Janzen Jackson, Bryce Brown enter names for NFL draft

Their Tennessee careers never panned out as expected. Neither did their second chances.

That didn't stop Janzen Jackson and Bryce Brown from entering their names into consideration for the NFL draft. Jackson and Brown were among a record-setting 65 underclassmen to declare for the draft, which is set for April 26-28. The previous high was 56.

Jackson, a highly regarded safety who was dismissed from UT last August and transferred to McNeese State in his hometown of Lake Charles, La., played in seven games for the Cowboys in 2011. He switched over to cornerback, the position he is projected to play at the professional level, and picked up 23 tackles, two interceptions, four pass breakups and also forced a fumble.

A former five-star prospect, Jackson played in 23 games at UT, racking up 106 tackles and six interceptions as a legitimate stopper at the back end of the Vols' defense. Off-field issues, though, were a common problem and ultimately led to his dismissal.

Brown, projected in the preseason as an all-Big 12 first-team running back at Kansas State, left the team in September and recently withdrew from the school. He carried the ball just three times for 16 yards.

At UT, Brown ran for 460 yards and three touchdowns as a true freshman in 2009. He sat out the 2010 season after a messy divorce from Derek Dooley and the Vols.

According to NFLDraftScout.com, Brown is listed as the 24th-best running back and a potential seventh-round pick. Projections for Jackson's future are hard to find.

The Vols have not had a player leave early for the NFL draft since former safety Eric Berry did in 2009.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol_From_Memphis writes:

I, also, DECLARE for the NFL draft!!!

Please re-write the article to include me.

slb#1351874 writes:

Life is like abox of choclates so say's Forest Gump. Hope both these kids are lucky enough to find a choclate covered cherry this time since they messed up their opporunity for success the first time around. Misguided youth of today take notice and don't screw up a life time opporunity like these kids did because you may not be as fortunate.

HallowedHill writes:

BB is a man-sized baby. I don't see any team in the NFL wanting to touch him.

KCVol writes:

Jackson's future "hard to fine"... no pun intended?

Volfan615 writes:

Janzen can actually play, but Bryce Brown......hahahahahaha!! I literally lol when I saw his name on the headline. He is WAY TOO SOFT to be playing in the NFL.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Hope Adams is happy now!

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to HallowedHill:

BB is a man-sized baby. I don't see any team in the NFL wanting to touch him.

AtLannaVol writes:

three carries for 16 yards! That's more than 5 yards a carry! Too bad life ain't like high school huh BB? 1st team All Big 12--well preseason projected. Amazing.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to KCVol:

Jackson's future "hard to fine"... no pun intended?

I caught that too... Mr. Gribble's Freudian slip is showing.

dj54 writes:

perfect for the raiders

jenna1009001 writes:

Bryce Brown entering the draft is the best laugh I have had in a while...I can see a cover letter of his resume to an nlf team "Mister General manager if you want someone who really doesn't want to play, but would like the money of an nfl player I am your guy, you can even trade me after you pay me"

Hounddog writes:

Jackosn? Wasted talent. Brown? Wasted time. Hounddog

LJS1984 writes:

I'm not sure whether to laugh about this, or feel sorry for them?

Vol_in_GA writes:

It's just a matter of time before NuKeese unretires and throws his name into the mix, too.

I'm not sure who's advising these kids, but they need to pass that pipe my way...

clvolfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Maybe he and Berry can hook up with Kansas City next year.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Brown seemed like a good young man. Hope he is able to get it together.

bigsteve92 writes:

if jackson didnt have such a bad record he be drafted easily. but brown has done nothing but try to be spoil and get his way at either college. sorry if neither college let you have your way you think the nfl will. get luck getting drafted with out doing a dang thing in college

Dougb-VFL writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Latin lettuce,too funny! I could not agree more with either of your comments.Brown better hope that he got a diploma in school, he will need it. VFL

volcycle writes:

Wow...first glance at that title, I thought it said they are entering their names for the KFL draft. They probably would be successful at that level.

John_10065 writes:

"Brown is listed as the 24th-best running back and a potential seventh-round pick. Projections for Jackson's future are hard to find(sic)."

So we got a benchwarmer and a "please pick me!" entering the draft.

Big deal!

I just think about all the hand-wringing a few on these boards did when they left.

Well happy trails boys! Brown might have a minimal future if he can keep his head screwed on straight. I have to think that Jackson would be one of those sad tales parents tell their children at night to keep them on the straight and narrow.

bigdisbig writes:

I wonder what Bryce Brown's "handler" has to say about his NFL aspirations? Maybe his "diddy" will let him play?

DarthVol writes:

Somewhere in America Maurice Staley is smiling and he doesn't know why.

rtrchatt writes:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is playing Glory Days in the mind of Vol fans...

