Lineup change benefits Vols against Georgia, 73-62

Golden scores 16 points off the bench

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) goes in for a layup during the first half against Georgia at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012.  Tennessee won 73-62 over Georgia.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) goes in for a layup during the first half against Georgia at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012. Tennessee won 73-62 over Georgia. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Guard Trae Golden on the Georgia game

Trae Golden, Tennessee's leading scorer and assist man, didn't get the start against Georgia on Saturday night.

But the Vols got the win, and Golden and his teammates got the point: Play defense and work hard, or sit the bench.

"It definitely lit a fire under me,'' said Golden, who scored a team-high 16 points in Tennessee's 73-62 men's basketball victory against the Bulldogs (10-12, 1-7 SEC) before a crowd of 19,379 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

UT (11-12, 3-5) improved to 3-0 in games coach Cuonzo Martin has changed the starting lineup this season.

"It (lineup change) may have had a ripple effect,'' said junior Jeronne Maymon, who had 15 points and eight rebounds.

Martin didn't mince words when asked about benching his sophomore point guard.

"I just felt like Trae needed to work harder on both ends of the floor and really lead us as a point guard,'' Martin said. "Not necessarily in production or points, but just his approach and intensity level on the defensive side of the ball and taking pride in it.''

Junior Skylar McBee, who got his first career start and ran the point at the onset, finished with 10 points.

"Growing up and being a Tennessee fan before I was ever a player, it's special, '' said Grainger County's McBee, who came off the bench in his first 86 games after beginning his UT career as a walk-on. "But it's really not about who starts; it's about five guys playing together and being a unit.''

Jordan McRae came off the bench to score 14, while freshman Jarnell Stokes was held to five points while gathering nine rebounds.

Georgia dropped its fourth game in a row, and Bulldogs coach Mark Fox was ejected with 19 seconds left after being assessed consecutive technical fouls for arguing with official Doug Shows.

Martin, conversely, seldom changed his expression, even when Georgia scored the first seven points of the second half to grab a 35-30 lead on Donte' Williams' hook shot over Stokes.

The Vols rallied, reclaiming the lead on a pair of Kenny Hall free throws that made it 42-41 with 13:14 left.

UT didn't trail again, taking command when Cam Tatum hit a 3-pointer with 7:41 left to ignite a 10-2 run that made it 58-49 with 4:11 remaining. The Bulldogs failed to draw closer than six for the rest of the game.

"We still have a burp or two that we have to get past,'' Fox said. "They made some 3-point baskets that they probably haven't been making the last couple of weeks.''

UT was 7-of-22 shooting from three, but perhaps more importantly, the Vols made 28 of 37 from the free-throw line including 13 of 15 over the final five minutes.

Maymon hit nine of his 12 attempts, often getting to the line thanks to Golden's passing. Golden's five assists were his most since having six in a 60-57 win over Connecticut on Jan. 21.

Golden, who averaged 7.3 points and one assist his previous three games, entered the action at the 13-minute mark of the first half. Once Golden settled in, the Vols clicked, going on an 11-1 run to close out the first half to take a 30-28 lead into intermission.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope led Georgia scorers with 16 points, and Dustin Ware had 15.

UT returns to action Wednesday (TV: MyVLT, 8 p.m.) against South Carolina (9-13, 1-7) in Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Gamecocks are coming off an 86-52 loss to No. 1 Kentucky in Columbia, S.C., on Saturday and have dropped three in a row and seven of their past eight.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

LJS1984 writes:

For a minute I thought that the curse of Phil Fulmer/Mike Hamilton would linger a little longer....Georgia wasn't missing anything to start the first and second half. If UGA didn't shoot lights out almost the whole time then the Vols win by more than they did. For a while though I was wondering if the Vols were just Damned?

HtownVol writes:

Loved Goldens desire tonight.

Seemed to do him great to come off of the bench.

However, I know I rag on McBee too much but I am sure that the plus/minus with and without McBee would show that UT played much better when McBee was sitting. He did hit some cluth free throws though. Again, I do not want McBee to sit, I just do not understand him playing so much at certain times.

Tatum played so much harder tonight and he needs to give that every game since he may be down to his last few games in major organized basketball.

McRae was amazing! He is so talented, if he ever gets it together he will be very good.

The passing was better tonight but it is still not very good.

Stokes and Maymon was tripple teamed numerous times and tey can not get the ball to a open man. As the guards are not able to get the ball to them very often.

The frustrating thing is to know that this is a total different team at home. On the road they are not close to as good.

Maybe they will get it together.

GO VOLS

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Turns out that the "DAWGS are just mutts.hehe

Go Vols! Beat uhhhhhh uhhhh who's next?

BEAT S. Carolina uhhh what...redbirds? some kinda bird. Panthers? nope that's football. Golly.

fearthehound writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

hee-hee! VFL

eduardo writes:

Any win these days is a good win no matter who we are playing!

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to LJS1984:

Yea the curse of Phil Fulmer- NC, multiple SEC titles, half dozen title game appearances, all from a UT grad.

He and Hammy were alot alike, right?

East Tennessee and self flagellation- a perfect match.

bigdisbig writes:

Good win for the Vols. Its always great to win an SEC game. Mark Fox had reason to complain but it was a little to harsh I suppose. I thought the ref over reacted by throwing him out of the game with 19 seconds left.
I still wish the Vols would work it inside more to Stokes or Maymon. This team just isn't a 3 point shooting team. The do much better when they take their time and go for the high percentage shot.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

Wow. Kinda funny. Based on the schedules. If we lose to FL @ FL and win the rest, We could very well be 4th or tied for 4th in the SEC and go to the NCAAs. Interesting. Who would of thunk it.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Agreed. This could be interesting.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

He and Hammy were alot alike, right?

East Tennessee and self flagellation- a perfect match.

I never said that I liked Mike Hamilton more than Fulmer. It was time for both of them to go way back in 2005.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

We are getting better. I don't know if it is Stokes, but he is a precense. (Beast).

eduardo writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

This conference is not happy unless the bell cow is in front. Let the blue money flow! Every recruit gets a philly!

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

I know Griff had to be in a hurry to get this out, but he'll take some teasing about South Carolina at Rupp. I let him off easy, because I have trouble with deadlines myself. As for the game, it sounds like Tenn was in a dogfight (pardon the pun) for most of the night. Still, they came from behind, closed it out with free throws, and took care of business. Hopefully they can do the same against the Gamecocks next week. Looking at the rest of the schedule, there are several winnable games there. Who knows? Maybe there's a chance for some post-season play.

givehim6 writes:

The Vols were due to win one, it was a home game and had lost a few. Now UT has won, thy will drop at least 2 or 3. I am not trying to sound trollish it has been UT's habit to play this way. I would love UT to prove me wrong and win the next 5 or 6.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to eduardo:

As a Tennessee fan, I hate to say it, but Kentuck doesn't need any calls. That's far and away the best team I've seen all year. The only squad that may be able to stop them will be Ohio State. Sullinger will have to play the BIGGEST and by BIGGEST I mean the most physical game of his life. Craft and Sullinger are the only ones that can come close to matching up with that.

UT4prez writes:

Nice win. I hope you are wrong decades. I hope we don't have to come back against SC. Sorry stepchild but no NCAA tourney unless we win the sec tourney. One thing is for sure. For once I feel like we are a team no one wants to draw in the sec tourney. That underdog that can rise up and beat anyone on a given night. Our RPI is too low for NCAA but we can finish strong and hit the NIT. One last thing as it comes up in every article. This is nothing like Buzzball or whatever people call it. Our record is similar to those under Buzz but that last year under him was horrible. This team gets to the rim and defends the rim way better than that team. And now I'm off the soapbox.

BolivrBob writes:

Good win! The score is just about right. Georgia played a great game. Only 5 turnovers to our 10, on the road. Didn't they beat Notre Dame on a neutral court?
I always liked Fox but after reading his comments, I wanted to female dog slap the little whiner.Find it odd, Swiper Boy only played 3 min after last game. I didn't get to watch or listen but I would think the dogs played a zone for most of the game. 3 ptrs at home heaven. Jarnell only had 5 pts but 9 strong rebounds. He's learning on the fly and its fun to see it develop, being tutored by THE Maymon, who is a battling son of a gun. The starting 5 doesn't matter, pretty interchangeable, really. Young team, with 4 jrs and 2 senrs, 12 freshmen and sophomores. Hard to believe Swiper Boy's a senior.
They are getting better. We need to only lose 2, at Florida and at Alabama, beat Vandy, Ole Miss and Arkansas at home and South Carolina and LSU on the road and end up 17-14. Some people call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

UT4prez writes:

Love the optimism givehim6. Yikes. Surely you don't think we'll lose to SC at home.

rootin4volz writes:

"Lineup change benefits Vols against Georgia, 73-62"
...Or maybe it was just the fact that Georgia has the worst BB team in the SEC.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

The thing about Kentuck is that they are long down low, but they are also one of the longest teams I've seen on the perimeter too. It's so hard to get a shot off against them and then they flip it on you on the offensive side of the floor. They use their length down low and then their guys seem like their arms are ten feet long inside and outside. They look like an NBA squad everywhere.

born2ride writes:

We will beat South Carolina at home but after that the wins will be hard to come by. May not win a game on the road this year.

givehim6 writes:

in response to UT4prez:

Are you been facetious? Anyway I hope UT wins there next 5 or 6, I was just talking about there past playing record this year, win one lose 3. If the Vols beat USC Sat. it will there first win streek this year. I hope they can do it.

CapStormfield_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

If trashing talking counted - you and UT would be undefeated. I bleed UK blue but you should give Vandy a little more credit. I couldn't believe they could win at Marquette. And they certainly spanked you in Nashville. I hope the UT players have more respect for Vandy than you.

alraguc#466367 writes:

Defense kept them in the game until the offense caught up. The offensive production in the second half was encouraging. Great win! Let's get a streak going.

CapStormfield_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Imagination is one thing. Class and respect are another.

Frankly, I don't blame you for the sentiment, but it isn't helpful for the team. The Vols desperately need to win at home. It does no good to piss off the Commodores.

BigOrangeVol writes:

in response to LJS1984:

Phillip was 11-6 (65%) versus UGA and out-scored them by 97 points during that period. UT beat them for eight straight years ('92-'99). I don't recall him ever coaching roundball at UT though.

During Hamiltons' tenure as AD the basketball team went 13-3 (81%) versus UGA. The Vols out-scored the Dawgs by 109 points during that period. They went 11-1 from 2004-2010.

That's a total record of 24-9 (73%) in both sports under the Fulmer/Hamilton era. I guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer because I'm obviously missing the point on your whole curse-theory conspiracy thing.

UT4prez writes:

Easy there givehim6. I graduated from UT. I did take a foreign language but apparently not the same one you did. Factious? Faucetous? Did I leave the water running? Anyway, we'll beat those c*cks of game. And we'll get at least one on the road b2r. Honestly, I don't think UK will win the tourney. Their style will allow teams to stay close from the round of 32 on and their guard play will be the downfall when they run into an experienced team with good guards. It depends on the draw but based on talent alone I do believe a final 4 appearance will happen.

Scooner, I don't condone UT players acting in such a manner. Unfortunately, every football team has players that would do such after a tough loss. You would hope the coaches would tell them to shut up or better yet maybe some leaders on the team. All I'm saying is that the incident is not unique to UT. Hopefully it was addressed in the locker room if for no other reason than the little ears in the stands that likely heard the same thing.

Cap, I assure you Vandy will have the full attention of the players after that beating. Their d suffocated us more than KYs in Rupp in my opinion. Don't go quoting stats. I'm going off what I saw. No doubt UK shut us down too.

BigOrangeVol writes:

85, I hate Vaundy more than Coach Cafego did! I was at the '91 game in Memorial Gym. VU wasn't even ranked. That was the most humiliating defeat I've witnessed in any sport at UT by any team in the last 52 years. We OWE them a 40+ point defeat to avenge that loss in the worst way!
Regardless of whether it's Football, Baseball, Mens or Womens Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Swimming, Soccer, Tennis or Track... ANY loss to Vaundy in any sport is unacceptable and intolerable!!!

BigHornBuckShot writes:

Big win....Can't loose anymore games at TBA to make it into the NIT. Must beat S. Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Vandy at home. Don't see us winning a road game so the home wins are a must. Even winning all our home games, we will still need to win one in the SEC tournament to get into the NIT, but lets take care of business at home first.

dirislr#209355 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Loved Goldens desire tonight.

Seemed to do him great to come off of the bench.

The passing was better tonight but it is still not very good.

Maybe they will get it together.

GO VOLS

The reason McBee plays a lot is because he plays hard on defense,and he doesn't turn the ball over.

TKO writes:

in response to LJS1984:

Just as long as they dont play Syracuse,who will win it all.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

It is attitudes like yours that cause people to tell you what to do specific body parts.

You should grow up. There is no need for you to constantly bash anyone. You don't play for Kentucky and therefore you do nothing for the team except show lack of maturity as a fan.

I don't know how Cal get's these type of players everywhere he goes,but I do know the NCAA has stripped him of 2 final 4 apperances as well as all 39 wins at Memphis.Will he do it again at Kentucky? Stay tuned to As the world turns.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

YAWN!

