Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess // Buy this photo
During the past couple of weeks, Dooley has reached out to his 42,718 followers as of Monday on Twitter with his "top 10 reasons to embrace (or fear) professional transition.''
Dooley faces a transition since he was fired as UT's coach on Nov. 19, although his $5 million buyout assures that he need not be in any rush.
Dooley's tweets are characterized by the sharp wit that made his media conferences more memorable than some of the Vols' results in SEC play.
"Joined the FFCA (Fired Football Coaches Association) founded by some guy named Gruden. Shirt and visor free of charge,'' is how Dooley began his countdown at "Enjoying taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales ... not surprised to see orange pants on clearance for over a month.''
And another: "Called D Hart to wish Merry Christmas and verify the game was really over. Response: unlike LSU and UNC, last 34 months not reviewable.''
In his 34 months as UT's coach, during which the Vols went 15-21 — they also beat Kentucky five days after he was fired — Dooley did not embrace social media.
Butch Jones, his successor hired on Dec. 7, has been an active tweeter with 58,150 followers.
Many coaches have taken to Twitter to communicate with recruits and fans. Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari has 1.222 million followers.
Dooley's countdown also referenced his (too?) outspoken mother Barbara, his perfect hair and his media conference analogies to Rommel, Shakespeare, Bruce Hornsby and growing bamboo.
Perhaps the most pointed was admitting to being intimidated on a grocery-shopping adventure.
"Last time feeling that helpless: when any opposing offense took the field.''
Derek Dooley's Top 10 tweets
10. Joined the FFCA founded by some guy named Gruden. Shirt and visor free of charge.
9. Knocking the rust off the old law books to help me spar against @ClayTravisBGID. Or is that really necessary?
8. Know how Jack feels after trip to Publix (M Keaton/Mr Mom). Last time feeling that helpless: when any opposing offense took the field.
7. Called D Hart to wish Merry Christmas and verify the game was really over. Response: Unlike LSU and UNC, last 34 months not reviewable.
6. Christmas...A time to love and celebrate all things family...and to think of a new excuse to keep the ever popular Barbara off the air.
5. Reflecting on changes I would make given next opportunity. Only change on hair...more grey!
4. Enjoying taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales...not surprised to see orange pants on clearance for over a month.
3. Just realized bamboo takes three (not two) years to get established, then grows 2 feet a day...knew I should have just watered the grass.
2. My highlights...Rommel, Shakespeare, Pythagorean, Bruce Hornsby...maybe I should start studying football instead.
1. “OPPORTUNITY IS NOWHERE” to have @Swiperboy finally teach me how to Dooley.