Signee Derek Reese impressed with Vols' run

UT signee Derek Reese talks about watching the Vols play

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Perhaps the only person in the O'Connell Center wearing a smile as big as the victorious Tennessee men's basketball team was Vols signee Derek Reese.

Reese, one of three members in UT's signing class of 2012, made the drive up from his home in Orlando with his mother to watch Tennessee score a 75-70 victory against No. 8 Florida on Saturday afternoon.

"I was expecting the game to be closer; that was a real good win, real important,'' said the 6-foot-8, 200-pound Reese, whose Olympia High School team is preparing to start the state playoffs. "The players fought and played hard. I enjoyed this game.''

Reese, a wing who can play on the perimeter or post up, is averaging approximately 13 points and nine rebounds playing in Florida's largest high school classification level (Class 8A).

Reese is rated as a three-star prospect by 247Sports.com and Rivals.com, but he is confident he has more to offer the UT program than what those ratings might suggest.

"I think the key for me is my versatility,'' said Reese, who signed with the Vols in November, has academically qualified and plans to enroll the first term of summer school. "I can guard a lot of positions, and I'm 6-8 but I can shoot the three. Coach (Cuonzo) Martin said he sees something in me.''

Reese said he's not surprised by Tennessee's recent run of success.

"I think it's a result of Coach Martin's mentality,'' Reese said. "He's tough-minded and he's going to make you play hard and get the most out of you, and that's how the successful teams do it in sports.

"That's what I was looking for in a college coach.''

Reese said he can't help but be impressed with UT mid-term enrollee Jarnell Stokes, a 6-foot-8, 270-pounder.

"Stokes, man, he's a beast,'' Reese said. "It's hard to believe I actually could be playing against him because he could still be in high school. I'm glad he's going to be on my team.''

Reese has attended one UT home game, the Vols' 64-49 win over Auburn on Jan. 28.

"I loved the atmosphere,'' Reese said. "When they were calling out the starting lineup, I was getting goosebumps. I wanted to play.

"I can tell the fans care about the team.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to Pat777:

I'm looking forward to seeing this young man compete wearing the orange. Great win tonight over the hated gators! Especially sweet with the reptiles being rated #7. GBO

wigmeister writes:

Can't wait to see you in orange. You will be welcomed with open arms.

formerflgranny writes:

Glad you signed with TN...you will love it here!

oldster writes:

Seems like Reese may be a good luck charm as the Vols have won the games he attended.

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

He hasnt made his decision yet...apparently still weighing his options.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Keep coming to the games. We'll nick name you "Lucky" Reese.

1vavolfan writes:

Hope this kid works out, we don't lose much talent this year but a bunch next season. The Edwards kid isn't even leading his community college team in scoring.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Reese could be a very important player for this team. Hall, Maymon, Miller, and possibly Stokes will leave after next year, which will be Reese's first year. that means he may be pressed to become a power forward at 6'8", although if he can shoot the three, we may want him as a small forward. So could become an important hybrid to the team.

underthehill writes:

If Martin sees potential in this guy then he must have it..

iowavol writes:

I like the sound of a 6'8" guy who can shoot the long ball. Look forward to watching him next year.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Welcome young man! I enjoyed the Florida beatdown too. I wish you alot of success wearing the orange.

Go Vols!!!!!!

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

I'll take any player with any rating if he will play as hard as anybody on the current UT squad.
Bring your game, son, and let CCM mold you into his type of player. You'll do well in Knoxville.
Just come on.

Germanicus writes:

Deep_Thinker writes:

So far, coach Martin has proven to be a good evaluator of talent, and character. I am looking forward to seeing this young man in an orange uniform. Go vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Bodeanvol:

Hmmm...I hope Florida keeps Donnigan...dilligan??? what's his name?

Seriously we got a good rivalry going. I think we may be up on them since the Donnavan regime.
It's probably been posted but I wonder what the series tally is since he's been there. You could say 2-0 for fla. with the NCs and all but I think we(UT) have more wins??

