Tee Martin going to Southern Cal as an assistant coach, 'never got a call' from UT

Tee Martin photographed in 1999. Martin returns to Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010 as wide receivers coach for the Kentucky Wildcats.

Photo by News Sentinel file

Asked late Wednesday by News Sentinel sportswriter Mike Griffith if Martin had considered any of the recent openings on Derek Dooley's Tennessee staff, Martin texted: "Never got a call."

Former Tennessee quarterback and Kentucky wide receivers coach Tee Martin is leaving Kentucky to join Lane Kiffin's coaching staff at Southern Cal. "i'm excited, great opportunity," Martin said in a text to News Sentinel sportswriter Mike Griffith.

Southern Cal quarterback Matt Barkley, however, broke the story on Twitter, but the news was later confirmed by Martin, the Kentucky athletic department and sources within the USC football program who were not authorized to speak on the record. After Barkley's Tweet, Martin confirmed the move in texts to several sports writers.

University of Kentucky spokesman Tony Neely confirmed late Wednesday to the Lexington Herald Leader that Martin is leaving Lexington.

In a text to the Herald Leader, Neely said, "Coach Martin is confirming that he has taken the job."

And Jeff Drummond of CatsPause.com of CatsPause.com reported: "Yes," Martin said via text message. "I'm headed to S.C."

Former Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin — who recently added Scottie Hazelton as linebackers coach, and Marvin Sanders as defensive backs coach to his Southern Cal staff — adds the 33-year-old Martin as USC's wide receivers coach, the same position he held with the Kentucky football program. At Kentucky, Martin was had the additional role of passing game coordinator.

Martin, considered one of Kentucky's top recruiters and landing three of its top 2012 signees, interviewed with Kiffin on Monday and Kentucky coach Joker Phillips and Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart had been hopeful of keeping him with the Wildcats, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported. Martin had previously turned down overtures to leave Kentucky from Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee, the Courier-Journal said.

Asked late Wednesday by the News Sentinel's Griffith if Martin had considered any of the recent openings on Derek Dooley's Tennessee staff, Martin texted: "Never got a call."

A native of Mobile, Ala., Martin was a four-year letterman at Tennessee from 1996-99 and led the UT to the 1998 national championship. The next year, as a senior, Martin was named first-team All-SEC.

Martin is still tied for the NCAA record for consecutive completions in one game with 23 straight completions vs. South Carolina on Oct. 31, 1998.

Drafted in the fifth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers, he spent two years with that NFL team before going to Europe, then back to the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and then to the Canadian Football League.

He began his coaching career at Morehouse College in Atlanta in 2006 and reunited with former Tennessee offensive coordinator Randy Sanders at Kentucky after closing out the 2009 season as an assistant with the University of New Mexico.

In his two years in the SEC, he made a mark, credited with helping develop former Alcoa High School star Randall Cobb, who was drafted by the Green Bay Packers, and Chris Matthews, who was a second-team All-SEC selection. He is among the top 20 recruiters in the SEC as ranked by ESPN.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

IF this is confirmed, it just represents a good career move for Tee. There will be naysayers and calls to change the street; however, given the choice to be an assistant at Tennessee or USC, any young coach in his right mind would choose USC. It is just a better opportunity and increases resume value. Absolutely no issue here, except to congratulate him on this opportunity. No pot to be stirred.

Clad_In_Big_Orange writes:

Broken Heart, I now despise USC even more. But none the less I am happy for Tee.

Razor784 writes:

Tee's too honest to work for Kiffin this won't last long

keepitreal4vols writes:

Dooley lost 6 coaches, did he even make a phone call to Tee?

Timbo_Slice writes:

Say it aint so, Tee! However, congratulations on a good carrer move. Maybe one day you can make your way back home where you belong. Don't let the weasel influence any bad decisions!

77VolFS writes:

Happy for you, Tee. You are a good man and I believe a true Vol for Life. Go ahead and enjoy that run at the NC next year, don't let Lane get you dirty, and come on back to Rocky Top at your earliest opportunity.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Dooley lost 6 coaches, did he even make a phone call to Tee?

You need to try harder to keep it real.

volfaninvegas writes:

If Dooley didn't offer him, who cares? It means he didn't want him. Dooley deserves way more time than anyone is giving him.

At the same time, good for Tee Martin. He's a class act and deserves to work for a high profile team.

I'm sick of negative Nancy's on here and in Knoxville in general. I have been to enough games to know that our fans, most of them, suck. A stadium of 100K+ or even 3/4 of that should never be quiet if our fans are true. And it often is, even in the big games... even if we are down. Our fans are less consistent than our team.

