Ex-UT coach Charlie Baggett to receive $425,000, per settlement agreement

Buyout pays WR coach as if he were fired

University of Tennessee assistant head coach and wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett runs drills during practice Haslam Field on  Thursday, August 4, 2011.

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, Saul Young

University of Tennessee assistant head coach and wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett runs drills during practice Haslam Field on Thursday, August 4, 2011. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Charlie Baggett

Charlie Baggett

When he resigned from his position as Tennessee's wide receivers coach in December, Charlie Baggett agreed to a settlement that will pay him as if he'd been fired.

In 24 monthly payments, which began Dec. 31, 2011, Baggett will receive a sum of $425,000, according to a settlement agreement obtained Friday by the News Sentinel. The $425,000 matches what Baggett would have earned if he remained on Derek Dooley's staff for the 2012 season.

Under the terms of his original contract, Baggett was not to be owed anything if he instigated the agreement's termination.

In a December interview with the News Sentinel, UT athletic director Dave Hart would not specify whether Baggett had resigned or had been fired.

A 34-year coaching veteran, Baggett was the first of six assistant coaches to leave Dooley's staff since the end of the Vols' disappointing 5-7 season.

At the time, a source told the News Sentinel that the 59-year-old Baggett had elected to retire.

UT, in his settlement agreement, urges Baggett to use his "reasonable best efforts to mitigate" the university's obligation to pay him by "making reasonable and diligent efforts" to land a similar position. Those positions include: assistant, associate or head men's football coach at a Division I college or university; professional football assistant or head coach; or media commentator with a national, regional or local network.

Baggett, who joined Dooley's staff in 2010 after one year with the St. Louis Rams, has yet to land a position that fits this description.

In exchange for the buyout payments, Baggett agrees to not pursue any legal action against the university or any of its representatives.

He also has agreed to "not make or issue public statements or take any actions that disparages" UT or any of its representatives.

Any breach of that agreement will cost Baggett $10,000.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Well no need to ask anyone if he resigned or was let go. We all know the answer now. He was forced to resign.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Dooley had his broom out after that Kentucky fiasco.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Tough economy? Not at UT.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Dooley had his broom out after that Kentucky fiasco.

Just as he should!!

underthehill writes:

If what was reported about how this coach was treated by DaRick was true..then there was no reason to believe he walked away without compensation. So I didn't think he did.

TheFuj writes:

So, he did not really "retire". Funny how it came out public the first time.
Just amazing in the coaches world how this money just flows.

Bigger_Al writes:

The big money boosters will pick up the tab. Us low-level posters and fans don't have to whine about how much this cost "us".

cincykid writes:

Vol for life? How about Set for Life - lot of coaches who pass through K-town become SFL.

Pullingguard writes:

Would love to know the real reason behind firing Baggett.. Don't think it could be coaching for his WR, or the best one left got over 1100 yds in receiving.. QB went down which reflects on success of WR also.. So just wondering, why was he let go....Pretty good recruiter also..Just maybe he told Dooley the areas needed to improve the communications and team morale.

TrouserCough writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

Just as he should!!

The University should have had the broom out for Dooley.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

How about backing up your prediction. Since you are so confident that UT will finish 5-7 or worse, how about you promise to never again post on this site if UT finishes better than that?

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to cincykid:

Set for life? On a paltry $425,000? Man, you must have low standards and live in a single wide.

jone8191#247590 writes:

The old saying in Tennessee used to be, "More money than sense."
Now it is Tennessee!!!

Hudro writes:

In this day and age there are normally only two kinds of football coaches...those who have been fired and those who are about to be fired. Those who go out on their own terms are very rare indeed. For example Paterno, Bowden, Fulmer, Majors, Tressel and on and on.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Hudro:

So, which category would Dooley fall into?

huntined#565710 writes:

Just have to wonder why they didn't just come out and say WE ARE FIRING HIM in the first place as it cost them the same!!!Unless they thought he was stupid and would go out and get another job.MAKES YOU WONDER WHO IS DOING THESE CONTRACTS. Don't you wish you had a contract like that with your company they fire you and they agree to still pay you for a year!!! Is this only going on in TENNESSEE???

CoverOrange writes:

So the administration lied to us again.

If Chaney is so well regarded, why did he stay?

