Vols to play N.C. State on Aug. 31

The start of football season is one day closer than expected for Tennessee.

The organizers of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game made their plans for a weekend doubleheader in Atlanta official on Thursday, with the Vols and North Carolina State slotted for Friday night in the Georgia Dome.

A kickoff time for the opener on Aug. 31 has not been determined, but the game will be broadcast on ESPNU as coach Derek Dooley begins his third campaign with the program. Auburn will take on Clemson the next day as part of the weekend showcase of non-conference affairs between SEC and ACC programs.

"When we created the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game with ESPN, our goal was to kick off the season in a special and memorable way," Chick-fil-A Bowl president Gary Stokan said in a release. "With these two games, and these four teams and their fan bases, this is going to be a colossal weekend of football in Atlanta -- like nothing you have seen before."

The Vols have seen some Friday-night action in the regular season before, but they haven't dealt with much like it in quite some time.

The last time UT played a non-bowl game on Friday was in 1939 -- also against North Carolina State. The most recent appearance on that day also has a common thread, with the Vols playing Clemson in the 2004 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl on a Friday.

"We look forward to being a part of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff weekend in Atlanta," UT athletic director Dave Hart said in a release. "The exposure afforded our university and football program through our participation in this season-opening event is very significant."

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BR_549 writes:

First. Imagine what the talk will be on here by then.

volsfanntn11 writes:

go big orange!......

SATCHMOE writes:

Alright Lets get ready and kick some serious arses. Shart on the trolls.

eduardo writes:

Fri??????????

blackoutcuffem1592 writes:

I'm not a big fan of a Friday night game but oh well. Lets paint Atlanta BIG ORANGE and enjoy a fully healthy Bray throwing to a fully healthy Justin Hunter for the first time since Tennessee dominated Cincinnati when last season was so promising...

rtrchatt writes:

Barn and Clemson the headliner in Atlanta...UT and NC "we do not hardly play fb" State generate little buzz outside of Raleigh/Knoxv..

formerflgranny writes:

I will be there and will be wearing my orange slacks so I hope Coach Dooley wears his orange pants. GO VOLS!!!

1bigvolman writes:

TERRIBLE!!! I never miss a UT game, but now I will, my son will be on the sidelines for his first high school football game that night!

papavol writes:

in response to 1bigvolman:

DVR. Unless you're in the state of TN where they will probably be announcing the score over the loud speaker.

MikeTheTiger writes:

Kinda like having the JV game on Friday and the Varsity game on Saturday.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to 1bigvolman:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some High School games moved to Thursday August 30th. Bristol does this when the races come to town. ESPNU? Why is the game on ESPNU? ESPN must have some big prime time game on that evening.

nocleats writes:

Tennessee should be have been drug into a FRIDAY night game kicking and screaming.. Friday night? The SEC and their tv revenue packages have sold Tenn out. While our coaches are on the sideline coaching, the other 13 SEC teams coaching staffs will be attending and being noticed at the top 75 players in the souths high school games... Not Good! GBO!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

If Dave Hart says let's do it......Lets do it....Hehehehehe. We're going to the top with Brother Dave...

BR_549 writes:

ESPNU? No one will be able to DVR it.

BR_549 writes:

in response to LJS1984:

I think ESPN is showing a rerun of the Westminster Dog Show that night and ESPN 2 a women soccer rerun. They haven't forgot 1997.

BR_549 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Good point.

knoxchatter writes:

makes sense..all the other 'high school' teams play on Friday nights too!
:O

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to BR_549:

Good point.

Seems like every negative comment is getting a big amen from you big baby. What's BR stand for anyway...been rode. I don't care if we play at midnight on the shopping network I'm ready for some Volball. Next year is CDD's REDEMPTION and folks will be saying Hart needs to lock Dooley down with a long term contract.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Enough to keep you here 24/7.

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to blackoutcuffem1592:

ATL will be orange, I'm sure. Auburn and Clemson play the headliner the next day.

jamgod writes:

in response to 1bigvolman:

With todays technology, you should be able to watch both. DVR my man...you can still enjoy both especially if we dominate like I believe we will!! GBO!!

BR_549 writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

Unprovoked attack. Name calling. Classy post kid.

formerflgranny writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

You need to change your diet of red beans and rice. if eaten over a great period of time, which you obviously have, they are known to lower your brain from the head to the backside mid section. I recommend you seak your doctors advice immediately!

jamgod writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

I tell you whats gonna' be great and that is not seeing you post on hear anymore with you're blah, blah, blah BSness when Dooley shows how ignorant you really are and what little you know about the team this year when HE and the VOLS kick some serious ARSS this coming season. Only a pathetic person would wish for anything else. Can't wait to see you not posting on here anymore...'course I'm sure you will assume another stupid name and post about how good you knew Dooley would do. LOSER TROLL IS ALL YOU ARE. Not shouting, just want to make sure you pay attention to that previous sentence!!

abnermc writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

I see you are back. Want to talk some Women's basketball. 38 in a row!!!!!.lol

BR_549 writes:

in response to jamgod:

Looks like KNS took care of that for you.

