Dickey 'looking forward to a new chapter'

Trade to Jays final, former Vol's contract extended 2 years

New York Mets starting pitcher R.A. Dickey (43) works in the fifth inning of a baseball game against the Atlanta Braves Saturday, July, 14, 2012 in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John bazemore)

New York Mets starting pitcher R.A. Dickey (43) works in the fifth inning of a baseball game against the Atlanta Braves Saturday, July, 14, 2012 in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John bazemore)

Travis d'Arnaud

Travis d'Arnaud

NEW YORK — Eager for a new challenge and certainly a better chance to win, R.A. Dickey broke the news of his trade even before the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Mets.

A few minutes ahead of the teams announcing the seven-player swap Monday that sent the NL Cy Young winner to Toronto, the former University of Tennessee star tweeted his thanks to Mets fans and added he was all set to pitch for the Blue Jays.

"Now that its official, I want to say that I don't have the words to express how grateful I am to you for the steadfast support," Dickey posted on Twitter. "Thank you for making me feel wanted."

"Looking forward to a new chapter with the Jays," he wrote.

Toronto acquired the 38-year-old knuckleballer and catchers Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas. The Mets got top catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud and catcher John Buck, plus minor league right-hander Noah Syndergaard and outfielder Wuilmer Becerra.

"It was an extraordinary privilege for us to be part of his career," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said about Dickey on a conference call. "The final chapter has not been written."

Earlier in the day, Dickey and the busy Blue Jays agreed to a new contract,

clearing the way for the Mets to send him to a team that's spending a lot of money trying to join baseball's elite. Toronto has now acquired All-Stars Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Melky Cabrera and Dickey since the season ended.

Dickey was already signed for $5.25 million next year. His new contract adds two more seasons for $25 million he will get $12 million in both 2014 and 2015, plus there's a club option for 2016 at $12 million with a $1 million buyout.

Dickey needed to pass a physical before the teams announced the deal. He became the fourth pitcher to win the Cy Young and be traded before the next season, joining David Cone, Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens.

Alderson said the Mets' preference going into the offseason was to re-sign Dickey. But as the winter meetings approached in early December, Alderson said Dickey's value "in a possible trade was also sky-rocketing. At some point, those lines crossed."

Several teams made runs at a deal for Dickey, with Texas and the Los Angeles Angels among those in the mix. Alderson said while some clubs popped in and out of trade talks, Toronto's interest remained steady.

Alderson said the Mets didn't completely decide to trade Dickey until they saw the final package that Toronto offered.

"This was a complicated deal," Alderson said.

The Blue Jays have missed the playoffs since winning their second straight World Series crown in 1993, and have boldly moved to reshape a team that went 73-89 last season in the rugged AL East.

Last month, they acquired a high-priced trio Johnson and Buehrle on the mound, Reyes at shortstop in a 12-player trade with the Miami Marlins.

Toronto later signed Cabrera, an All-Star outfielder with San Francisco whose season ended when he was suspended 50 games for a positive testosterone test.

Dickey was 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA last season, capping his rapid rise from the majors' scrap heap to an ace pitcher. He did it by perfecting a way to throw his floater faster than previous knuckleballers, and tossing it with exceptional control.

Dickey becomes part of a stellar rotation that includes Johnson, Buehrle and returning starters Ricky Romero and Brandon Morrow.

Thole gives the Blue Jays a catcher who is familiar with handling Dickey's knuckleball. He joined a lineup that features former home run champ Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion, who hit 42 homers last season.

Despite a big spot in the rotation to fill minus Dickey, Alderson said the Mets were not giving up on next season.

"We certainly are not punting on 2013," he said.

D'Arnaud turns 24 in February. He hit .333 at Class AAA Las Vegas with 16 homers and 52 RBIs before tearing a knee ligament trying to break up a double play in June. He has been an All-Star at several levels during his climb through the minors.

Alderson called d'Arnaud the top catching prospect in the minors and predicted he could contribute on the major league level next year.

Popular with Mets fans, Dickey perturbed team management when he spoke about his contract situation last week during a club event at Citi Field for children displaced from their schools by Superstorm Sandy.

Dickey said he enjoyed playing for the Mets and added it would be "disappointing" if he went through his option year without a new deal and became a free agent.

"If that's the decision that they make, I feel like it would be unfortunate because it probably is going mean that I'm not going to be back," Dickey said then. "And that would be sad."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!

  • Discuss
  • Print

Comments » 1

Glentenn writes:

I am a longtime Met fan (no wise comments needed - ha!). They are insane if they do not resign Dickey. After all the millions they have wasted on people like Jason Bay, Pedro Martinez, Mo Vaughn,etc, it would be criminal to lose Dickey when they are not that far apart on compensation. Knuckleballers just get no respect.

I feel like Charlie Brown falling as Lucy takes the football away again.

Want to participate in the conversation? Become a subscriber today. Subscribers can read and comment on any story, anytime. Non-subscribers will only be able to view comments on select stories.

Features