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

This article is about Baggett not Dooley and it seems to me like this. If I made 425k as a WR coach at a major university in the SEC and couldn't handle a college kid under me because he had an attitude, I would resign too, and I wouldn't ask to be paid off. Some of you people need to get a grip and realize that everything that comes from these so called insiders is not usually the way it is. When you have 85 athletes to see after there are going to be some problems. Hopefully this year the rebuilding of our team will result in what we all want, a return to respectability and a chance to win every game. If it doesn't happen then we might have to make a change again.

chrisvol4ut writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Absolutely correct. They paid him to keep quiet about everything going on behind the scenes since Dooley never talks about any of it unless forced to. This actually works great for Dooley. The more money paid out for ex-coaches, the less money we have to pay Dooley's replacement.

volzcrushm writes:

in response to RatherBeDrivingaTitleist:

Amen!!!!

chrisvol4ut writes:

in response to RatherBeDrivingaTitleist:

In this rare instance (rare that Dooley is not comletely to blame), the blame actually lies about equal between Dooley and Hamilton for signing all of these nonsense contracts including the motherload Fulmer deal. Why do they bother signing long term contracts for people if they are going to fire them a year later, and as far as Dooley's blame in this, he is the head coach and needed to get a grip on this situation much sooner so that we would not have had to lose either Rogers or Baggett. If I were Baggett with his impressive resume and experience and knowledge of the game I wouldn't stick around and listen to some punk talk trash to me either while the head coach sits idly by and allows it to happen. Just reiterates the lack of leadership up on the hill. Oh well, at least Hamilton is gone. I am still fuming over that Fulmer buyout. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Fulmer, if he was such a terrible coach why did Hamilton sign him to a long term deal a year earlier? And if he was worth the long term deal just a year before, why would one season cause him to get fired? Makes no sense and is why Hammy is gone thank God.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

I wouldn't use creme and "mans man" in the same sentence.
By the way, were you in the room when he called Dooley out.

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

in response to chrisvol4ut:

So let me get this straight. If you were the CEO of a company and was paying one of your managers 425k a year and he only had 12 people working under him, if one of the employees started talking back to him you think he should this problem to you. You would be one heck of a boss to work for, personally I would have to ask myself why do I need him if he comes to me with all his problems and I end up having to deal with it myself anyway. But hey - different strokes for different folks I guess.

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

in response to RatherBeDrivingaTitleist:

Sorry, Meant to say "bring" this problem to you.

Classof72 writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

The irony is that it would not be surprising if Da'Rick were never to play as a Vol again, anyway. I hope he becomes a credit to the program, and helps achieve something meaningful. Based on recent history, I doubt it. There is no truth to the rumor that Coach Dooley is changing his first name to "De'Rek".

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

So predictable... it won't change.

Ayres_Hall writes:

The Legion of the Miserable have been silent for nearly a week, waiting to pounce.

Grantlands is a well-developed troll. All you others, you only wish you were as angry and spiteful as Grantlands.

I'll bet Charlie Baggett no longer wanted the 16 hour days, the baby-sitting, and constant attention to recruiting that is required to win in the SEC. That's fine. We don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here.

Too bad we can't also flush Grantlands and his minions.

tennezz writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Go play in the road!

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

By "my source" you must mean your imagination.

If Baggett gave Dooley an ultimatum like that and Dooley decided to keep Rogers, why would they pay Baggett $425K? They would have let him walk and owed him nothing.

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

You can get an attractive short double wide with the faux stone underpinning pretty cheap. $425K is a "decent" chunk of change but I could hardly retire in the lap of luxury on that amount.

dj54 writes:

like leftovers? another HAM SAMMICH !!!! Glad the Turkey is outta here too!

chl1958 writes:

I guess with that payment he really Bagged it!

RockVegas writes:

I can't believe this,now I've heard it all.Why is CDD running off all the good coaches.I also heard it was alot behind Chuck Smith leaving,and Chuck is great at what he does.I also understand coach is a hard person to deal with,I've heard that many times.It would be different if he was hard to get along and winning,but he don't win,so he runs off all the coaches with an opinion about certain things.I had heard things like this was going on but I didn't have any proof.I love The University of Tennessee but I'm tired of our D-II coach.He is a smart man so maybe he needs to go run a Fortune 500 Company but he's no real coach.No wonder we can't land any big time recruits anymore,I'm threw with our lawyer trying to be a coach....GBO.

hueypilot writes:

It would be nice to know what really happened but I can't believe Baggett couldn't handle a kid. He holds the power over playing time. No play, no NFL. Sure he could transfer and be labeled a malcontent, a discipline problem and Baggett with his contacts in the league could poison the well for Da Bum. Baggett had all the power over Da Idiot and the only case I can think of where he had a case for leaving is if Dooley overruled Baggett's authority or took Da Jerk's side vs Baggett. If that is the case Dooley has no shot at becoming a successful HC and Hart should have started looking for a new guy last December. Or maybe Baggett with a sweetheart deal like $207,500 a year for the next two, decided to play golf and kick back. The real fault lies with Hamilton and this utterly absurd contract.

