Lady Vols catch another cold at Baylor

Baylor's Brittney Griner (42) shoots against Tennessee's Bashaara Graves (12) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012, in Waco, Texas. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Photo by LM Otero

Photo by LM Otero

WACO, Texas — December felt more like early summer in central Texas on Tuesday with sunny skies and unseasonably warm temperatures.

Inside the Ferrell Center, however, winter still reigned over Tennessee. There, the Lady Vols' met their usual cold, dark fate against Baylor.

It was even worse than their previous visit as they missed their first 11 shots to set in motion a 76-53 women's basketball loss to the defending national champions.

Brittney Griner led No. 3 Baylor (9-1) with 17 points. The All-American center played a leading role in a 17-point scoring run to start the Lady Bears' fifth consecutive victory in the series.

Griner's teammates essentially took over from there. Kimetria Hayden hit four 3-pointers and scored 16 points. Brooklyn Pope had 16 rebounds to go with 11 points. Jordan Madden scored 12.

"I thought we came out on fire," Griner said. "Any time we play Tennessee it's a high-intensity game."

No. 10 Tennessee (7-2) responded with a high-anxiety performance — at least for most of the first half. Meighan Simmons was the top scorer with 16 points but the junior guard needed 18 shots for her output. And there wasn't much help from the rest of UT's starters, who combined for 18 points.

Senior guard Kamiko Williams came off the bench to record her first career double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. She also had six assists and no turnovers.

The Lady Vols ended up shooting a chilly 29 percent (22-for-75) from the floor and suffered a margin of defeat that tied for eighth largest in program history.

"We've been really shooting the ball well," UT coach Holly Warlick said. "I thought we had some open looks but it was always rushed. We were quick shooting the ball and our plan wasn't to quick shoot the ball."

Tennessee was hurting before the opening tip with center Isabelle Harrison sidelined with a sprained ankle suffered on Sunday against Texas. Her absence shrank UT's roster to eight players.

Once the game started, the situation grew worse. The fluid offense of the last seven games deteriorated into a series of jittery possessions. In the process, the Lady Vols topped the nine missed shots to start their only other game in Waco — a 65-54 loss on Dec. 14, 2010.

By the time Cierra Burdick rose up to knock down a jumper, nearly seven minutes had passed.

In that time, Griner already had scored nine of Baylor's 17 points. Tennessee's decision to deploy Bashaara Graves against her as a solo defender at the outset saddled the freshman forward with two quick fouls and a seat on the bench.

Burdick's basket actually started something of a scoring flurry. A Simmons tear-drop drive pulled UT within 23-11.

The surge was brief. The Lady Vols' field goal shooting percentage plunged as low as 16 percent (5 for 30) before halftime.

"I thought our defensive intensity was special at the beginning," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. "Everybody just fed off each other."

By the break, Baylor's lead was 41-16. The previous record for a Lady Vols' halftime deficit was 20 against Rutgers on Jan. 3, 2009. They rallied to win that game.

On this night, there was no chance of history repeating itself, despite UT managing 37 second-half points. Even with Griner playing just 11 minutes after the break, the Lady Vols never got closer than 19 points. A Nia Moore layup pulled them within 72-53 with 1:33 left.

"You're slowly chucking away at the score and then you look up at the score and you're still down by 25," Burdick said. "It kind of plays with your mind. It plays with your confidence."

Dan Fleser covers Tennessee women's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/FleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

scvols writes:

Watching the Texas game, I was impressed how well the LV shot the ball. Then this happen, I guess they were too pumped.

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

I'm going to try and look at some of the positives. We actually outscored Baylor in the second half 36-34 despite Baylor getting most of the foul calls. Griner and Simms didn't play as much in the second but it generally stayed around that 23 point margin regardless of whether or not they were playing.

The team looked much more confident in the second half. It shows that they stopped being intimidated by Griner in the second half and displayed a real grit and toughness that we haven't seen in the last few years. I still wouldn't want to face Baylor in the NCAA tournament before the final four, but if we do I think it will be much closer especially since we would probably have Harrison back.

