Lady Vols down Ole Miss, 66-56

Tennessee's Cierra Burdick (11) is fouled by Mississippi's Nikki Byrd (22) during an NCAA college basketball game in Oxford, Miss., on Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012. Tennessee won 66-56.

Photo by Bruce Newman, ©Oxford Eagle

Holly Warlick on the Lady Vols' 66-56 victory against Ole Miss

OXFORD, Miss. — Judging by the standings, the teams were pretty well established as polar opposites.

Tennessee was playing for sole possession of first place in the SEC, at least for a day. Ole Miss, meanwhile, shared last place.

What took place on the women's basketball court Sunday afternoon, though, blurred those distinctions.

The Lady Vols rounded up four double-figure scorers and managed a 66-56 victory at Tad Smith Coliseum. But their postmortem echoed with familiar laments about uninspired play.

"When we needed buckets, when we needed (defensive) stops, we got them,'' UT associate head coach Holly Warlick said. "It was a task; it was a struggle. But it was a win for us."

Glory Johnson led No. 13 Tennessee (20-7, 11-3 SEC) with 13 points. The senior forward also grabbed a game-high eight rebounds.

Shekinna Stricklen added 12 points while reserves Vicki Baugh and Cierra Burdick each scored 10. Baugh had seven rebounds and a resounding second-half block that Johnson described as "sick."

The Lady Vols overcame a slow shooting start to finish at 43.6 percent field goal accuracy (24 for 55) and record 19 assists. They eventually found enough room in Ole Miss' zone defense to score 32 points in the paint.

The victory nudged UT a half-game ahead of Kentucky atop the conference standings. The Wildcats host Vanderbilt on Monday night.

Still, Burdick described her team's energy level as "all flat."

Guard Valencia McFarland scored a game-high 21 points for Ole Miss (12-15, 2-12). She hit four of her team's eight 3-pointers, which forced the Lady Vols to utilize multiple defensive alignments, rather than sit back in a 2-3 zone as they had throughout most of the past two games.

Despite the loss, the Rebels were taking stock afterward in what was gained from an effort that coach Renee Ladner characterized as their best of the conference season.

"They stayed together throughout the course of the game," Ladner said of her players. "Even with four minutes left, they were like, 'We're going to get this.' ''

By then, the Rebels' best intentions had been reduced to wishful thinking. UT had just finished an eight-point scoring flurry to build its biggest lead, 60-48.

Stricklen scored the crucial baskets. First she hit a layup, completing a busted possession that was saved when Kamiko Williams corralled a loose ball, dribbled into the foul lane and slipped a pass to her open teammate.

Stricklen followed with a 3-pointer, one of four by the Lady Vols in 16 attempts from long range.

Now with eight minutes remaining, the Rebels were still in business. One trip down the court had just yielded five points, courtesy of two Ole Miss baskets sandwiched around a Tennessee turnover. The Rebels' hustle had suddenly whittled UT's advantage to 60-56.

"The game wasn't on our offense and defense,'' Stricklen said. "We didn't have the energy. The energy wasn't there."

The Lady Vols assisted the Rebels in other ways, too. First, Ole Miss cobbled together some useful video from UT's earlier losses to Kentucky, South Carolina and Vanderbilt.

"I'm not sure we're like any of those particular teams, but we thought if (the players) saw it, they could do it," Ladner said.

Then the largely pro-Tennessee turnout seemed to inspire the Rebels more than the Lady Vols.

"We have all these fans here and we're playing with low energy, like we don't even want to be on the floor." Johnson said.

"We have to make sure our offense doesn't dictate the rest of our game. Defense is what should get us hyped up."

At least the Lady Vols were inspired enough to win and avert a complete role reversal.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Razor784 writes:

Nothing great here we just had more talent than them and a win is a win I guess. Gotta find some more PT for Burdick

butch31 writes:

Loving Cierra Burdick, lol! Glory & Vicki played great we had a post presence today! Great job Lady Vols!!!

R.I.P. Whitney E. Houston, U will Never Be Forgotten!!!

jt45 writes:

Thank goodness it was ole miss and not Vanderbilt,UK or Georgia they played today.
Burdick continues to impress with her shooting.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Any road win in the SEC is a great W! Didn't look very impressive today, but we continue to move toward the finish line.....winning on the road vs. a SEC opponent is a step forward!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Not a work of art, but they got it done. How about this little tidbit? 20 wins in a season.....36 years in a row. That is not too shabby.

Now let's close the deal at home.

