football is successful."

Rebuilding the football program is both the most critical and most challenging task of Hart's tenure.

Many of Tennessee's hopes and aspirations for returning to the elite place in college football it regularly occupied a decade ago rest on the shoulders of new coach Butch Jones, who was hired last week from Cincinnati to replace Derek Dooley.

But Jones can't be expected to do it alone, Hart said.

"We've had a tough run. We've had five or six years now what people would define in terms of production as pretty mediocre," Hart said. "That's not who we are, that's not what we want, and we're working very hard to come out of that.

"We're not there yet. Butch didn't bring a magic wand, and nobody else would have either, but he has a great plan. He knows what he wants and how to work that plan."

Some excerpts from the News Sentinel's talk with Hart.

Q: What has Butch's first week been like? Do you speak to him regularly to help him learn the ropes at UT?

A: Yeah, we talk a lot, even by phone, because he's been on the road. In terms of my mode of operation, coaches know that they have total access to me as a priority. I saw him (Thursday) morning when he got back off the road.

There are a lot of transitional issues that we're trying to nail down, as he completes his staff and he goes out recruiting. We're trying to give him all the insulation we can administratively and help him wherever he needs it.

Butch is a real genuine person, which you'll learn. He wants to be accessible, to the extent a football coach's time will permit that. He's very into social media. He wants people to know him, he wants to know people. He wants to get to know the high school coaches, he wants to get to know the lettermen.

The guy is a great multitasker — not that all coaches don't have to have a semblance of that trait. But he's got a terrific work ethic and he can keep a lot of balls in the air, a lot of priorities, at the same time.

Q: Some have said this hire is so important it could determine your legacy at UT. Is that going too far?

A: It is important. I don't know about legacy, but I think this: My No. 1 priority is to get football healthy. I've never wavered from that. The reason that's a top priority, beyond the obvious, is that football is the economic engine. But it's more than that. What happens at Neyland Stadium affects everybody. It affects everybody on our campus, it affects people in our local market, if affects people in Tennessee and alumni everywhere. It's the center of our collective pride nerve. If we're running a clean, successful program, everybody benefits. Everybody. Monday mornings are better. People's dispositions are better. People work together better. It's not an exaggeration.

But you can't put it all on the coach. We have an obligation administratively to build the foundation. The football coach, he's got a lot to focus on. We need to be building the supportive infrastructure. We need to identify where we're weak and turn it into strengths. We can't allow the Football Training Center, which is fabulous, to skew the reality that there are a lot of other things we need to put into place. Some of that is facilities — our outdoor practice footprint, being one, a residence hall being another one.

I've been blessed. I've been at a couple of places (Florida State and Alabama) where we reached that pinnacle of success. People who excel, they have support from the top of pyramid all the way down.

We know our role within the university structure. We're not the most important thing at this university — never will be, never should be. What we are is the most visible element within the university structure. The football coach, whether we like it or not, and whether he likes it or not, is the face not only of the athletic program, he's the face of the university.

I know the fans are looking at success on the field, and I get that, but it really transcends that. That person becomes the face of the university. He has to operate with integrity. He has to understand the university's goals. He has to see the bigger picture. He has to forge meaningful relationships with people internally and externally.

Now coaches all know at the end of the day, it comes down to results on the field. We could have resurrected Vince Lombardi, and he would had to win on the field. But that's not to say that those other prongs aren't essential, because they are. I think Butch Jones possesses all the skills that are needed in a very complex job description with a lot of stakeholders.

Q: Are you pleased with the staff he has assembled to this point?

A: I think he has struck a good balance with his staff. You need continuity, you need people who you trust and people who know how you operate and what your expectations are. And he's got that in the people who are coming from him in his previous positions. He's won everywhere he's been.

Another thing I look for is who has a coach learned from? Who are his mentors? He's got a great tree in that regard. He's formed his own philosophy, but like most great leaders, he's learned from the best and he's incorporated some of what they've taught him into his own philosophy.

Q: Is it safe to assume you weren't clicking reload every five minutes on Internet message boards during the search?