Kentucky got beat by a bigger margin than us so there's a strong possibility that Tennessee is the best team in the SEC. An SEC championship isn't unrealistic with these ladies.

I like our chances against Stanford. We always play them tough at home and this team is going to be playing with something to prove on Saturday.

AHOUSE writes:

As coach Wooden said "play fast but don't hurry"

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

When your starting 5 shoots 23% and your bench shoots 45%, what does that tell you. IMO Williams should be starting, SOMEWHERE. She came up 4 assists short of having a triple double.

oldster writes:

Can you say, "Scared to death?" The Lady Vols should avoid further embarrassment and forfeit any future games against Baylor as long as Griner is still playing. Her presence is enough to scare all of them into acting as if it were the first time they had ever seen a basketball. Why a center effects a jump shooter who is 20 feet away, I cannot understand, but Griner does the Lady Vols.

BxVol writes:

Wish there was a stat for ugly shots as our Lady Vols had way too many.Part of it stems from all the dribbling we do instead of quick passes.Baylor had 24 assists while we had 7 and Kamiko who played great had 6 of them.I saw very few screens set and they were more picks then screens.I remember when Spani would hit short jumpers early in her career and wonder whatever happenned to those.It`s like a soap opera with Meighan "will she ever learn what`s a good shot from a forcd one?" Wish John Wooden`s famous words would somehow be absorbed by Ms.Simmons, those being"be quick but don`t rush". Meighan`s not the only one who could benefit from that advice.Hopefully our Lady Vols will watch tape and learn from the experience as this team has talent and could be much better as the season progresses.Baylor is the team to beat but UConn is scary good.How good our Lady Vols will be is yet to be determined, and while I may seem critical, I`ll always be cheering you on!

jt45 writes:

Did Holly have a plan at all in the first half, whatever the problem was, they settled down and played pretty evenly with them in the second half.

Baylors stats were not that great but the 24 to 7 assist ratio is not what I expected from the Lady Vols, Ive never seen so many rushed shots as what they tossed up in the first half.

I sure hope Holly has a better game plan than this for the Stanford game.

About the only good thing is they did better than UK against the Lady bears, and on their worst night.

First half was a disaster and Holly really didnt have an answer after the game.

This wasnt the same team Ive been watching this year, hope they come back together soon.

orangewhite writes:

Does Simmons gripe any of you guys as much as me? I can't take it.

GOJO writes:

Sometimes they just won't fall. There will be better days.

underthehill writes:

Learning experience for a young talented team..unfortunately..the most talented are not yet starting and getting the minutes they should..hope Holly gets this figured out by tournament time..Kamiko has to play more..the Lady Vols did not score until Kamiko came in..Jones has potential to be tough ..Graves is going to be a great one..Burdick has great shooting touch..hope Harrison gets back soon and plays like she did before the injury..if that happens ..this team will win the SEC and play well in the big show..

Theo writes:

in response to jt45:

I sure hope Holly has a better game plan than this for the Stanford game.

First half was a disaster and Holly really didnt have an answer after the game.

Holly can't breathe for them. No matter what her plan was they were quick shooting all night. They needed to take some deep breaths and slow down. I think everyone talked about how they were going to have to shoot great from the outside which is pretty much a sure way to not shoot well from the outside.
All that to say I don't think criticism of Holly is warranted as the kids were so out of body you couldn't tell what the plan was.
Nonetheless, this team will learn a whole lot from watching this tape. I think they will be surprised and probably disgusted with the bad, fast shots.
It hurts but we will be a better team because of this game.

soj_Vol writes:

"Kamiko Williams was the lone double-figure scorer for No. 10 Tennessee (7-2) with 15 points and 10 rebounds."

If I'm not mistaken, Meighan Simmons also scored in double figures with 16 points. She was 6 of 18. The shooting percentages were pretty low for everyone.

