Vols continue to be dominant against South Carolina, 73-64

Forward Jordan McRae on beating South Carolina

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Tennessee made it 11 straight wins over South Carolina and held on to a share of fourth place in the SEC on Saturday night.

“We just knew we needed to win this game,’’ Vols junior forward Jeronne Maymon said. “We wanted to continue to have something to play for.’’

The Vols (16-13, 8-6) scored a 73-64 men’s basketball victory over the Gamecocks (10-18, 2-12) before a crowd of 7,959 at Colonial Life Arena that included hundreds of orange-clad UT fans.

Tennessee has matched last season’s SEC regular-season win total with games remaining at LSU (9 p.m. Tuesday) and at home against Vanderbilt (4 p.m. Saturday).

The Vols are tied with Alabama (19-9, 8-6) in the SEC standings. The fourth-place team receives a first-round bye in the SEC tournament in New Orleans, which runs March 8-11.

Trae Golden led UT with 21 points, his most in SEC play, and Jordan McRae matched his SEC high with 16 points while pulling down a career-high eight rebounds.

Maymon scored 14 to maintain his streak of scoring at least 12 points in every SEC game this season.

UT won for the sixth time in the past seven games, doing so in wire-to-wire fashion for the first time in SEC play.

“There was no doubt we were going to win this game,’’ McRae said. “But I don’t think it’s time to look at what we’ve accomplished, because there’s so much more we want to do this season.’’

The Vols enjoyed their best performance shooting on the road, hitting 24 of 46 (52.2 percent) from the floor, including 7-of-14 shooting from 3-point range.

It also was UT’s best defensive effort on the road, as South Carolina’s 32.4-percent shooting represented the worst by a home team against the Vols.

It was enough for UT coach Cuonzo Martin to overlook the Vols’ 21 turnovers, which ranked as their second most in a game (25 at Vanderbilt, Jan. 24).

“It’s one of the few games I’ve ever been around with 20-plus turnovers where I thought we played well,’’ Martin said. “We got out of the gate shooting the ball well (and) did a good job handling the press.’’

The Vols extended their 34-32 halftime lead by outscoring South Carolina 10-2 in the opening minutes of the second half, and they put the game away with another 10-2 run comprised of seven straight points from Jarnell Stokes and a Skylar McBee 3-pointer that made it 62-46 with 6:10 left.

South Carolina, led by Bruce Ellington’s 19 points and 17 from Malik Cooke, drew no closer than seven the rest of the game.

UT led by as many as 11 in the first half before the Gamecocks closed on a 9-3 run to cut UT’s lead down to two at intermission. The Vols fueled the South Carolina rally with four turnovers during the final three minutes of the opening half.

UT had used a 9-0 run capped by a Cameron Tatum follow basket to take a 20-9 lead at the 10:11 mark before sloppy play opened the door for South Carolina.

Tatum finished with only five points — which included his first made 3-pointer in and SEC road game this season — but the fifth-year senior posted a team-high nine rebounds and matched a career high with six assists.

“Cam always does what we’re lacking that night,’’ Golden said. “He’s a great all-around player and a typical senior leader in that he does so many more things that don’t necessarily show up in the box score.’’

South Carolina’s most recent victory against UT came on Feb. 17, 2007, winning 81-64 in Columbia.

The Vols played their fourth game without junior center Kenny Hall, who was suspended indefinitely prior to the Feb. 15 game against Arkansas for conduct detrimental to the team.

Martin has said he has yet to decide when or if Hall will return to the team.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

bigdisbig writes:

Its always great to beat the chickens.

VandyisGold writes:

Congrats on another good win. Looked like you also had to battle the refs tonight.

TopTenn writes:

A road win is always great. That is all. GBO!

born2ride writes:

We OWN the Gamecocks.

We OWN the Gators.

Unfortunately the Vols don't fare well against many other SEC teams especially on the road.

jt45 writes:

Good job by Golden. Good all round game except for some turnovers. Tied for fourth is alot better than 11th. Starting to see some consistency with this squad that might just surprise some in the tournament.

maciste54 writes:

If they can somehow finish fourth after being picked eleventh what an accomplishment that would be !

Ironcity writes:

Good game cut back on TO and this team has the makings of something special.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to VandyisGold:

So it wasn't just me on the refs?

Ichabod writes:

Darin Horn looks like he should be managing a Wendy's.

hodocka writes:

Going to look back to the Alabama loss and think, what might have been.

