Vols' Butch Jones disputes talk of riding on Brian Kelly's successes

Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones talks with the media during a press conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE — Nobody knows if Butch Jones will succeed or fail at Tennessee.

What is known about the Volunteers' new football coach is his success with lower-tier programs at Central Michigan and Cincinnati the past six seasons.

He has a better track record than Tennessee's previous two head coaches. A longtime assistant at Southern California, Lane Kiffin paired a 5-15 record with a messy end as coach of the NFL's Oakland Raiders. Derek Dooley, previously a Southeastern Conference and NFL assistant, was 17-20 in three seasons as Louisiana Tech's head coach.

Jones is 50-27 as a head coach, and he's noted his four outright or shared conference titles in those six seasons in seemingly every interview the past 19 days.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press

albert63 writes:

First, who?

SevenT writes:

The question on everyone's mind....

Is Butch Jones an upgrade over Dooley?

Strap writes:

If coach Jones can be playing for a national championship in his forth year at Tennessee, then thank God for coattails!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to SevenT:

The question on everyone's mind....

Is Butch Jones an upgrade over Dooley?

"Every" one's mind? Don't generalize troll.

No kid, the question is..........are you an upgrade over the other trolls?

voloffaith writes:

in response to albert63:

First, who?

grade again.............Hey Hey Hey slim albert...had to be pc...not...any way line leader starting in 2013 is all yours as you delight in firstees.....

on topic, every coach inherits from predecessor...just depends what was in the basket...

SouthDakotaBob writes:

Good to have an experienced offensive line though. GBO!!!!

Hound_Dog69 writes:

Is chip Kelly riding on Mike Bellotti's success at Oregon , or david shaw riding on Harbaugh's success at Stanford, or are they just a great coaches? Only a so called UT fan site would run such a dumb article trying to run down,and embarrass the new coach of their team! CBJ has proven himself a great coach at CM and UC, most of the starters,and assitant coaches left UC when CBK left, leaving CBJ with a bunch of underclassmen with little or no playing time, and a new assistant coaches!

ARANGEVOL writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Correct and one has to wonder if jones is really aware of what he has here.

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

The more I read and listen to CBJ the more I like him! I think he will do a great job for the Volunteers, give this man time and we will see competitive teams playing for championships!

GO VOLS!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to ARANGEVOL:

Correct and one has to wonder if jones is really aware of what he has here.

DUHHH.....you know you are probably right he just took the job blindly unaware of player scenarios, and current situations all on a whim..............d arangevol that was an insight where you built on bama man's thoughts...funny how we sell an individual short on ability to assess when he has been HC at two institutions already........

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

"Every" one's mind? Don't generalize troll.

No kid, the question is..........are you an upgrade over the other trolls?

He may be a troll, seems so, but in this instance I think his question is a fair one

voldog70 writes:

in response to david_light_38230#225602:

GO VOLS!!

I agree 100%. Everyone seems to think that the new coaching staff has gotten off to a great start. We the fans, also need to get get off to a great start and show our support for the team and Butch Jones and pack Neyland Stadium for the Orange and White Game!!
In 1986, UT had a promotion to set a record for attendance for the Orange and White and over 73,000 attended. I would like to see that record broken.

voloffaith writes:

in response to voldog70:

Will the masses come even with a good promo if the star players have mostly vacated(offensive side of the ball)?

manning_berry_special_player1614 writes:

it is what it is..that said i like what hes doing and saying off the field so far now lets get with what hes trying to do and bye in vol fans its going to be nice just to go bowling again

usafvol writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Losing Hunter and Patterson will hurt but not that much. Both were good players but by no means great. Zach Rogers has better hands and more heart than both Hunter and Patterson. Kinda glad Patterson is gone, he's a "look at me" player and those TD's that were called back because of his ignorance were inexcusable.

usafvol writes:

I'm starting to like this guy more and more. He has confidence and I think the players will respect him more so that Dooley. I think this may be the best hire we could have made but only time will tell. Ordered my season tickets and just waiting on Sept to get here.. Happy Holidays Vol fans!

BigBadVol writes:

in response to usafvol:

I'm with you. This coach gets what it means to be a Vol. I hope and pray CBJ is our coach for the next 20 years. That would mean we had great success lead by a man that wants to be here. VFL!

voldog70 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Only player I would place in the star column would be Patterson, I think Hunter played scared last year and I don't blame him, Bray had great numbers at times but not against most of the SEC teams. I was soured on Bray after the UK game in Lexington.

I usually attend the Orange and White Game, but if I didn't I would attend this year to see the battle between Worley and Peterman.

pcorange writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

What Jones is inheriting is a football team that has been outcoached ever since they've been here. How many times have we gone in the locker room in good shape at halftime under Dooley and then got blown away in the second half? Dooley was a terrible head coach, and Jones will have his work cut out getting these guys heads right again. I think he understands that fully and seems to be up to the task.

Great article by the TFP.

traderjoe writes:

I hope CJ and staff are not sitting around eating turkey. Here's what Auburn's new coach just did...

Auburn inks top JUCO offensive lineman
Posted by John Taylor on December 25, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Getty ImagesNot so surprisingly, Auburn found a very big — and talented — junior college gift underneath its tree Christmas morning.

In a release, AU announced that JUCO offensive lineman Devonte Danzey has signed a Letter of Intent and will be a member of the Tigers’ 2013 recruiting class. Danzey spent this past season at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College and will have three years of eligibility remaining

Pompey writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

...say what you will but the fact is if Dooley had hired anyone but Sal we would be talking about Dooleys conract extension.....!

therightstuff writes:

I suppose that Belincheck rides the coat tails of what Parcells did in New England before him. Hmmm, Jimmy Johnson rode the coat tails of Tom Landry at Dallas. Oh yeah, Fulmer at Tennessee, too. Muschamp at Florida riding Myers? Wow, did Gruden ride Dungys coat tails at Tampa? Did Dungy ride on Moras? Miles riding Sabans at LSU? Funny thing coaches are always following another coach.....always...unless a new franchise. Get off the coat tail riding talk and support the new coach of the University of Tennessee Volunteers.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to SevenT:

The question on everyone's mind....

Is Butch Jones an upgrade over Dooley?

A better question....why does Kentucky pretend to field a football team every year?

OrangePride writes:

I will admit it...I was very skeptical of this hire and CBJ was definitely not the home run hire for which I thought I was looking. But after watching and listening over these last few weeks, I'm beginning to think it is much closer to a home run than I originally thought. I'm anxious to see just how he and our VOLS compete over these next few years. Honestly, I'm not really expecting a lot in this year's recruiting class, so next year will likely be another struggle for SEC wins. BUT....my big hope is we will no longer be outcoached in every game and not field the worst defenses (or offenses) in a century! THAT will be a big step in the right direction. And who knows, CBJ might surprise us (and everyone else) and win some games no one expects.

Tru138 writes:

in response to SevenT:

The question on everyone's mind....

Is Butch Jones an upgrade over Dooley?

Since you are "a Tennessee fan except on the last game of the year when Tennessee and Kentucky play," (your words), I'm sure the answer to your own question is "I sure hope so."

bpcarman writes:

Let me start by saying I'm a Bama fan. My oldest son is one of you guys, a VFL. That being said, I have watched with much interest your recent search\ hire.In my humble opinion, the two things that hurt a program the most are lack of coaching continuity and a divided fan base. To make this as short as possible let me say this, you guys need to get behind this guy. He's a winner. The last time I paid any attention to a hire from another school was when LSU hired Saban. If you go back and read those interviews, I think the similarities are amazing. You guys made by far the best hire of anyone in my opinion. Just offering my unsolicited opinion here, if you guys will get behind this coach 110 %, he will get you there. Dooley was a nice guy but sadly, nice guys don't win in the SEC. It takes a hard nosed s.o.b. that will accpet nothing less then excellence. I believe you have that guy. Looking forward to seeing you back at the top of the mountain. Now let the flaming begin. RTR.

usafvol writes:

in response to bpcarman:

Great post and thanks Bama fan. I agree and think this guy was a steal for us. Good luck against the Irish..

ClearVol writes:

in response to Hound_Dog69:

Agree. Why are we looking for things to complain about before the guy even gets settled in? Just like his comments on Hiring the best staff in the country? Why spend the time and energy arguing with a good positive comment meant to build up expectations.... quit whining and get behind your team..
GBO

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to Pompey:

The facts remains that he did hire Sal and he did get fired thankfully.

I also think he burned enough bridges with boosters and staff in the AD that the only way he would have gotten a contract extension was by an SECCG appearance.

bpcarman writes:

in response to usafvol:

Thank you Sir. I think at the end of the day, we should all pull for the SEC. Especially the way the rest of the country hates us all for kicking their butts during bowl season. The Bama\ UT rivalry is alot more fun when both teams are playing well. Now for some unfinished business with that leprechaun...