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Deep_Thinker:

I suspect we'll get a couple more as well before 2013. We NEED a back up point guard even if Washpun improves...as he should. One thing for certain is Golden will be here a couple years(unless he's picked as a point guard next level). I'm beginning to wonder if we'll keep Maymon next season. But seriously just think how good he's gonna be next year if he keeps his attitude. Richardson was playing very well last night also.
Golly I think Martin should be a pro talent scout and make lot's more money. What do scouts make? nah we'll keep him.lol
We're looking very good for next season and I hope to see a couple more semi pro's in the lineup.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

Welcome, Derek. You are correct, we DO care about our teams...all of them...and the people who compete on behalf of our beloved university.

We look forward to having you in Knoxville!

jimr07 writes:

I guess Florida didn't want him..

1vavolfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Maymon will be here, he's not even on the NBA radar. If he were 3 inches taller though he'd be a lottery pick.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I just love beating floriDUHHHH especially with them being ranked so high.

Even sweeter when we beat them at their house.

WELCOME to this fine young man who's going to love it at UT and will make a great career for himself.

VFL...GBO!!!

HtownVol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

We have a backup PG coming, the transfer from Clemson.

I dont think we can sign any more for the next class, Stokes counts toward that class. 3 coming in and only lose 2 (up and down Tatum and the rapper who has ad 3 good games in 4 years - UK this season, the 17 point game vs Chattanoga(??) and the Kansas game his sophmore year).

We actually are bringing in 4 players but the transfer will be a walk-on.

I love the direction UT is headed...HOWEVER, we all know that if we are honest with ourselves we are going to need a few more big time recruits to be a contender in the national picture.

I have no doubt C Martin will have UT in most games with their defense and hard work but I am not sure that will get UT into the top tier of teams contending for a National Championship, isnt that the goal?

Dont get me wrong, I see UT on a path to be a very solid team but I will take a couple of 5 star recruits any day over 3 stars who play hard. Say what you will about Hopson but he was always UTs most dangerous option.

GO VOLS

DougSharp writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

I just love beating floriDUHHHH especially with them being ranked so high.

Even sweeter when we beat them at their house.

VFL...GBO!!!

The Gators ranking all year has been a joke. I've never thought for a minute they could beat a legitimate top ten team. We actually beat a 18th or 19th ranked team, yet still it was a ranked team on their home floor.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Maymon is not going anywhere before next season. He would have to play small forward, where he will be expected to shoot from the perimeter and guard other small forwards out there. He may develop his perimeter game a bit next year, since the Vols will be pretty well off in the post, but next year he will be a senior anyway. Pro scouts don't make nearly as much as Martin does now and the incessant travel is brutal for a family man like he seems to be.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to HtownVol:

We have a backup PG coming, the transfer from Clemson.

We actually are bringing in 4 players but the transfer will be a walk-on.

GO VOLS

Yes, I think contending for a NC is the goal. At least, it should be the goal. And you are right about needing some elite recruits to get there. But first things first - Martin has to put his brand on things and prove that he can win before the elite talent will come. He's already gotten nicely along the way so far.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

I continue to think our best option at the three will be Maymon. I realize he is not a great outside shooter, but he has a decent mid-range shot. And he is quick with both hands and feet, which should allow him to play defense well on the perimeter. And he is one of the best ball handlers on the team, so he could play the three on offense. And it would allow Hall as a senior to play one of the post positions with Stokes and give us a powerful front line. Think of the rebounding power and floating between inside and out. And if Maymon is to have a pro future, he must prepare for being on the perimeter. At 6'6", he will never be an inside player in the pros. And really, he gives up a lot of height to those 6'9" power forwards in the college game now. I remember reading how he came to UT wanting to play more on the perimeter, it is his natural position, he thinks. So since we have a need for a three next year and he might want it, why not? It's not like we have another great three waiting in the wings. Reese will be a freshman, Richardson doesn't score, McRae is too skinny, and who knows about Edwards?

wigmeister writes:

Wouldn't it be nice to get a 7 foot center that can really play and run the 40 in 5 seconds. Think what that would do for the other guys. However, that is a pipe dream that doesn't exist.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to wigmeister:

People said we couldn't land Stokes, too. Never underestimate a person like Coach Martin. I agree with getting a 6'10" to 7' guy that can get up. We get that and a true point guard....look out! I think we are well on track ahead of schedule considering what happened with the Pearl situation. It's going to take me a little longer to fully get over Pearl but I do think Coach Martin was a very good choice and it is already taking shape.