ModelMaker writes:

I love the way Burdick is playing. It seems to me like a no brainer that she should be starting. Here the girl gets player of the game and she wasn't even in there in the last five minutes of the game and to top it off it was still anyone's game. It reminded me a lot of the South Carolina game.

volted writes:

Bad game again. Poor passing, missing layups,. turnovers, etc. Pat is an icon in Vol's womans basketball. Looking at our coaches during the game they looked like a jury most of the time. Arms crossed and not saying a word. We need to get a coach who is vocal like Georgia and Kentucky has and get some coaches who can recruit. We haven't a commitment for over a year. We need to find a big center for next season. I hate Conn. but I was astounded when I read that Conn. had not lost to an unranked team for almost 19 years until yesterday. We lost to one unranked team this year and almost to these ham and eggers today, a team that only won two games this year. I hope for the best next year. This year I think is over.

xvolx writes:

I am convinced that this team does not have a player problem, they have a Holly Warlick problem. It took 5 3pt. goals to bring her out of the zone. After Lady Vols went up by 12 in man to man switch, she went back to a zone and let Ol Miss back in the game. Too many substitutes and the wrong combinations. She over coaches and is on a power trip.

SoddyVol writes:

Johnson & Stricklen played the most minutes(36 & 35)& both shot 5 for 9. Baugh shot 4 for 6. Burdick shot 4 of 5. Those four players had 24 of Vols 33 rebounds. Ole Miss has been a very poor 3 point shooting team but made 8 of 12 today. Vols really do get everyone's best shot. I just don't see how we can complain too much with this road win.

rlshepa#259432 writes:

in response to xvolx:

Just stay near to your phone. I am sure Pat will call you soon to offer you the LV coaching job.

r2d2 writes:

in response to xvolx:

I have made comments as you. However, Holly keeps the zone defense because the LVs play zone better than man-to-man. She makes frequent player substitutions because that is how Pat operated except when she had a very good or great team.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to r2d2:

True and Pat's teams in the past were great at man-to-man. Now they have to go with what they are best capable of doing.

volforeverandever writes:

We didn`t look good at all.I guess when you play bad and still win on the road you can`t complain.

ddt#1340890 writes:

The coaches are going to have to bench Simmons. The difference in team play improves dramatically when she is pulled out. I have never seen a more selfish player than Meaghan. Like a bad apple, she causes others to shoot first and worry about the team win later. Less than 5 minutes playing time for her and the Vols will win the national championship, more than 10 and not a prayer.

volfan2002 writes:

A lot of the worst shooters over the season continue to take the most shots. If you are shooting under 40 percent at this point in the season it is hard to see how you are gonna improve.

plainspeaker1 writes:

in response to ddt#1340890:

She scored 25 points against Kentucky. Yeah, Buddy, we really need to keep her on the bench!!

richvol writes:

I actually got up and turned the TV off during the second half. I could not stand to watch such sloppy,uninspired play by the LadyVols. This team is so poor in the fundamentals its ridiculous. Their passes are lobbed and telegraphed,the intended receiver of the pass just stands there waiting for it to arrive while the opposing teams defender steps forward to intercept or deflect it and we are the worst team at shooting layups that I have ever seen. Just pitiful.

Stricklen was a no show again until eight minutes into the second half when I cut it off. If UT attempts to play any game like this in the NCAA they will be sent home again.

jt45 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Wrong, Thats 36 straight not 26 .

rhmhrh writes:

How does M. Simmons keep her position with the stats she continoues to post...she has one good game out of five and on one will bench her.
Hate to say this but we do not know whow is in charge.

jt45 writes:

in response to richvol:

Seriously, an uninspired fan complaining about uninspired play from the LVs who just wrapped up a five day road trip with two wins. Ugly or not they got the job done, meanwhile your showing your support by turning off the game and complaining about them.... Unbelievable !

Great job girls, now come home and get two more !

SoddyVol writes:

in response to plainspeaker1:

I don't know how her play affects teammates but I do know starting with the first Auburn game she has made Less than 30.9 % of shots in exactly half (8) of them. She had only two(2) great games plus two(2) decent games out of 16.

underthehill writes:

Burdick needs to start and be the leader of this team..she has the highest basketball IQ and understanding of the game of any Lady Vol..she anticipates what is going to happen and gets where she needs to be ..I think this is why the TV announcers made her player of the game..