A: I'm not offended at all that we have some fans who had their favorite person. That's not offensive. I have loved the passion of our fans. Great organizations have common threads — passion is one. Organizations with negative energy can't get where they're going. Organizations who are indifferent never excel.

So give me passion. I don't want a fan base who's indifferent. Give me the passion that our fan base possesses. I love it. I'm not offended by it. I'm not offended by social media. I'm not offended by reports saying that I talked to so-and-so when I never talked to so-and-so. That's part of our business.

Q: Did the early fixation by some fans on the candidacy of Jon Gruden set unrealistic expectations for the search?

A: I think there's a real element to that. I think people did become, to use your word, somewhat fixated on Jon. I reached out to Jon very early in the process and even tentatively went about the task of setting up a visit. But I learned very quickly from Jon's agent that Jon's happy doing what he's doing.

He loves Knoxville, he loves Tennessee — that's very real. Jon loves Tennessee, but he's got a great job and he's happy what he's doing and he's not going to coach college football. And eventually that went very public.

Q: Because the SEC is so competitive, Tennessee's path back to the top tier of the league almost has to coincide with the decline of someone else — whether Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, LSU or others. Those schools have great coaches and passionate fan bases, too. How confident are you that UT won't be in the same place three, four or five years from now, dealing with the same questions that are being asked now?

A: Your point is well taken, because it is a cyclical industry. When we were rolling in the 1990s, a lot of those programs were down, which meant we could go into their backyard to recruit. They were rotating coaches, for the most part. Now they've acquired what we want: They've acquired stability. I didn't want us to be in this environment. I didn't want us to have more transition. But the results demonstrated that we needed to make the change we made (in firing Dooley last month). And Derek understood that and I think everyone understood that.

But you don't want somebody coming into this environment, afraid of this environment. We don't want somebody thinking, 'Well maybe I can't get it done there.' We don't want that coach. We want somebody who loves that challenge, and we've got that person.

Now he has no delusions of grandeur. He knows we're not there. He knows we've got to roll our sleeves up and we've got a tough task ahead of us. But he embraces it. And that's another quality that we desperately need.

I don't have a crystal ball. Am I confident? I am confident that if we put the infrastructure in place, we can do it. You can't put it all on the coach. You can't put it all on Derek Dooley. You can't put it all on Butch Jones. We have an obligation administratively to put the foundation under him and give him everything he needs to be successful, and we're committed to doing that. That's part of the challenge to get back to that foundation.

Just because we made a coaching change doesn't mean we're going stream-roll everybody on our schedule. What it does mean is we have a new beginning. We have a very enthusiastic head coach and staff who want to put their arms around this thing and tackle it. And it means we have to help them. We can't give this coach the same short stick that Derek was handed. We can't do that, and we won't do that.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Banner writes:

When can we get a new AD? I'm so tired of FSU and Bama references. You got fired at FSU for a ton of issues. You were second in command at Bama and had no juice. Nothing to do with the Saban hire or his success. All he has done here is fire people and keep dead weight on staff like Tegano. Pathetic!

BackAShoneysnFleas writes:

Mr. Hart impresses me as someone who has been around the block a few times when it comes to being an athletic administrator. I think we're lucky he came to Tennessee, and the results of his hard work will become apparent when our football team begins climbing back up in the SEC. I'm glad he's got thick skin, because with some of the nut jobs in this fan base, he's gonna need it. This transition back toward the top is gonna take a while.

SamDaVol writes:

Good job Mr. Hart. Thank you for bringing in a good coach and steadying the ship. I'm on board now lets play some football!!

nocleats writes:

"But you can't put it all on the coach. We have an obligation administratively to build the foundation"
He is speaking to Dr Cheek and his minions here, They can make this rebuilding effort as easy as they want to. They just have to be asked, persuaded, even pressured and MADE to do it.

