UT vs. Memphis: Different teams since Maui classic

Cuonzo Martin on Tennesssee's win over Chattanooga

Sparks flew the last time Tennessee and Memphis collided on Nov. 22 in the EA Sports Maui Invitational.

There's no reason to believe tonight's men's basketball rivalry game amid the electric confines of FedEx Forum (TV: FSTN, 8 p.m.) will be any different.

The Tigers prevailed in the first meeting, 99-97 in a double-overtime affair that featured 53 fouls and numerous other collisions and contested calls while ranking as the highest scoring contest in the teams' 23-game series history.

The Vols (7-6) bring a season-high four-game win streak into tonight's contest and a newfound sense of confidence against a talented Tigers (8-5) team that has struggled more than many expected.

"It's not so much we are disappointed; the teams we have lost to are good teams and they've all been ranked,'' Memphis coach Josh Pastner said on the News Sentinel's Sports Page radio show on Tuesday. "We've had some good wins, so we're trying to understand it's too early to judge a season. We've played a very tough non-conference strength of schedule, and Tennessee gives us our last test before we open conference play.''

The Vols are in a similar situation, though UT's SEC schedule — which begins against Florida at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 11 a.m.) — will take a decidedly upward tick while Memphis settles into Conference USA play.

"We've made strides since the last time we played them, as it has been a case of us putting two halves together and getting some consistency in our rotations,'' UT coach Cuonzo Martin said in a phone interview from Memphis on Tuesday night. "Where we went wrong in the first game (against Memphis) was our quick shots led to their transition baskets, and those guys feed off transition baskets.''

No doubt, the Tigers feature one of the quickest backcourts in the nation, and Pastner's team is built to run the floor and excel in one-on-one play.

The Vols, who benefitted from a 32-point, 20-rebound effort from power forward Jeronne Maymon in the last meeting, have worked to be more selective with their shots on offense. On defense, Tennessee has improved its ability build walls and prevent dribble penetration.

As much as the game will feature the two coaches adjusting their Xs and Os, there also is a human element.

While Memphis aims to show its home fans that it's ready to regain unquestioned status as the dominant team in the series after the close call in Hawaii, the Vols are in search of revenge and validation.

"In Maui, we were trying to figure out who we were as a team, and we look back and realize how close we were to beating that team, so we go into the game with a lot of confidence,'' UT senior Cameron Tatum said following the Vols' 76-63 win over Chattanooga on Monday. "It's still fresh on our brains; guys were hurt by that loss because we had a chance to win.

"We feel that was a game we should have won. We had so many mental lapses — mental lapses we're not making now.''

UT point guard Trae Golden, who was 3-of-19 shooting in that loss but provided seven assists and three steals, said this season has been a growing experience.

"I think we're more mature than the first time we played them,'' Golden said. "We've been through a lot of ups and downs as a team, and I understand better what Coach Martin wants from me. So many things, it's hard to explain it all.''

The Vols rallied from 16 points down in Hawaii to send the game into overtime, but Martin said it's important his team stay within striking distance in this contest.

"Playing in Memphis, it's important we feed off the energy and the atmosphere,'' Martin said. "But when you're a competitive player, you have to maintain your focus on the things you need to do to win the game.

"For us, it will be a matter of sticking to the script.''

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

lgilbert writes:

This game will be a good picture of where we are at against the better teams we are getting ready to face throughout the rest of the season. If this team plays to its potential and together, it will be a win. Look forward to a good game either way. Go Big Orange.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

They better beat Memphis because starting Saturday it's going to get ugly. After The Gators blast the vawls, they will lose the next 5 to start SEC play at 0-5 with a loss to UCONN mixed in for good measure.

Keep Quizno!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Hey1We've beaten them before. No big deal.
Well it IS in Memphis. Eeeeelllllviiis.
One for the money...two for the show...3 from the top of the key! Now go Vols Go!!!

tobytyler writes:

It's a good thing pastnor can recruit, because he can't coach a lick. I mean they are loaded and they can't beat one ranked team on their schedule. If we can get a win there tonight it would be huge. If we can take out barton, we can stay with them. Memphis fans have to be leery of the recruiting ramifications too, because it means ccm can come in and get more than just stokes. I'll admit though I miss pearl and calipari talking trash to each other. Cm and Jp almost make this bitter rivalry seem sane again, I like the hatred better. Go vols.

tobytyler writes:

Oh yeah one more thing, we already beat Memphis once this year. We beat them out of one of their own when we got mr.stokes,that's better than beating Memphis anyway.