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

I don't think there is any question the Lady Vols were tight and tense (not scared to death)..this loss does not bother me..it was expected..what I hope to see is the players and coaches learn from it..this Lady Vol team has some real competitors who fight hard and will get better..look how far Harrison progressed in one year..

SoddyVol writes:

“quick shots and jittery possessions” correctly described much of the 1st half for the Vols. Playing a good team that also has a 6 ft 8 center requires an entirely different way of playing. Baylor was ready and eager to play from the start while Tenn was trying to figure out how to get a shot off. The first half this young team couldn’t adjust or just didn’t know how to play against such height inside. Griner was worth more to Baylor than the final point spread, not just from scoring but from changing the way Tenn played offense. As good as Sims and others may be, without Griner the score might well have been switched. I believe the Vols are that good when they can play against a more normal team. I never thought Freshman, this early in their first season would do as well as they have so far. It’s best if they can forget the Baylor game. Most of what they learned is of little use against most teams. The real test of how far they have come will be against Stanford. If the Vols are mentally strong after this loss, they should be very competitive against them.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Johnlg

One of the best UT fans and basketball people going. I also hope the truest LV fan, 98Reaux, is still hanging on.

Last post.

Take care.

jt45 writes:

in response to Theo:

It hurts but we will be a better team because of this game.

Never said she was totally responsible, but she DID manage to get them settled down during halftime, she said as much in the post game interview. Having the team prepared Mentally is just as important as the Xs and Os. I stand by opinion. A little criticism after this performance is warranted. I think Holly has done a great job this year, just not in the first half of this game is all.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We acknowledge that Baylor has it all. Seniors, Griner, playing at home with Mulkey all wired as usual, plus the new mascara..

This game reminds me of the one with Duke in TBA a few years ago. Remember, that was the one Bruce came down out of the stands with his chest painted orange. If I'm not mistaken, amidst all that build up..........Duke went out to about a 19 - 0 lead. Correct me on the score if incorrect.

Anyway, let's give Baylor the credit. They hit 3 pointers with ease, Griner got them going early, and since the L V's couldn't get near the basket, they were throwing wild shots up from NBA range. Worst thing I saw was once there were at least 5 or 6 missed Baylor shots under the basket.........yet they got every offensive rebound.

Williams was a bright spot in the lineup and maybe she should be a starter. Again, Baylor would have won no doubt, but it did help a lot to not be missing 2 players.

4 days to get over this one.

oldster writes:

I turned the game off after the Lady Vols could not score for 7 minutes (I get depressed by ugly basketball). Did the "Volume Shooter" for the Lady Vols hit 20% of her shots. You know who I mean, you know "Sputter," I mean, "Speedy." Simmons is like the little girl with the curl. When she is good, she is very, very good; but when she is bad, she stinks up the joint.

fearthehound writes:

Whatever. I got this feeling that Baylor will come back to reality next year and the integrity of...um...women's basketball will be restored.

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

in response to oldster:

If we ignore Jones who was 1-2, Simmons was second on the team in shooting percentage behind Williams. She was 6-18 which isn't great, but it's still above the teams average of 29% for the game. Simmons shot selection has gotten much better since her sophomore year and it's reflected in her percentage of made shots which has also gotten much better.

r2d2 writes:

I copied this comment from another message board: "The fact that we are a young, inexperienced team, playing on the road, playing against one of the best teams(full of experience)in the country(with undoubtedly the best player in the country), playing without the tallest(most experienced post)player we've got etc. might have a little something to do with the score tonight. Just a thought." I agree 100%.

wayne.kearney#1414428 writes:

Just a very bad night for the Lady Vols. Once that AMAZON WOMAN is gone from Baylor they want be all that.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

I like this Lady Vols team and I believe they are going to have some great wins still this season but against Baylor they played scared and young. You guys are better than that, you are the Lady Vols!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

No shot at an NCAA title as long as Baylor avoids an upset.

ps11824 writes:

A real old fashioned spanking, that was for the Lady Vols. It will surely be a learning experience for them. It's yet to be seen how they take the lesson into the Stanford game.