CoverOrange writes:

Get back in the top 25 and then we can complain about such ill treatment.

jawga writes:

in response to SATCHMOE:

Alright Lets get ready and kick some serious arses. Shart on the trolls.

CDD gets kicked to the curb with the Friday Night Lights game.

Indian_Bill writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

It generated a big buzz in you.

Vol43 writes:

in response to MikeTheTiger:

Kinda like having the JV game on Friday and the Varsity game on Saturday.

Manners, Mikey. Remember, you're a guest.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

ESPNU broadcasts in HD where I live. At least it's not on CSS.

papavol writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

I believe he was talking about the high school athletes that will miss watching UT on television because of their own Friday night game. I guess it beats every other season when the first game ends up being shown on the "vol network"

volpreacher writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

We'll see how much you crow after Alabubba has a so so year this year. If you truly live in Chattanooga you need to move to that dirty place now. We don't want you here.

volpreacher writes:

in response to MikeTheTiger:

Kinda like having the JV game on Friday and the Varsity game on Saturday.

So Memphis is playing?

Vol43 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

So Memphis is playing?

Mikey boy is an lsu type tiger. He's usually pretty decent, but he can have his moments.

The_rebirth_of_vol_nation_2012 writes:

cant wait. get to see an important step in the right direction for tennessee football. cant wait.. book me a seat!!!

Razzle writes:

in response to BR_549:

ESPNU? No one will be able to DVR it.

Don't know about you, but I get ESPNU on channel 396.

tedvolNC writes:

I am trying to get my motel room set for the weekend now, Tennessee football, Clemson football
Auburn football, NC State football, AND the NASCAR chase race in Atlanta in the same weekend!

1bigvolman writes:

I can DVR it, just hate too, fat chance that I won't know the score at the high school game...

TheVolSnake writes:

As time goes on I see more and more anti-Vol personal coming on and posting, most are supporters from other schools mainly FLA and Bama but they seem the need to come on Vol sites and bash and talk nothing but nonsense. They work hard to distort facts and tell everyone what we need is a new coach and that our team won’t win this year. Several of these posters have multiple names so they can agree with themselves, you know what they say about people that talk to themselves and need to go to the rubber room.

True Vol fans understand the last thing we need is a new coach the last two coaching changes is why we are (were) in the mess we are in with lack of depth and lack of skilled players at certain positions.

Not that I have that off my chest the Friday night game, to me doesn’t matter what day of the week we play, and though out the year several teams even play on Thursday so doesn’t make a difference in the grand scheme of things, however as most true fans know we already set up out spring and fall practice schedule, because starting a day earlier will the Vols be able to move their schedule up a day? As you know the NCAA has set rules on allowing number of practices and when they can start and are based on the date of first game the team plays.

Dougb-VFL writes:

in response to atributetoLombardiwasbanned:

Enough to keep you here 24/7.

I know! This alabubba moron spends so much time on our site it makes me wonder a few things. Does he have a life , Is he worried that UT is going to stuff an elephant this year , or is he so tired of cheering for a team that had 75 percent of their fanbase jump on board when they started winning that he wants to see what LOYAL fans say daily. Back to topic , UT is going to stomp out nc state and be on its way to the top of the SEC east! VFL

Dougb-VFL writes:

in response to Blue_Store_Barron:

Yo bsb,we do not need your ignorant post on here. DD will win at least 7 games and nc state will lose by 2 tds at least. Have you not seen Bray sling a football? With our depth and talent at wideout state's d-backs will have a long night and with our new multiple defense that we will hit them with I am not sure that they will score in double digits! Get a life,this is a UT site for UT fans! VFL

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

This is Dooley's big chance. I remember the last time we had a nationally televised game exclusively for the nation to watch....UCLA 08'. That was the beginning of the end for poor ole Phil. Dooley needs this game BAAAAAAD and we should win it. A loss on national TV won't bode well for the program or Dooley.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Dougb-VFL:

Yeah we should beat them, but their DBs are the single best unit on State's team. They have a DB who had 13 picks last yr. We should kill'em in the trenches though, especially by the 4th quarter.

tulelakevol writes:

Go Vols!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

You know who I'm for. So even though I feel the way I do about our Vols, I will remind us ( Vol fans ) that this venue has been the 'house of horrors'
for us against ACC teams lately. ( Maryland, Clemson, and Virginia Tech. ) So even though we may be favored in this game, a new mindset will have to take place.

Oh, I see where the troll, Jeff, had a couple of his posts removed. How about that? Maybe he was spilling his Fulmer tears all over the keyboard.

Orange and White game is going to be interesting.
We'll see what the 3 QB's can do, but more importantly, what the OL and RB's might have in store for us.