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Mickey Dearstone said 36

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Worth mentioning correctly...............36, not 26

Theo writes:

in response to ddt#1340890:

Whoa there cowboy or cowgirl. There is a big difference between a selfish player and a player who knows the team expects her to be a scorer and she is trying to shoot her way out of a slump. I totally agree that the shot selection is not great and at times rushed but I hope as a shooter she doesn't think about the last one she missed, she is thinking that the next one will go in. Meighan is not a "selfish" player, I do not believe she is looking for individual glory. If you listen to her being interviewed you see everything but that. I think she is a kid who just really wants to be the scorer she is expected to be and in the middle of a sophomore slump is rushing, rushing, rushing. Glory Johnson used to have a similar pace to her game. It took until, IMO, her senior year before she let the game come to her.
Meghan will be fine and I'm sick of folks calling her selfish. Not letting the game come to her, not great judgement, trying too hard - reasonable discussion points.

tovolny writes:

in response to xvolx:

Why don't you go talk to Hart and see if you could possibly be hired on as a BB consultant. You are so smart about player relations and the game plans. I bet you used to be a pro or maybe an All American. Our coach has only won just a few more than a thousand games, and little ole Holly, why she really needs you to give her advice. I quess Adams and Climer have been the ones that have kept the team together.

Hey, that's a thought: you could get a job at KNS and help ole Long John...he is the one that has helped the Lady Vols all these years.

I could give you a 'Letter of Recommendation', if you like. I will mention all the brilliant things you have been posting.

Good LUCK Dude.

jt45 writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

How about the stats on the other players ? I bet they are not much better. I agree she is a streaky shooter but the LVs need her Offense and the energy she brings. The alternative usually ends up with turnovers an NO offense. The whole team is playing like this not just Simmons. Look at Strickland, she is a streaky shooter also, in fact Burdick seems to be the only stable shooter
the LVs have right now and she is just getting started. Massengale hasn't had her best games lately either ya know.

DroopyDrawers writes:

It is not the points Simmons makes, it is the turnovers, dribbling ball off of her foot OB, and last but not least she shoots contested lay ups when she could pass. Simmons is the most selfish Lady Vol I can rememberin over 20 years of watching the Lady Vols. She is not a team player and her defense is terrible.

Bench her and replace her with Burdick or Williams. Spani is playing hurt but will be the power next year, but I am for playing Baugh more this year.

jt45 writes:

in response to DroopyDrawers:

Turnovers huh ? Here are the stats on turnovers for the season.
Stricklen, Shekinna 57
Johnson, Glory 63
Simmons, Meighan 58
Massengale, Ariel 54
Vicki Baugh 53

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

Yes, not an inspired game by the standards we are accustomed to. Simmons is similar to Strickland in that they can both have long periods of not making shots and like everyone on this team they are both capable of way too many turnovers. It will be a miracle if we make it to the final four but I still love this group of seniors. We could do it but must play better in each game as we go along. Please don't find us a coach that rants and raves like the Kentucky coach or the Georgia coach. Could you read Mitchell's lips in KY's loss to Lady Vols Monday night? He used the "F" word as he was yelling at his players after an over-and-back violation. No, I'm not a prude and I know that these youngsters hear that word way too much and maybe some may even use it but to me it shows a lack of character, and a lack education. Do coaches have to stoop to the use of vulgarity to get their point across? Don't believe I've ever heard a female coach go there and have refereed both high school and college men's and women's games for many , many years. I do not want us to hire a male head coach for the lady's program. Females deserve to reap the rewards of the head coaching jobs in the female game. The women's game is of little real importance to most male admisistrators in college sports. They just suffer through it because of title 9. These young ladies, from every school, have built the women's game to what it is today and they deserve to benefit from the fruits of their work.

Theo writes:

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

And the choir said "Amen".

richvol writes:

in response to jt45:

Great job girls, now come home and get two more !

A win doesn't mean you played well or like you are capable of. In fact Ole Miss is a terrible team that UConn would beat by 40 or 50.

UT does not show any improvement. Still the same ole mistakes that have cost them several losses this year.

The only game that they looked good in was the Kentucky game at home. Why does UT not play with that intensity and effort every game?

As far as me being uninspired...I have been a fan of the LadyVols far longer than you and yes they are not anywhere near inspiring.

gerryblack writes:

in response to jt45:

Great job girls, now come home and get two more !

Just because someone isn't happy with the quality of coaching or the lack luster play doesn't mean that they don't support the team but it does mean that they aren't water carriers such as yourself and are capable of facing reality.

ps11824 writes:

[[[ Stricklen said "We didn't have the energy. The energy wasn't there." ]]]

Tired of this statement being THE TRUTH. Yep, long road trip, but, the season is quickly coming to an end. Not a legacy a Lady Vol would want to leave

xvolx writes:

in response to tovolny:

Good LUCK Dude.