RaineyVol writes:

Bryce Brown can thank his crazy dad for effing up his career.

volzrock54 writes:

Bryce Brown entering the draft is like wiping before you poop. It just don't make sense..lol

imw8n4u writes:

If Brown is rated the 24th best back, where does Poole rank?

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

and Shen you are a bandwagon Bama fan

RashaadSalabeb writes:

If they can make it more power to them. Jackson can probably make it. Brown...I sort of doubt it. I guess the worthwhile news is getting sort of scarse these days. I'm ready to get some news on recruiting and coaching hires.

Go Big Orange!

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Are you new to town? you missed a good circus 2-3 years ago.

kantanuuv writes:

3 carries for 16 yards? That's a monster day for a Vole running back.

Vols17 writes:

Not a single NFL team will touch BB with a ten foot pole.

rockypop writes:

After reading the bulk of the comments here, it's apparent that at least for the folks who posted, there is an overwhelming sentiment that the hope is that these two young men will, and should, fail at the pro level. What's that all about? Had they stayed and succeeded at UT, the sentiment would have been completely different. Why can't UT fans hope for the best for these kids? Just because they didn't bring honor to UT doesn't mean they shouldn't have their shot.

Indian_Bill writes:

I heard Brown entered the draft via text message

VOLinMAHWAH writes:

in response to rockypop:

I honestly don't think anyone is hoping they fail. Just merely stating the facts. Jackson may have a chance since he actually played some, but Brown getting drafted with absolutely no body of work to show for himself is a long shot at best. No one will likely waste a draft pick on such an unproven talent with such a downside (i.e., attitude). We've had far more talented people who made monstrous contributions to the team who did not get drafted.

BigOrangeVol writes:

Travis Cozart just drafted Bryce Brown in the 1st Round on his Loudon County Jail NFL fantasy team saying that he is a can't-miss sleeper.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to Vols17:

Not a single NFL team will touch BB with a ten foot pole.

Not many college teams will touch BB with a twenty foot pole.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

yeah - and I was going to say "andforhisnexttune: Where the brain is already dead"

BSweet writes:

Someone will get a steal(as long as he stays clean) by taking JJ in the sixth or seventh round. He'll start slow in the league, but he'll be a solid player. BB will not be drafted. Someone might give him a FA try-out, but he'll be lucky to get that. I'm not sure he truly has the passion to play football.

SuckTheseVols98 writes:

in response to rockypop:

no, had they succeeded in anything besides crying and ripping bongs then MAYBE the sentiment would be different? no, wrong again you actually have to PLAY football at a high (not drug high) level to be in the NFL. I dont think either of these guys qualify as potential game breakers and if they do sign me up cause I think I could run for 16 yards at KSU!!!

Olcrow writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

daddy said only certain teams there is too much danger involved with others

RustyVol writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

That's really funny. I do remember TC and all his troubles so I guess it should be sad for both kids but its still funny.

FLVOL_79 writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Jackson should be able to play, Brown will be a bust. The guy couldn't perform at the college level and thinks he will in the Pro's? Thats along the same crazy thinking that people have about Teblow actually being a good QB in the NFL haha.

VOLliven2it writes:

This just in, "Bryce Brown strongly considering dropping out of the draft." But he is not yet sure just what he will do.
If a team takes a chance on him it will prove lack of intelligence on that team's part. JJ will likely get a chance and we sadly have an idea where that will end up. But who knows, both could wake up, move on and become contributors to that grand part of society known as the NFL.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

shouldn't that be "Mon"? LOL

BB in the NFL? Guess I'd better be looking out for those roosters in flip flops too.

Flyfisherman writes:

JJ maybe. BB?? I just spewed coffee on my screen....roflmao

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

Can anyone say "make it rain"....and Kiffin said who would be pumping gas? Give me 3 star with orange blood any day.Go Vols !

SummittsCourt writes:

Jackson I can see in the NFL, afterall, those guys don't take drugs very seriously anyway.

Brown in the NFL will never happen.

VOODOOley-2011 (Inactive) writes:

The NFL might consider a stiff "Entrance fee" for certain players that had little or limited college level experience.. say $25,000 per. I agree with several above, that Bryce Brown throwing his name in the hat is a total waste of everyone's time, and his chance of even walking on as a free-agent is even remote.

Janzen on the other hand, will make a roster, but probably as a late rounds pick, he has question marks as to just how focused he is on football vs his drug habit, and I would think most NFL teams are going to shy away from him.

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Brown in the NFL will never happen.

Ditto ! Jackson,if he can handle his personal issues should have a promising NFL career.Bryce is another story....I don't see that happening either, what a waste!

FanNotSheep writes:

Better hold off on these comments. You may end up feeling as foolish as I did when Tennessee beat Florida in a basketball game last week. