Decision for UT, Jeronne Maymon looming

Senior, Cuonzo Martin to talk in January; redshirt possible

Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon (34) looks on from the bench as his team takes on Wichita State at Thompson-Boling Arena Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Jeronne Maymon

Jeronne Maymon

Hope slips with every limp.

With just 10 weeks remaining in Tennessee's 2012-13 men's basketball season, senior power forward Jeronne Maymon is still walking gingerly. His surgically repaired right knee looks about as game-ready as Stokley Athletics Center.

Thus, it's not only Christmas time for UT hoops. It's almost decision time.

"As we get into January, it's one of those deals where we'll sit down with Jeronne Maymon, the training staff, doctors and his family and make a decision," Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin said prior to Thursday's practice. He followed by confirming that a possible medical redshirt for Maymon has been discussed.

A redshirt would allow Maymon to return to UT for a fifth year in 2013-14.

"He's open to everything," Martin said. "One thing about Jeronne, he's a coachable guy. He wants to do what's best for the team. If that means coming back (for a redshirt season), he'll come back. We're trying to figure out what's best for Jeronne Maymon first and foremost, then our team."

On Dec. 11, UT director of compliance Todd Dooley confirmed to the News Sentinel that Maymon is eligible for a medical redshirt. No special NCAA waiver would be necessary.

Having transferred to UT from Marquette nine games into his freshman year in 2009-10, Maymon would be a fifth-year senior if he returns for 2013-14, thus complying with NCAA eligibility rules.

Maymon was UT's second-leading scorer (12.7 ppg) and leading rebounder (8.1 rpg) as a junior in 2011-12.

Martin said Maymon's remaining year of eligibility won't be cast aside if he can play in a few late-season games this season.

"I wouldn't bring him out if there's a month left in the season," Martin said. "I wouldn't do that to Jeronne."

Asked if there's a specific cut-off date for when it's worth using Maymon, Martin said, "I don't want to make a premature decision and give you a date. I'd just be lying at this point."

More Injury Updates: When freshman Derek Reese underwent shoulder surgery on Aug. 21 to repair a torn right labrum, the expected recovery time was approximately six months.

Four months later, Reese appears ready to go. The 6-foot-8 forward saw his first live, full-contact action in practice on Wednesday and Thursday. His shoulder is fully healed.

Asked if he's going to try to get Reese on the floor this season, Martin answered, "I think so. He's definitely close to getting there. Whether it's a week, two weeks, three weeks, I think he's there."

Senior forward Kenny Hall, who missed Tuesday's win over Presbyterian with a strained hamstring, practiced Wednesday and Thursday. He's expected to return tonight.

Meet the Catamounts: The Vols face Western Carolina tonight at Thompson-Boling Arena (TV: FSTN, 7 p.m.) in their final game before Christmas break. Led by guards Trey Sumler (15.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.1 apg) and Tom Tankelewicz (last two games: 11-of-19 3-pointers, 21.5 ppg), Western Carolina is 4-7 with losses to Georgetown, Wichita State and Illinois.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn s

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

budd#207344 writes:

Jeronne is such a class guy. Let him get his knee right and play next year. What a team! And I think it will help his pro chances as well

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

There is no doubt that this team needs Maymon to be a legit threat in the SEC. With that being said, we have a really youthful team and a heck of a class coming in next year. Maymon, Hubbs, Stokes (I think he'll be back...), will make for a really good team. I hope he redshirts, jmo.

HazardKYVol writes:

Sitting out this season would be a good choice. Make sure the knee heals properly. No point in taking a chance with his health.

underthehill writes:

Class guy for sure..hope he gets healthy and comes back next year..

Ironcity writes:

Well it looks like our team will be a lot better next year. I get the feeling Maymonn either needs microfracture surgery or at least another procedure that will allow him to be healthy next year. Good luck Jeronne, I bet this is the most frustrating thing you have ever gone through

brod writes:

this is not the news that we wanted to hear. a red-shirt may be on the way.

1vavolfan writes:

It would be unfair to Jeronne to play half a season at 75%, let him play all next year and let his draft stock improve. If Jeronne is redshirted Jarnell should also come back, he obviously is not ready for the NBA yet and there will be much less pressure on him down low with Maymon back. If we have Hubbs, Stokes, and a healthy Maymon the team should be a top 10 preseason team next year.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Take the redshirt.
No offense, but his team won't be doing anything all that special this season, the shooting is too weak. Plus, is Stokes can, he''l go pro and JM can fill that void.

Either way, though, don't waste him no a .500 season at best.

crappieking writes:

Take the redshirt Jerome. You will be at 100% next year.

in response to emailnodata:

Take the redshirt.

Either way, though, don't waste him no a .500 season at best.

I'm not yet as pessimistic about this year's team as you seem to be, but I agree with everybody that it would be better for Jeronne and next year's team to just shut him down for the rest of the season and at least get that issue off everybody's minds.

As for Stokes going pro, that will depend on what kind of advice he gets. The pros often draft a player on potential alone. For example, the McAdoo kid at UNC was said to be a sure-fire 1st-round pick if he had come out last year as a freshman. The kid only got meaningful minutes in about 10 games at the end of the season and only cracked double-digit scoring in less than half of them. If the pros rate Jarnell's skills and potential high enough, he could be drafted even without the great stats. On the other hand, he seems realistic enough to realize that he still has lots of room for improvement, such that another year in college would be good for him. Also, his parents are comfortably middle-class, so there is no compelling economic reason for him to go out before he is ready. But I guess we'll see.