JonGrudensAgent writes:

Jones is talking a good game, whether he can coach one in the SEC remains to be seen.

PureOrange writes:

I am excited about Coach Jones, and it will take a lot to convince me he is not the right man at the right time for UT. I like his approach, his excitement, and his dedication. He will be a winner, and he will make Tennessee proud again.
GBO!

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Auburn inks top JUCO offensive lineman
Posted by John Taylor on December 25, 2012, 10:00 PM EST

They were not resting:

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones got an unexpected Christmas gift on Tuesday when 2014 athlete Vic Wharton called to tell the head coach that he was ready to be a Vol.

Vic Wharton is a 4 Star Listed DB By Rivals, from TN. http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/foo...

They always made me feel loved and wanted and that happened at UT. They are about family and I've always like that about coach Jones," Wharton offered.

Now that Wharton is committed to the Vols he says he plans to recruit other members of the class of 2014 in Tennessee. It's a class full of talent that includes Wharton's good friend Todd Kelly Jr. and Rashaan Gaulden.

"I'm going to start recruiting them to Tennessee soon and try and bring back a national championship to Tennessee, " Wharton said. "I talked to TK after I committed today and he told me to let him know when I came up to visit for a basketball game and he'll go, too."

Wharton already knows Tennessee players Devrin Young, Kyler Kerbyson and Daniel Hood.

Go Vols

traderjoe writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

They were not resting:

Go Vols

That's good news. 4 stars is a good start!

Snapshot writes:

in response to SevenT:

The question on everyone's mind....

Is Butch Jones an upgrade over Dooley?

No troll boy, that is not a question on everyone's mind. Get lost mildcat fan.

usafvol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Saban, Miles or Meyer weren't proven winners in the SEC either stupid; whats your point? Why aren't you out playing with your new Christmas toys little boy?

SevenT writes:

in response to Tru138:

Yes, I hope they can get back to Fulmer level UT teams. Next season will be a bad UT football team, I hope the fans will be patient and give Jones at least 5 years to rebuild the dump program.

Snapshot writes:

in response to bpcarman:

I certainly hope you are right.

By the way, unlike some people, I think Bama will have their hands full with N.D. They are a well coached team. B. Kelly was my choice to replace Fulmer, but we know how that turned out.

Snapshot writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Is it true you are the brother of legendary Vol Richmond Flowers as stated by others on here? I have asked you many times, but still you won't answer. Why???

tntim writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Just curious, if you were the AD, who would you have hired?

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Dooley still has you outclassed, personally and professionally.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

"We were the 4th or 5th talent in the Big East last Year" . Now that says wonders for his recruiting after Kelly left. When you cant recruit to Cinn as one or two in the Big east, good luck in the SEC..

SummerfieldVol writes:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but Coach Kelly was not calling the play's for Coach Jones at Central Michigan or Cincinnati. You could leave a very good team and go else where, but the new coach has got to call the play's and make out the starting line ups. It will take CBJ a few years to have a top team, but I think you will see improvement in some areas of play almost immediately. My biggest concern is at Quarterback. They (the coaches) have this spring and next fall to coach and tutor someone. The door is wide open at that position.

KVCrockett writes:

I like CBJ. I was very impressed with him at his presser. First impressions rank high with me, and I belive he is just the kind of hardnose coach we need to put the fight back in our team. So I learned alot from CBJ press conference. After seeing HART's hairdo I didn't know UT had a barber school. Learn something every day. GO VOLS.

jcp201 writes:

I think most all of us had this Gruden thing, and then it was Strong, but after watching him hit the ground running, I really like Butch Jones. I think this may be our guy... FINALLY.

jt45 writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Dooley still has you outclassed, personally and professionally.

Now that was funny, well deserved as well.

tuscavol writes:

in response to bpcarman:

Thanks Bama fan. That was a very good post and a perfect example of the sportsmanship we should all aspire to. Hopefully, under Butch Jones, we can get back to competing for that mountain top again. GO VOls!!!

tuscavol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

So far yours is the only nonsense I have read. OK, lets say Hart and Cheek WERE gone, who do you suggest we hire? Enlighten us with more of your armchair wisdom.

Snapshot writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Still waiting on your reply, are you the brother of legendary Vol Richmond Flowers?

You seem to have the answer to everything else, surely you can answer that simply question. We are waiting.....

CoverOrange writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

It isn't a fair question because just being an upgrade is not good enough. A fair question is can he beat Georgia, Florida and Alabama?