Tennessee Vols await Bray, Patterson plans

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) passes the ball in the game against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE — New Tennessee football coach Butch Jones is just another person in the crowd when it comes to three Volunteers juniors' decisions regarding the NFL draft.

After meeting with two of them during his first week on the job last week, Jones has had little involvement in that process.

The expectation inside the Vols' program long has been that receivers Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson and quarterback Tyler Bray would enter the draft instead of staying for their senior season, but only Hunter has made any announcement publicly. He stated his choice to declare for the draft via Twitter this week.

"I've pretty much been just like everyone else in what I've heard," Jones said during a 50-minute interview with the Times Free Press in his office late Friday morning. "I've tried to meet with them and give them my opinion and my thoughts. It's hard because obviously we haven't been here through the years to earn that trust, but I tried to be an individual who could bounce some ideas off and give them a couple of ideas here and there.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

We're waiting..

Razor784 writes:

They're gone, why is this even an article.

GerryOP writes:

I wonder why they refuse to even talk with Coach Jones?

rkastens writes:

Wow... is this still being talked about? Must be a slow news day.

graphpro#231211 writes:

It takes more than a strong arm to be a winner and Bray doesn't have those things. Go else where and grow up. There's still time to make something of yourself. You better hurry and start immediately.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say its called "Dramatic effect". lol
Bones never lie.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Kind of a personal thing with you isn't it?
Clearly...............

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say its called "Dramatic effect". lol
Bones never lie.

No doubt, I'd like to hear CP's GPA read aloud by the Chancellor..Cordarrelle Patterson: 0.00..Shall I call the NFL and declare you completely available for the draft?

GerryOP writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

And a Merry Christmas to you too!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Witch Doctor say only thing clear about this is youre a passive aggressive girl that clearly never played or understands "Sports". Witch Doctor say also might want to look up the word "Loser" before using it again. ..makes you look dumb.
Bones never lie.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Uhhh, he put up great numbers against UGA and USCe, decent numbers against UF so that only leaves Bama, and even in a loss they didn't surrender points to anybody.

wigmeister writes:

It has been all over the National Media that they are going to the NFL. This is already old news. Thank them for their contributions while they were here and let us get on with life.

volbob writes:

No question both could use another year to develop...or mature. Disagree with the poster who says Bray routinely chokes in big games - just look at 2012 stats. CP would greatly benefit from another year to learn routes better. Disagree with the writer that Big Dan was made for the 3-4 ; I think the opposite, that he is better suited for a 4-3 where there is additional pressure from the tackles. Whatever...we're all searching constantly for any news. It's a long time till September...
GBO

signalcorps writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

true...some kids are head cases he's one,,,I say let the pros deal with him.....

fan_for_life writes:

If these three go to the NFL draft It will take an excellent job by Coach Jones to get UT VOLS to a bowl game in 2013. Could be 7 losses.
Badly need help through recruiting.

HtownVol writes:

I wont talk the trash about Bray thatnotfun did but what I could not stand to see was the change we all saw in Bray.

Remember the Music City Bowl? Bray wanted that win.Remember when he cried??

Two years later UT is losing in the 4th qtr and Bray is on the sideline dancing. This season he was all games even in big losses. The QB should NEVER be dancing when his team is losing.

Patterson, I want him back because he is the most electric player I have seen at UT in the last 10-15 years BUT... TWO "showboating" penalties in two weeks. Come on man!!

Hunter, I think he is the easiest to replace (not saying he will be) I got very tired of seeing him play not to get hurt.

GO VOLS

PS, we need to start signing the top talent..PLEASE

GerryOP writes:

in response to fan_for_life:

Badly need help through recruiting.

Awww, c'mon man! Let's not start hanging the black crepe already! If we can come up with a half-way decent running game, and we almost had that this year, and if we have a QB that can do more than just "fling" the ball, no way I can go with 7 losses. Don't forget, all of the teams we play next year have a replacement job to do too. That's the mystery and beauty of college football ... it changes every year!

Let's wait and see what we have and wait and see what our opponents have before we start predicting Ws & Ls for next year. Dang dude, half of Oregon could slide into the ocean between now and then!

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to fan_for_life:

Badly need help through recruiting.

I agree! But I honestly don't think we make it a bowl game next year.