Scottallen6691#1412403 writes:

I think we have a good man in Hart, very down to earth and a man with common sense, very rare

senracjr writes:

in response to Banner:

We need a new fan, and it's not you! Banner is so close to being Bammer so go join them!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Banner:

I can't see where firing Hart will accomplish anything..Furthermore, what UT needs is wins and a lot of this frustration will go away..Hart IMO has UT headed in the right direction after Hamilton clearly had them headed in the wrong one..GBO!

dlravol2 writes:

I think I'm on Mr. Hart's wagon! Let's win!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to DEMS_KEEP_ME_IN_CHAINS:

Dickey?? Good grief, I believe Woodruff was the AD back when Dickey was the HC..

Banner writes:

in response to senracjr:

If I did join Bama I would be going to a bowl game, no wait a NCAA Championship. Instead I'm toiling in mediocrity led by a man who was fired from FSU and fetched coffee at Bama. He had a chance to hire Tuberville or others. Instead we get Cincy's coach Really?????, and he brings the best staff In the country with him. Lol. I love UT but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Banner:

Tuberville was struggling at Texas Tech, at 58, he may be past his prime.

There was no homerun out there. Every viable coach had warts, including Gruden.

Pullingguard writes:

Great answers by hart...detailed answers. He knows where the program needs to be And will support the coach In Reaching Improvement.. He mentions Bama and FSU because he has been associated with winners. Good man for AD..

gobigorange5090 writes:

Did John Majors bring a magic wand?

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to Banner:

For gods sake, stop whining!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Are you EVER happy?

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to DEMS_KEEP_ME_IN_CHAINS:

How do you know he cant?

AncientVolFan writes:

Butch Jones has essentially followed Brian Kelly's footsteps. So far he has closely matched Kelly's sucess at two schools. The question is will he match Kelly's success at Notre Dame here at UT? Will he finally outshine his mentor? Or was he winning with Kelley's base? I hope he outshines Kelly. Perhaps a spark will lite.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to DEMS_KEEP_ME_IN_CHAINS:

Pull for another team, loser!

BMSvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Tuberville was struggling at Texas Tech, at 58, he may be past his prime.

There was no homerun out there. Every viable coach had warts, including Gruden.

he didnt have sec size and speed on defense at texas tech

jbc writes:

Massive Coaching Salaries Are Justified

Orange_Power_T writes:

The last six years have been one disappointment after another. As a fan, it's easy to armchair and complain about every aspect of mediocrity of our program. As a fan, I supported Dooley until this last season and realized he was just not capable of getting the job done- so I griped and complained.
Clemson had a successful season and a T-shirt made me realize how. Everyone of the Clemson base wore a T-shirt that said nothing but "All In". This wasn't meant for just the athletes but for EVERYONE....fans included. Now, I realize that it was near impossible to be "All In' with Dooley at the helm. But I will do my best to support CBJ and the program simply because I truly believe buying in and supporting this team is my responsibility. We are expecting CBJ to make lemonade from lemons. I will expect myself to do the same, hard times be damned. CBJ has an insurmountable task in front of him and does not deserve fans that will not give their best or ALL IN.

SouthPaVol writes:

Hart is giving an interview about general business in Knoxville to keep the media hounds off our new football coaching staff. The entire staff is on the recruiting trail these next two weeks, bringing next year's talent to UT. Not an easy task, considering the circumstances. I think Hart knew what he was doing when he hired Jones, and he knows what he's doing now.

My left-handed comment: We will not lure 5-star players away from the state of Florida with a losing record. I doubt we sign even one 5-star player this year, although our guys are good recruiters. Regardless, Jones proved he knows how to win with 3 and 4-star talent, which is what he did at Cincy, putting several of these 3-star players in the NFL. There are no better recruiters out there than Graham and Thigpin--period--and when we have a couple of winning seasons under our belt, watch these two bring the top recruits to Tennessee. Go Vols!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to BackAShoneysnFleas:

What you said! Mr. Hart said a lot of the right things. Some gripe about him being at Fla & Bama before. Would you rather have an AD on his first job? Glad he's got thick skin, he needs it with this bunch.
There are still lots of problems at UT that are above Hart's pay grade, nothing he can do about that.
This is the kind of info KNS needs to be getting out to the fans. How about a little on recruiting, where has Coach Jones been this week, you know, what's going on?

GBO - Give em heII butch!