TheVolSnake writes:

This year I am really looking forward to the new coaches and skill back up at nearly every position.

No one can question the passing game has had and major upgrade and our line last year demonstrated their ability to pass block even though several players switched positions, when Hunter went down the back ups last year minus a few exceptions couldn’t catch a cold in a blizzard and dropped way to many catches that would have been first downs, therefore making the defense play a lot more and wore them down. I do worry about the running game Lane is our only true starter returning. I know some will come back and talk about Toney and Neal, but fact is lane is the only one that has true starting experience. So our running back situation will be handled by our new running back coach remember last year we didn’t have one which in my opinion hurt our running attack. Our O. line has a new coach and I feel he is going to dramatically improve the blocking and bring constantly to the line. Overall we are much better off than last year.

On defense I am very happy with the new coaches and the only thing that worries me is how fast the defense can adjust to the new defense scheme, We have the personnel with the ability to be dominant and the addition of a skilled D. back coach will make a big difference.

Recruits to watch that could make a major impact.

Bourque I expect him to be the change of pace running back and has the size and ability to be a great short yardage Back. If they don’t move if to defensive back I don’t think they will but possibility.

Howard Kickoff return man and possible slot receiver, is one of the fastest man on the team and can move, having him return Kickoffs allows Lane to devote all his time as running back.

Patterson if lives up to half the hype will be a major weapon and with Hunter and Rodgers will provide opposing Defenses fits.

Croom and Bowles I see as very good backups this year and will see playing time.

Mccullers and Sentimore will stabilize the D. Line and McCullers under the new scheme will be a big time nose guard at 6’6” and 380 which is almost 70 pound more than most O. lineman

McNeil is a head hunter at Safety and watching the videos on him remind me of two players, Eric Berry and John Lynch.

Bonner has the capability to be outstanding but don’t know if will be a force this year, but because of last year inconsistently of or D. back field will push to break into the starting lineup latter in the year.

The rest of the class has the ability but I don’t see starting this year because of the personnel ahead of them, but spring practice has started and there could be many surprises and changes.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to blackoutcuffem1592:

Yep. It's going to be a showcase. We now have three WR's that can go deep.I also think we have an improved OL for Blocking on the run. 9-3 + a bowl

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to Blue_Store_Barron:

Blue

I have posted this several times on other responses, it is very easy to say things and bash, but I and many when we post we attempt to do our homework and base things on known facts.

Here is my predictions before Spring and Fall practice starts.

2012 Schedule and what I think, prior to spring practice

09/01/12 vs. North Carolina State Georgia Dome (Atlanta, Ga.) TBA (Should be a Win)

09/08/12 vs. Georgia State Knoxville, Tenn. TBA (Should be a Win)

09/15/12 vs. Florida * Knoxville, Tenn. TBA (Toss Up) Gatos are on the way down and Vols on the way Up, edge to Vol’s playing at Home.

09/22/12 vs. Akron Knoxville, Tenn. (Should be a Win)

TBA 09/29/12 at Georgia * Athens, Ga. (Toss Up) for some unknown reason the Bulldogs have problems with the Vols

TBA 10/13/12 at Mississippi State * Starkville, Miss. TBA (Toss Up) By this time of the year we will really be able to see what both teams have but at this time unknown.

10/20/12 vs. Alabama * Knoxville, Tenn. TBA (Loss, defending champs and pre season #1)

10/27/12 at South Carolina * Columbia, S.C. TBA (Toss Up) By this time of the year we will really be able to see what both teams have but at this time unknown.

11/03/12 vs. Troy Knoxville, Tenn. TBA (Should be a Win)

11/10/12 vs. Missouri * Knoxville, Tenn. TBA (Should be a Win)

11/17/12 at Vanderbilt * Nashville, Tenn. TBA (Should be a Win)

11/24/12 vs. Kentucky * Knoxville, Tenn. TBA (Should be a Win)

7-5 Very Strong possibility even if we have injuries

8-4 very likely

9-3 possible but will need to stay healthy and other teams have issues for once

10-2 Would have to win 3 of the 4 toss ups

11-1 Very unlikely would have to be very lucky and stay completely healthy all year long, the new coaches would have to instill a lot of sound techniques and the Vols will have to play basically mistake free.

The toss ups were based on returning starters and loss of key player on these teams, when I did this I went team by team and looked at loss of players and returning starters, the reason is back ups and how they will perform is unknown. We are switching Defense this year which will help us this year if the players can learn the system fast. We have the skill to do so but won’t know how well till the start of the year. We do have to work out our running back situation. As you are aware we have 16 returning starters.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

VolinCalif

We really have more than that when you add Howard in the mix, if he learns how to make the cuts and runs crisp routes no one would be able to catch him, he has Blazing speed. Also Crooms and Bowles aren't that slow ether. Crooms will be the Redzone and short yardage go to guy more than the depth threat.