Vols start spring practice March 26; Orange and White Game on April 21

Tennessee’s players will have to return from spring break ready for four consecutive weeks of football.

The Vols will begin spring practice March 26 and see it culminate nearly a month later at the Orange and White Game, which is set for April 21 at Neyland Stadium. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m. UT will practice four times during the first and third weeks of spring football and three times each on the second and fourth weeks.

Shortly before spring practice kicks off, UT will hold its Pro Timing Day on March 16 at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center. The event, which has typically been closed to the public, will allow certain former Vols and other invited athletes from around the area to train under the watchful eyes of NFL scouts.

The Vols will also host a slew of camps over the summer, starting with a Strength and Conditioning Coaches Camp on March 2 and 3. As it typically does, the Spring Coaches Clinic will run the weekend before the Orange and White Game.

Tentative Spring Practice Dates

March 16 – Pro Timing Day at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center

Week 1 – March 26, 27, 29, 31

Week 2 – April 2, 4, 6

Week 3 – April 10, 11, 12, 14

Week 4 – April 17, 18, 19

April 21 – Orange and White Game, 2:30 p.m.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolinCalif writes:

I have been saying 9-3 plus a bowl but I forgot about the O/W.So it will be 10- 3 + bowl we will win the O/w

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Calif Vol,

I like your thinking !

rtrchatt writes:

Pro Day? Why? Who, JJ has left the building...

keepitreal4vols writes:

I'm not sure Dooley can win a O/W game...just sayin'

LJS1984 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

8-5 is more realistic, with a win in the Peach Bowl (Chik-fil-A Bowl to those under 20).

born2ride writes:

6-6 is the best we can expect in Dooley's final year.

RememberWhen writes:

looks like April 21st will be the first TWO losses!!! This clown can't leave soon enough!!

mountainbrook writes:

in response to born2ride:

6-6 is the best we can expect in Dooley's final year.

The Negavols Forum is down the hall.

ShaversChoicewasbanned writes:

in response to born2ride:

6-6 is the best we can expect in Dooley's final year.

Too bad born2pout didn't get fired...your schtick is really boring

kcbigorngX writes:

More bodies to the defensive line. Talented, and bigger.

Headhunters and lock-down cover men in the secondary. Could grow into something special.

Speed, height, athleticism, and more speed coming in as offensive weapons. Wide open like a Spurrier team of the 90's.

This team will grow and become more dangerous as the season progresses. Florida will be a huge measuring stick...they have the prospects to field an elite level defense.

UT football is looking better than in a long time and the Dool-Aid is stronger than ever.

CroKev writes:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast...

(no offense meant to rtrchatt's chest)

born2ride writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

It's Phil Fulmer and I want my job back! :)

smyrnavol1 writes:

I hope I don't have to sit anywhere near most of you guys next year. Ya'll are a bunch of puscy...er I mean florida type bandwagon groupies. GOD Help ya! GO VOLS!!!

EHSvols23 writes:

Listen everyone, let's give the negativity a break. He's not gone, so he's not going to be gone before the season. If it doesn't work out this year, then you all will get your wish. Let's all get behind our beloved Vols, support them like true fans, and this kind just might get turned around. I truly think with the right start, get some momentum, and actually catch a break here and there, this team can go 10-2.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

More bodies to the defensive line. Talented, and bigger.

I 100% agree with you and looking at the schedule and not having to play top 10 back to back to back will be a big plus this year. from what I can see we should win 8 this year and with luck and limited injuries could win 9.

For all the Anti-Vol and Anti- Dooley posters the only reason you what him replaced is you know we are on the way up and the thing that would hurt the team is replacing the Head Coach again.

I really thing you should go to the Gator site or what every school you are really rooting for and write on their sites verse posing as Vol fans. Yes we know you all have many different names so you can agree with yourself, and this help you feel better about yourself. But you know what they say about people that talk to themselves (Rubber room here you come).

givehim6 writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

I'm not sure Dooley can win a O/W game...just sayin'

Yep the negative Volaholics got to get in training for a new season also.

chattabluetick writes:

Bryce Brown____He's going PRO yeah right! Time him in how fast he quit at K-State when he couldn't earn any carries!GBO I forgot he was a 5-Star the top player in the country, so much for ratings.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

More bodies to the defensive line. Talented, and bigger.

Give me three fingers in two different glasses please. Love that Dooaid. 9-3 +bowl and O/W

VolinCalif writes:

in response to EHSvols23:

Yesssssss! Yesss!

movol53 writes:

CDD IS the VOL Head coach so I support him. The problem with all of the negative folks is that they cannot name a better replacement for CDD that could be an actual candidate for the job should it come open. Yes all Vol fans would like a coach who could guarantee 10+ wins a season but sadly no one can make that guarantee and keep it every year. Rich Rod left a very successful program only to fall flat on his face at MICH; no guarantees the next guy will win. If I'm wrong please name a coach who would come to UT and be a GUARANTEED winner.

wigmeister writes:

I can tell you with confidence that TN will win the orange/white game. We will start off the season undefeated. Go Vols!!

proud2btnvol (Inactive) writes:

in response to LJS1984:

I am not sure many 30 year olds know about the Peach Bowl. How about the Blue Bonnet?

thevoice writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

The Negavols Forum is down the hall.