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to DEMS_KEEP_ME_IN_CHAINS:

Did you forget your password westknoxrepub or is this your evil twin? I get so tired of the same ole recruit/stars bull. Stars are numbers and that is it. Yes it may give a guage, but you get the right person working with the recruits, a 3 star can many times outplay a 5 star. Lets give Coach Jones and his crew a chance. If it works out, it works out and I believe it will. Sure must stink thinking so negative all of the time. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

tnfanincali writes:

Wow. Some of the people who post on here are seriously delusional. Gruden? What do you guys think, that we could offer Nick Saban the job and he would graciously step away from... you know what, never mind. those of you who know what is happening and have a grasp on reality know that its hit or miss, Dooley did the best he could with what he was handed, and had he retained Wilcox that system did extraordinarily well in its second season, and with the O we had this year under Chaney it woulda been at least 2-3 more wins and probably more like 3-4 but that didn't happen and now we are where we are. I really hope this new staff gets it right and some of these kids stick around and we could be alright next year. We shoulda keep Chaney..

Tennfan4075 writes:

Let me preface by saying I hope with total sincerity that CJ succeeds because if he don't get the job done relatively soon it may never be done. My biggest concern is if CJ deserves all of the great superlatives currently being heaped upon him by ADH, why were they not recognized back in early to mid November, before apparently being turned down by several other coaches? The current level of performance by the football team as been terrible by any standards but even this poor level has been accentuated by the results CF achieved during his tenure. CF brought the highest level of FB in UT history other than possibly during Neyland's era and this has served to set the bar so high that marginal success may not be acceptable and when you add Bama, the Gators and Georgia and their superior instate recruiting advantage, who ever the coach is will need a lot of luck in addition to some great coaching skills.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

Hart has the right philosophy, that there needs to be a culture change on the hill and it isn't all on the coaches. The problem has been in the complete lack of execution of that to this point.

The coaching search was not handled well at all. A simple statement saying that they are seeking a coach with direct experience with NCAA recruiting due to the probation would have automatically squashed the Gruden rumors before they spun out of control.

The lawsuits and ugly nature of the integration of the athletic department. Forcing Summitt out on anything other than her terms was wrong.

The continued grandstanding and adversarial nature of the academic side of the school with the "us versus them" mentality. Cimino, and, by extension, Cheek going on record that the AD won't receive funds from academics and other facets of the school shows how wide this divide was last week. The truth is, athletics never has received funds from other UT programs. This was all in response to the athletic department pulling it's 18 million dollars out.

The ledger is weighted heavily towards the conclusion that Hart is doing more harm than good to date.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

What this University needs is a strong president who will step in and put in an end to this constant bickering between the AD and academics.

6 in 11 years has completely eroded the authority of the president's office. DiPietro needs to step up and get Cheek and Hart on the same page whether they like it or not.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to SouthPaVol:

The Dead Period begins Dec. 17 through Jan. 3. It means no contacts or visits except 1 phone call per week during this time to any recruits. They can only talk to mid term commitments.

I hope that Jones and his staff are not on the recruiting trail as it would be a violation otherwise.

VOL1972 writes:

It strikes me that Hart knows what he is doing and talking about. Gruden never had any intention of coming here, Strong saw how difficult of a job it was going to be and Petrino's history would have just been too much of a distraction; so he went after, and got, Jones, arguably the best available candidate.

This will not be a 2 or 3 year solution, not with our schedule. The environment at UT has become a lot like Vandy’s used to be in that athletics simply does not have the support of the academic side of the University. That has to change and the AD is simply not in the position to do that. I don’t know how you ever fix the problem until you acknowledge all the components of it. We haven’t done that yet.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hey BB, same old trolls, new names. Banner - Nov.27, 2012: chains - Dec 15, 2012.
Same old song with these guys, it's getting real old.
At least you know DC & ZZZZZZZ are Gators & just messing with us (sometimes they even have something useful to add between all their ribbing)
I thought KNS banned political BS on here, chains' name looks political. He should be banned just so we can see what cute little name it comes up with next.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Same old song with these guys, it's getting real old.

