UT's Graham 'rehired' quickly by Jones

Tennessee tailback Tom Smith runs a drill while running backs coach Jay Graham looks on during practice at Haslam Field at the University of Tennessee Friday, Aug. 3, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee tailback Tom Smith runs a drill while running backs coach Jay Graham looks on during practice at Haslam Field at the University of Tennessee Friday, Aug. 3, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

KNOXVILLE — While many were assuming one thing, Jay Graham continued to maintain his focus on the present.

The former Tennessee tailback appeared to be a shoo-in to remain the Volunteers' running backs coach through a head-coaching change, but the process wasn't that simple.

As Graham said last week, such situations never are.

"There was a lot of uncertainty," said the lone holdover on new coach Butch Jones' staff. "You look at the history of it, it doesn't happen often. When I think about it, I don't feel entitled to be here just because I played here, being an alumni.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press

ktownorange32 writes:

Tisk Tisk Graham..... you are entitled to be here more than most. LOVE that you are still with us

Jakevol writes:

Yeah, I remember when the Concord NC Jay, turned the corner that Saturday night in AL. turned on the speed and scored a long TD run against Bama, wearing an Orange & White Tn uniform, beating Bama.
There was a time when Tn. crossed the MTS and picked who they wanted to play at TN. Now, SC.,Ga.,FL or Clemson gets them. Jay has Big Orange Roots,, I like him.

BrassMonkey writes:

Post it on Twitter! We have the 5th best Twitter coach in the nation. Woo hoo! Who cares about wins and losses we are winning on Twitter. That is where the game is played in 2013.

ARANGEVOL writes:

Jay you earned the right to be a VOL for life!

usafvol writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Ignorant post; what are you, 12?

VFLVFLVFL writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

I thought it was 3rd? -- there is no way to tell how good butch jones will be. We now have a staff that has been together and believes in each other enough to come together and stayed together. Now is not the time of year for negativity fool... give them a chance and hope it works out cuz he is killing it off the field

VFLVFLVFL writes:

Gotta love jay Graham. He has represented himself and UT right. Feels good to have a former player who is also a great coach on our staff. Next let's hire peyton to coach QB's in 2016-2017

FanNotSheep writes:

Smart man, Jones.

I look for Graham to rise in the ranks -- and I hope that all happens here at Tennessee. You could not ask for a better person to send into the homes of highly talented prospects and show them exactly what it means to be a Tennessee Vol.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to VFLVFLVFL:

I hope Peyton is playing for his 6th Super Bowl ring that year. Don't ever doubt the man. I had to laugh when I read that Kurt Warner said Peyton is a system quarterback. Please. Peyton Manning creates his own system -- and wins with it where ever he goes.

philgreen5#410561 writes:

It is great to have a solid UT connection on this staff, wish Martin would have accepted, but maybe down the road. I would love to see Jay rise thru the ranks at UT and who knows where he may end up one day.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Go get Derrick Green and Marquez North so we can put a giant bow on this recruiting class in February.

GO VOLS!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Now that was a very good article. It states some things about our new coach while bragging on our historical Graham. We all saw improvement in the running game. A lot of credit should go to our former offensive staff. But obviously Graham helped our game. I for one think it was very wise and righteous for Jones to keep Jay. I might would have kept the line coach as well but don't blame Jones at all for his wanting his picks. Even if he'd replaced Graham we will not know any results for quite a while. maybe. I hope Jones turns things around first year.

KingDanno (Inactive) writes:

I'm not a twitter fan and think most social media is a waste of time. But you know what? High school kids and now, college kids are all about it. So Butch will get ahead recruiting with twitter. So who cares how you feel about twitter! If it gets us more recruits, he's doing his freaking job. That and if the fans have a good idea and can communicate it to him via twitter (i.e. a recruit that was overlooked), good. Get em Butch!

BMSvol writes:

jones is just a placeholder until manning retires from the nfl.

hopefully graham will still be here after the next few losing seasons

VolGrad writes:

So glad Jay Graham is still on the staff! Reel'em in, Jay!!!

Go Vols!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to BMSvol:

jones is just a placeholder until manning retires from the nfl.

hopefully graham will still be here after the next few losing seasons

I looked at some of your past posts. You're a real Vol "fan". Do you mean PmsVol, not Bms

VolGrad writes:

Jay: "My guys," they kind'a know me a little bit more now, so you're not reteaching drills and all those things. I've got guys who can lead those drills now, and we can continue to get better. Guys have a knowledge of how I do things which is going to help.... (Regarding the new offense) The main thing about it is the pace of the offense, and we've kind'a got that part down after doing it last year. So that will help.... (Regarding recruits) I look for guys that can break tackles, that are explosive, but that also have the intangibles: determination (like Stewart, Hayden, Lewis) game-changers. There are not a lot of those out there- that's what we're looking for. They will need to have great ball skills, develop a good understanding of the offense and good route running.... I'm excited about being here, not only as a coach but also a former player. Lots of guys (former players) have sent me messages or called me excited about the things Coach Jones is doing in trying to involve them. That's the most important thing with carrying on tradition. Those guys know what it takes to win; it's good to have them around and have their influence on the program.

BigToe18 writes:

I,ve Been a VOLS FAN my whole life and i have to say this I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BUNCH OF BIGGER CRY BABIES IN MY LIFE!!!!. If we had gotten gruden as coach it seems that the fans would still cry about something. Give the guy at least one yr. before we hang him out to dry.

PUL4VOLS writes:

I am all FOR Jay Graham staying and all for the development of this staff. Now, go recruit, all of you and maybe some of the whino-crybabies will put a pacifier in it for a few weeks.
GO BIG ORANGE!

KVCrockett writes:

WOW ! A story on UT football with NO negative comments. Congrats Patrick Brown. Would you consider giving some lessons to Climer and Adams? I would trade both of them for you, and I would add a couple of cub reporters just to seal the deal.

vettefool writes:

in response to VFLVFLVFL:

another 12 year old's comment. school is out though.

TKO writes:

Hire al Wilson

mrvol2u writes:

First let me say thanks to the "Times Free Press" and Mr. Brown for a great article.

It was not hard to see the improvement of the both backs at UT this year. The improvement was not only significant but progressive as the year went on.

Coach Graham can teach as well as recruit and his ties to the school make him a great fit. Kudos to CBJ for "rehiring" him.

I like the way CBJ handles things. He seems self assured yet not in a negative, cocky way. He has hit the ground running and seems to know what it takes to get the job done and goes and tries to get it done. Jay Graham seems to have similar qualities.

After reading the USC bowl article, I just can't help but be a optimistic that we will not have to worry about such lapses of sound judgement by our head coach. Players will be players and some will miss speak, tweet, or get out of line but I like our coaches chances of limiting that type of behavior.

I am just hopeful he and the staff can succeed on the field. I for one believe they will!

GO VOLS!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

When we get thru the doldrums, I for one am ready for a bowl trip in 2013, even to beautiful Shreveport.

GBO