... just next door to the almost-vacant Reality Forum.

thevoice writes:

in response to movol53:

Judging from your tone, it sounds like you've already conceded Dooley is not the right guy. That's a good first step. Pay me the AD's salary and I'll find the next guy. Bottom line: Dooley is not the right guy, attempt to find someone who is.

And just because President Obama heads the country in which I live doesn't mean I support his strategy. Thankfully elections solve that problem.

Class of '88

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

And forgot about the 8 in a row.

MtJ_Orange writes:

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the upcoming season. Still ticked off about that lackluster effort in the final game.

TKO writes:

GBO!

nocleats writes:

The biggest burden and pressure between now and Sept. is and should be on Strength coach R Mckeefery. Its his work with EVERY player that will either make or break this team.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to born2ride:

6-6 is the best we can expect in Dooley's final year.

born2humpyomomma

time for you to go away

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

I'm not sure Dooley can win a O/W game...just sayin'

I'm not sure you've ever had an intelligent thought...just sayin'

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

looks like Feburary 8th will be the 100th ignorant POST!!! RememberWhen can't leave this site soon enough!!

Classof72 writes:

I'll be pleasantly surprised at anything better than 7-6. A 6-7 year would not surprise me. It will be interesting to see if Bray applies himself enough in the Spring to have a good showing in the O/W game. This is a program that has not demonstrated the ability to center the ball, block, run, punt or kick. Perhaps these things can be demonstrated in the O/W game, so there will be some basis for optimism. Let's hope so.

sbigdaddy writes:

I agree with the statment "no more negativity" I mean the loss to Kentucky should be out our system by now. Yeah it stings... But we need to rally behind what we have and pray for the best. I think with the new coaching staff that they will get the guys ready.. Also the 2010 class is ripe and ready to go. They will exceed and meet every expectation this year and going into next year. If we are injury free, we can go 10-2 and or 9-3 ans that is with us representing the east in the SEC championship game. Speak positive things and positive outcomes will happen.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to sbigdaddy:

The battle between Davy and Dannel lives on.

fbmf624#277664 writes:

once again looks like we have alot of florida gators on our page stop the negative talk this is his third year he is having to fix our team who has no support from the fan base here. if you can do a better job then apply. if not shut up and let the man do his job. how about the fans that showed love for the team no matter what. his first year he had to save a class that was leaving thanks to kiffen, second year he had to deal with injuries i want to see some applications from you couch coaches he should do this he should do that you should be the head coach seems you all are better for the job so go gget an interview and fix our problem other wise shutup

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to thevoice:

... just next door to the almost-vacant Reality Forum.

Reality? The blind optimists around here have never heard of the word.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to wigmeister:

I agree, should be a lock, also this could be the only time all year we have above .500 record.

Real "measuring stick" is nc state game since beating acc teams are as challenging for us the past years as beating SEC teams. acc team is closer to big boy pants football unlike UT Martin, w.ky or montana, our opening games the past 3 years.

hikerdude writes:

in response to movol53:

Saban

UTKnoxVols writes:

in response to GeneralRobertReeseNeyland:

Nobody here is saying Dooley is all that. The fans here like Dooley and hope he is successful. Because if he is then the Vols will be successful. He is the coach of the Vols, so they want to support him and the players.
This year will be the test if the team is competitive, which they weren't in some of the games last year, then he will continue to be the coach, whether you like it or not.
So to reverse your question, what if UT wins the SEC, will the fans that have faith in Dooley, get to say "We told you so?"
I don't know how many games we will win, but I honestly believe it will more than 4.
if Dooley eventually doesn't work out, then The Vols will be left with alot more talent than when he got here. You then complain about the fans not supporting Fulmer, but I am sorry but Fulmer was (used to be) a excellent recruiter, but how many of them players were coached up?
With all of the talent he had, he should have won more than he did. Thank Chavis and Cutcliffe for any coaching done.
Lastly you implied Fulmer didn't know his job was on the line "(had he known)". Why do you think he gave a million back to UT? He did it to save his job. Then he gets this big contract extension.
If in case he didn't know his job was on the line, then he was being naive, or arrogant that UT won't fire him. If that was the case, then they were justified in firing him.

tanasi2 writes:

I can't believe people in this country voted for Obama and I can't believe Vol fans failed to notice the RED flags that went up when 6 coaches left Dooley's staff!!!! These coaches left because they knew they were on a sinking ship. Dooley is gone after this year! His coaches know it and left for more job security. Don't you guys remember when Mike Hamiliton was jetting all over the USA looking for a coach and Dooley was all he could get? I think Dooley was his 6th or 7th choice because he could not get a winning coach from a good program to come here. My blood runs BIG ORANGE, but I expect the Vols to go 6-6 or 7-5 this year. Let's hope that Dave Hart will bring in a proven, winning coach to run this program in 2013!!! PROVE ME WRONG DOOLEY!!! GBO!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to tanasi2:

Vols,

Speaking of red flags...........when you observe
this guy and others like him........that should be a red flag for you.