For a town that is full of people that say their blood is Orange, I beg to differ. We should be the one thing that remains constant, loud, every play, every down, all the time. Nobody should silence us, no matter what. Players, coaches, etc. come and they go, but true fans do not. And if anybody, any team comes into our house, they should know, no matter what, they have to deal with us. Not as drunk idiots who start fights over a team they are knocking all over message boards (or even sober ones), but as loud obnoxious fans who CHEER AS HARD AS WE WANT OUR PLAYERS TO PLAY. NO MATTER WHAT.

But we are not. The message boards, the blog posts, the writers (although it is sometimes their job to expose the truth, but often are going far beyond journalism in expressing their lack of support), the people talking amongst their selves in Knoxville (I know many of you), are proof that we as fans are not as special as we would like every team we have to be.

I get the desire to win. I've played just about every sport you can, grew up in Knoxville, blah blah blah. As much as I love it there, it is given me too much time to realize the truth in what I am saying.

So, while everyone is pointing fingers at all the people that come through here, I wonder if they are looking in the mirror, asking their selves, do they cheer as hard as they want our players to play. Do they realize, that no matter what, they can make a difference.

Quit being a downer Danny. A negative Nancy. A negative Nick. A whiner. A female doger. A moaner, and get out there and cheer because you support this program, with faith that if the wrong people are here, they will soon go... but your support will not. If you don't do that, then you have no right to say anything really. But you have every need to look in the mirror as a fan. How's that for a reflection?

If you get what I am saying and live by it, then this isn't for you, but you should support me. If you don't, then this is for you. Please, shut up here and go scream and yell out there... FOR YOUR TEAM. Duh.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

vu...Are you kidding me? Get off our site...Thanks

BuckFama1973 writes:

I wish USC would take Doolittle...

TheStupidPolice writes:

LOL@ KNS and other news outlets running with a story based on a Matt Barkley tweet and nothing else.

Dalton writes:

Congrats to one of the all time great Volunteers...but when dealing with Kiffin you have to wonder...what's he after?....I KNOW I KNOW...This falls under playing to his game but ever since he stole Patrick Turner when he was q assistant he's been obsessed with prospects in a supposedly inferior recruiting state...he missed out on Kerbyson and Tiny and that's a stick in his craw...remedy?...Favorite son...Tee does deserve this opportunity and will shine...Kiffin will benefit from a motive hire...groan..ok that's my conspiracy allowance for the week...GOVOLS!

ColPhorbin writes:

in response to vut5686#1405392:

vut5686#1405392 Dude, your insights into this matter are absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing them. I'm just not sure I could've made sense of all this had you not laid it out there with such clarity and forethought. So going to USC will help Tee get a better job one day... I'll never forget your obvious genious when it comes to the ins and outs of college coaching

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Dooley lost 6 coaches, did he even make a phone call to Tee?

As a matter of fact he did.

SummittsCourt writes:

highly disappointed... consider me no longer a fan of his, any other school yes, weasel boy U no!

Bilgeboard writes:

The west coast is a different animal, the SEC plays smashmouth, while the west coast is more pass oriented. Yes his resume will be inhansed, but I think any SEC job is better than out west. Look at the number of national titles won by SEC schools . USC will be a contender when its off probation. Remember they get the pick of the litter in the west, but I would rather cut my teeth against Alabama , LSU etc

rusty_shackleford writes:

Dude traded way up! Glad he's not having to suffer in Ken-sucky anymore.

dvols writes:

the lights the lights......look at all the pretty lights.....

fearthehound writes:

Kiffin's name in the southeast is pretty much mud. Martin has lots of ties to the southeast for recruiting. Very smart move for the surfer dude.

SummittsCourt writes:

I thought of something on my drive to work today. Tee may have been the QB when the Vols won the National Championship, but what really separates him from Peyton Manning is Peyton would never do this, Never!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Delusional Much? Your hatred for Coach Dooley is going to ruin your life dude. Oh wait, your life was phooey before so never mind.

jimr07 writes:

in response to volfaninvegas:

Great post. I have said many times that based on the comments on here that UT has the worst fan base in the country.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Give it a rest. You'll feel better.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Yea...and Tee also did something else Peyton would never do - win a National Championship! Get off the guys back - he worked his butt off during his time at UT and took them to heights no one had been able to do for years, and no one will be able to do for years to come - if ever - and you want to cheap shot him for taking a job at a premire university? Look - he said he never got a call from UT - what in the heck is he supposed to do???

taylorsvolfan writes:

Good for you Tee ! I still miss you on Talkin' Football. You were so much better than Brady Fartknocker.

rootin4volz writes:

WTF?

