Point guard Cory Stanton transferring to UT

Stanton leaving Lipscomb, will have to sit out through fall

Cory Stanton

Cory Stanton

Point guard Cory Stanton is transferring from Lipscomb to Tennessee and is expected to join the Vols as a walk-on this season, a source in the UT men's basketball department confirmed on Sunday.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he could not speak publicly about the matter, which was first reported by Govols247.com.

Stanton is not officially on the team yet, and he won't be able to practice until he has been admitted into school. However, no complications with his eligibility or transcript are anticipated.

Stanton, a 2010 graduate of Springfield High School, some 30 minutes north of Nashville, started his career at Clemson and played in 33 games for the Tigers last season.

Stanton transferred to Lipscomb last July with three years of eligibility remaining. By NCAA rule, he is sitting out this season.

The 5-foot-11 Stanton averaged 2.4 points and 10.7 minutes per game last season at Clemson. Stanton scored a career-high nine points in the 20 minutes he played for the Tigers against Michigan last season, and he also scored seven points on 3-of-5 shooting in a game against North Carolina.

Stanton was rated as the No. 7 player in Tennessee by Tennessee Prep Hoops coming out of Springfield High School, where he averaged 23.7 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists as a senior.

The Vols have two point guards on their roster, sophomore Trae Golden and freshman Wes Washpun. Fresh

man Josh Richardson can also play point guard, but he has done so sparingly this season and currently starts at shooting guard.

UT has a verbal commitment from Class of 2013 point guard Travon Landry of Bob Jones High School near of Huntsville, Ala.

The Vols have used their allotment of scholarships in the Class of 2012.

The incoming signing class includes Florida junior college shooting guard D'Montre Edwards (6-6, 210, Brevard Community College), wing Derek Reese (6-7½, 205, Olympia High School, Orlando, Fla.) and mid-term signee power forward Jarnell Stokes (6-8, 255, Memphis Southwind High School).

Stokes graduated from high school in December and will begin practicing with the Vols today. Once the SEC signs off on Stokes' high school transcript — it has already been approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center — he will be able to play in games.

Tennessee (8-7, 1-0 SEC) plays at Mississippi State (13-3, 0-1) on Thursday night (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.).

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

I was hoping the kid could play this year. Always like D1 talent that is coming as a walk on.

Don't know much about the kid but I know we need help at the point. So for that reason nice pick up Coach.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Read somewhere he went to Wright State, then Clemson, then Lipscomb and now UT. Probably safe to assume he will be here 1 year.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

appears unstable, but he is just a walk on...Who knows, may turn out great

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

He committed to brownell while he was at wright state and when brownwell was named hc at clemson..he decommitted and commited to clemson following the coach...he left clemson to be closer to home apparently home sick..

1vavolfan writes:

We will now have 3 point guards on the team next year and the kid we have verbally committed in 2013. My guess is that CCM would rather play Golden at the 2 and is not sold on Washpun being a starting PG. This kid is a walk on but if he played for Clemson pretty sure there was a insinuation that he would be on scholarship next season. Good to get Stanton in here to practice with the team the rest of the season, as well as summer workouts.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

Don't care how he got to UT. As long as he works hard, provides competition to his teammates, and elevates the overall level of play...then we should be happy to have him.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Doubt that Trae would move to the two. He's too short. He has the build for the one, and he is making progress there. He's only a midseason sophomore. I doubt CCM has given up on him as a one. I think Landry is just building depth. A walk-on doesn't cost us anything for next year. I wouldn't be so sure Stanton will automatically get a scholarship. We need to spend some ships on big men, as Woolridge, Hall, Maymon, and Miller will all be gone after next season, and Stokes might also. I could be wrong about all of this, of course, just talking out loud here

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Point is my favorite position. I love to watch good ones. But in some schemes it seems you don't have to be a real point. Plus there aren't that many true points out there...I mean ones that truly QB the team. Ah well those days may be over. Now it's 3 shooting guards and sometimes 4.lol

kcbigorngX writes:

I wonder if Mr. Stanton can conjure up some mojo from the old "Springfield Rifle", aka John Darden.

Before going on to UT and teaming up with Ernie & Bernie, young John passed thru our little high school in a road game and lit the place up.

It was amazing to watch his small frame as he dribbled theball so hard it seemed like splinters were flying up from the floor with each bounce.

He would shoot from anywhere. If someone wasn't on him within 3 steps of coming across half-court he would usually make you pay.

The closest thing to Oscar Robertson to ever come thru these parts.

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Your post lays out all the reasons for Stanton's immediate value to this team (and why, I'm guessing, CCM signed him now): to study and run opponents' offense in practice, thus freeing up Washpun to focus solely on developing as UT's pg.

Stanton has no concerns about earning playing time this year, certainly wants to continue developing as a player, and will arrive highly motivated to earn the respect of his new teammates in practice.

Perfect position, perfect timing, for him and our team.