Remember the certain screen names and know what you're going to get. Ultra-negative, living in the past individuals.

So many think they have the answers in February, 2012. They are praying they are right so they will not choke on their wild ramblings once the season arrives.

Actually best to forget this site ( if possible )and see what unfolds in the fall. Speaking of this site, it's inundated with Troll-aid drinkers.............and then there are genuine supporters of the Vols. You know who YOU are..........and the trolls know who they are..........just can't admit it!

tdvol1989 writes:

Well, let's just all find common ground. 2012 is definitely a football season we can ALL look forward to. If you believe in Dooley, you will be vindicated by his 8-10 wins. In that case, the Pro-Dooley's can lecture endlessly on how they stuck with DD with their unfailing loyalty and support. The Anti-Dooley's can then take credit for helping to create enough pressure to motivate CDD to excellence.

If we successfully execute the Wildcat to a 5 or 6 win season with a couple of embarrassing Nationally Televised Blowouts to go with that, then we will get a new coach from an A/D that had nothing to do with hiring Dooley. The Pro-Dooley's can proclaim that they knew he would fail all along, but that by showing their blind love for him, they were really supporting the program by remaining positive. The Anti-Dooley's will celebrate the beginning of the end of 4 TD losses in the SEC. And, this coach will have a better foundation of talent to start with and our new A/D will find a way to hire someone with some ties to Alabama...even if it is just that they stopped at a convenience store in Semmes,AL on their way to the beach when they were 13 yrs old.

Ahhhhh...the poetic symetry of life can never be matched. Scccccrrrrraaaatttccchhhh!!!!! Unless, Dooley wins 7 and gets blown out by Virginia in the Chick-Filet Peach Bowl. Oh no, then what happens???

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to movol53:

So, if I post some better replacement options, will you stop saying that the "negative folks" cannot name a better replacement? Will you back your own comment? You may not agree, but will you stop saying we don't have a better option?

Option #1 - Safe Transition

Hire Cutcliffe as Head Coach and name Kippy Brown the OC and HC in Waiting. Fulmer's best success was with Cut. He can flat out coach X's and O's and brings discipline. Surely, you remember the story about Cut making the Vols practice the break in the huddle because it was so lackluster and set the tone for sloppy play. Both coaches have Vol-connections and loyalty. Cut, may only have 3 or 4 more years so I want to set up Kippy to bet the coach. Good offensive mind and understands Wide Receiver U!

Option #2 - Golden Opportunity

So, if you can even SNIFF success at Temple, then you know what it is like to turn a loser into a winner. Don't you think he feels like he was sold a bill of goods? Great Coach who knows how to build a winner from nothing.

Option #3 - Capitalize on a Swampy Screwup

Dan Mullen is firey and if he can win at Miss St, he can win at Tennessee. If Muschamp does not win soon, this is the first option the fans will wish for. Beat them to the punch.

Option #4 - Gator Mistake #2

Why would the Gators hire a defensive guy other than Charlie Strong!? Don't know, don't care. Charlie is at least winning at Louisville and he knows the SEC.

Option #5 - Clearing the Conscience

Spurrier. This would exorcise demons for Spurrier and the Vols. He gets the recruiting platform to get a REAL team. The Vols can win with a guy they used to hate. He might just do it!

Option #6 - Bandwagon Hire

Mike London of Virginia. 4-8 to 8-5. Motivational and has at least coached some improvement.

Option #7 - Beat 'em to the Punch

Butch Jones at Cinn. He had a tough one his first year, but got 10 wins in his 2nd year. Winning is winning and someone who understands 10 wins and improving is worth a shot. Dooley never won 10 games in a season.

You ask for GUARANTEED and there is no such thing. But these guys have won and improved programs. Disagree if you want, but never ever say I did not name a better replacement. All have better resumes than Dooley.

SmokeyFTW writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Option #1 - Safe Transition

Option #2 - Golden Opportunity

Option #3 - Capitalize on a Swampy Screwup

Option #4 - Gator Mistake #2

Option #5 - Clearing the Conscience

Option #6 - Bandwagon Hire

Option #7 - Beat 'em to the Punch

Wow all you did was name coaches in general...but none of them would even be possible candidates for the UT job. You were just rambling on about diff coaches. DD is here to stay and I couldn't be happier with the progress he is making, despite the Kentucky game. Last year UT was hit with the injury bug and had no depth that is just a recipe for disaster. He kept together a good recruiting class and has the vols set up for a good season if they put in the work and believe. CDD is a winner. So quit calling for his head. Everyone starts from nothing to become something. Let him do his job.

tnfanincali writes:

in response to hikerdude:

Saban

Dude! Brilliant! Why didn't we think of that? Just offer the job to Nick Saban. Why would he ever turn it down? If I were in his shoes I sure wouldn't. I mean, to leave a National Championship team where he is earning $6 Million a year to coach at Tennessee? Why not? You should call Dave Hart right now and tell him your idea! Good thinking buddy!