Trae Golden named SEC player of the week

Tennessee guard Trae Golden (11) drives the ball downcourt alongside forward Jarnell Stokes (5) in the game against Wichita State at Thompson-Boling Arena Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

The Southeastern Conference office announced Monday that Tennessee point guard Trae Golden has been named SEC Basketball Player of the Week for the week of Dec. 10-16.

Golden scored a season-high 25 points in UT’s 69-60 win over previously unbeaten and 23rd-ranked Wichita State Thursday, more than doubling his scoring average coming into the game.

In addition to dishing out a game-high five assists, Golden was clutch at the foul line – making 13-of-16 attempts. It was his sixth career 20-point performance and boosted his season scoring average to a team-best 13.3 points per game. The Powder Springs, Ga., native also pulled down a pair of rebounds while helping keep the Volunteers (5-3) undefeated at home this year.

This is the first SEC weekly honor received by a Vol this season, and it is the second such honor of Golden’s career. He also was named SEC Player of the Week on Nov. 14, 2011.

Golden and the Vols are back in action Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET when they host Presbyterian College (2-8) at Thompson-Boling Arena. The game will be televised regionally on SportSouth.

For the most up-to-date information about the Tennessee basketball program, visit UTsports.com/basketball and follow @Vol_Hoops on Twitter.

kyvol98 writes:

Deserved. Trae was clutch form the line and aggression to the rim is what got him to the line.

brod writes:

good. now if coach can recruit him a backup. it's not armani moore, and lopez needs some work. not bad for a walk-on though.

Basketvol writes:

Congratulations Trae! I agree that Trae needs some help either at backup or just someone else who can bring the ball up the floor with confidence.

tomatosoup writes:

Guys....saw the game on TV and this dude is a studddddddddd!!!!! We are back!!!! Go Vols!!!!

Good work, Trae! Keep up that aggressive attitude, but be sure to keep your head up and your dribble alive when you go into the middle. You are the most important guy on the squad right now. Continue to be the leader they need and you guys will surprise a lot of people.

JDX47 writes:

Not to be negative, because I am glad he got this. However, the lack of penetration in all the previous games (where even a little would have resulted in a win) is of great concern. I have watched several games both this year and last where we had people dribble penetrate and we looked good...but it was always fleeting. It seems we have seen this movie before and they revert back to passing it around the horn 10 time and pumping up a bad shot. Let's hope that this success gets into their heads and the light bulb STAYS on.

voloffaith writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Remember TOE_MAE_TOE watch the acidity as it can affect the analysis and blur realty and dreams....

On topic, congrats Trae! Keep it up and we may be competitive. Need maymon back on the post to help Jarnell...without we will be middle of the pack at best...

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm happy for Trae! This is a much deserved award. I suspect that Trae appreciates the win more than the award. Wins will get UT more awards if they keep working hard.

Trae did look like a true point in that game...or maybe at least a great shooting guard playing point well.hehe

in response to JDX47:

Well, he penetrated enough against Wichita to draw enough fouls to shoot SIXTEEN free-throws. I agree that they haven't done enough of that previously, but they did that night. It may be tougher to penetrate against some teams than others, but it is also a matter of habits. They got into a rut with all that passing around the outside and paid for it with the stagnant offense against G'town and UVA in particular. I think it is possible that they saw how much more effective they were with the movement and penetration against Wichita and will try to do more of it as the season goes on.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I think we might be doing Trae a disservice by calling him a "point guard" all the time. A more descriptive term one hears is "lead guard". That is a player who is the primary ball-handler on a team that runs a motion offense, as the Vols do, with few set plays. He brings the ball upcourt and gets the team in its initial sets, but doesn't necessarily orchestrate every part of the offense. He also has more responsibility to score than the stereotypical PG does.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Trae put this team on his back and imposed his will on the shockers..Well deserved honor.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

POINT taken. But you have to admit that in the Wichy game he looked a little bit like a point. At least he started a lot of the plays well...and finished some well. What I liked in this game was the ball movement. We actually got in the lane. We actually used some screens that didn't move. We actually dribble penetrated some. We hit a few mid-range shots. It just looked better.

Of course it wasn't just Trae. I loved McRae's movement and choices. I loved Yemi's rebounding.
I'm still a bit skeptical against the zone but I believe with our team's higher level of confidence we can beat that too.

Presbyterian and a coupla more games and we'll be ready for SEC. I can sense it. But looking at things I sincerely hope the other SEC teams improve as well.

jt45 writes:

Congrats to Trae, well done.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Golden and McRae both played a level of ball this last game not seen this season. They both played miles ahead of their play of last year. Keep that play up and we will have a 20 win season even without Maymon. Even better if Maymon and Stokes both show up.

Regardless of how you guys feel about the gators, they are the team to beat this year. Didn't it feel good to hear them get beat this past week!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Not really. I know what you mean but I only hate SEC teams when they play us. POLLS?? We need to beat undefeated teams like Wichy was when we beat them.
The SEC right now is not helping our overall picture. The Dukes of the world or this year maybe the Louisville's love it when they can bring down an SEC team. Florida though is a great team as usual. I think we'll beat them anyhow. That needs to be a boost for the polls and post season play if we can pull it off.

signalcorps writes:

his last two games the best I have ever seen him play,,,,,for some reason in the past he would not play guard,,,,keep getting better....GO VOLS

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I'm afraid you're right about the SEC not helping the Vols right now. Now of course the Vols have to pretty much win out in the non-conference games--no small feat it itself--and win about three-fourths of their SEC games, but unless some of the other teams also finish non-conference play strong, the SEC may not get more than three teams into the NCAAs, and the league RPI might mean that nobody gets above a #3 seed. I agree that Florida looks like the class of the league right now, and like you I wasn't all that happy to see them lose at Arizona for that reason. Unfortunately, being the class of the SEC just isn't that impressive these days.

SevenT writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

The NIT might take this average team, maybe?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SevenT:

The NIT might take this average team, maybe?

yeh maybe. this year we're sort of an average conference so far. top to bottom. I guess that would include your team?

John_10065 writes:

in response to signalcorps:

He played hurt all last year. The longer he playerd hurt, the more he got taken advantage of on the pick and roll at the top of the key. It cost UT a NCAA spot in March.

I can't blame Golden for that, he was and is courageous. I blame Pearl but being a jerkwad and leaving the program in disarray over a hotdog and a photo.

I have great respect for Golden's play. I think he is a natural #2 player and he has been forced to play the #1 spot out of necessity. And he had done it very well in spite of the nay sayers on this site. He has done it well enough to be recognized within the league as being one of the top players in his position.

Imagine if we had a natural #1 player that could let Golden play in the #2 spot? Oh, how good would this team be?

Basketvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

The NIT might take this average team, maybe?

UK, you mean?