New lineup produces results for Lady Vols, 75-40

Warlick starts Moore, Jones, Spani

Tennessee forward Cierra Burdick (11) dives against Davidson guard Laura Murray (2) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Friday, Dec. 28, 2012 in Knoxville, Tenn. Tennessee won 75-40. (Photo by Wade Payne, Special to the News Sentinel)

Photo by Wade Payne, copyright © 2012

Holly Warlick happier about effort resulting in 75-40 victory over Davidson

After sending some strong messages with her words and her actions, Tennessee's Holly Warlick sent another with an expression Friday night.

Isabelle Harrison took notice and responded accordingly.

"As soon as I saw a smile on her face," the sophomore center said of her coach, "I could relax and breathe."

Along with being noticeable, a sense of relief was quantified by the Lady Vols' 75-40 women's basketball victory over Davidson.

UT's 26 points off Davidson turnovers and 22 second-chance points before an announced crowd of 11,059 at Thompson-Boling Arena added up to the sort of effort Warlick wanted from her team.

"We were aggressive," she said. "We didn't back up. We wanted to dictate to them. We wanted them having a hard time running their sets.

"I thought in the Stanford game they did what they wanted to do so I wanted us to be aggressive, be physical and just play hard."

A visit from Davidson (4-7) was a much-needed break from games against No. 1 Stanford and No. 3 Baylor, who had combined to give the Lady Vols a two-game losing streak.

The Stanford loss, in particular, had lingered with Warlick. After the team

returned from Christmas break, she renewed her criticism.

She waited until shortly before tipoff Friday to announce sweeping changes in the starting lineup

Out went Harrison, Ariel Massengale and Cierra Burdick. They were replaced by Taber Spani and freshmen Nia Moore and Jasmine Jones, who made their first career starts.

"I said before our two practices when we got back from Christmas that the starting lineup does not exist," Warlick said, "and I'm going to start five players who are the most consistent (in practice) and play the hardest."

No matter, forward Bashaara Graves, who scored a game-high 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, said that she was surprised by the changes. Tennessee's assistant coaches also had to be startled, since Warlick hadn't informed them beforehand of her intentions.

"They weren't questioning me but asking if I was sure that's what I wanted to do," she said.

The new lineup didn't energize UT's start. But the deposed starters seemed to play with a renewed sense of vigor. Harrison scored 13 points and grabbed nine rebounds while Burdick had a double-double (10 points and 10 rebounds).

Virtually every Lady Vol had a defensive hand in holding Davidson scoreless for more than six minutes midway through the first half.

The Wildcats, the preseason pick to win the Southern Conference, finished with more turnovers (24) than baskets (17). The lone double-figure scorers were forward Sophia Alexsandravicius with 12 points and guard Laura Murray with 11. No other Wildcat scored more than six points.

Davidson coach Michele Savage considered the disparity in points off turnovers and second-chance points and said, "It's very difficult to combat that."

A chastened team proved to be sufficiently defensive. In that sense, Warlick got her point across.

"It makes us happy as a team, and everybody starts loving each other again," Harrison said of the victory. "She's a head coach; she gets mad at us. She does that to see how we respond, and I think we responded well tonight."

Burdick agreed. She also sent a message of sorts herself in referencing Sunday's game against Rutgers (8-3).

"We definitely needed (the win) to build our momentum," she said, "and once we get this win over Rutgers, I think we'll be able to say we're back to where we need to be."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

pcorange writes:

Nice win, but this is Tennessee. We need to be doing that against Stanford and Baylor as well. I think CHW gets that, and is trying to get her team to see it as well.

wigmeister writes:

A little better. We'll have to wait to see if we have consistency.

VOLindiana writes:

love watching Jasmine Jones. She shows GREAT promise. Graves is Glory Johnson but finishes better around the rim. She does not play/act/work like a freshman. Simmons had a nice second half. Williams looked good on the defense end. I think this message coach sent is wonderful. Playing is earned. Who you play shouldn't dictate how you play.

SoddyVol writes:

I was glad to see Williams play several good minutes. She made 3 of 5 and both foul shots along with 5 steals and 5 assists in 19 minutes playing time. Jones played a good game but I especially enjoy watching Graves and Burdick

PureOrange writes:

Looked more like they are supposed to look. We are Tennessee and we should never play scared. We did against Baylor from the start, and did not play like we are capable of against Stanford.

jt45 writes:

Graves is outstanding for a freshman, every game she seems to get even better. Looking forward to the next three years as this group matures.