Go Vols! Keep working hard and stay hungry.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

One of the big targets for the 13' class. He really likes CCM and UT.

in response to Bodeanvol:

Seemed like the place was pretty full at the start, but no doubt he had a lot more choices of seats as the game went on. BTW, Reese looked pretty skinny in his video cameo. He seems to be built along the lines of Richardson. It would be nice if he can contribute as much next year as Richardson has this year. He might even have a better shot, which, honestly, might not be saying much. As long as he comes in ready to work on defense as much as Richardson did, he can still be a big help even if he isn't that much of an offensive threat right out of the gate.

in response to VolunteerLifer:

You make some decent points. I guess it all depends on what he works on in the off-season. On the other hand, look at Dale Ellis' career. Under DeVoe, he was mostly a post player on offense, using a dazzling array of pivots, great timing, and quick leaping ability to score with ease inside. He hardly took a shot longer than 15'. Then he turns pro and becomes one of the all-time great outside shooters. At this level, Maymon is becoming a tremendous low-post scorer, a weapon no coach could be happy about giving up. However, if Stokes can become the kind of low-post presence Maymon is this year, maybe Martin can afford to let him play outside more. If Maymon and Stokes really do develop that kind of game, the Vols could REALLY make some noise next year.

As for all these comments about wanting to get a better PG in here, surely we can agree that Golden is not quite the total loss at the position some of us might have assumed earlier in the season. He really does seem to be learning on the job and we will likely have him for two more years. Hopefully, we can groom somebody to take over for him when he leaves, but let's not relegate him to the scrapheap or even to the 2-guard spot just yet.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agreed. He has been inconsistent this year, but he has also been improving as he goes. This is his first full year of organized ball playing point guard, last year he was a little used backup and in HS he was a shooting guard. Having a couple of games like the last two gives us reason to believe he will be a good one next year. I think we will have ourselves a good point guard for the next two years. BTW, CCM says he will not be tried at shooting guard at UT, which makes perfect sense to me.

Vols17 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

stokes wont leave

Ironcity writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Whats exciting is that other players are helping Golden bring the ball up. Mcrae in particular has really done a good job of breaking pressure and getting the ball up court. Golden is a good player that just has to learn where he can and cannot go on the court. He could have easily had 10-12 assists if guys would have made a few bunnies and some wide open threes.

One thing is for certain, he absolutely owns Walker.

FanNotSheep writes:

Great idea by John Pennington on his TV show today: Let UT and Arkansas play basketball in Memphis every year, maybe at the FedEx Forum. That way Pastner can quit crying about his little kittens having to play the big, bad Vols anymore and the Memphis high school kids can watch some SEC basketball.

Good for Arkansas as well, because Pastner apparently doesn't want to play them either, and we don't have to waste any more football Saturdays on Tiger High. Might even try to work out that deal with Missouri to save on travel.

in response to Vols17:

stokes wont leave

He won't leave after THIS year because of the NBA draft rules. However, it is just wishful thinking to believe that he won't leave after NEXT year, which is what VolunteerLifer said, if he becomes the kind of superstar we hope he will. He seems to be the kind of sincere, humble, education-minded kid we want him to be. That is why a little part of him, and a BIG part of us, will feel bad about having to leave for all those NBA millions. He would be a fool to do otherwise, and I don't think he is.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Exactly. That's what I'm getting at. We might be among the nation's best next year with a front line like I am describing. It is likely that Stokes will develop the necessary low post game between now and next season. After all, he's a five star recruit gaining great experience this year. And Kenny Hall, who is making improvement in leaps and bounds this season, is available next year as a senior. And he has always wanted to play with his face to the basket. As a senior, he will be physically and mentally ready to start at the four. The way to take advantage of all these blessings is to move Maymon to the three. I think if CCM will let them have those positions next season, those two kids will be in the gym all night long between this season and next perfecting their jump shots.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