Good point, I guess they served their twisted purpose when I responded..It won't happen again, thx for the heads up..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

So, how are they not on the same page?? Didn't Cheek take funds out of the academic side to fund a new HC? I think Cheek realized the athletic department has funded many academic projects and if the fb program is down so will the overall profits of the University.

pcorange writes:

in response to BackAShoneysnFleas:

+1. Good post.

pcorange writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

I believe you are the one who was saying that Jon Gruden was a done deal, and Hart was just waiting for the right time to announce it. Gruden never had any intention of coming to UT. He enjoys the speculation surrounding him every silly season, but he was never going to be our coach. I have not always been a fan of Dave Hart. At one point, I was firmly convinced he was an Alabama mole because it seemed as if he were going to retain Dooley in spite of three losing seasons. Thankfully, he did what was right and released Dooley. I think he managed the coaching search almost flawlessly. Just because he didn't get who YOU wanted as coach does not mean that he did anything wrong. He methodically worked down a list of successful coaches until he found one that wanted to come to Tennessee. Just because YOU think that Tennessee is still seen around the country as an elite coaching job doesn't mean that other coaches see it that way. It is difficult at best to go off and pull a top notch coach away from a successful program. The dumptruck load of cash we all think UT has? It doesn't exist. The athletic program is nearly broke. These big time donors we thought would come running to finance the coaching change? Apparently didn't happen, seeing that the AD had to stop the $6M annually that they were giving to academics in order to finance it. So, get off your delusional high horse, get behind this new coaching staff and be patient with them, as we are not going to be national champions again anytime soon. We need to have expectations of methodically returning to winning seasons, solid bowl bids, and annual improvement in recruiting. We do not need to have expectations of an SEC or national championship in the first three years, because it ain't happening. Hart may not be what you want, hell he ain't what I want, but he has done the best we could expect anybody to do with the mess Hamilton left behind.

pcorange writes:

in response to nocleats:

I agree. I don't know how much authority the governor has over the situation on the hill, but he needs to exercise every ounce of his authority to put pressure on the University of Tennessee to allow the athletics department to be competitive with the top SEC programs. UT is already at a disadvantage to Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, and South Carolina geographically when it comes to recruiting. We don't need a bunch of goofy professors making matters worse. Successful football only helps academics because when football is raking in the dough, some of that money can be invested in academics.

vol49 writes:

Careful. The voice of reason is not allowed here.

HighPlainsVol writes:

in response to BMSvol:

he didnt have sec size and speed on defense at texas tech

Silly boy, he didn't have to play against SEC defenses either. The real problem at TX Tech is recruiting against the tu shorthorns, OU, and TAMU.

exlineman writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Bivolar Beare, someone pointed it out to you earlier to give you a heads up. In my opinion, we are dealing with a 51 yr. old die hard vanderbilt fan, who is attempting to sabotage our reccruiting as well as bringing our school to our knees. Have you noticed that (cant stand saban), (professional handicapper), (45 revolver) are not on here today? Instead he is using (college grove billy),(banner(diems keep me in chains) as some of his names today.

He is all one person by the name of Brett Roberts out of Nashville. His girl friend has a 2009 gold corvette conv., she lets him drive some and she is a die hard vandy fan. He has been advised by her either get aboard and pull for vandy or you don't get to drive the vette and you will have to take a walk. He has a little electical schooling over in Cleveland, Tn.. He is a self proclaimed gambler dealing in small time betting. He had a son that did attend UT, but don't know if that is still going on. He had a bmw several yrs ago that he says he had to sell: yea. He appears to be small time in his business working out of bars etc. and keeps his pc with him when traveling etc. He also goes by Brett Maverick, big deal, big time important. These fans on here should be smart enough to know it is someone with vandy ties or ky ties as they are the only two in the conference that we have beat easily for so many yrs. These people will do anything to get back at Tn.

exlineman writes:

Bivolar Beare, I beleive he is also gruden's agent another name that the hatred and words used are mostly always the same.

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

Im not to sure about Dave Hart either but he is our AD, so I must trust him. I say this because I just don't like Bama ties. We need UT guys who love UT. Like Manning coming back to be QB couch or something hehe that be sweet!