BolivrBob writes:

Just hope it doesn't turn into a rout

JayTee writes:

You better hope Golden doesn't get in another shooting contest with his Memphis counterpart again.

Ironcity writes:

Not feeling it. I have a bad feeling about this game. UT has been awful on the road against mid majors not sure why we should expect them to suddenly spring up and beat a talented team. This is a good measuring stick for UT. I hope I am wrong.

brod writes:

need a win bad. the time to step up is now.

VictorKruger writes:

McRae's shot selection has been horrible the past few games. If he finds his game again and Golden doesn't lose his UT has a good chance.

makelemonade writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Just hope it doesn't turn into a rout

I wouldn't mind one bit if we rout them. Oh, I see, you mean them rout us? Not gonna happen.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

UT's inside presence might meet a challenge now that the Tigers have Ferrakon Hall tandem with Tarik Black. If UT can get the Tigers bigs in foul trouble they may ink out the win. On the other hand Will Barton is playing like a first round draft pick. Containing him will not be easy. Adonis Thomas had a great game last and for a Freshman he is playing as expected. The Vols need more than Maymon to win this. Should be a great game again.

DougSharp writes:

It will certainly be a rout in Memphis and it'll begin in the first five minutes of the game. Watch and see if I know what I'm talking about! In Maui I thought wow, if this is the 11th. best team in the SEC then rest of the country is in real trouble playing SEC teams. Then the confidence bubble burst as quickly as it filled for the Vols. We started getting beat by teams that could have never been competitive against the Maui lineup Tennessee faced. The string of wins of late against very sub-par teams hasn't convinced me that we are back to playing at the early season level.

This is my opinion: Inconsistency in coaching standards is what leads to roller coast performances in any sport. PERIOD. If you demand the best everyday in practice in classrooms, in conduct, in everything - this is what you'll get, or you'll end up having to replace those that refuse to step up to that level of expectation. Simply look at all the long-term successful sports programs in American history and you'll find that to be the common denominator. You merely have to look across the aisle to the Women's basketball team to see a real-life version of that concept. The rest of the sports programs at U.T. needs to take note. As we all know C. Martin, and Dave Hart don't have a history of reaching that level of success themselves, so I doubt that it'll happen during their watch! You have to get incredible effort out of less talented players in order to be a successful men's basketball coach at a place like Tenn. where you're not ever going to get the diaper-dandies. C.Martin as a coach (right now anyways)simply is not the man to do this CONSISTENTLY! Fact of life, deal with it.

born2ride writes:

Kenpom.com (usually a very good predictor of games) has Memphis winning 79-66.

RPI ratings:

Memphis - #34
UT - #279

I can't believe how far UT basketball has fallen so fast without Pearl.

underthehill writes:

in response to tobytyler:

Memphis State is loaded with very athletic players that can score. They lack team chemistry and lose to physical teams that rebound and defend well. I think Martin will have a good plan and hope they can get it done.

VolMoment writes:

DOUG SHARP'S comments shows he knows nothing about BB. Pearl did not leave Martin much to work with. That is not a criticism of Pearl. With Tobias Harris leaving, it
was going to be a down year for Pearl also compared to prior years. You want UT to fail so badly that Stokes seeing what Martin can do and made your brain flip to great fear. I am for your coach being there another ten years!!!!!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to DougSharp:

Everyone has the right to an opinion. My opinion is that your opinion requires you to change your screen name to DougDull.

There is no person- player, coach, executive, agent, journalist, or even fan - nobody that points to anything in Coach Cuonzo Martin's character or coaching style that even comes close to the word "inconsistency." In fact, everyone down to the last man swears that Coach Martin is the epitome of consistency.

As for history, it is clear as crystal. What did Coach Martin bring to Missouri State? 11-20 his first year, 20-12 his next year (CIT appearance and title), and 26-9 the third year (NIT appearance). You dont call that success?