It not about leading your team in scoring, D. Bradshaw showed that a couple of years ago. I will take 5 guys who has 12-16 ppg over one who has 30 ppg. It is a team sport not tennis, it takes 5 solid players to make a team. For instance TN vsLSU during Pistol Pete's" years.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to HtownVol:

We have a backup PG coming, the transfer from Clemson.

We actually are bringing in 4 players but the transfer will be a walk-on.

GO VOLS

Hopson was the biggest disappointment to ever play for TN., and him going pro help our team not hurt it. I am sure he will not but I wish Stokes would stay for 4 years. He will go pro either next year or after his Jr year.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Lol? Why do you Intelligent posters always respond to the post I make in which I ain't being real serious as if I am!?
I was really only saying Martin was a fine judge of latent talent. Also i don't think Maymon would go ever as a NBA post player.
If like you say he develops a guard's perimeter play then who knows? He's already a decent ball handler. He isn't that I've seen quick enough for guard play. Maybe small forward. I don't know. All I know is I love to watch him play.

carbonzip writes:

Imho, Golden is well on his way to becoming one of the top pg's in the sec. coach martin is developing his players.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Well, Moc, sometimes you say smart things without even realizing it! I guess that makes you the "idiot-savant" of this board(;-P)! If Maymon moves off the post, it will be to the 3-spot, i.e., small forward. Of course, to make it at the next level, he would almost have to migrate to the 2-spot, i.e., shooting guard, since he would have a REAL problem guarding 3-men such as Dirk Novitski or Kevin Durant, both of whom would have about six inches on him. Still less could I see him covering Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade at the 2-spot, so I guess I'm saying his chances of playing pro ball are limited to playing overseas.

VAvolfanRON writes:

come on board!!!!....sounds like a good young man!!!!!

love it

in response to Juzkruzin:

Agree about Hopson; I can't in my wildest dreams see Hopson getting fully on board with Martin's program, and that is the only way Martin would put up with him. I would be overjoyed if we got two more full years out of Stokes, but we should just be happy with this half-year and the next full one, since that is all we are likely to get. The only way that wouldn't happen would be if he regressed as a player or had a serious injury, and neither of those things would do him OR us any good.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to Vols17:

stokes wont leave

hope you are right. but, its your opinion. OR...OR are you STOKES?...lol....i hope you stay

VAvolfanRON writes:

zz hasnt been on???....i guess when you are owned in basketball, you stay away

Germanicus writes:

Why did my link to Derek's season stats get removed? There was no language issue. Just the link and his numbers - 9.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg 36 pct FGs and 29 pct from the three line.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yes, you are correct that we must plan on him leaving after next year in order to be ready if he does go. However, a number of savvy observers close to the scene say he will likely stay an additional year. My guess is that if he thinks his junior year will be a championship run possibility, he'll stay. If not, he'll go. But who knows. The important point is that CCM has to plan for the contingency that he leaves after next year just in case he does.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I say Stokes stays and we get at least 2 more 4-5 star players or equivalent that stay here their whole career we win 2 NCs in the next four years.

Because I want it!! OR Because I said it'll happen.

Keep in mind I'm NOT a prophet.

Hey I bet UT's pockets are as deep as Kentucky's.lmao

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Because I want it!! OR Because I said it'll happen.

Keep in mind I'm NOT a prophet.

Hey I bet UT's pockets are as deep as Kentucky's.lmao

Your keyboard to God's eyes, buddy! I would not be totally shocked if Stokes decided to stay past next season, but it is still hard to imagine. I would rather not count on it and be happily surprised if he does stay. At least his parents, professional educators, don't seem desperate for him to buy them a house and he personally doesn't look like a "bling" guy to me.