Tennessee joins SEC list with offers for Ridgeland High School’s Vonn Bell

All-star Vonn Bell from Ridgeland High School is being offered a scholarship by the University of Tennessee.

Photo by Chattanooga Times Free Press file

— Vonn Bell’s list of football scholarship offers grew by one Thursday, and it was the one he had been waiting on for some time.

Less than 24 hours after being given an offer over the phone by Alabama coach Nick Saban, the Ridgeland High School junior safety took another call that included an offer early Thursday afternoon, this time from Tennessee coach Derek Dooley.

“It was very exciting to get to talk to Coach Dooley,” Bell said. “It was kind of a relief to know that they want me to play for them. It’s like what every kid growing up playing football dreams of, to get offers like that.

“Coach Dooley just said that they would love to see me in orange and really want me to come play for them. I kept telling myself while he was talking to just stay calm and wait and see what happens. I’ll take a tour of the campus with my parents and get to know the coaches now and see how we feel after that. I just want to make sure I’m comfortable with everything before I make any commitments to anybody.”

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

PHAT_VOL writes:

I agree it would be great to see Mr.Bell in Tennessee Orange. Stay after him Coach Dooley.
GO VOLS !!!

wigmeister writes:

He would look wonderful in Orange, would get to play early, and would be an important cog in our move back to the top.

Tennfan4075 writes:

Looks like everybody but Dooley knew about this guy, but not really surprising.

mrvol2u writes:

I am glad to see a young man from Memphis that is a UT fan. I hope it ends up with him playing at UT.

I just hope Mr Hart and co. have figured out a way to structure contracts that will not allow asst. coaches to bolt before Natl. Signing Day.

gobigorange27 writes:

in response to CantCompare:

You made me laugh.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to CantCompare:

dang, that's funny.

Pullingguard writes:

The Vols should be first and upfront with all the quality football players in Tennessee. We should never be calling after Saban has personally offered, and that is one reason Bama is so successful, they are out front and on top of the good players.

usafvol writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Looks like everybody but Dooley knew about this guy, but not really surprising.

Looks like you're the first Dooley bashing troll but not really surprising.

CroKev writes:

This is a bit off the wall but I'll write it anyway. I'm still a bit ticked off at Arkansas getting Otha Peters. I was shocked to see Arkansas only having 2 4* players in their recruiting class with Peters being one of them. Of all the coaches in the SEC, with the possible exception of Mullen and maybe Spurrier, Petrino seems to do the best job of coaching his players up, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. I really wonder if Saban could have gotten the same kind of production out of Petrino's kids. Petrino still has that reputation for jumping ship so that might have an effect on his recruiting but he sure gets the maximum out of the ones he lands.

oldster writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Looks like everybody but Dooley knew about this guy, but not really surprising.

Your comment would suggest that Dooley is only slightly slower than the guy everyone is touting as the latest God of college football since Saban offered Bell less than 24 hours before Dooley did, hater.

torchbearer writes:

I dont think Dooley was any busier than Saban. I find it troubling that we have to have recruits and their coaches frustrated before calling a guy. I know it is a busy job, bit it is a 10 minute call. A kid who is a fan who is elite talent should get the call in January. These kids are often sensitive to that and you have to play every advantage.

"One that beareth a torch standeth in shadow to give light to others"

Sir_Spanky writes:

So Alabama's after him, huh? Get ready kid. You're gonna be hearing lots of jive in the next several months.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

The kid is NOT in Tennessee, bumpkins. Reading and reading compehension should not be so difficult for a pulling guard.

LiveFaith writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Your Honor. Before rendering your judgement, I suggest you determine WHAT state the young man plays in.

Kimo23 writes:

Ridgeland is in North GA about 15-20 minutes south of Chattanooga. I hear the kid is a player.

AllVol311 writes:

reading the article, i cant tell if he would be apart of the 2012 or 2013 recruiting class

LiveFaith writes:

in response to torchbearer:

"One that beareth a torch standeth in shadow to give light to others"

You sound like a very successful recruiter yourself. Probably an insider. Do you think you would be willing to tell us who Dooley was calling while Saban was calling this kid?

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Looks like everybody but Dooley knew about this guy, but not really surprising.

Complain, complain, complain. When this kid's star rating comes out as a ***, then you'll complain that Coach Dooley is not going after more stars.

There is always something wrong with the Legion of the Miserable.

Chappy writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Looks like everybody but Dooley knew about this guy, but not really surprising.

Did ya even read the article? Dooley himself offered the scholarship. Any opportunity to drag Coach Dooley through the mud, huh?

BleednUrnge81 writes:

in response to AllVol311:

next year's class man, he is a junior.

rtrchatt writes:

Bama has a wide out, Mike Bowman from Ridgeland. Believe he is currently suspended from team and probably will not return. Once in Sabans doghouse the next location is usually another campus. You do the right things at UA or you do them some where else..... Roll Tide

RememberWhen writes:

Glad this young man is excited about an offer from TN...I just wonder if he's realized yet that the man who made the offer won't be his coach when he gets here.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

rtrchit who gives a rats @ss?

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

And all the "bamer" players are little Louie Sabanite angels...NOT. Pride cometh before the fall...BOOK IT.

apd7081 writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Looks like everybody but Dooley knew about this guy, but not really surprising.

Yeah, and Fulmer let Randall Cobb get right out from under his nose. At least Dooley made an offer before this kid's decision was made.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Good morning Jeff!!! Hope you have a great day!!! Please don't let all the G_R_B_A_R bashers destroy your happy ways.....Hope you have a great day!!!

On topic, we are in the mix for well down the road....so lots of time to watch and speculate more.... :)

dlobh writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Do people who hide behind their computers and spout insults actually feel good about themselves? Seriously, dude? Where in the article does it say that Ridgeland High School is in Rossville, GA? If a person were not familiar with the Chattanooga area, they wouldn't know that the school is actually a few miles south of the TN state line.

Lighten up, Ayres.

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

I only hope that when Vonn Bell reads your comment he will know that you are just a scurvy little spider...and that you have no insight in the UTAD.

CroKev writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

I have yet to EVER visit another team's website. How many do you habitate or do you just have a thing for Tennessee?

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to torchbearer:

"One that beareth a torch standeth in shadow to give light to others"

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that Saban was also replacing six assistant coaches while trying to hold a recruiting class together. /sarcasm off

VOLliven2it writes:

mrvol2u, Memphis is a long long way from Rossville,GA where Ridgeland High School is located. This kid is the real deal and it would be great to see him in Orange and White. I hope he likes what he will see at UofT. All the other blabber on here just got flushed down my i-drain. Here that drivel drivel; blub blub....

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to apd7081:

I'm sick of people talking about PF letting Cobb 'get away.' We're talking ONE under rated recruit that went to Kentucky. How many times did Randall Cobb lead UK to victory over UT? Zero. Let it go.

oskie_score writes:

2013 class off to a nice start. Bell would be a good addition. Ramsey (in-state) is a must have. IMO

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

Maybe he was confusing Ridgeland HS with Ridgeway HS which is in Memphis.

Snapshot writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

And you think we care what they do in bammer land?

Theo writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Bitter loser - seek help.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to usafvol:

Looks like you're the first Dooley bashing troll but not really surprising.

I just can't imagine why anyone can support a guy who has taken the football program to the lowest of lows in UT football history. Just exactly what has Dooley done that makes you think he is a winner? After another embarassing season of taking the Vols to the bottom of the SEC do you really think he is going to turn this program around? He is just another temporary disappointment with a famous name who will be gone in a year.
I say the so called TROLLS are the only ones on this site with any sense of reality.
GOD BLESS THE TROLLS!

Hopefully after another embarassing season the idiots who hired him (and it wasn't Hammy) will realize you get what you pay for.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

GOD BLESS THE TROLLS!

Thank you for the kind words. That makes at least two of us that get it. Good post.

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

You join govols TODAY and the first thing you do is bash the COACH come on man!!!

SpiralBound writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

He isn't from Memphis, he's from Chattanooga. While we have a good deal of talent here, I feel like UT will have to put forth a HUGE effort to sell their "brand". I'm not saying there aren't UT fans here, I'm saying some of these kids see attention from OM and UM so early they seem to get jaded.

FORTKNOXVOL writes:

If you have not checked this kids video on YouTube you should. He is incredable. See the ball see Bell. He also knows how to tackle. He hits high and hard.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

Dooley's going after a player from TN? What's he going to replace his excuse that there are no football players in TN with? I'm sure he'll come up with another one.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

RememberWhen didn't just join today. He's like all the trolls who change their names every time the wind blows

deputy658 writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

You are clueless.You have no football knowledge at all.

TROJANMAN2011 writes:

Let me say this I had the oppurtunity to coach Vonn at chattanooga central last year in his sophmore season at Chattanooga Central high. Our whole coaching staff knew the moment that we got onto campus that this kid was SEC caliber! After the head coach resigned due to family reasons Vonn and his mother who teaches at ridgeland decided that it was best to transfer across the state line to ridgeland, which is ten minutes outside of chattanooga. I am still in contact with Vonn through one of the coaches I coached with and from the 2010 coaching staff at chattanooga central and am best friends with, who ended up at ridgeland before Vonn transfered. Anyways, to the point all Vonn talks about is having the chance to play for Tennessee and wearing his big orange hoody every chance he gets. This kid is a huge tennessee fan who has dreamed of playing for the big orange like many of us have throughout our entire lives. I am not saying he is going to commit any time soon because it is so early he is going to take his visits and play the recruiting game. In the end it will take something major to happen for Vonn not to end up wearing the big orange and playing for national titles. So do not panic my friends Tennessee will win this kid and I will keep you all updated as I find out information from Vonn. I have never been one of these to claim to have an inside source but, I do have a friendship with him after having coached him at Chatt. Central and the fact that my best friend coaches him now! In the end Vonn will run through the T !!!! GBO!!!!

FanNotSheep writes:

Sounds like a young man who wants to play for UT -- and Coach Dooley. I hope the Vols have a great season in 2012 and that he gets the chance to do both!

mtnbikrtn writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

He lived in Chattanooga most of his life and has attended Central in Chattanooga. He just moved down the road into GA.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

Maybe you are thinking of Ridgeway in Memphis. I think this guy is from Ga.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to CroKev:

Easy Crokev!! The guy is unemployed or homeless and has nothing else to do but surf the internet 15 hours a day. Kinda like Grantland and some of the other trolls.

Share your thoughts