I know coaching goes a long way, but you also to have the talent to go with it.

We are losing our best talent and chance at a bowl game next year.

Western Kentucky is starting to look like the Troy game or worst, being that we are losing the guys who barely beat Troy,and will be playing a better team than Troy who will have an even better coach next year.

So we are expecting to beat a Team that was better than Troy with less talent than what we had to beat Troy next year. Thats kinda scary!!

I tried to visualize the guys we have winning more games without our top guys and I just can't realistically see it!

signalcorps writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Kind of a personal thing with you isn't it?
Clearly...............

what is personal is throwing beer bottles at a girls car,,,what if she had came up when they were there,,,under age drinking,,,I think something bad could have happen......I have young female love ones....

signalcorps writes:

in response to wigmeister:

agree,,,,,GO VOLS

Hound_Dog69 writes:

If their going to stay great! If not they need to make it official and not be a distraction to the team or recruiting!!

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

Losing Zack Rogers to graduation is a far greater loss than Hunter. I couldn't care less to see rocket arm go. Worley might have the stuff to develop like the QB's at Ala. and Ga. But who knows? Patterson is the most regretable loss just because he was so entertaining to watch.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Patrick,
these guys have declared. They just didn't bother calling you and 25 other journalists to say farewell.

UTKin1992 writes:

Patterson must go. He'd be stupid to stay when he's clearly ready for the NFL. Besides, several of you here mentioned - truthfully or not - that his academics were...nonexistent.

Bray is a loose cannon gunslinger without any degree of maturity. For us, I hope he goes. We'd be better off without him. For him and his future, he'd been stupid to go pro when he's clearly not close to an NFL quality QB yet. Furthermore, I believe he's a bad apple and influences the team negatively, providing no leadership whatsoever.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Patterson is such an entertaining player.

Really wish UT had him for his entire career.

N2TheVOLS writes:

There is a thread over on Volnation that CP is trying to stay. Anybody else heard this rumor? Would be great if he stayed for one more year.

manniesghost1903 writes:

I fully expected Bray and Hunter to leave at the end of this year before Patterson ever signed his letter on intent to come to UT. However, while both Bray and Hunter appear to have NFL talent, they are going to have to have an exceptional performance in the combines to even make consideration in the second round. I have heard Patterson's pursuit of academics has left a lot to be desired. I don't know if that is fact or fiction but I do know his speed is offset by the appearance of a lack of discipline. Right now Patterson may have a lot of work to make up in either the classroom or the combines regardles of his decision.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I wonder why they refuse to even talk with Coach Jones?

Thats not what I got from the article...didnt say anything about "refusing to talk"...I can understand why they would limit their talks to a all new staff...

volforeverandever writes:

Patterson has not been going to class.Coach Jones has said he is gone a week ago.No word from Patterson but it looks like he has no intention of trying to stay.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Let em go! They don't want to be here. Focus on the ones that do!

Go Vols!

govolsgo8586 writes:

Didn't Jones already announce CP is going to the Draft and didn't somebody on here just report that Bray is going to enter the Draft. I am telling you they are starting to reach for content to write about now. It shouldn't be that hard to find content we have a whole new coaching staff. These are the same people who were so off base on who was candidates for the HC position. This is some of the laziest reporting I have seen here lately. Lets just slap a story together that contradicts what we just reported and submit it.

claiborneh writes:

Text from Patterson to Butch Jones:
Mr. Jones, I forgot to tell you I'm going to the NFL. Do you have any last minute persuasion that I might consider worth risking ripping out my knee before I sign a multi million dollar contract?

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to signalcorps:

notfun didn't care one bit about Bray throwing a beer bottle. He is on here only to get under the real Vol fans skin

Vol_in_Mich writes:

What would you experts do? Go to the NFL even if you are a 5th round clipboard holder & still make more money than anyone here or stay another year at a school where half the fans think you are a sorry POS & most of the other half want you ran out of town on a rail? No brainer.
Someone said the biggest thing the new staff has to overcome is the UT fan base. Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

GBO - Give em heII Butch!

pcorange writes:

Stupid article. Everybody knows they're gone, no need to wait or an official announcement.

SouthDakotaBob writes:

Since when is a huge defensive lineman not a good fit for the 4-3??? A year in the weight room will be good for McCullers. GBO!!!

