Butch Jones says Cordarrelle Patterson 'definitely going to the NFL'

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson catches a 21-yard touchdown pass as Kentucky cornerback Cartier Rice defends during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Michael Patrick, Knoxville News Sentinel)

Tennessee football coach Butch Jones said his discussions with Cordarrelle Patterson have led him to believe the junior receiver is "definitely going to the NFL."

"He's a special player with a great skill set," Jones said. "I wish him well."

Jones said he's met with every junior considering an early entrance in the NFL draft, including quarterback Tyler Bray, who has not announced a decision.

"We've had conversations (with Bray)," Jones said. "In a very short period of time, it's hard for them, because they really don't know me. But you try to be as upfront and honest as possible....We'll support them in whatever choice they make."

Jones spoke to the News Sentinel in a wide-ranging interview Wednesday, one of a flurry of interviews and radio appearances Jones has conducted during a media tour this week.

Although Jones brought an almost entirely new coaching staff, there will be few noticeable changes to Tennessee's administrative staff.

Jones confirmed that Brad Pendergrass and Scott Altizer, who served as director of football operations and director of football relations, respectively, under Derek Dooley, are working as a part of his staff.

"They really know the lay of the land," Jones said.

NFL liaison Bill Baker and Vol for Life coordinator Antone Davis also will stay on.

Chris Spognardi, who was Jones' chief of staff at Cincinnati, will have a similar role at Tennessee. Keith Pantling, another Cincinnati staff member, will also have an administrative role under Jones at UT.

Jones said Tennessee’s spring game would still be played on April 20, 2013, as originally scheduled. He said the Vols would likely practice six times before spring break, which runs March 22-28, and then seven times leading up to the spring game. Jones said the plan is to practice three times a week -- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Razor784 writes:

No suprise, he's a special player, good luck CP

96vols writes:

It's a big loss, but we were expecting it. Good luck to Cordarrelle!

voloffaith writes:

That is probably one reason Harris of Maryland is on board..........

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

The NFL will be much more tolerant of the touchdown celebrations. Hope he has plenty of opportunities to celebrate, except when playing against the Titans, of course.

voloffaith writes:

If on Broncos would he drive Peyton crazy?

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say Croom and Bowles will do just fine. Witch Doctor say go make us proud Hunter Patterson and Bray.
Bones never lie.

SummittsCourt writes:

Some may see these departures as bad news, I on the other hand, see them as perhaps good news for the TEAM. Without "stars" the TEAM is forced to be a TEAM and not rely on "stars". Also, When the QB isn't focused on trying to get the other "stars" the ball an appropriate amount of times he can concentrate on hitting the open receiver.

Good luck Justin and Coradelle, thanks for your service to the Power T.

AllVol1 writes:

I have to say, I look forward to seeing which players really step up. I believe we have a lot of potentially good players. Croom is a big boy. Pig is quick and seems to just have "game". Bowles is more of an unknown to me. Vincent has experience. Cody Blanc could blossom like Rogers did this year. Our running game is solid with returning players AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE US LAND GREEN!! Go Vols.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If on Broncos would he drive Peyton crazy?

No, Peyton would just throw the ball where CP should be and Peyton will be the first one to read him the riot act if he's not.

GoVols_16 writes:

Translation: "Go forth, young man, we wish you the best. Nathan Peterman & Justin Worley will fight it out & LEAD us to victory!!"

straightshooter writes:

He may make it in the NFL but never will be great. Is too undisciplined in running his routes. Has great raw talent but I doubt it will ever be fully realized. Good luck to him, he still was a positive on the team.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to GoVols_16:

and what about Riley Ferguson, that kid showed a lot of heart and toughness at the elite 11 camp!!! I think he can be a special player!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to straightshooter:

Disagree. Patterson will explode in the NFL.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

People may call me crazy, but I'll miss Zach Rogers more than I'll miss Justin Hunter. Don't get me wrong, I like Hunter, but I just dig seeing a kid with less talent do more.

Patterson is another story entirely. I really wish we had him back for one more year, but with next year being such a rebuilding year, he would have probably made as little difference coming back as Eric Berry did.

Good luck to all of them! GBO!