WCBB_FAN writes:

I think this group has the potential to be a final four contender the next 2 years.As of right now, I don't think they are a sweet 16 or elite 8 caliber team. I don't understand why Kamiko Williams is not the starting lineup. She is more talented that Burdick or Spani. Those of you who think Nikki Cadwell can do a better job than Holly, stop kidding yourself. Holly 8-3 ..Nikki 8-4. SEC Tournament 2012..TENN VS LSU
Give Holly the credit where it is due. She needs your support and not the obsession you have about Nikki's looks.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

This team will get better in time for tourney play. A lot of teams are grossly overrated as Ga proved last night against Illinois. Our ladies continue to improve, they will be in the mix for a SEC title and a 3 seed in the Big Dance. Fight on! Our team is young but loaded with talent. It's a matter of finding team chemistry with this bunch.

volfan2002 writes:

It would be tough to expect a win at Baylor although I did expect us to play better. The Stanford loss was just painful because we looked lifeless and did not play with any energy at all. We need to improve with every game we have a great player in Graves and can put three five star players on the floor at anytime only about three other schools in the nation can do that.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

So what - it was 4-7 Davidson. Play like this against a real defense.... a real team. Reminds me of UT football when they lose to Florida and then beat the hell out of Tweedle D U. and then say they are back.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

It's Davidson.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Bark_at_the_Moon:

HELLO! Ga Tech, Miami, UNC & Texas - all ranked all good defenses and all blowouts.

Pay attention.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

Yeah, also they blew out UNC with the other lineup. I think it's fair to say UT can handle average teams with the talent they have, but when it comes to Baylor, UCONN, Stanford and ND they are not in that class. Unfortunately until HW is out of the picture this will be as good as it gets.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You forget the current team is roughly inexperienced and young. Next season this team will get much better with the recruits that are coming in, especially with Mercedes Russell - she might be the next Candace Parker.

They don't have the talent to match up with the best teams yet, but the next 4 years the should be right there.

Time will tell on Coach Warlick, but I think so far she has done an excellent job.

BolivrBob writes:

Niki Caldwell

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Yeah, after all the elite players graduate..I understand they are young, but age doesn't matter as much in bb as it does in fb. Look at UK, they throw a bunch of freshmen on the floor and win immediately with underdeveloped players. Women should be ready faster than men because they are physically/mentally mature earlier than men.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Niki Caldwell

Absolutely..UT dropped the ball not getting NC back on the hill.

ModelMaker writes:

I thought they all played great. Harrison I thought really played well. I think she is definitely the key to this team. She has to play well against the good teams and she has to play a lot of min. against the good teams (Rutgers) or the Lady Vols are going to have a lot of problems.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Nice win. Keep up the good work ladies. Now let's work on getting to the point of being able to play win the elite teams. That takes alot of hard work, coaching and recruiting.

Go Lady Vols!

SoddyVol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Absolutely..UT dropped the ball not getting NC back on the hill.

Ridiculous--You're just joking, right? Niki Caldwell's LSU Lost to FGCU, a mid-major school, in their 12th game this year. So far the Vols lost early on with totally inexperienced players, since then only lost so far to the two TOP rated teams in WNCAA. LSU record is 8-4 against so-so teams while Vols are 8-3, two being against the top two teams.

mrvol2u writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Stunned!!! That is the best way I know to respond to such a comment.

Really, only 13 games into her 1st season and you can predict she has peaked and needs to be replaced????

Amazing. I really need some help picking some stock winners for my portfolio, with your great wisdom and insight you should be a natural.

Women's basketball is a great game but the number of really top caliber players is limited and teams with the top talent are hard to beat. You acknowledge as much in your comment and HW has one of the top recruiting classes coming aboard this year. Seems to me that would make your case mute since you state that when talent is equal our coaches win and she can recruit and is doing so quite well, therefore increasing the talent level.

I think we will go against your advice and give her a few more years.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

tovolny writes:

Keeping the assistant coaches in the dark? I question that. We have top notch coaches from top to bottom...seems like TRUST should be shared throughout. The bottom line said VICTORY, so I rest my case.

laraccoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

i was thinking along the same lines about Warlick not being cut out for the job after the effort i saw against Stanford and Baylor, but after seeing her bench players for lack of effort i at least think maybe she has a chance. i guess time will tell .

Volinflan writes:

Some of these posters need to go back to the football side and beat up on the new coach. That's all they want to do is beat up on somebody.

Who is this Element person. Sounds like they belong in Elementary school. Go beat up on a football coach. Leave us alone.

madrigal writes:

Gee, I thought reading the first posts that the whiners would go away, but scroll down the page and there they are in full waaaaaah. Why don't you guys just go back to the football side, or isn't it any fun to beat up on Butch Jones yet? I wasn't going to call anyone out, but I am sick and tired of the constant whining of Bivolar and those two children calling themselves Element Days and Bark at the Moon. Do you ever have anything positive to say? Nobody is seeing it.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

Stunned!!! That is the best way I know to respond to such a comment.

I think we will go against your advice and give her a few more years.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

In case you didn't know (and only a completely blind to reality person wouldn't know this) Holly was already coaching this team since last season..Go back in your shell of denial..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to madrigal:

Butch Jones? He wasn't on UT's staff for 20yrs like Holly was..I'm not whining one bit, in fact I'm simply voicing opinion based on fact..What are ewe bringing to the discussion other than misdirected passion??

volfan2002 writes:

in response to jt45:

Graves is averaging 1.31 points per shot attempt the best we've had at Tennessee since Candace but has only taken 120 shots. Simmons has shot it 165 times and is at 1.09 which is lower than almost everyone else on the team. Massengale is at 1.28 but has only shot the ball 74 times, Kamiko not ever a starter leads the team in steals and is at 1.18 points per shot which is third on the team.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

OK, lets call it like it is. BS

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

wannabe "insider source" ha ha

underthehill writes:

in response to volfan2002:

Kamiko is easily the best defender on the team and easily among the five best players..seems apparent to anyone watching the game..except Holly..

RLL59 writes:

Davidson's 4 wins came against Kennesaw State, Georgia Southern, High Point and Gardner Webb. Their only other game against a ranked team was Miami and they lost by 35. The reality is that this game proved nothing...positive or negative.

I was not one of those who opposed hiring Holly, nor do I say she should be fired for losing to the number 1 and number 3 teams. But again, the lineup was shuffled to where one of the least played member of the team started.... and played the least number of minutes (13). That didn't work for Coach Summitt and it can't be shown that it worked last night either. This isn't an elementary school team; I suspect that every player has been playing the game for more than 10 years. The 'punishment' should stop and the 'coaching' should begin if there's any hope for real improvement. Those of you who base your optimism on the fact that this is a young team should reread your posts and ask whether you could have written the same post 4 years ago ...and how did that work out from an expectation/results standpoint? When was the last time a Lady Vol improved significantly betweem her freshman and senior years? When has the team improved as the season progressed? Unless something different is done from a coaching standpoint, why would one expect different results.

The Lady Vols, as I've stated before, routinely have more highly recruited players than 99% of the teams in the country. They are almost always the favorite and win a very high number of those games. But when they play against equal or better talent (in other words when the game was a tossup or the Lady Vols were underdogs), when was the last time they've won? It's been years.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to RLL59:

Zackly..+1

SoddyVol writes:

If the Lady Vols were not still one of the top teams in the country, they wouldn't have so many haters posting. (Many claiming to be supporters).

Yes, success so far this year (exception being Chatta.) does draw those trying to tear down rather than build up. It is no fun for them to rant at the majority of other SEC teams where expectations are not so high.

jt45 writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

The most retarded post I have ever seen on this site. You talk about the Lady Vols like they are a scandal, that's just plain hogwash. The Lady Vols have been the program that ALL other womens BB program have aspired to be and the sport has become what it is largely in part to the hard work and dedication Pat Summit put into it.

Furthermore the Lady Vols have been and continue to be most successful program UT has. Watching them through the last thirty years I guarantee that most Vols fans are grateful for what they bring in terms of winning.

A personal attack against PS,,, are you that ignorant? Abominations ? Ive seen some stupid trolling over the years but you get the prize for being the biggest DA to date.

BxVol writes:

I totally support the Lady Vols and if I point out a weakness it`s because I would like to see it corrected so they can be better.I believe the Lady Vols have a good shot at winning the SEC and we shall see shortly with upcoming tough games in conference.
One thing I hope to see is a much
higher assist total, as 13 against the likes of Davidson is way too low.
I think our talent is young but very good.Obviously the games against Baylor and Stanford showed we have a ways to go but it is not that far if we improve in some areas.
Next year with Russell and our other highly ranked freshmen our team can challenge once again for a final 4 spot.With front line players we will have a la Burdick, Graves, Harrison,Jones and Russell we will be a team to be feared.Of course this is all predictated on the team playing together and playing with "heart".

underthehill writes:

in response to RLL59:

You do make some very good points and are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine..I did not see a lack of effort against Baylor or Stanford and see the reactions by Holly as an immature act by a coach who has yet to learn how to handle her new authority ..Stanford reflects the playing of a well coached team that I hope the the Lady Vols can become..Stanford was the better team..a good coach would tell her team as much and let them know this is what we want to become..to say or insinuate the Lady Vols could have beat Stanford with more effort is pure nonsense..I saw an over matched Lady Vol team give their all and it just was not good enough..when that happens you go back and work to get better..you don't come up with a bunch of drama nonsense to make it look like you coached good enough to win but the players just didn't give enough effort .. at this point..the Lady Vols have better talent than they have head coach..I hope Holly can do better..the issue of player development is indeed a valid remark..how a coach can justify having a player like Kamiko on the bench is beyond me..Kamiko has the talent to play as a pro and is behind players who can't run the floor..

underthehill writes:

in response to BxVol:

One thing I hope to see is a much
higher assist total, as 13 against the likes of Davidson is way too low.

I think you make some good points..I would change your last sentence to read..this is all pedicated on the team being as well coached as their opponents will be..the playing with heart comes from the coaching..

underthehill writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

I don't consider myself a sheep and I think most Lady Vol fans have heard rumors..but as far as I know they are just that..I think you are way out of line with your comments about Pat..

underthehill writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

In today's society I doubt any coach monitors the private lives of their staff..it is more likely they would consider their private lives to be private as long as it did not interfere with their ability to coach or have the proper relationship with the players..My personal opinion of Pat Summitt is that she is a great person..a great mother who has a son who is a credit to her and himself..a legend who deserves all the good that has come to her..as for her staff ..you appear to know things I do not...

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

i will be forced to rut for Baylor . Uconn is good to my dismay.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

i will be forced to rut for Baylor . Uconn is good to my dismay.

You have antlers??

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You have antlers??

Just see Baylor as the only team to prevent them getting their 8th.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Just see Baylor as the only team to prevent them getting their 8th.

Probably correct, but I hate to see that freak get another title..Maybe Notre Dame can turn it around if the Vols don't significantly improve.

jt45 writes:

in response to Element_Days_Are_Over:

Sure you did, Im sure she appreciates your diligence in spreading that BS in a Lady Vols BB article.While your so intent to slander the Lady Vols program is the real mystery. Perhaps you should spend some time taking your own inventory instead of posting gossip trash.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I'll take Baylors freak over Uconns new 6'5 freak...ewwwhhh.

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

ColdNose

You forget one oh-so-very-important factor to the whole equation when you made that statement above about UK. When referring to how UK throws a bunch of freshmen on the floor and wins immediately with underdeveloped players, thus inferring that you guys should be able to do the same.. wellll .... the hitch to that is that UT is 'NOT' UK in basketball, and they never will be!! It aint gonna work for you. Period.

r2d2 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Just see Baylor as the only team to prevent them getting their 8th.

I would not discount Duke and Notre Dame. Stanford was overrrated. That is why Holly was so disappointed in the 73-60 loss.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

ColdNose

You're such an Einstein..UT WBB is miles ahead of Tucky, in fact UK MBB just won their 8th title which CPS had already obtained all by her lonesome.

oldster writes:

Simmons must be like Skylar McBee for the men -hit every shot in practice. Otherwise, I just cannot understand why she (or he) gets so much playing time. She scores a lot, true; however, if I shot 20 to 30 times a game I could score in double figures too as even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. If she is the best option the LVs have got at guard then forget final fours until she is not.