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Text from Patterson to Butch Jones:

Txt reply to Mr. Patterson,

No, not me personally. But, a few boosters got together and purchased a $15,000,000 Lloyds of London disability policy in your mom's name, just in case.

What's her favorite color Mercedes, by the way?

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I wonder why they refuse to even talk with Coach Jones?

Because they are A**holes. Bray at least, I kind of like Patterson. Bray is a loser. He needs to go to the NFL, the Browns would be good for him. They are used to losing.

movol53 writes:

If CP would go to the classroom and take care of business there and play next year he would be the go to guy and with all the all purpose yards he could rack up he could win the Heisman. I know you think I'm crazy but he was sharing the ball with others this year next year will be a development year for the skill position players on the offense. We will be in need of offense next year; we will have one of the best offensive lines in football an little else for offense. Our best running back plays defense (#45).

Moesart writes:

It's very inconsiderate and unprofessional of them to make UT wait for a decision. GTFO of Knoxville already then, you ungrateful brats.

Prostar writes:

You wonder why they're not talking to Coach Jones, it's because they are not in town. Classes are out for Christmas Break and they have gone home for the holidays.

Rockytopfan96 writes:

We are really gonna miss Tyler!! Well at least me:(

6972 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

We're waiting..

After last week, I thought it was a done deal. Guess I assumed they were both gone....and you know what they say about assumptions......what they give birth to....

FanNotSheep writes:

I hope the next young man who quarterbacks UT's offense will have great success and I hope Tyler Bray will succeed in the NFL. I think too many people judge these guys without knowing them. I have never spoken to Tyler but I have watched a great many guys play his position at UT and only saw one play it better. He is now the best to ever play the position in the NFL as well.

Young men age 19 or 20 do not live and breathe the game 24 hours a day. They have lives outside of football; classes, girls, family, video games, etc. They devote much of their lives to the game and put their bodies in harm's way for the school that in return gives them an education. Some fans act as if they should be as accountable as the coaches who as adults are paid millions to do a job. Do you remember being that age? Did you feel the happiness of hundreds of thousands of people was your responsibility? Did you line up across from 300-pound defenders intent on inflicting bodily harm on you? If not, why not follow this advice instead of playing God: Judge not, lest you be judged.

jphilli5#240013 writes:

I want Bray gone. bye bye...he was nothing but a cancer for Mr. Dooey and the rest of the team.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to jphilli5#240013:

Funny thing. I personally know two former Vols who played with Bray and neither felt this way. I also know people who, through their college student children, hear lots of feedback from current players -- and they all like Tyler Bray. Many did not like Dooley. I've heard comments like, "He wouldn't let coaches coach," and "He tried to do everything himself." Also that he was more concerned with keeping his job than coaching up his players.

So not buying the locker room cancer thing -- at all.

jphilli5#240013 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

So not buying the locker room cancer thing -- at all.

I stand corrected. I did not realize they were so cohesive as a team. I just know what I saw on Saturdays. Sorry for expressing a falsehood, if I did so. In fact they looked as cohesive as the 98 National Champs, as I reconsider my post. Meanwhile yall can have tghis mindless babble. Shoot at the other teams not our own fans, please. I will continue to read these articles and comments, but rest assured I will never post on here again. Go Vols. UT 75' &79'.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I wonder why they refuse to even talk with Coach Jones?

The cream of the crop of the dumbest fan base in America continues to rear it's ugly head and feed at the trough here at GVX.

"Jones said he met face-to-face with Hunter and Bray last week and received a text message from Hunter this week and "played phone tag" with others this week."

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

So not buying the locker room cancer thing -- at all.

The only cancer on this team was fired several weeks ago and should have lost his job after the Kentucky game last year.

Anyone who thinks that Bray, Hunter, and Patterson being gone makes this team better is a fool.

All three are extremely gifted athletes and better than anything Jones now has left to work with.

The key for Jones is going to be actually trying to coach the team to be better instead of coaching for his own backside like Dooley did for three years.

Couchdummy writes:

Most major university fans are awaiting decisions by star football players on whether tey will go into the draft! It is part of the business, so quit trying to create a dramatic short story. Whatever will be will be, as the song goes, so enjoy the Christmas season and let the football season clock tick on! If you must worry, then worry about something important! Merry Christmas!