UT4prez writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

There's glass half empty people and then there's you. You don't even have a glass. You're right but that doesn't mean my expectations are lower for SC. You are also right that UT isn't very good. But as your name suggests, it doesn't matter. Most of us on here are fans whether they are good or not. Thank you for your contributions. Keep posting as it seems you are spot on.

wigmeister writes:

Hallelujah! Let the Lord be praised. They looked like a basketball team!

iowavol writes:

Good win. If we can win the ones we should win, we can make a post season tournament. The extra season and extra practice will help this team grow even more, especially Stokes. Like the upside potential, but he seems to be digressing rather than progressing. Yeah, Cam Tatum made a couple of baskets. Keep playing hard Vols and you will be okay.

GONAVY writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

It didn't seem to bother Xavier, Indiana State, Cleveland State or MSU...and no one from those teams had anything to say about Memorial. Many years ago in college, I heard a coach once say "losers find excuses; winners find a way". Hmmm.

OrangePride writes:

Fox has the audacity to say, "....made a few 3 pointers they probably haven't made over the last weeks?" Really??!! Did he check the stat sheet on his own team's 3-point production for the first half and game? That and some lights out foul shooting in the first half was all that kept Georgia IN the game.....and when that began to fail in the late second half, it was the end. What's more, Fox acted like a total jerk over the last 10 minutes of the game. He is not a classy guy at all, and I for one was glad to see him get his well-deserved heave-ho. The Vols played with intensity and grit all night. Good win for the team and Cuonzo.

TheFuj writes:

in response to eduardo:

KY really does not need the calls, but they sure get them. I watched the KY/AL game a few weeks ago; unbelieveable.
SEC needs KY to be on top and will make sure of it. Who else is going to travel to the tournament. Need them for TV as well. That is where the huge dollars are.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

What you said.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Vandy's BB court is to basketball what Boise State's football turf is to football.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

So many KY fans were in attendance that it looked like Rupp arena, and sounded like Rupp arena... No other team has the dedicated fans that KY basketball has...

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

Wouldn't surprise me... Most of 'em anyway.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

It's a shame a coach has to bench people to get them to put out for Tenn. What has happened to the men's programs?

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

I love the fact UT fans now have to cry that Vandy has an unfair advasntage..Gyms, turf, fields or benches dont win games, great players and coaches win games. UT has neither...

in response to HtownVol:

Loved Goldens desire tonight.

Seemed to do him great to come off of the bench.

The passing was better tonight but it is still not very good.

Maybe they will get it together.

GO VOLS

Some good points here. Golden looked rejuvenated coming off the bench. McRae continues to refine his game in productive ways. I too would like to know the plus/minus with McBee, but I suspect that it is not as negative as you assume, though I don't know that for sure, either.

Agree that the posts need to do a better job passing out of the double- and triple-teams, but the perimeter guys could do more to help them out. As I said on another thread, they need to work harder at getting favorable passing angles into the post to make the catch easier and help the post man to make a more decisive move quicker. It seems that when the ball does go into the post, the perimeter guys just stand and watch. When the pass goes in, the passer in particular should look to see where the double-team is coming from and relocate so that he is visible to the post man BETWEEN the double-teamers and open to receive the return pass. Just simply MOVING after the pass causes the defender to pay attention to the passer rather than looking for an opportunity to drop down as an additional help defender.

in response to UT4prez:

I agree that it is unlikely that the Vols will make the NCAA, but RPI is very changeable. If the Vols beat Vandy at TBA and somehow beat UF in G'ville--difficult but not impossible--their RPI could get into the acceptable range. Of course, as has been the case for some time now, they have almost NO margin for error, and even if they win all but one of their remaining conference games, they would probably still need at least two wins in the SEC tourney to have a ghost of a chance of making the NCAAs. Even just making the NIT would mean the Vols had a better season than many predicted in the preseason.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

probably

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Yeah, the Chickens look pretty bad this year. This may be it for Darren Horn. I thought he was a great hire for USCe after what he did at WKU, but he just really hasn't gotten it done in about four years now.

in response to CapStormfield_1:

Vandy has been almost as up-and-down as the Vols, though I admit that their highs have been higher than ours. Also, Vandy hasn't really lit it up in TBA in several years now. It is hard to imagine that Vandy will play as well as they did at Memorial Gym or that the Vols will play as badly. After all, UT was about 22 points better against UK at TBA than they were at Rupp, and the Vols are arguably better now than they were when they last played Vandy.