Witch__doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor say Hunter Patterson and Bray need to make us proud. Witch Doctor say its about time.
Bones always lie

ambrown64 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If on Broncos would he drive Peyton crazy?

Peyton would do what our last regime failed to do: coach him into the best he could possibly be, THAT is a scary proposition!

GerryOP writes:

I wish Bray, Patterson, and Hunter well. It's time for them to move on. Go forth and do well.

Nighthawk writes:

in response to AllVol1:

Don't forget about Carter. He will be a "possession" receiver who will be as valuable as Rogers. Zack was a role model on how to be a Tennessee Volunteer.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Happy Trails CP..

Ironcity writes:

I get a kick from you guys that don't think we will miss these guys. We saw what a lack of speed did to the defense. Our offense could look just as painful if we don't find someone to stretch the field. As far as I can tell we have some quick guys but no burners at WR.

PabloMelton writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

I don't know if Patterson is capable reading the riot act on his own. Maybe they could accompany it with graphic illustrations.

volfaninutah writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If on Broncos would he drive Peyton crazy?

I guarantee the first time he missed a route, the next one, Peyton would probably stick the ball in his facemask or his earhole. Hope where ever he goes they have some patience with him. He will be fun to watch.

ArmyDad writes:

That not going to class thing likely played a large part in CP's decision. He was going to be one and done, no matter who the coach was going to be in 2013.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If on Broncos would he drive Peyton crazy?

My bet is he would learn to run pass patterns.

I wish CP all the best...great fun watching you play!

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

Not a VFL, I think you have to be here at least two years to qualify for that, not that it matters, he didn't really care about tennessee, he just wanted to show off his talents. Whatever...Bray needs to stay for his own benefit if he wants to be a successful NFL qb.

pingkr62 writes:

I wish all players leaving the best of luck. It's been great while they were here. The positive of all this is the possibility of signing 4+5 star high school players since the departure of these juniors and seniors means the chance of early playing time. We shall see. G.B.O.!!!

Prostar writes:

Patterson would not have been allowed to play due to grades, he was "one and done". I want to see a more mobile quarterback, ball-control and clock controlling offense. Not necessarily a quick strike offense. Keep their defense on the field and our defense rested. When it's third and one I hope to never see another 30-yard out pass.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Prostar:

I love the 30 yard out and the bomb just not a dozen times a game.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch__doctors:

Bones always lie

Witch Doctor say great another fake. Witch Doctor say set the clock until the admin deletes you.
Witch Doctor also notice he have a twitter fake also..losers use your own creativity.
Bones never lie.
((Jeopardy theme in background.))

nocleats writes:

in response to Prostar:

Bingo!
If you NEVER, go to class, EVER, you kinda limit your options. When I say he did not go to class, I mean he never ever went, not once. He is an amazing talent and he will be a millionaire by July. Wish I could have flunked out and made Millions. Jealous, GBO!

dvhill100 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If on Broncos would he drive Peyton crazy?

Wouldn't drive Peyton crazy. He would simply tell CP if he ever wants to see the ball again, do it right.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to nocleats:

Bingo!

How do you know this? Were you stalking him? How else would you know other than he or his professors told you, which they wouldn't.

rockypop writes:

Given its recent five-year history, UT hasn't provided much incentive for elite players to stay. Since big-time college revenue sports are built to use its student athletes to generate money for the university, then if the university cannot provide adequate reasons for the elite athletes to stay in school, then why should they?

With all the coaching changes at UT, and these guys facing the challenge of learning a new system with new coaches, they surely see the possibility of losing whatever cache they had with NFL teams because of the possibility of regression next season.

I'm reminded of Brian Brohm, the Louisville quarterback who was considered to be the first QB to be selected in the draft following his Junior year. However, he elected to stay, play with a new coach and new system, and ended up being taken in the second round. And then never played in the NFL. His ultimate fate may not have changed had he been the first quarterback taken after his Junior season, but his wallet would have.

Another great example for this year is Matt Barkley, who went from Heisman Trophy favorite and sure No. 1 overall draft pick, to completely off the radar. Had he declared last year, he would have been no worse than the 3rd QB taken.