The only letter you could give is the one in your name A******.

jt45 writes:

in response to gerryblack:

Reality is they have 36 straight 20 win seasons
Reality is they are still a force to be reckoned with in womens basketball.
Reality is the season isn't over yet and these LVs need the support of the fans.
Reality is most of us are aware of their shortcomings, whining about it doesn't help.

Jephry writes:

Ole Miss had a couple of BIG girls who were tossing Glory and Strick around in the post for the entire first half. That got Glory flustered and caused Strick to disappear. Meighan was open so she shot...and shot...and shot. If the shooters aren't knocking down shots, they're going to continue to shoot until they start hitting. It's just how it is. Meighan can drive me crazy with some of her shots and turnovers, but the fact remains that she seems to want to help the team with her shooting more than just be a stud scorer. I do think her intentions are good...and when she goes off for 25 everyone loves her. =)

As always, we got Ole Miss's best shot. We get everyone's best shot. Kentucky got Alabama's best shot and withered beneath it. We will get Arkansas's best shot Thursday and Florida's after that. Will they come to play at home? Probably. I think we'll end up winning the SEC and the SEC tournament. The defense is getting better and better with each game. I seem to remember a couple of Candace Parker teams who did the same thing and rode their defense all the way to the NC.

As far as low energy on the road...that had better stop. The entire post season will be on the road.

C'mon LVs. Keep workin', keep winnin'! Go Lady Vols!!

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to ddt#1340890:

The problem is NOT Simmons, it is the coaching that has taken her out of her natural role. She is a leader and was Freshman of the Year!

Her game has not been the same since her first year, we have coached something out of her. She does not know how to lose, so she is overplaying trying to adjust for others short-comings on the court.

We go as Simmons goes just look back a few games and it will prove this. VFL, Go Lady VOLS!!

ModelMaker writes:

in response to underthehill:

Yes and she wasn't even in there in the last five minutes with the game still in doubt. If you don't have your best basketball players in there at the end of the game its very hard to win. Its a good thing we were playing Old Miss and not South Carolina.

ljlongtimevolfan writes:

in response to ddt#1340890:

Agree. If the Lady Vols want to advance deep into the NCAA Tournament they will keep Simmons on the bench.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to gerryblack:

Well said

underthehill writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

The best play I saw in the game was..Burdick was going out of bounds and had to pass the ball..a no look pass to Stricken for a layup and Stricken (not expecting the pass) fumbled it..Burdick to me is the Lady Vol version of Tobias Harris..when she is on the floor she sees things other players do not..both her own and the defense...Burdick makes up for her lack of speed with uncanny ability to anticipate...I see her as being a key to how far this team can go..

underthehill writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

Burdick is a much better player than Spani or Simmons at this point in time..last year is past..

ModelMaker writes:

in response to underthehill:

I agree. Simmons is a good ballplayer with a lot of fire and speed and she could really help this team. The difference between her and say Burdick or Massengale is basketball IQ. Simmon's does not play smart; that's her biggest problem. She does not appear to have a good understanding of the game.

in response to SoddyVol:

Agree completely. This was a game against the last-place team in the league after five straight days on the road. The LVs lacked energy in that situation. Why is this a surprise to anybody? This isn't a video game, it is a game played by flesh-and-blood people who are as affected by fatigue as anybody else. If UConn can be defeated by an unranked team in their own gym, the LVs can be forgiven for a sluggish win on the road. It is clear that this is not a GREAT LV team by the program's historical standards, but they are good enough to win even when they don't play especially well against such an opponent. Let's just hope they still have a few inspired efforts in them when they really need them.

Mike_In_Storrs_CT writes:

If you wanna see my angry comments about Uconn and Geno, You can see them on the Hartford Courant Uconn Husky website, my Nic on that site is just Plain Mike,, And trust me my comments are not very nice.

zandt writes:

maybe they are back on track

vettefool writes:

in response to Jephry:

C'mon LVs. Keep workin', keep winnin'! Go Lady Vols!!

unfortunately I don't see
Candice or anyone even close to her ability on the court when this team plays. we can only hope for the best. I'm not sure why Spani is on the court so much. her lack of defense and quickness doesn't make up for her potential outside shooting, which has been lacking for most of the year. yeah I know she was injured.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to vettefool:

unfortunately I don't see

I have to agree with you about Spani. I don't think she should be starting either.

volsgirl writes: