Jeremaine Copeland retires after 11 seasons in CFL

Former University of Tennessee wide receiver Jeremaine Copeland is retiring after 11 seasons in the Canadian Football League. He was named wide receivers coach for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

During his football career, the 34-year-old Copeland won championships at UT in 1998, an XFL championship with the Los Angeles Xtreme in 2001, and a Grey Cup championship with Calgary in 2008

The former quarterback from Harriman High School played at UT from 1996-98.

"It has been a great run and a lot of fun for me but I believe it's time to move on in my life," Copeland said in a statement.

"I would like to say thanks to all of my teammates that I played with and especially the two quarterbacks I played most of my career with — AC (Anthony Calvillo) and Hank (Henry Burris) — who helped make my career what it was. Last but not least, I want to thank my receiving corps, who are all great groups of guys that made it fun to play the game of football."

Copeland a two-time CFL all-star, started with the Montreal Alouettes in 2002 before joining Calgary in 2005 and Toronto in 2010. He is 15th all-time in the CFL with 10,037 receiving yards. He finishes with 622 receptions in 188 games.

"He's one of the smartest players I've ever been around,'' Toronto general manager Jim Barker, who brought Copeland from Calgary two years ago, told The Toronto Sun.

"He sees the receiver position from the eyes of a quarterback, which made him so invaluable."

In 2003, Copeland had career highs when he had 99 catches for 1,757 yards and 14 touchdowns for Montreal.

Copeland was an undrafted free agent out of UT and spent time in NFL training camps with the Tennessee Titans and Dallas Cowboys. He spent a season playing for the Barcelona Dragons in NFL Europe in 2000.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Thanks Jeremaine! Your name is among the greats all time at Tennessee. That's very cool...

NeylandWest writes:

Will always remember #6, that's for sure! Best of luck to you!

Navaloranges writes:

Way to go Jeremaine. All of us back home that know you were a special athlete early on, are so proud of you.

Southland writes:

loved the guy at UT sounds like he had a pretty good career and maybe it will work for him in coaching

givehim6 writes:

Great player UT had, great career! Maybe Jeremaine would join Jay on this staff and help get the Vols of today back on track.

illinoisvolfan writes:

Not only was Copeland a great player, but he was also a winner. Three championships are three championships, no matter what level or league you are in. The welcome mat is out whenever you want to come back to Tennessee, Jeremaine.

JSamson7 writes:

If he was a step faster, he could have had a great NFL career. Hard to imagine he only ran a 4.8...

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to JSamson7:

You're right about that. If he was just a tad faster. Great career it sounds like and I wish him well.

JSamson7 writes:

in response to etu_vol_fan:

No doubt. I would venture to say he had the best hands of any WR that has come through UT in a long time.

I actually knew Jermaine a bit when he was at UT. Really great guy and fine all-around athlete. I always liked to watch Canadian football; the field and the rules made for a different kind of game, but still familiar enough for American football fans to understand. I hated it when ESPN stopped carrying it after they got their NFL tie-in. I would have loved to see Jermaine play a few more times after he left UT. Best wishes for him in the future.

Voluvr writes:

Jermaine I'm sure we have an extra whistle down here for you!

BillVol writes:

A great Volunteer. Congrats on a fine career.

dtacker#607308 writes:

Peyton to Copeland was always the sign of something awesome about to happen. You will be missed Jeremaine.

tulelakevol writes:

I still hear John Ward saying "Manning's pass....CAUGHT! Jermaine Copeland with the 33 yd completion!!" Dang, that seems like a lifetime ago with all the junk going on now.