CoverOrange writes:

Florida has to play at Vandy and then Kentucky. Two probable losses.
Vandy has to come to TBA. Should be a game.
Alabama is home against Auburn then at Ole Miss who clobbered LSU today.
5 way battle for 2nd place?

CoverOrange writes:

Excuse me 4. LSU had 7 losses already.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to born2ride:

We OWN the Gamecocks.

We OWN the Gators.

Let me see if I've got this right.
WE OWN the teams we beat.
But:
THE VOLS don't fare well against some others.
(This suggestion where you should go NOT POSTED because the site staff would just remove it anyway)

SummittsCourt writes:

Any road win in the SEC is always a good win. If the Vols win out and finish 4th that should put them in the tourney. Win a couple of games in the SEC tourney and it's guaranteed.

Go Vols!

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Go Vols!

It's possible but highly unlikely if Hall doesn't come back. We need him to give us another option up front. Miller did well the other night but struggled tonight.

We have a dang good coach who demands toughness from his players as is seen on the floor. Im drinking the koolaid!!! GBO!!!

HtownVol writes:

I love the way C Martin has the Vols playing.

Maymon is just getting better every day, and McRae looks like he is going to shape into a great player if he works hard.

Golden is so good when he pushes the ball but he is making too many mistakes late in games. Luckily this one was well in hand.

I have one issue. McBee has proven that he does deserve to play but I cant understand why he is being pushed to play so much. Trae and Mcrae are shooting almost as well as McBee lately and they have the speed to keep up on defense. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying dont play McBee, not at all. It is just the extremely high minutes he is playing. I say this because of the liability he is with the ball in his hands. If he is trapped it is a turnover. If he does not have a shot right away or kick the ball right back out then nothing good happens.

Anyway, I know a few will act like I am killing him. Remember one year ago. This does not compare but I was ragged on every day for the complaining I did on Steven Pearl. I could not stand that he was playing minutes over Maymon, I am sure you would all agree with me now. I dont want anyone to take McBees minutes, I would just like to see his minutes more around 20-25. Each time he sat tonight he was back to the table within 1 minute. A guy like McBee needs energy to run around to lose his defender. Example, Kyle Korver. Korver can not handle the ball and is not a defender, he plays less than half of the game for the Bulls and when he is in he runs his defender all over the floor. I would love to see McBee used in this way.

Just my opinion.

Also, Stokes has so much talent but he really forces it too often like a bull in a china shop. He is double teamed every time I know but I think he is used to scoring and he wants to get his points sometimes. Not much to do right now, he is young and it will develope.

I will be in LSU on Wednesday to support my Vols. Living in Houston I dont get to see them much so I am very excited. I have had my tickets and motel room for 3 months now. SO EXCITED!

GO VOLS

Razor784 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Florida has to play at Vandy and then Kentucky. Two probable losses.
Vandy has to come to TBA. Should be a game.
Alabama is home against Auburn then at Ole Miss who clobbered LSU today.
5 way battle for 2nd place?

Good point and all this is very possible, I think the toughest part will be Tuesday night at LSU, if we win there then I think we're home free.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Go Vols!

If we finish 4th, it will be tough to win two games. Game 1 will be against the winner of 5 versus 12. Then Kentucky. For winning games in the tournament, we may be better off finishing 6th. Then we would get 11 (South Carolina or Auburn?), then 3 (Vandy or Florida), then 2 (or winner of 7/10), then Kentucky. Much better possibilities to win 2 or 3.

But will it do us any favors to get to the final and get blown out on selection Sunday? I don't know. Tough call.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

... "huummm", let's see born2ride... who owns UT ??? and the WHOLE SEC ???

Mike Slive.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

I'll take this team any day of the week over last year's underachievers. There was many a day last year when I came out of TBA wandering how in the heck a team with that much talent could lose to teams like College of Charleston.

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I love the way C Martin has the Vols playing.

Just my opinion.

GO VOLS

McBee is far from a "strong" player...but he does provide hustle IMHO, the best three-point shooting on the team, and the best free-throw shooter on the team. Often, when he is double-teamed, he gets fouled...90% from free throw line. He's playing better "D" than he ever has...agree w/you on his athleticism, speed - and size is also an issue. But, to recap, he does give the Vols depth, some SR leadership, decent "D," 3-pt and free-throw shooting. Steven Pearl had none of McBee's qualities except maybe for some hustle and size...and Pearl was able to play some physical defense against many players bigger than he. There are clearly games we would not have won this year w/out McBee...I'm trying to remember ANY single game last year where Pearl won us a game...just sayin'...

devo-evol writes:

the emergence of mcrae and the continuing development of golden is the the real difference in this team. The beginning was Maymon playing strong he went out with foul trouble and mcrae stepped up and scored and played well all around. When the 2nd half started, golden took over. that is strong that we now have different players stepping up and making a difference. A couple of games it was mcbee, last game it was miller, but maymon is always a rock and different guys are stepping up to pick up the slack. mcrae has really impressed me. he can really be a dynamic guy all over the court, defending, dishing assists, driving, shooting the three.... we have really needed that other guy and he is stepping in to those shoes. if they can go to LSU and steal a win as good as they are playing now and beat the 'dores as home they will really have some momentum going into the conference tourney and no matter what happens should get some sort of look for post season, probably NIT but a deep run in the SEC tourney and you never know.

devo-evol writes:

i am really drinking the coach martin koolaid now. you can really see this team developing and improving every game. i was all about the excitement of Pearl and was devestated by the scandal and downfall. i thought we were back to the bottom feeder status of the 80's and 90's but we have a chance for a 1st round bye in the tourney.... no one saw that coming before the season started.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

I was a little worried about this game, but really only worried about what kind of game UT would bring with them. They settled that issue from the start. They came lean, mean and focused.
They know that they can't fool around with anybody, especially on the road. The players owned up to that this week. So I was extremely proud of the effort they brought tonight. Sounds like a group of guys have bought into a good coach's philosophy. Good game overall. Gotta do the same or even more against LSU.

Aussievol writes:

The worst thing that happened today was that LSU got destroyed on the road. You know they will be desperate and fired up back at home against the Vols. Look at what the Vols did at home against Ole Miss after getting beat down on the road against Bama. Look at what Ole Miss just did at home to LSU after getting beat bad on the road to the Vols. It seems to be a trend with all these middle of the pack SEC teams. Nothing like the comfort of home. Hope Im wrong come Wednesday.

tobytyler writes:

in response to ScoonerTN:

Shut up Kentucky fan, god I hate Kentucky fans. Enjoy your 35 wins and your annual choke job under calipari in the ncaa tournament.

SeminaryVol writes:

in response to Aussievol:

Perhaps, but we really needed LSU to lose in order to move ahead of them in the standings. Remember, the Vols are going to lose any and all tiebreakers because of our poor overall record.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I love the way C Martin has the Vols playing.

Just my opinion.

GO VOLS

McBee gets his minutes to keep defenses honest

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

in response to hodocka:

Going to look back to the Alabama loss and think, what might have been.

Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Austin Peay, and Oakland

iowavol writes:

in response to bvol1inSC:

Agree with your response regarding McBee and Pearl. Maymon is a completely different player this year, especially on the defensive end. McBee gets beat every now and then on the quick step - but generally he plays pretty good solid D. Loved seeing him in there grabbing rebounds last night. This team and this coach have come a long way this year. How would we look if we had the first 15 games as a do over - probably 12-3 and in much better shape. Coach is more active on the sidelines as well. Liked seeing him go after the refs last night - sure looked like the calls weren't even at all.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

same old bs from you also

FanNotSheep writes:

Should beat LSU. No excuses if we don't, even on the road. Vandy will probably be hard to handle but that's another win if the Vols bring their best effort and take care of the ball. A 10-6 SEC record may not be good enough with the non-conference losses, but momentum going into whatever postseason play the Vols qualify for will make them a team no one wants to face. How different is that from where they were in December?

Martin should win coach of the year if they go 10-6. He probably won't, but even though I never played anything more organized than 3-on-3, I could coach the guys Calimari recruits.

jt45 writes:

in response to iowavol:

Yes I agree their were some bad calls, there seems to be a bunch of those this year. LSU will be a tough game, win or lose I like the way coach Martin has become more active on the side court, that kind of intensity I believe helps to keep them focused. When you look back at earlier games that were lost, Martin was not up at all, I think that one of the main keys for this squad is for coach Martin to stay active and after them the whole game.They play much better when he does that.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to jt45:

I know LSU was on a little hot streak and it's tough to win on the road, but did you see their loss to Ole Miss? If UT takes care of business -- and the basketball -- that's a win.

bsimpg3 writes:

Anyone else but me think CCM is a shoe-in for SEC COY? Best coaching job I've seen in awhile, on ANY level! Looking forward to years of success. GBO!!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

ScoonerTroll would win it all with Cals recruits but the games would be forfeited later

climberNeeds2workATwendys writes:

they..won..again..darn it..i thought most of the people wanted Coach Martin fired on here..oh well..just takes another loss and the cry babies of instant gratification will want him fired.just his first year here..a classy coach teaching hustle,defense and beats ranked teams with just his first team ..great job coach..hands out suckers to the impatient fans

NickDanger-ThirdEye writes:

in response to SeminaryVol:

overall record is not a criterion for tie-breaks. head-to-head, record in the division, record against the higher ranked teams in the league by league record, etc are instead. Overall record is never considered.

NickDanger-ThirdEye writes:

oops, posted that division record comment above out of habit. no divisions this year of course. GBO

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Go Vols!

They pretty much have to win the SEC tourney to make the NCAA field. Their RPI is still way too low and although they are playing better of late, they also have 13 losses, some of which are to some pretty bad teams, ie, Georgia, Austin Peay, Oakland, College of Charleston. Before we fret about the "what ifs" had we beaten Bama, we should probably feel worse about the four bad losses. Win those and the NCAA is almost guaranteed at 20-9! It is remotely possible, if things fall right, that if we win out and get to the SEC final and play well we could steal an at-large bid with a 20-14 record, 8-2 over our last ten games but I doubt it. Only if the rest of our conference folds up and the committee can't justify letting in only three teams - Kentucky, Vandy, and Florida. Even then, it's highly unlikely we would get in as a fourth team from the East without a representative from the West, probably Bama or MSU. Nope, if we want in the NCAA's our only legitimate path is clear - win the tournament. And we'd better beat LSU and a game in Atlanta too if we want to make the NIT! Go Vols!!!

Ichabod writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I love the way C Martin has the Vols playing.

Just my opinion.

GO VOLS

Sounds like a pretty well thought out and concise overview. Personally, I am blown away by the air of confidence and determination that CCM brings to the floor, and installs in his team. We are lucky to have him, and I'd think the same if we went three and out from here.
The BEST NEWS from your post is that you'll be in BR ! Wear your orange and scream your lungs out - WE NEED A WIN ! GBO!

TheFuj writes:

Any road win is a good win. Turnovers still kill us. Thought Tatum actually played very well. When Maymon went out with foul problems, Tatum hit the defensive boards. I think he was leading rebounder.
Mcrae played very well.

makelemonade writes:

in response to SeminaryVol:

Overall record isn't and has never been used as a tie breaker. We are actually in the driver's seat when it comes to tie breakers. If we win out(a big if), there's a good chance of a four way tie for second between us, UF, AL, & Vandy. In that scenario, we win the tie breaker. Who would have thunk it?

GerryOP writes:

in response to hodocka:

Going to look back to the Alabama loss and think, what might have been.

Don't look back ... don't ever look back.

dv8ing writes:

Good win for the team. CM has done a great job. NCAA tournament is out of the question unless they win the SEC tournament. That is NOT out of the question. If UT ends up playing KY, they have a good shot at winning the game. It is very difficult to beat a team 3 time in one season. KY may take the game a little lightly, UT will be very hungry for the win. Yes, I'm a KY fan, have been all my life. But they are young and have struggled in a few games. A loss would be good for KY just before the NCAA tournament. A "wake up call" as they say. Otherwise, KY could exit the NCAA in the second or third round. My pick to win it all....Ohio St. UT fan except when they play KY. lol Have a great day all.

onevol writes:

Martin is doing a good job with the hand he was dealt. But this team will not be going anywhere except maybe the NIT this year due to the turnovers. An athletic team with a good full court defense would destroy them.

But I do like what I see for next year with most everyone coming back.

Vol-N-Fl writes:

Great to win, too many turnovers, and please don't quit being aggressive on offense at the end of the game. I kept thinking they were going to give the game away.

GO VOLS!!

UT4prez writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

I agree on no NCAA unless we win the SEC tourney. I admit I still have some thoughts an at large could happen if we win our last 2, beat KY in the semis and lose a close game to a good team in the final but even then it is doubtful. I also agree on the NIT. We're not in yet. We have to at the very least win 1 of the last 3 (if we only get 1 SEC game). I think we need 2 wins to feel good about the NIT.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

I remember some idiot saying they'd win one game in January...now they're guaranteed at least a .500 finish in the leauge that the so-called "experts" said they'd finish 11th in.

RockVegas writes:

I think the players have bought in to coach Zo's system.We should have beat them by 30,but I'll take it.The refs wanted to give the game to the chickens,but we held on with good "D" and rebounding.I hope we can get a good recruiting class in and Tennessee basketball should be back in the mix of things.Did you guys see Allan Houston shoot the lights out on Saturday night?coach Zo should get him to stop in every now and then to give pointers on shooting the rock,because he still got it....GBO.