What I haven't heard yet is whether he's quick enough to improve our D against all the drive&dish point guards we'll be facing. Anybody know what kind of O Clemson played while he was there?

doctorvol#211700 writes:

good get. Washpun not SEC material. A point that cannot shoot or handle ball is a liability.

FanNotSheep writes:

Gotta have somebody to get the ball to Stokes. The Bernie & Ernie show really took off when they got a top-notch point guard.

shoalcreekvol writes:

Nice pickup. Welcome to Big Orange Country, kid.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Agree with your post, but I think Woolridge is a sr. With Golden at point, and Washpun at backup, we have Landry coming in. JMO, I would have preferred next year's scholly going to a big man.

brod writes:

what happened to chris jones from memphis?

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to doctorvol#211700:

Partially true statement on Washpun, but he does have upside. He desperately needs to develop a mid range jump shot, better ball control (dribble drive against the press)and more aggressiveness going to the basket with a strong finish. The upside as mentioned is he has good Bball IQ to get this done hopefully by next season. He is extremely athletic with serious hops. I don't see him being a prolific point guard, but more of a system type point guard. He'll be a true extension of the coach on the floor. Like Richardson he needs to get stronger in the weight room.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Agree. He's just a freshman feeling his way along. Too early to make any determinations. If he strengthens his body and dedicates himself to improving, he might fit the bill. He's one player where the RTL will do him some good.

Govols2012 writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Jackson_dares_you_to_say_what_again:

I agree, I thought the same thing

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to brod:

what happened to chris jones from memphis?

Just my opinion he's just not a fit for CCM's system. He really is a lot like Golden in that he is a 2 guard having to play the point. He is not tall either, 5'10". Perhaps someone else on here may have more insight on him.

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Agree with others that Stanton is probably there mainly for practice purposes for now at least, but I SURELY agree with you that Martin needs to land some more big guys ASAP. The Vols could have one of the better front-lines in the game next year, but after that the cupboard looks pretty bare up front. Who knows, there could be some considerable shuffling of the roster in the off-season. For the WKR's out there who are concerned about the fact that all scholarships for next year's class are all used up, these are, I repeat, ONE-YEAR DEALS that can be pulled and offered to others if the need arises.

in response to kcbigorngX:

The closest thing to Oscar Robertson to ever come thru these parts.

Not to challenge your memory of Darden as a high-schooler, but remember that Oscar Robertson was 6'5" and over 200 pounds, and AVERAGED a triple-double for his college career, in the days when not many college centers were any bigger. He was the model for Magic Johnson and all subsequent big guards. Darden was about 5'10" and 160, IIRC, and likely never hit double figures in scoring in more than a game or two a year at UT.

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Last I heard, Jones was in junior-college somewhere, having failed to qualify academically for a four-year school. You are right that he is small, though pretty talented in HS. He MIGHT have been the true PG this team needs, but I agree with others that he would have made for a pretty small back-court if he pushed Golden to the 2 spot.

kwcoach writes:

Glad we are not giving him a scholarship. He won't be around long.

VolGrad writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

FYI, Stokes cannot leave after this season. He will NOT be eligible for the draft as per NBA eligibility rules.

But yes, we definitely need a big guy or at least someone who can play big in the paint. I remember seeing 6'7" Rob Jones out-play both the twin towers from Kentucky back in early 80s. You don't find those too often. But after the improvement we've seen in Maymon (6'7") and Hall (6'9"), maybe Cuonzo can coach up a smaller guy for that role.

GBO!

in response to VolGrad:

GBO!

VolunteerLifer said the Vols will lose those guys after NEXT season. The only post player we lose after THIS year is Woolridge. I do agree that it is not necessary to be seven feet tall to play effectively inside if a post player is quick, strong, smart, and tough enough. You can't teach height, as the saying goes, but height alone isn't worth much if not accompanied by those other qualities. I remember Rob Jones well. He got about as much out of his ability and size as any Vol ever.

VolGrad writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I guess I missed that one word, "next."

You probably remember Doug Roth then, 6'11". I don't mean to be too critical, but Rob Jones was three times the player Doug was. Nonetheless, I think Doug played one season in the NBA with the Bullets. I don't remember what happened with Rob.

in response to VolGrad:

I guess I missed that one word, "next."

I do remember Roth. One thing not many people knew about him was that he had only one eye that worked! That hindered him greatly as a player; the marvel is that he did as well as he did. I think Jones played overseas for awhile. He and Damon Johnson were a lot alike; tough guys who could mix it up with anybody but too limited offensively and size-wise to play in the League.

Hoops43 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Jones is playing for the #1 ranked JC in the country(Northwest Florida State) and is tearing it up. Averaging 17 points, 5 assts and 3 steals per game. His minutes have been limited too since several of the games have been blowouts. His team has 6 guys averaging double-figures and are D1 players. Coached by Steve Forbes and Jason Shay.

in response to Hoops43:

Glad to hear he is doing well. However, I will be concerned about his future only if he goes to another SEC school eventually and comes back to haunt us on the court. I'm not sure how he and Martin would have gotten along anyway.