I won't be happy of Jones or Hart until I see a winning season and a Bowl game. Until then.....

Let's look at what did go right in 2012 and leave the bad behind us! GBO

"A new leader" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xteY...

*Im always watching*

Navaloranges writes:

in response to Banner:

borntowhine, semiprodogwalker, bannoid, etc., ect., etc. You have to be the biggest loser(s) that have ever graced this board. We know ONE thing about you "brett maverlick", you are one blowhard that knows how to type some lying BS. That is ALL you're good for. Your little game of filling this board with nonsense to "sway recruiting" is nothing but foolish ramblings, that will make NO DIFFERENCE at all. We all know who you are, and what you stnad for. So keep up your favorite line, "...fired a hall of fame coach", and we'll just keep telling you how dense you are. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, one day it'll dawn on you that you are the biggest JOKE on here, and we know that EVERY SINGLE THING YOU TYPE stems from your UNHEALTHY WORSHIP of Phillip Fulmer. We love our Hall of Fame Coach too, we just know his time has passed. Obviously YOU are too dimwitted to figure that out, so you childishly show your "simple" mind on here, on a daily basis.

GerryOP writes:

in response to pcorange:

Good post pcorange! Well said! You tell it like it is.

Tyler_Bray_Truth writes:

The question about another program needing to be in decline for UT to succeed is so disingenuous and ignorant of the recent past. As bad a coach as Dooley is, we had Georgia and Florida on the ropes. A good coach like Butch wouldn't let those wins slip through our grasp. The talent is there, and future talent will be there. This is Tennessee. We'll rebound just like Florida and Alabama did.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to exlineman:

Thx Exline, that explains a lot about his never ending debating/whining/BS..I'll disregard he/she in the future.

TennesseeTee writes:

in response to SamDaVol:

Great post. I think all the UT fans bashing Hart should stop to think that we could still have Mike Hamilton who led this program to where it is now by hiring someone who had only 1 previous head coaching position, and was fired from it less than half way through his second season.

We all need to get behind Butch Jones and support him as he goes about the task of turning this program around. GO BIG ORANGE!

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Doug Matthews has been beating this drum for a few years now regarding the infrastructure, or lack thereof between the athletic department and the academic side of the University.

Ivan Maisel made a comment on the competitive disadvantages that coach Jones will face just last week.

Go back to articles during the Dooley hire and see some of the complaints being brought up while coach after coach passed on this program.

We see the academic side of the school allow the AD out of an 18 million dollar commitment made under Hamilton to the school only to follow it up with a statement that they won't help fund the AD in the future, despite the fact that they have never done so anyway.

There is an obvious disconnect between the two factions and, despite that 18 million dollar "gift", it isn't going away.

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

There is alarming deja vu in all this. Harts comments sound so similar to Mike's justifications for hiring Dooley. Dooley had all the personal qualifications you could ask for. His self destruction was hiring Sunseri. Fulmer's self destruction was hiring Clawson as OC. Firing Fulmer was the first step of UT self destruction, and UT might never dig out of the hole. Or take twenty years doing so.

I don't trust Hart. I was sceptical of his insistence that the new HC must have proven HC experience. That is hopeless and helpless rock star mentality. No one ever began a career as HC. HC was the ultimate step for all of them. So why would not the "Chief," John Chavis be an excellent choice of HC for Tenn.? A Tennessee man. World's of experience. But too late now. The rock star band wagon is rolling, even if warm up acts are the best we can hope for. And who knows? Butch might become a rock star himself. I don't know and neither does anyone else.

TennesseeTee writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

This is so true! If in 3 years the program has not shown significant improvement, then I can understand being negative. But I can honestly say that I am excited about a UT coaching hire for the first time in a very long time! Regardless of whether other UT fans agree with me on that or not, Butch Jones is the coach we've got, and we all need to unite behind him, and support him as he goes to work making us competitive again. GO VOLS!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pomp_and_circumstance:

Six years as a successful HC is exactly the kind of coach UT needs..For the love of Pete why do you Fulmer lovers never give it a rest??