Jeronne Maymon a key to breaking Arkansas' press

Razorbacks' defense is reminiscent of 1990s teams

Jeronne Maymon

Jeronne Maymon

Arkansas plans to bring "40 Minutes of Hell" to Knoxville tonight.

It's nothing personal; it's the Razorbacks' men's basketball motto making a return with new coach Mike Anderson, who once served as an assistant on Nolan Richardson's 1994 national championship team that made the phrase famous.

Arkansas (17-8, 5-5 SEC) will press, trap, run and gun against Tennessee (13-12, 5-5) today (TV: MyVLT, 8 p.m.) at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Razorbacks are leading the SEC in steals (9.3 per league game), turnover margin (plus-four) and 3-point field-goal percentage defense (26.3 percent), all signs Anderson's system is having the desired effect.

Arkansas has yet to win a road game, but it's worth noting the Hogs have tripped up No. 23 Mississippi State (98-88, Jan. 7), No. 17 Michigan (66-64, Jan. 21) and Vanderbilt (82-74, Jan. 31).

The Vols, looking to match their season-best win streak of four games, insist they aren't panicking over the concept of being pressed for 40 minutes.

On the contrary.

"If you're gonna press me, I'm gonna attack you,'' UT sophomore point guard Trae Golden said Monday. "The way I see it, we should just attack the rim and go head-on into it.''

Vols coach Cuonzo Martin had an opportunity during the past three years to watch Anderson run his tenacious system while both were coaching in the state of Missouri. Martin also was an assistant at Purdue when the Boilermakers split a pair of games against Anderson's Missouri team.

"For those guys, (pressing) is constant, it's from start to finish — it's not a case of let's press a couple possessions,'' Martin said. "They will run and jump at you ... it's one of those deals they keep running guys at you.

"They'll switch everything on the back side, so it's not a case where you feel like there's a sigh of relief. They're still pressuring you, and they won't allow you to let up.''

Golden, who hasn't had much of a problem handling token presses thrown at him by various opponents, said it's a matter of poise.

"We just have to execute our offense, be calm, know what a good shot is, and not let that press affect us,'' Golden said. "They may try to get the ball out of my hands, so everyone has to be ready to attack.

"Having a guy like Jeronne (Maymon) is a huge advantage, and Cam (Tatum), Jordan (McRae) and Skylar (McBee) are all capable of bringing it up, too.''

Martin said Maymon is the key member of that group.

"We try to move it through the air (against the press) as opposed to a lot of dribbling,'' Martin said. "Jeronne is a key with our press more than anybody. He does a really good job of facilitating; he's one of our better ball handlers and decision makers.''

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound Maymon got a chuckle out of hearing that he was praised for his ball handling.

"You know all big guys want to be guards sometimes,'' Maymon said. "I wasn't as tall in high school as I am now, so I've always handled the ball. I just try to keep it simple and bring the ball up, not trying to make any spectacular plays.''

UT freshman Jarnell Stokes, who was heavily recruited by Anderson's staff going back to his freshman year of high school, said he's not overly concerned with Arkansas' vaunted attack.

"I definitely think I can bring the ball up against the press, because I saw a lot of that in high school,'' the 6-foot-8, 270-pound Stokes said. "I've definitely worked on my ball skills, and we've done pretty good against the press this season. It's just meeting the ball and making the right pass.''

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

The quotes in the article said it all. If the guys can stay cool and not let the press get into their heads, they can win this game. The press is a two-edged sword. If teams break it with an attack mentality and make the right decisions, they can get layups all night. If a pressing team doesn't get a lot of points off turnovers, they often don't execute that well in the half-court offense. For one thing, the press takes a lot of practice time to perfect, meaning that there is not enough time to work a lot on half-court offense. For another, the press means lots of shuffling players in and out of the lineup, so they seldom have the same five on the court for more than a few minutes; half-court execution requires a degree of cohesion difficult to achieve in that system. GO VOLS!!! GO ZO!!! JUST WIN, BABY!!!

thevoice writes:

Sure would be a good time for a serious break-out game for Mr. Stokes.