VolFolks writes:

in response to volfaninvegas:

I agree with most of what you are saying. I've been a VOLS fan since the 70's, and the lack of enthusiasm during most games, football and basketball, is amazing for the venues in which we have to play.

I grew up in Va. and have attended numerous VT games. Their limited capacity for attending fans does not deter the loudness and ferver they show during an entire game, winning or losing.

Tennessee fans need to wake up and realize how important home field advantage can be instead of attending games and just sitting as if they were home alone.

I do applaud those fans that do attend and cheer mightily for the VOLS, even when things are not going so well. So lets all step up and show our support for the VOLS in every sport - LOUD and CLEAR!!!

Biggie writes:

in response to vut5686#1405392:

You're out of your mind. A coach with any integrity at all would NEVER coach under Kiffin. He's slime and anyone who is associated with him is slime. Nothing to do with what he did here, he was a slimeball before he ever set foot in Tennessee. Tee Martin had respectability at Kentucky, now he's part of the "staff" infection at USC

thevoice writes:

Resume enhancement for Tee. Don't blame you a bit, hope you come back to Knoxville some day.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

I don't know if it really is true that you are Jeff Flowers but I know its true that you are a piece of Vol hating scum

NovemberNed writes:

This is an indictment on Dooley. Anyone who doesn't see this is naive.

volboy81 writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Dooley lost 6 coaches, did he even make a phone call to Tee?

I'm pretty sure Dooley knows his needs and wants a tad better than you or anyone else. Let him coach! Meanwhile, congratulations, Tee. I hope you do great out there. However, don't let Kiffin's ways become yours!

rtrchatt writes:

Best weather in the country, beautiful campus and coeds, one of the great college fb programs alltime. Whats not to like? Great career move.....

SC_Grad_Fight_On writes:

The Trojan family welcomes you, Tee Martin. May your character and skills you honed at Tennessee serve you well at SC. Fight on!

SevenT writes:

Hate to see Tee leave Kentucky, but he is going to a big time program. What is most amusing is the commentary from Tennessee Fan about this "Shakspearean Tragedy". The story line goes something like this:

Act 1
Big Bill Haslem calls on his puppet spineless AD Hamilton and holds a secret meeting to fire Hall of Fame Coach Fulmer.

Act 2
Haslem instructs his puppet to hire the brash young sherrif Kiffin that will ride into Knoxville on a white horse and restore Tennessee to glory. Many of the Vol Fans jump on the bandwagon and fall for the outspoken pretty boy Coach.

Act 3
Suddenly after a single season of foul mouthed arrogance Kiffin leaves the Knoxville sinking ship and bolts for greener lands. All that is left behind is a near riot complete with burning mattresses.

Act 4
The Dooley thud.

And the rest of the SEC is laughing and the fools on the "Hill"

Tacamo01 writes:

in response to VolFolks:

Great post! I to grew up in Virginia and had season tickets to VT. Now also a UT fan, there is no comparison in the compassion of the fans on game day. VT has a lot smaller stadium but even when we were blown away by Clemson the fans could be heard downtown in the 4th quarter. UT fans seem to give up at halftime from what I have witnessed especially if they are down. The posts on web sites are not as negative as I have seen here. UT fans just seem to want to find something to complain about on these posts. Maybe it is the KNS creating all the negative inputs but the fans need to show up at the games for all 4 quarters.

thevoice writes:

in response to Biggie:

That "staff" infection may become a head coach some day, and positioned himself better at USC than UK to do that. Tee's a big boy (and apparently filled with integrity) and I doubt he'll take on any Kiffy persona. I think we've all had slimeball associates/bosses/friends/etc. It's just a means to an end for Tee, a career move, and probably better pay and living in S Cal.

Vol43 writes:

in response to volfaninvegas:

I got it! Here's how it works for me. My voice is gone the day following the game. I actually have to pace myself during the game so I'll have something left for the 4th quarter. And, that is a fact.

bigsteve92 writes:

no one should be sad that Tee is going to usc. lane kiffin is just trying to get at UT for the fans bashing him when he left and UT refusing to play him in football to get his last laugh. The wide receiver at UK sucked for the most part except with the exception of 2 guys. I love TEE when he was ut QB but as a wide receiver coach if you look at uk receiver most of them drop so many balls it wasn't even funny. I know we like our UT vols but doesn't mean they are always the best hire

heyitsme writes:

in response to NovemberNed:

This is an indictment on Dooley. Anyone who doesn't see this is naive.

Actually, it's an indictment on your intelligence, or lack thereof. Your post showed your naiveness.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Yaadaa, yaadaa, yaadaa!

And in Fulmerland we had "fairy dust", "the perfect storm", and losses blamed on the kicker and the fans. Fulmer actually blamed the freakin' fans for a loss! And, never forget "...review the tapes and will get back to you", "work like heck to fix it", and "I was not aware that Foster(?) didn't play." And you talk about loyal fans of coach Dooley being delusional? Get your meds adjusted.

Oh, but I forget, this board is simply your means of gaining desparately needed attention ... and you do it well.

GerryOP writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I'm sure coach Martin will suffer angst after hearing you are no longer a fan of his. For Tee's sake, please reconsider your hasty decision.

GreerVol22 writes:

we can only hope that he is using Kiffin like Kiffin used UT...me thinks he probably is :)

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Remember this..........coaching moves are a carousel. Tee won't be there long, certainly not forever. It would be interesting to see if surfer dude would venture into playing a game or two with SEC teams.......don't think so. Take a few of the SEC coaches, but don't play the teams.

You know, we can take a vacation from this site, ( fresh air, you know ) then come back. What will you then find? A troll, and whiny sorts such as this "pile of beans" better known as cry baby Jeff. They are still here, sadly.

People who can't sleep at night like the whiny Jeff, and get up at 3 a.m. to spill his hatred all over the keyboard.........these are sick people.

But...........the funny thing is that Derek owns so many trolls' thinking.

I do agree with the comments about fans needing to be more vocal and to support the Vols much more. We need more SpongeBobs, Johnlg's, Witchy's, Prowlin's, NavalOrange's etc.

We certainly need far fewer Jeff's and his types.

WV_Vol writes:

Everytime I venture back to KNS and read the posts of some, it makes me even happier that I now pay for the message boards and news of 247. For those considering it, it's well worth the 10 bucks or so to not have to put up with the likes of all the "doomers" on here.

LocoPhan (Inactive) writes:

You can't take a job that wasn't offered to you.

Tee has probably done all he could do at Kentucky. Time to move on even if the move is a bit lateral as far as duties go.

He is going to a higher profile school that can recruit and compete at a higher level.

Kiffin was a good and bad hire for UT. He kept the program in the spotlight. He did "coach up" the team and produced a winning season.

On the bad side, he never really wanted to be here. He tried to make UT into USC east. He and his staff were an NCAA "death penalty" waiting to happen. And he dumped us at a tough time in the calendar year to find a replacement.

I wish Tee the best. I hope that he will have success in all his ventures. He may never return to the Hill. It may just never be in the cards.

I will always be thankful for Tee. He was a model player who worked hard, paid his dues and took UT football to the very top.

That must be respected.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Actually, you're totally wrong. It's been well documented that Dooley is very well respected around the country as a coach and one of the best evaluators of talent there is.

You should probably do some research before you use terms like "everyone."

Among the many reasons most of the top name coaches in the country three years ago wouldn't take this job is this very situation. They knew how bad the TN situation was. They also knew this is what would happen. 2-3 years into what is a 4-5 year process, some fans would be screaming for the coaches head b/c he wasn't winning enough. The Knoxville "press" also hasn't done him or UT any favors since he won't coddle them like Fulmer and Hamilton did.

In short, we've got some folks here who need to grow up (especially Jeff). Continuing to bash Dooley as a coach accomplishes nothing.

BTW, while I am very happy for Tee to get a great opportunity, I would advise him to use caution around Kiffin. It's a great career and learning opportunity, just do your best to take the good and leave the bad. Always proud to call Tee a VFL!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Biggie:

So you are saying our Off co Chaney is slime? I like Tee Martin and will always be grateful for helping bring the only National Champinship to UT in my lifetime. Granted, Tee did take money during his college career, so he should fit in just fine at USC.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say make a mountain out of a molehill but until Tennessee starts paying what other schools do we shouldnt expect top coaching talent on the asst. level. Witch Doctor sure they probably are paying more than two or three of ours combined.
Bones never lie.

justafan4ut writes:

in response to vut5686#1405392:

You sir are correct. I think in the future Tee may be back @ UT. As a young coach he should go to other places to see differnet ways of seeing techniques done. Current coach at KY is probably on the hot seat, he didn't need to come to TN now because the coach here could be on the hot seat. Like it or not USC is on the rise, they have alot talent and I'm sure he will learn much from the staff out there. Coaches move around alot to pick up things until they find a place to settle in. Who knows, 5 years down the road he may be at UT and become HCTM.