Like I said, "sharp" doesnt belong in the screen name.

And that is the only fact of life you need to deal with.

underthehill writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenpom.com (usually a very good predictor of games) has Memphis winning 79-66.

RPI ratings:

Memphis - #34
UT - #279

I can't believe how far UT basketball has fallen so fast without Pearl.

I can't believe how good a job Martin is doing under the circumstances. I am looking forward to seeing them every game. I can't believe I am doing this ..but I like Martin not making excuses and going about his business like a professional should and getting the most out of what he currently has. I was not surprised he got Stokes and I think he will get more talented players that take a close look at Martin's background. I have a friend who coached Jr. College many years in this area and knows far more basketball than I do and he says the same about Martin. When I hear what is coming from the players, I get the idea Martin is a highly intelligent people person who is destined for success.

Pompey writes:

in response to DougSharp:

....Doug Dull seems to enjoy displaying his basketball ignorance and anti Vols bias...truth is a Tiger High win means nothing to this evolving program. All Martin must show now is simple and unmistakeable progress through his conference campaign, while Doug Dull must grow a brain.....

Govols2012 writes:

Given what their schedule looks like the rest of the way. I would have to say that the VOLS go .500 or one game better than that and go to the NIT

Bubba_Knows writes:

Not seeing a W on the road against Memphis with a team that struggles against UNC Asheville and UT Chatt.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Look for a breakout game for Golden. Oh and Woolridge...maybe Tatum too...er uh Hall could really stand out tonight...McRae is due!!! What about Makanjuola will have an offensive career high... Maymon will have 20 'bounds I think...Hey what about Washpun? He and Richardson will combine for 30 points!! Summitt WILL hit a 3pointerlast second to push us over a hundred points. UT 101 Memphis 1(from a Hall foul only foul by UT).
also 7 different 5 star players call after the game to verbally commit.
The same drivel is posted after the game about how bad Martin is.
Ok not likely...well not likely except the drivel part.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Momma said Bubba Knows his stuff regardless of what happens in the box of chocolates.....

On topic,tough game to call depending on which VOL team shows up versus which tigger team takes the floor....

underthehill writes:

in response to EightLetters:

I don't see where Martin has made any excuses for this team and neither have I. They have lost to teams they should not have lost to and when they did Martin said we will have to work harder and get better. I think this is most reasonable reaction and not excuses. I have watched a lot of SEC games and agree SEC wins will be difficult and may not be many. Martin getting Stokes says to me this program has come much further at this point than anyone expected..and I am waiting to see if it influences other talented players to want to play for Martin. I can see where you would conclude this season does not look promising but I think Martin is on the right track...

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to EightLetters:

If you'd told me we'd have 15 wins at the beginning of the year I would have smiled outside and laughed at you inside. Most fans I think thought we'd really struggle this year regardless of our hopeful posting. well we were right but 15 games are still a stretch. Not because we're a bad team but because the SEC is that good at the top.
The real surprise is that Memphis has lost...what 5 games? kentucky has lost 3? another surprise to me is that Syracuse hasn't lost any!! Duke has lost a few. The Vandy trolls have been scarce on here. Florida seems to be the most consistent SEC team. Well unless you count Mizzou! I can see us maybe winning 15...maybe 18 if we hit some of these upper inconsistent teams at the right circumstances. We'll hsve to play at a higher level than we have and we'll have to work Stokes into the lineup asap...ormaybe Makenjuols.lol
Anyway you look at it we're doing better and progressing than what we thought at the end of last season and the beginning of this one.

Go VOLS!

budd#207344 writes:

in response to DougSharp:

Please give the facts behind your statement that CCM & DH do not show the ability to reach that level of success. CCM won the championship at his last head coaching position and has won the battle against cancer. DH was the AD for NC at FSU and oversaw the improvement of many other FSU programs.
Please tell me where they fail to show the ability to achieve.

westknoxrepub writes:

Nothing the team has done this season gives anyone any reason to believe they're going to win this game. I think it'll be a double digit win for the Tigers, then we go on an SEC slide straight to 12th place. Stokes shouldn't be expected to make a huge difference this year, and next year he might make us somewhat better but given what he'll be surrounded with in the form of Martin's other recruits, I don't see an NCAA tournament in our future.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

UT lost to this team by two points after two overtimes. They had just played Duke and lost by ten. Yet nothing the team has done this season gives anyone any reason to believe they're going to win this game?

You really are an idiot

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to budd#207344:

You really are an idiot

I'm sorry, perhaps the losses to Oakland, Austin Peay, and College of Charleston SINCE the first Memphis game have clouded my judgement a bit. Evidence suggests Maui was the exception rather than the rule.

voloffaith writes:

Officer Friday said,"nothing but the facts maam." Optimism isn't bad when tempered with a sprinkling here and there of reality. So that being said...read my part 2 of 11:42am post....

budd#207344 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Have you looked at the Memphis losses? Of course not

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Have you looked at the Memphis losses? Of course not

#15 Michigan, Georgetown, Murray State (Currently #18 with a 14-0 record), #4 Louisville, another loss to #16 Georgetown. . .nope, no losses to a 1-9 team in there. I fail to see your point.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

My point is that they have lost a number of games as well. We played them to within 2 points and that is all the facts there are. They have lost as well and they have not done anything that shows they are now that much better than we are. But you continue to downgrade the coach and the players without any facts. If they do beat us badly then we have regressed. But I will concede that when it happens. In the meantime I feel I have seen progress in this team.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Every team they have lost to is currently ranked in the top 25. The only team we've lost to that is currently ranked is Duke. We lost to a 1-9 Austin Peay team, if that ISN'T regression then I don't know what is.

Vol1973 writes:

GBO... make the cats jump through hoops!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I just deleted half a book in respnse to the "visitors" on here and decided that Hey. Let's just have fun and watch them play. Win or lose. It doesn't really matter.
Go Vols beat Tigers. OK forget the "doesn't matter statement. I hate Memphis! Elvis you better watch out tonight 'cause someone's leaving the building a winner.
Go UT!!! YEAH Whoooeee! No I'm not drunk as I no longer partake of the strong drink.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Hope the Vols win this one, but realistically speaking it won't happen. With the Maui thing, it took a career night from Maymon. Since then he has reverted back to last year's player. 17 of 31 throws since then after hitting 16 of 17 in Maui. I see a Memphis win 84-68

No doubt both teams are different than what they were when they played in Hawaii. Both teams are young this year with a lot of new faces in the mix. I give Memphis a bit of an overall edge in sheer talent but they have somewhat underachieved in terms of preseason expectations. Expectations have been much lower for the Vols but they have surely had their ugly stumbles--the APSU game may live eternally in Vols basketball infamy--but I have seen signs of improvement in just about every game since. On paper, the recent Vol victims are inferior to the teams Memphis has played and often lost to. The Vols' best chance to win will be continuing to demonstrate good teamwork and maturity in the face of a large, hostile crowd and a hungry, athletic team. It would do wonders for the program to win but it could be a crusher if the Vols lose big. From this point on, the Vols have no "gimme" games, but they have a number of winnable ones. Winning this one makes winning more games like it more likely, as success breeds confidence. The main thing going forward is that a loss doesn't KILL their confidence. The key to this game is which team has grown most AS a team. If it comes down to a contest of individual athletes, Memphis wins. If Memphis' athletes have jelled into a true team and UT gets intimidated, Memphis wins big.

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

That is certainly a valid point, but I also rather doubt that Golden will go 3-for-19 again either; if he had shot even 40% at Maui, the Vols win going away. I think he has grown enough to just stop shooting so much if he is off that badly. He should be able to drive on Memphis, but he needs to dish off more when he DOES get penetration; every Memphis player looks to swat everything remotely within reach. If the Vols can make that work for them with shot fakes, patience, and concentration, Memphis will be in foul trouble all night and the Vols CAN win this one.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

You obviously don't know anything about college basketball... After a long plane trip from Hawaii the Oakland game was a classic "trap" game that many ranked teams would have lost..College of Charleston about beat Louisville at Louisville..small teams can beat bigger name schools often..Do you even watch the NCAA tournament every year ? Idiot !!!

FearMyMohawk writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Maymon just airballed a free throw btw...

