Shaun Ellis, Deon Grant's bond goes beyond football

Giants' Grant kept Patriots' Ellis going after near-fatal crash

The Giants’ Deon Grant helped Shaun Ellis recover from his accident. (Eric Gay / AP)

Photo by Eric Gay / AP

INDIANAPOLIS — Shaun Ellis feared for his life.

After falling asleep near the end of a 3½-hour drive from his home in Anderson, S.C., back to Knoxville, where he was a defensive end at the University of Tennessee, his car veered off the road.

If the Ford Taurus hadn’t become lodged between two trees after flipping twice, it would’ve tumbled down a mountainside.

“And that could’ve been it,” Ellis recalled. “I was fortunate. Luckily, I was able to survive. It wasn’t in God’s plans for me to go that day, I guess.”

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

Two great Vols For Life! I wish them both the best. I don't care who wins.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

The good Ole Days when UT lived and died with UT people like Fulmer,Chavis and Sanders. (Two of those beat UT this year) instead of trying to be a minor league Alabama. But we know most UT fans called them Fat Phil and Third and Chavious... How did firing those Vols for life turn out for you IDIOTS?

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Cut me I bleed orange! I liked CPF as much as the next guy but it was time for a change on Rocky Top! He simply stopped recruiting and had two losing seasons in his last four seasons. And we all know Sanders was never a good OC. And Chief was going to go out with Coach Fulmer. Stop living in the past! GBO!

Orangeblood13 writes:

how bout stop being a d-bag and read the article. I read your phooey along your other d-bag trolls and I don't get it. Has little man syndrome really got you down that much?

The article was for Deon and Shaun, nothing else. I get so sick of you and your dumb*** posters ragging every everything good bout UT. Get a life man

allvol8 writes:

I have had the pleasure of meeting Shaun..he is a great role model...he told me he hoped to get to the Superbowl before he retired. I just did not appreciate the way the Jets treated him...I support him..Jerrod..and Deon VFLs

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

The kind of comments one would expect from a Vandy Fan.

RockVegas writes:

I wish all the guys from the Winning Days could somehow play a role in the program.We could use them in recruiting,and just talking to the young guys about U.T.I finally see how it feels to always come up on the short end of the stick.I never thought I would see The University of Tennessee as a average program,as much as we have to offer.I love to see former Vols go to the next level and display their talents in any sport.I just wish they could come back alot more...GBO.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I could see why you'd want Phil to stay at UT. After all, he was the coach who lost to Vandy at home for the first time in 30 yrs.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to Fryinpansvols:

He's not living in the past. He's a Vandy fan who has vicarious enjoyment of UT's troubles, like all the rest of them.