MikeInTN writes:

Not a football season ticket holder, but if I was I sure would be ticked about all the money U.T. has been paying coaches not to coach the last several years. Where do you think a lot of your money is going when you pay for those high priced tickets??? Just hope that Mr. Hart will not let things like this happen in the future.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

You wouldn't know a fact if it hit you in the face. You claimed Kiffin was a good recruiter. He recruited so poorly that only 9 of his 22 recruits remain. That's what we call a FACT.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Your 1st para is barely decipherable as proper english and I stopped reading after the 1st sentence in the 2nd para. Usual baseless ranting from Beans and Rice.

If Baggett is really "... universally recognized as one of the top wide reciever assistants...," why in the hell is he still sitting at home for a lousy $425k? $425k is chump change for any "... universally recognized ..." anything! Of course, just like your hero Phil Fulmer sitting home collecting $6 mil, NO ONE ELSE WANTS HIM. Coach Dooley should get his wrist slapped for giving this coaching has-been a job and a bonus for throwing his butt out the door.

Why do you waste your time posting this nonsense? Must be your desparate way of getting attention. Sad ... really sad.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

How I wish I could afford a 1/2 million dollar single wide. A lot of people ESPECIALLY TODAY, would love to have 425,000 bucks handed to them because they couldn't handle a 19 year old kid yelling at him. Heck for that kind of money I'd have slapped Rogers to the ground on national television.

Aparently you are one of those high dollar rednecks from k-town. Boy I sure don't miss that area. First time EVER that I think I'm glad I'm in Texass!

GerryOP writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

$425k is a big payout to you? Interesting...

GONAVY writes:

in response to dj54:

like leftovers? another HAM SAMMICH !!!! Glad the Turkey is outta here too!

pretty good :)

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

The most common sense post in a long time. "We" and "Us" what a joke!

Hound_Dog69 writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Bagget was so good that other teams couldn't wait to hire the cream of the crop to coach on their team. How old are you ? 18 maybe 20 and as mature as an 8 yr old with your childish rant. It sounds to me that most of these coaches were asked to leave in the so called exodus, we know LT was not under contract in his last days on the coaching staff. In the past you were running down the very coaches you are now saying were good coaches. UT is much better off with the new coaching staff members and your childish rants just make you look like the fool that you truly are!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

Your sources? Tehehe...
An active imagination and a jar of petroleum jelly?

voloffaith writes:

Don't le them hurt your feelings Jeffrey.....we are a hard group who try not to shoot our own wounded of which you obviously are. I say that because your continual negative overtones with some good facts mixed in at times show that someone or some group hurt you badly and now you must continually stike out. I hope at some point in time you get relief for this as it can only morph into physiological issues as well with all the pent up pain and suffering that needs healing. Joy is a wonderful thing when not derived at someone else's expense. I hope you get there one day as Jesus did for me in 1982.

On TOPIC, Coach Baggett at one time was being rumored to be going to Mich St with Arnett and that one didn't come to fruition. Maybe ,as others have said,he just got tired of all the games and intricacies of college coaching.

cincykid writes:

in response to etu_vol_fan:

Look at the Dow around Sept/Oct 2011 and near 13000 a few days ago - I would have been in and out and collected a good payday - just like Monte K's bonus before he headed west...also I meant ALL the coaches that passed through here ended up with varying amounts of buyout cash, longevity bonuses, etc. Not like Monte, Charlie et al are struggling to put kids through college at their age - these payments are pure gravy to them.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

outoftune you are a joke. "Sources" bwahahaha you are a freakin Gator fan. You are a pot stirring joke LOL

GerryOP writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

I know nothing about you or your sources, but if coach Dooley was faced with that choice, he made the right choice. Baggett is unemployed, Da'Rick is set for a breakout year with our footVols.

VolMoment writes:

Baggett according to some went to Dooley with his problems. I agree with RatherBeDriving aTitliest. I was witness to a lawyer in a corporation getting fired for asking CEO what to do with parking tickets some of the company trucks received.It taught me a lesson in my young career. Handle what you are paid to do. Dooley is headed to good things and the negative people about UT,church and family are blind to the real world.

CroKev writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

OK, that's it! Merlot, I'm sick and tired of your mmhmm's...

DarkGable writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

That doesn't make sense because if he called Dooley out he could then be fired for insubordination. Nobody really knows it just leaves people open to speculation. From my speculative point of view sounds to me like Dooley with Harts backing wanted to part with everyone and get an SEC caliber coaching staff that understands his philosophy. If Dooley outright fired him Bagget could probably pull the race card. That wouldn't be good for the program. Interesting that he did in turn hire two up and coming African Americans. And no thats not racist to say, its just an opinion from an African American who has seen similar situations. And it doesn't mean that letting Bagget go was a bad thing, Dooley just didnt want a disgruntled ex employee.

Share your thoughts