John_10065 writes:

It would work well for Jeronne to get healthy and come in next season 100% in the paint with the real possibility of having a great players at the #1 or #2 spots with Hubbs and Golden. Get a true #5 to play opposite Jeronne at #4 and it will be a very good team. I think that Makanjuola is actually starting to come around and could fil tat role with anoher 20 lbs of muscle. Stokes might still stay a season or two, I have a feeling he is as much about an education as he is about being a player.

I could see these guys getting healthy and really turning on the gas the next couple years. They're a bit anemic on offense at times but things will change.

Basketvol writes:

I already accepted the fact that Maymon wouldn't play this year; that way I would be unexpectedly surprised if he did play. Looks like a red-shirt year is in his future and this is probably the best decision. Like JohnLG, I'm also not as pessimistic about this team as some. I understand the problems this team has but I don't understand why so many people think this team can't overcome these challenges and make the tournament. Regarding Stokes, I agree with the person who thinks Stokes values education. For that reason alone, I think he will be back next year. Not to mention he probably needs another year, and as the other poster mentioned, there is no financial urgency pressuring him to go pro. I hope we beat UK at Rupp (and I think we can too), but if we don't, Stokes will have to stay based on his declaration that he will win at Kentucky. Let's hope that happens repeatedly.

John_10065 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John,

Stokes is pretty sharp academically. He had a 4.0 when he graduated HS early. I am sure a degree is part of the equation for him also. If he isn't guaranteed a multi-million dollar payday to leave early, it might not be enough for him just to go pro.

He might be one of those players that goes 4 years, graduates then has a decent pro-career before being successful afterwards.

Basketvol writes:

They should change this headline; it is misleading.

"He wants to do what's best for the team. If that means coming back, he'll come back," out of context makes it sounds like Cuonzo would have Maymon back if it was best for the team, regardless of the consequences to his knee, his professional future, and so on.

When you add the next line, "We're trying to figure out what's best for Jeronne Maymon first and foremost, then our team," you get the complete opposite (and accurate) picture of the situation.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor noticed him limping around during the last game on the sidelines. Witch Doctor say use the red shirt. Witch Doctor say plus with Hubbs and Golden..wow..this year eh ? maybe 15-20 games and NIT maybe NCAA.
Bones never lie.

in response to John_10065:

John,

Sounds good to me. Of course, as a Vol basketball fan, I hope selfishly that he will stay for a full college career. I have heard talk from long-time observers of the NBA that if a guy is identified as a potential pro as a freshman or sophomore, he should go then instead of staying in school. One article cited statistics that seemed to show that guys like that who stayed were actually drafted lower than they were projected to go a year or two earlier. It sounds kinda screwy to me, since it would surely seem that the added maturity, phyical and mental/emotional, would be an asset for playing productively in the "big boys' league". Anyway, it is out of our hands. We'll just have to see how it goes.

wigmeister writes:

I hope he red shirts. Will be better for him to play at 100% health. He, Stokes, and our other Seniors to be will make for a strong team in 13/14, especially with the strong recruits coming in.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Just one look at the picture tells you why we need him so much.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I think it's good he can redshirt. Good for the team and Maymon as well. The scouts probably still are wanting to see him healthy and how he produces accordingly.

I think we will be fine this year with Reese coming back and maybe Miller. Plus Makan is looking much better.

traderjoe writes:

Screw basketball. Jerome needs to become a tight end for the football team. He'd have a promising future if he did.

Ironcity writes:

in response to John_10065:

Having all those players will be great but maybe the best thing we will have next year is a true back up PG who can actual play at a high level in the SEC so Golden doesn't have to play 35 minutes and break all presses by himself.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to John_10065:

Good post..;No chance Maymon returns but with Maymon;Hubbs;Stokes;Golden and McRae we will be very good next year

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Personally, I think Maymon would be a very iffy draft prospect if he doesn't come back for another year. That of course assumes he can't make it back for meaningful contributions later this year. But I have been wrong in assessing players' draft prospects before. I like your projected starting lineup for next year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Maymon to redshirt and also for Stokes to return. I'm still not giving up on this year's group, though.

climberNeeds2workATwendys writes:

the mention of Reese coming back soon is great news.He was playing very good just before his injury.His size will be helpful just incase Maymon will not be back this year.Next year this team could be very dangerous..alot of expericened depth at all positions plus a few good freshman added to the mix.

Southland writes:

I hope his knee gets better period. I wished he was back now. This team is one ugly tea. If they can just barely beat the pitiful little teams they have been playing it is going to be ugly in the SEC even with the SEC down in talent. Hoping they can find some offense. Hoping for the best

in response to climberNeeds2workATwendys:

It's always to have another healthy body in the mix, but, IIRC, Reese is another somewhat slender 6'5" to 6'7" type, of which the Vols have several, thus not likely to be much help in the post. I have heard that he is a good shooter which would certainly be a help.

WackyBadger writes:

You are all clueless about this kid and his horrendous father: http://expressmilwaukee.com/mobile/bl...