DougSharp writes:

51 points, Is Kevin Oneil back? I guess I showed my basketball ignorance by predicting that game as someone suggested. Most folks on here don't understand, I've been a Vol fan longer than some of them have been alive. The difference between fans like me, versus those that only want to focus their attention on the other posters here, is that some of us live in the REAL world and are objective rather than simply being bias to a point you sound ridiculous. Martin's expectation level of his players is what I was talking about when I referred to "inconsistency" as I mentioned off the court conduct as well. Who knows how many players that have played under him have graduated or are expected to graduate on time?

EXPECTATIONS!

As of today Tenn has the worst record of all SEC teams, and will probably finish the season that way. So I get it. Those making negative comments about me are really just as frustrated about the status of Vol athletics as I am, but they're just too insecure to face reality. Sorry for sounding so dull here.

FearMyMohawk writes:

What a terrible effort. Im still wondering why Stokes even signed to UT. Oh well, if you enjoy misery like the Coach Doo Doo lovers obviously do, then welcome to UT.

EarthBoundMisfit writes:

in response to tobytyler:

you didn't 'beat' us for Stokes, we did not have a scholarship to offer him.
But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to DougSharp:

EXPECTATIONS!

Dougiedull...maybe that should be your handle.
I think that the people who prefer to see the "glass as full" aren't living in a dream. Maybe we have"vision". IT COULD BE!lol
Inconsistency? From what I've seen the Vols are very consistent as a team at least. Offensively we've depended on one person to step up and defensively we've allowed one person to step it up.
The opposing coaches seem to really be taking advantage of our obvious weaknesses.
1. Defense at the point.
2. overall passing at half court O.
3. lack of creativity in shooting. McRae, Golden sometimes, Hall doesn't need this(JUST SLAM THE THING)
4. Ball-handling- perimeter players of all things
5. Confidence- someone in a post talked of how they won't look the other team in the eye at end of games. Good sign of feeling inferior.
6. Tatum- I don't mean to diss a player but "man-up"! Athletically as good as anyone on the court but how often does he dunk it? How often does he take it to the basket and come up short? Focus, confidence, and determination. Fear at times
7. Hall-Same things. SLAM THE BALL (ya wimp)just kidding I suppose.
8. Maymon-you've had a couple of good games and one of those was against a "superior team" athletically speaking. What's your problem? Get off the floor sometimes. Or go strong around the defense like you did at Maui.
8. Either the rating system is skewed or we just missed on the 4 star talent we got. Maybe both. Still if we are less talented then the more the need to play as a team. Last night we broke down as a team and that usually is a point guard issue. I didn't think it was as much so. Golden had a pretty good game. His passing could have been much better but the screens and movement as a team didn't help him at all.
9. Da&^% it don't leave a player like Black open what? At least 5 times. If we have to stick with man to man then stay with your man. Those dunks took the heart out of our game. I will admit that a time out would have been nice...but how was Martin supposed to know they'd break down that many times?
10. we're not among the top 5 SEC teams. I right now can't see it even this year with Stokes. Next year with a little patience maybe so.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to FearMyMohawk:

Golly you're clever! How did you think up that "Coach Doo Doo" stuff? MAYBE Stokes came here for his own reasons and it had nothing to do with the coaches. Who knows for sure? Maybe he came here just because he thinks he can progress better and faster under coach Martin? I don't know. Regardless I don't think it has anything to do with "Coach Doo Doo" and football. Actually football to me (not an expert) seems to be ahead a little as far as recruiting goes. We DO need some good coaches to step in and coach the "DOO DOO" out of our young players.
Next year IS really looking to be a much improved squad regardless of the opposing team "visitors" and posters on here. That goes for bball as well.

DougSharp writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Dougiedull...maybe that should be your handle.
1. Defense at the point.
2. overall passing at half court O.
4. Ball-handling- perimeter players of all things
7. Hall-Same things. SLAM THE BALL (ya wimp)just kidding I suppose.

Excellent breakdown in detail mocsandvolsfan as to the on court issues! Wish I had the time to communicate on that level here. Good basketball stuff!!!! Thanks for posting that!
Yep, the dougie-dull handle would have been a lot more crafty.