The Lady Vols did look intimidated from the get-go. Personally, I will be happy to see Griner move on to the pro ranks. It is difficult to get a shot up over such an imposing figure as BG.

I just hope our team can learn that the little mistakes, turnovers, rushed shots will not win games against great teams. I heard Kara Lawson say that last night. Exactly what I was thinking. We have 3 or 4 great teams in the women's game, Tennessee is not one of those, yet. Holly knows that, but she can't "breathe for them' as Theo so aptly stated.

I think they will get better. Holly know what she's doing. The players will grow, heal and thrive. The spanking pain will help.

SummittsCourt writes:

That's why they call it a "home court advantage" - at home you shoot better than you do on the road. However, there is definately an intimidation factor going here against Baylor.

On the bright side, UT has a great chance to bounce back and beat #1 Stanford at home this Saturday.

Go Lady Vols!

signalcorps writes:

in response to wayne.kearney#1414428:

bottom line it's not nice ,,,coach holly's game plan had no chance,,,it's not nothing nice to say but she's not a good coach for a young team,,,,,you have to block the bigs out ,,we all seen what happen if you don't,,,,I have seen better game plans from high schools coachs.....GO LADY VOLS

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to fearthehound:

With no comment on Brittney Griner, the gender integrity of women's sports at the college level no longer exists. [see http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/...]

"Male" and "female" are no longer separate categories, but the extreme ends of a sliding scale. Gender is a hormonally augmented state-of-mind. You are whatever you want to be / claim to be. To question the integrity of any player's self-claim is to be intolerant, hateful, and un-supportive.

Furthermore, 95% of today's college players have been taught this all their lives. They will not question the most unfair transgender advantage, nor will they play for a coach who does--even on their behalf.

Like so many issues today, it's a tolerance that works in only one direction. Welcome to the brave, new world of women's sports.

volt11 writes:

in response to wayne.kearney#1414428:

TheEffect writes:

underthehill writes:

in response to signalcorps:

I have to agree Holly's game plan had no chance.. it was poor coaching decisions to play man defense on Griner..not have Kamiko on the floor more.. and play Spani at all..I do think Holly is doing a good job overall..

ps11824 writes:

Please don't continue this negative mess toward Holly. You guys are mistaken to think you know what she had planned. Anybody can plan. Players have to execute. Besides, just shut up about what Holly DID NOT plan. She IS OUR COACH. Support her, or SHUT UP.

vol98champ writes:

I sure hope Williams and Warlick straighten out whatever is their problem with each other. Granted, Williams played a lot when Griner was on the bench, but even then the rest of the team played scared. If they can get on the same page, Williams can lead this team and we can at least make the elite 8 again.

ModelMaker writes:

This is why you play teams like Baylor and Stanford early in the season. You want to find out who can't play on the big stage and who can. I think we found one who can. My hats off to Kamiko Williams. I thought that kid came to play and was simply outstanding. It seems I love her more every time I watch her play. 15 points 10 rebounds, 6 assists and no turnovers. I think that just about says it all. I love these kids. I will definately be going to the Stanford game. I hope we fill it up.

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

Exactly.

In the long run, maybe the worse outcome from this game was that Harrison did not get some time working against Griner.

Continue to wonder if Kamiko is just not a good practice player. What else would explain her ongoing lack of playing time? Is she limited in who she can match up against on defense?

oldster writes:

in response to BruisedOrange:

You are correct in much of what you say. However, while I am in favor of tolerance in many things, lines MUST be drawn along any continuum to seperate right from wrong, acceptable from unacceptable, etc. Exactly where this line is to be drawn changes in time along with the feelings, perspective, knowledge, and morals of a society change. This has happened, is happening, and will continue to happen in law. However, athletic competition requires less tolerance for things which give a person or team an unfair advantage than many other areas of our lives do with other aspects (e.g. we have greater tolerance for other people's religious beliefs). Allowing a person who produces male hormones or is who born with too many of a male's physical advantages over a woman to compete with women in a physical contest is unfair and, frankly, uninteresting. If that is intolerant, then I am. Of course, some people in the Middle East would think that I am a wild eyed liberal who wants to destroy their society because I think that women should be allowed to learn to read and participate in any and all aspects of their society as much as any man.

mnvol writes:

I don't quite understand this love affair with Williams. She's a senior who provides no leadership. If you've listened to coaches comments over the past three years, they've alwasy been diplomatic, but if you read between the lines they've basically said that Williams doesn't put out in practice on a consistent basis. If you don't want to practice, you don't play. It's that simple. That's how great programs are built.

Williams obviously has the talent. Her limited playing time is her responsibility.

underthehill writes:

in response to BruisedOrange:

Exactly.

Kamiko is the best outside defender on the team..her lack of playing time may be due to her not being a good practice player..but it sure ain't a lack of talent..

Tennfan4075 writes:

I never really expected the LV to win, to little talent compared to Baylor, but did expect the LV to at least make the game interesting. The LV are desperately short on talent and experience but would be nice to see smarter play and better shot selection, this usually improves shooting percentage. Nothing but a big girl spanking and may have more to come.

VOLinATL writes:

I would wager big money that none of these comments about Brittany Griner would be posted here if she played for the Lady Vols....

madrigal writes:

It's not like it wasn't expected. On balance, this is a young team and sometimes they will play like a young team. Get used to that. They are still the Lady Vols and will win more than they lose, and they will keep getting better. I can't stand you crape-hangers that whine and moan about everything. Nor can I stand the people who pick out one player and bash them relentlessly. Yes, I am talking to you Meighan and Kamiko bashers.

As for Brittney Griner, leave it alone. There are people who simply are born and built with advantages the rest of the world doesn't have. That does not make them transgender (yes, BruisedOrange, I am calling you out!) just because you think so. Are you going to say the same thing about Mercedes Russell when she arrives? Just shut up about it. It's rude and mean, and above all, you have no proof.

vol98champ writes:

in response to underthehill:

Like I said, I sure hope Holly and Kamiko get on the same page. It may be all Kamiko's fault, but if it isn't corrected we have no chance of beating the really good teams.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to signalcorps:

Think you have the expertice to make such ludicrous statements, huh? It wasn't the game plan that lost the game. Just didn't block out the bigs? How stupid.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

I sat and watched the whole game and yes it was painful. We were able to contain O.Sims a bit but we didn't shot well which to me is the only reason we lost. We won the battle on the boards but bottomline. They are a great team at home with possibly 4 first round WNBA picks. You have to look at their team and say we played them the best we could. Had our shots fallen it would have been closer. Let's move on. We will beat Stanford and Georgia at home.
Williams imo is a great half court player . She makes good decisions and has good shot selections. She slowed the tempo down just enough to get everyone settled last night. Coach Mulkey took notice and put BG back in . I hope Baylor and Uconn are on the same side of the bracket, because I really think our ladies can play with and beat Stanford, ND , and Duke. We shall see I guess

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to ps11824:

Warlick is the Ray Perkins of Tennessee Lady Vols basketball.

(The last time I posted this statement, it was deleted by somebody who obviously had no idea who Ray Perkins was.)

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

+1 Agree, especially with 2nd paragraph. Salaries should be proportional to revenues generated.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Warlick is the Ray Perkins of Tennessee Lady Vols basketball.

Seems to me I remember Perkins beating Notre Dame when coaching the Tide.

BornTNfan writes:

WOW! If this was a football game, you all would be blaming everything on the coaches and not the players. The fact is the LV was just throwing everything up without setting thier feet, rushing all their shots and just looked like they had no plan at all. It was an awful showinig and they deserved the spanking they received. No, I am not a hater...I love any and all things TN, but they just played horrible!

Vol1968 writes:

She's just tall. Better shooting on the outside and better plays WILL defeat Baylor.

madrigal writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

Take your whining somewhere else. We don't need you here.