ETownVol writes:

in response to PabloMelton:

ROFLMAO!!!! Damn.. that was a good one.

silicon28 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

Ferguson is going to blow peoples' minds when he gets to campus - exactly like he did in Charlotte in High School... Get ready... He literally could be the next Tee Martin...

pcshowtime writes:

I hope brey stays Coach jones would be good for him. Coach jonse could still run his one back hurry up just use the baack as the main runner and let brey throw.

One suggestion CP go to your team meetings it is not like college classes optional. good luck

Tru138 writes:

in response to Witch__doctors:

Bones always lie

Weak weak weak weak weak.

Tru138 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.
((Jeopardy theme in background.))

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You've given the weakling something to aspire to.

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to silicon28:

Nahhh! I think Asiantii Woulard would have a better chance of doing that!

Supersayin1 writes:

Not trying to be a NegaVol guys, but I really don't think those other guys we have will be able to produce as many big time plays as CP,Hunter,Rivera,and Rodgers.

Yeah we have some guys but I wouldn't consider them as Big time Talent.

Every other WR with the exception of Croom is short and inexperience. I truly hope he stays at WR and not try out TE. We need his physicality there,I mean he could be the next Da'Rick minus the head issues.

We will never find another CP because they don't grow on trees.

Can the other guys be productive, maybe but they won't be game breakers. It seems we will have to rely more on our ground game which merans we need Derrick Green ASAP! Wide Reciever U will take a few steps back,and sit on the shelf until we can find our next Hunter,Da'Rick,Rivera,Stallworth,Price,and Swain.

We need to find a (I hate to say it) A Aaron Hernandez of Florida (Ewwww) or another Rivera at TE. We need a fast physical,Beastly TE,and the guys I 've seen us offer aren't even close to those types.

Sorry i just can't really get confident in small,short,inexperienced WR's.

I truly hope we can go after QB Asiantii Woulard because he can really help be that extra weapon we need on the Offense since it will take a significant step backwards next year.

Lets hope CBJ (the Butcher) can bring in some true top recruits at WR 6'3 and up should be the standard,and some top RB's that weigh more than 210lbs. Those 175-190lbs kids won't cut it int the SEC.

GO VOLS!! Support the Butcher Jones!!!

knoxville_born writes:

Is it common for a new coach to announce a junior is leaving before the player himself does so?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Nighthawk:

I was going to say the same thing. I figured I read ahead and see if anybody else noticed Carter. I was impressed. He looked like he ran routes well and he had reliable hands. Since he doesn't have the hype (like Z Rogers), I think he'll be the guy who really puts in the extra effort to excel (like Z Rogers).

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

Yeah we have some guys but I wouldn't consider them as Big time Talent.

We will never find another CP because they don't grow on trees.

Sorry i just can't really get confident in small,short,inexperienced WR's.

GO VOLS!! Support the Butcher Jones!!!

We do have a 6'5"/205 WR commit for this class (as of now). I know he's only a 3-star, but there are plenty of those who end up being very good (Tyler Bray and Mychal Rivera, for example).

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

scout.com 3-star, rivals.com 4-star. I don't see a 40 time though.

GburgOrange writes:

Good luck young man. We will reload.

claiborneh writes:

Right decision

claiborneh writes:

I predict both Hunter and Patterson will be successful in the NFL.
Patterson will be on ESPN highlights rookie season on returns, and gradually used like Randall Cobb. Hunter will have to develop more, and beef up. Bray will never be more than a bench player, but will be a third rounder because of his strong arm.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to knoxville_born:

Lyle handled this poorly. Players need to be able to trust that private conversations with their coach will remain private.

JDX47 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

Good luck to all of them! GBO!

The sad part of your post...next year will be a rebuilding year. After several of those, it is discouraging to face that reality. I guess we need to get ready for some more moral victories. I am hopeful that CBJ surprises the masses and pulls out some "signature wins" in year 1.

82cat writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Lack of speed on defense?

funny how folks forget that exact same group of defenders the year before were 26th in the country in total defense and no one ever mentioned they were slow.

It's hard to be fast when you and in most cases the coach don't know where you are going and who to cover.

Although I will agree we will miss the 3 players mentioned and speed is important.