CoverOrange writes:

What's a "kee" and why is Jeronne one? LOL

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

What's a "kee" and why is Jeronne one? LOL

LOL!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Unfortunately, these guys have probably forgotten all they learned under Pearl (if they learned any at all since he had gotten away from the press the last couple of years). Key to breaking the press consistently is to not leave the man with the ball by himself in the backcourt. Always provide an option.

VolunteerLifer writes:

They're still a bunch of freshmen. And we have a deep bench. Maybe we should press them back.

clvolfan writes:

in response to thevoice:

Sure would be a good time for a serious break-out game for Mr. Stokes.

But please,I will hold my breath if he tries to bring the ball up.He just needs to hold on tight and go hard to the goal.

lomas98 writes:

Should be an interesting game. Hopefully ark will wait to win their first road game, they have had some solid wins at home. I think they are more on the NCAA bubble compared to tn right now and a road win over a team just off their own road win will help their perception. Early in the season pressing tn would be an easy turnover. Golden has played well recently and hope it continues, we will need him tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how we handle this type of pressure.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

IMO our PG play is key. A major reason, if not THE reason for our recent turn around is McBee, and McRay. If it ends up being an up and down game, they might wanna guard McRay. He's been playing well, and just seems like the type of dude who could go off in an up-tempo game.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

I want to see Tyler McThree setting up beyond the arc for the wide open treys! I like the passing strategy to beat the press! We MUST take care of the ball, though! GBO!

wigmeister writes:

Maymon has become the pillar upon which this team revolves. I hope the players continue to watch and learn from his work ethic. Stokes should be learning a lot from him. He will teach Stokes to not be afraid to mix it up. With the bigs doing their job, the press should not be a problem.

CrankE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

What's a "kee" and why is Jeronne one? LOL

Isn't "kee" short for a . . .um . . . kilo?

BigHornBuckShot writes:

Not to worried about the Arkansas press. We are playing at home and you will see more hand checks and blocks tonight than you ever thought possible. Keep on pressing and we will keep on shooting free throws. Tomorrow we will wake up 13-12 (not counting the exhibition game vs. Charminade) and will be full steam ahead for a NIT championship.

CrankE writes:

Beating the press starts as soon as Arky makes a basket. First one to the ball must inbound it quickly to the first available Vol. Don't give the press time to set up. When a team watches the ball bounce and roll-waiting for THE inbound person to get there, they invite the press. Move your feet, move your butt, and move the ball.

Another option is to put KNS staff journ-o-list trolls like Adams into the stocks, provide a big pipe wrench and charge $5 for 1 minute of beating. 40 mintues of hell? No, 24/7 . . . Xtra! The line would stretch around the city and Volunteers from Bristol to Bolivar would drive in to tailgate that! Now that's beating the press, baby!

DougSharp writes:

Interestingly, the timing of the game has an impact here. ESPN just released the Nolan Richardson special this past weekend. I'm quite sure that all the Arkansas players have watched it at least once (probably mandated)and I'm quite as certain this will have them motivated to a pitch. Kinda like all the small tough-nose kids trying to earn a spot on the football team as walk-on at their college after watching the movie Rudy. The 'Backs will come out trying to mimic the same type of intensity they see as their school's legacy now. The difference is, (IMHO)THIS team hasn't been drilled to a point they can bring 20 minutes of hell, much less a full game's worth. I'd like to get out a run a 5K today, but I'm not exactly in shape to do so but I'd give it hell the first half mile or so.

The Vols should focus on weathering the storm of excitement in the first five minutes, then everyone will settle into the routine they've been playing all season. It's a good thing, it's in K-town, so I don't suspect Arkansas will get off to a 12-0 start as they may if it had been at the Bud. Not mentioned (but by name)in the article, but I was impressed with McBee's ability to get the ball up court when Florida started pressing late in the game. He'll be a key as well as the big man!

SonsOfTennessee writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Wow...with your grammar I'd recommend just keeping your comments to yourself

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Until Arkansas proves they can beat anybody on the road this season(0-8 straight up,1-7 vs the spread) have to give a small nod to UT. McBee has averaged 14ppg since he became a starter and has hit a zone busting 50% from the three. Will be interesting to see the Old Bruce Pearl style of pressure defense vs Martins controlled offense. Looks like a game worth watching. Lucky for UT this one is in Knoxville.

hikerdude writes:

Man, its going to be a fun game. My money is on UT.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Have to agree. I've been impressed with McBee, McRay, and Hall as of late. I think we all are gonna have to accept Hall's game for what it is, strong defense and rebounding. As for McBee, he has his confidence and is the most improved player on the team IMO. With McRay, we all knew he had the talent, but it seems as if the light has came on in his head. I've said it and I'll say it again...McRay has the make up of a stone cold scorer, somewhat of a street ball style. If this is a fast paced game, he's the type of dude that can go off. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a fair amount of PT and have a productive game tonight.

orangeJACKET writes:

FOR GOD'S SAKE GUYS. ( I MEAN FANS) COME TO THE GAME!!!!! NO EXCUSE FOR ANYONE TO HAVE TICKETS AND NOT SHOW. IF YOU HAVE SEATS DOWN LOW AND DON'T SHOW AND DON'T GIVE THEM TO FELLOW VOL FANS SHAME ON YOU.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to orangeJACKET:

Agree!! ALSO....If you sit down low and sit on your hands/act offended when fans around you make noise, trade your tickets to someone in the nose bleed section. Matter of fact just stay home. The "Handwarmer" fans IMO are worst of all. They won't cheer, and they frown upon anyone else for doing so. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems as if UT is the worst for that. MANY don't cheer unless the team does something extraordinary. As if they don't understand that the energy from the crowd can create the urge to do so for the players. Maybe I'm wrong. Just what I've seen at hoops games and in some cases at football games.

in response to clvolfan:

He probably meant that it would be nice to have Stokes down-court waiting for a press-breaking pass at the rim. With guys spread out all over the court, he should be going one-on-one in the post if the Vols can break the press quickly.

Volunteer_Pride1794 writes:

This game is going to be fun! I'm excited to see how the Vols react to Arkansas' press and i'm confident they're going to come out knowing what they have to do to win the game. If TBA backs these kids up tonight and makes alot of noise, the Tennessee Vols could win this game and embark on a streak that could land them a spot in the NCAA tournament. How about that? After everything this team/program has been through in the last year..recovering, weathering the storm, and making the tourney. How about that! Go Vols!! Go ZO!!

IndyVolFan writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

This was my beef at FB games when I was in school (89-91). The home side of the field was more interested in conducting business than raising hell. That wasn't much of a problem at Bball games. I can remember beating UK with 20+K giving it hell. One of the loudest events I'd ever been to 'till I came to a Colts game.

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

This could indeed be a game for McRae to shine; heck, even Cam might get back on track in a more wide-open game. However, BOTH of them need to be careful taking the ball all the way to the hoop. They both have those long, loping strides that commit them to straight lines too early. They go gliding toward the basket from 12' out and can't change direction in time, so they charge too often. All the ball-handlers need to read the defense when they get it into front-court so they can make the right choices in attacking the basket. They also need to be aware of defenders sneaking up on them from behind and poking the ball away. As another poster suggested, it has been some time since any of these guys practiced against the press regularly, but they handled Florida's press relatively easily and the basic principles are fairly self-evident. The key of course is simply staying cool, being strong and decisive with the ball, and making good decisions at every stage.

PS: One other thing to keep in mind playing against pressure is that NOT ALL TURNOVERS ARE THE SAME. If you get in a jam and can't pass or call timeout, just "swallow" the ball. If you get a 5-second count or a 10-second count or a held ball, the opponents still have to take the ball out of bounds and you will have time to set the defense. If you play "hot-potato" with the ball and throw a wild pass that they pick off, they will take it down and jam it on you!

DougSharp writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree! Richardson was the only one that seemed to get truly rattled with the pressure the Gators brought at time. I expect if he gets trapped tonight coach will be quick to help him out with a TO.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Vols to start a home and home with UVA in hoops next season. We will go to Charlotesville next yr, they will come to Knoxville the following.

Volfanposey777 writes:

My question is this, for anyone that might have some insight... What is going on with Tatum? I would have though this would be a break out year for him. I wish I could make the game tonight but I will only get to watch in between working lol! Go Vols put a fork in them Hogs! VFL!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Agree. Pearl's system when he pressed might not have been 40minutes of hell,but was as close you could get. However I did notice, it was always the teams that slowed it down and played a solid ball control half court game that seemed to give him trouble IMO. So if they can stick to the plan and play CCM's game, they can do this. That's what is tough about playing against the press. Not only getting overwhelmed by the constant pressure, but it's tough to stick to the plan and not run with them. I'm with you...slow it down, make them play half court D. However, after a made basket I would like to see us throw a press on them. Not much, just a few times to shake them up.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Florida LB Kenneth Bynum to announce his college decision between UT and Cinci @ 5pm today.

Vol43 writes:

Man this sucks. I'm visiting family in Orlando and I can't figure out how to watch or listen to the VOLS tonight. I checked the Knox. Sports Animal and I can't tell if they broadcast the game via internet. Anyone have an idea! This is gay_tor country unfortunately. Thanks. And, GO VOLS!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Vol43:

Try this...Hope it works

Vol43 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Try this...Hope it works

Thanks Rich, you're the man!

GONAVY writes:

in response to DougSharp:

UA relies big time on hitting 3's then trapping. In the Vanderbilt game, they hit 4 consecutive 3's: 2 trips down on regular offense, 2 off of turnovers where they just pulled up and drained them. Did the same type damage to Michigan. But, both games in BWA. I agree that UT needs to weather the storm, then settle down and go into the paint. UT should win by 10. Let's see.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

nothing personal, Rich, but I have heard this 3 different times in past 10 days.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

No problem. He just chose the Vols. I thought it was at 5, but it's being reported he is all Vol.

The bad news is...a power line on campus is damaged and the power to TBA is off as well as other parts of campus. Let's hope this is fixed for the game.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Vol43:

www.UTSports.com always has Bob. Make sure you use IE and not Mozilla as your browser.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to CrankE:

Isn't "kee" short for a . . .um . . . kilo?

So Jeronne is 1,000? Is that like 300 spartans?

brod writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

well then i guess that you are going to have to get those dead beats to make some noise.

DougSharp writes:

in response to GONAVY:

Good point. Ark presses but its very strategic. Its effective because they'll change up the situations that lead to the press. Tonight I think they'll play it based on the game clock more than off the made three pointers. They give people the impression they run a full time press game like days of old but they dont. I like your prediction.

Vol43 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Thanks Cover. I think that will work better.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to brod:

I've tried. They just give you crazy looks and shake their heads.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I haven't used IE in a long time. Mozilla works fine for me...am I missing something by not using IE?

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

If the Vols get hit-ahead passes for layups, they should take them. If not, they ought to work the clock for at least 20 seconds each possession and THEN score. What sometimes happens playing against a press is that the WHOLE OFFENSE gets sped up. That is, you work to get the ball across mid-court and then the first guy to get open fires one up. The Vols should look at each possession in parts. If they have a quick pass into the front-court, they should take it and try to score. The next part is just to get the ball INTO front-court; even if you get a 10-second count, that is not the kind of turnover they can turn into a jam. The next part is to get everybody into their half-court sets and work the ball a little bit to frustrate the Hogs by making them play half-court defense. Finally, they should look for the best shot they can get at about the 25 to 30-second mark on the shot clock and MAKE IT. The Hogs want to turn the whole game into a blur of continuous motion; the Vols need to break it down into discrete segments and play their game instead.

In other words, pretty much what you said; sorry I didn't restrain my verbosity!

in response to Vol43:

Go to utsports.com. I don't know if they are offering video tonight, but at least you can get the Vol Network audio. That is pretty much a sure thing.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Well put John....Well put!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Does that have Bert Bertelcamp? That dude cracks me up.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Not missing anything if it works for you. For some reason it always says "broadcast not available" when I use Mozilla Firefox. Maybe I have something set up screwy in my preferences?