Ex-Georgia aides have key UT task

Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez (David Johnson/Chattanooga Times Free Press)

Photo by David Johnson/Chattanooga Times Free Press

KNOXVILLE — Willie Martinez and John Jancek are reversing roles at Tennessee.

Now it's up to the pair of former Georgia assistant coaches to reverse the fortune of a broken Volunteers defense.

Three years after they were fired in Athens, Jancek and Martinez have reunited in different roles on new coach Butch Jones' first staff in Knoxville. They face the task of repairing a Tennessee defense that this season was historically the program's worst.

"Let's be realistic: We've got some challenges," Jancek said Thursday afternoon inside the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex, where most of Jones' staff met with the media for the first time. "But I love our players' attitudes, at least the guys that I've met with up to this point. They're positive.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

trubleoj#657755 writes:

hold your space on the blocks, break on the ball and wrap up.

pingkr62 writes:

Recruit, and sign as much speed as possible for the defensive secondary. That, along with the defense returning to the 4-3 scheme, and we should be fine. G.B.O.!!!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

This rebuilding project is going to take a few years unfortunately because Dooley always wanted to switch to the 3-4 D so he recruited bigger LB's and DB's but that failed because they are slower even though they're stronger and hit harder.

Now CBJ and staff have to start all over from scratch to recruit 4-3 D players which means more speed and faster footwork and better athletes.

In the meantime we just have to do the best we can with the players we have now even though most of them were recruited by CDD for a different system and the same is true on the O side of the ball.

I honestly believe that in 3 or 4 years we're really going to love what CBJ puts on the field and the old FEAR of having to face our Vols will be back in a big way.

As we get more Wins then the top recruits will start looking at us closer again but it's going to take a few years like it or not.

Now is the time for all real Tennessee fans to UNITE, support our program and learn to be patient for once in our lives.

This time we have some really good coaches that know what they're doing instead of guessing as they go.

I'm already JONESin for some Tennessee smashmouth, slobberknocking football!

VFL...GBO!!!

VolGrad writes:

Vonn Bell, S, Ridgeland HS, Rossville GA

Reel 'em in!!!

6972 writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

I'm already JONESin for some Tennessee smashmouth, slobberknocking football!

VFL...GBO!!!

I couldn't agree more.

BrassMonkey writes:

How did we let Auburn get Garner?

volgrog#210164 writes:

The problem I saw with Martinez's defenses were that they were SOFT. They didn't want to hit anyone. Hopefully, Jancek's mindset on D is tougher than Martinez.

CarlChilders writes:

Let's be realistic. Giving up 34+ points only 5 times would be a notable improvement.

manning_berry_special_player1614 writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Vonn Bell, S, Ridgeland HS, Rossville GA

Reel 'em in!!!

LIKE ill take bridges also....what a beast of a young man he is also

AllforTenn writes:

Watched two games on the flight from Cincinnati to Knoxville? In fast forward mode?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CarlChilders:

That is sad but true, and shows how unappreciated and undervalued Wilcox was..Hopefully these guys can take their bad experiences from UGA and understand the mistakes they made and learn from them..GBO!!

Rugby2 writes:

in response to trubleoj#657755:

hold your space on the blocks, break on the ball and wrap up.

I was watching a program on the NFL network about some high school in Washington, DC and the new head coach for the team was a former graduate and NFL linebacker Cato June. A segment showed him teaching tackling to a couple of players and his technique did not include wrapping up. Just throw the shoulder into the ball carrier. I know I played a long time ago, but the wrap up was the key to a good tackle. No wonder tackling is so poor at all levels of football. Former NFL linebackers don't believe in the wrap up.

Give Blood Play Rugby

JimmyJoe writes:

No where to go but up!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

How did we let Auburn get Garner?

**assmonkey, you are a troll. do not say we. you are no Vol fan

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rugby2:

Give Blood Play Rugby

Or, just play fb without helmet/pads..Heck, in my hood playing basketball was a very physical game that sent many people to the ER..Just sayin'

totoiv writes:

I know this is not a popular thing to do in a big time Divison I school. But, I would sign 6-8 junior college players. Coaches don't like them because they are only here two years, but we need experience players especially on defense.

6972 writes:

in response to totoiv:

Randolph and Coleman are Soph.
Gordon, Moore, and Brewer are all Jrs.
McNeil and Gray are both Freshman.

Let's hope all these guys improve and become the experienced defense that we need in the secondary. The secondary has to improve if our record is to improve. Spring practice and August 2 a days could reshape them playing the 4-3.

Ironcity writes:

in response to volgrog#210164:

Martinez guys at UGA hit but they played bend and don't break. They were not ever attacking. Next year I think you will see a lot of that from UT and Jancek. I think you will UT try to keep everything in front of them, stop the big play. It will be frustrating but like the Wilcox defenses, at the end of the year we will be significantly better then we thought we were and significantly better then we were this year.

One thing I liked that I heard from Jancek is their will be a focus on tackling. Last years team was the worst fundamental tackling team in UTs history. That has to change if we are to compete.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Ironcity:

UT hasn't had good tackling technique since Donahue was the DC..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Martinez just got a verbal from a db, it appears he was one of his recruits from Aubie..Good job coach.

calvolfromkingsport writes:

Can only hope that these guys do better with the Vols than they did at Uga and AU. No doubt Uga and AU fans are loving this and having quite a few snickers.

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

ColdNose

In your neighborhood, I would imagine that playing anything would be a very physical game that would send many people <ahem> to the ER igloo. Btw, you been seeing any elves shuffling around up there, lately??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

ColdNose

Anything that gets close to my range of smell is dead meat..That includes elves, reindeer, seals, beluga whales, etc..

nocleats writes:

in response to Rugby2:

Give Blood Play Rugby

Would rather look good(big shoulder macho hit) and lose, as to play fundamental wrap up non macho and win.. Its all about their image with some of these guys.

Rugby2 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Making the ESPN nightly highlights are the priority for the players. I was surprised to see that a Pro was teaching such poor technique. Maybe I shouldn't be, the pro's don't tackle either. They do hit violently, but no wrap. Technique needs to be taught at the youth level, from what I have seen here in Florida, it isn't.

Give Blood Play Rugby

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

just as long as you stay clear of cats, we cool

justafan4ut writes:

They can take the big linebackers and make DE'
s out of them. We used to do that quite fequently.

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

I'm already JONESin for some Tennessee smashmouth, slobberknocking football!

VFL...GBO!!!

I agree with you and with a good strength and conditioning program we can slim some of those DB's down a bit and make them faster as well. Change up the defensive packages a bit and involve those big ole boys and wreak havoc. Like you said it may take a bit, but any improvement over last year is way better. VFL GBO!!

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to calvolfromkingsport:

Not if their smart. Anytime you fire someone and then they get a chance to get even..it's reason for concern. I bet they already have UGA marked on their calendars. Nothing like a few coaches with a grudge...I can't wait.