Lady Vols 'very optimistic' of Harrison's return for Stanford

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2012 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Isabelle Harrison is pressured by Alcorn State's Rosemane Ambrose, left, and Tierro Frost on Sunday, November 25, 2012. Tennessee defeats Alcorn State 90-37 at Thompson-Boling Arena. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Bashaara Graves on Stanford and Christmas break

Isabelle Harrison

Isabelle Harrison

Tennessee's Isabelle Harrison spent Thursday's team practice either stretched out on a trainer's table or on the sideline, receiving treatment for a sprained right ankle.

Apparently this has been time well spent for the sophomore center.

Both Lady Vols head coach Holly Warlick and Jenny Moshak, the associate director of sports medicine, are hopeful that Harrison will return for a women's basketball game against No. 1 Stanford on Saturday at Thompson-Boling Arena (TV: SportSouth, MyVLT, 4 p.m.). The 6-foot-3 Harrison suffered the injury last Sunday versus Texas and missed Tuesday's 76-53 loss at No. 3 Baylor.

"I think the chances of having her for Saturday are a lot better than for Baylor," Warlick said. "Baylor was a long shot. I'm very, very optimistic we will have her."

Harrison's presence would help since Stanford's front-court starters — Chiney Ogwumike, Joslyn Tinkle and Mikaela Ruef — all stand 6-3.

Jasmine Phillips, meanwhile, will not play Saturday. Warlick said that the sophomore guard's ongoing absence remains a coach's decision, but Warlick also conceded that Phillips isn't fully healthy. Moshak said that Phillips has had issues lately with her right hip flexor.

Phillips hasn't played since Nov. 25 against Alcorn State. She missed two games while getting her academics in order but completed her first-semester requirements.

Nell on Wheels: Former Auburn coach Nell Fortner, who coached the 2000 U.S. Olympic women's team, is bringing her Game-Day show — Nell on Wheels — to Knoxville. She will set up in Arena Dining on Saturday and the show will take place 2:30-3:15 p.m. before the Stanford-UT game. Former Lady Vols assistant coach Mickie DeMoss will be on hand.

Fortner said that she's using this season as a test pilot for the show — which depends on fan response.

"It lives on social media; it's not on TV," she said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Theo writes:

That is great news. Hope the LVs have had a chance to digest the tape of the Baylor game. Should really be a great learning experience. Expect a much more competitive game. I really like this team and know they are going to make us proud this year.
Well I guess all the negative jerks can now jump on here and bash Holly, Meghan, Taber, and on and on and on. I'm glad all these posters knew everything about basketball at age 18-19.
Onward and Upward - Love these LVs!

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

I hope that Coach Warlick takes a good look at Stanford's game against South Carolina. South Carolina was able to really shut down the usually efficient Stanford offense. South Carolina and Tennessee's defense are both disruptive and force turnovers, but Tennessee usually causes turnovers with on the ball pressure and South Carolina caused the turnovers with their pass disruption. If we can play 75% of the defense that South Carolina played in their game and match that with our usual offense I think we have a really good chance in this game.

voloffaith writes:

More optimistic than I was for Baylor....but I still think Stanford +10 margin of victory.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Not very optimistic if you think Stanford is going to win by double digits.

Lady Vols win at home 76-68! Go Lady Vols!

ModelMaker writes:

Lets just say I am really looking forward to Stanford coming in here; and if I got this bunch of Lady Vols figured right I think they will be really looking forward to them coming in here to.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Reporters were asking tough questions for Basharra. She handled it well for a freshman but you can tell she is ready to be home with family and playing the #1 team after #3 is not idea. I can see where UT tried to make this schedule a NCAA tourney style scenario and this will be a good learning experience. Look at the other top teams schedule. UGA in particular. Not one rated team other than GTech played so far. UT has like 7 when they play them and we will beat them soundly. UT has the toughest schedule in the country and we are playing mostly froshs and sophs. The future looks bright. I would like to see UConn added back to our schedule. I think that would make a lot of ppl happy and will elevate women's bball to another level. Recruiting will get better if girls see UT on tv playing Baylor, Stanford, ND, UNC, and yes Uconn. UT doesn't back down to no team. GBO

in response to ladyvolsfan789:

I agree that the LVs should find much food for thought in looking at that Stanford-USCe tape. The Baylor game tape should just be burned. That game was not nearly typical of what this LV team is capable of. Still, beating Stanford will be a tall order, since they are, IIRC, the only team to beat Baylor this year. Even so, I am sure the LVs will look more like themselves against Stanford than they did against Baylor. Sure hope Izzy is up to speed.

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Maybe the boycott of UConn will end now that Pat is retired. On the other hand, Holly may not feel right about going against Pat's wishes in this. Since the LVs play darn near everybody else that is any good in the country anyway, the continued absence of UConn from the schedule is not such a big deal.

r2d2 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree with your comments. The LVs play enough tough teams other than UCONN. Although, I wish they could add Duke or Maryland to their schedule. They should not add UCONN as long as Pat is living. It would be an insult to her legacy.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to r2d2:

Or as long as Geno is coaching uconn, whichever!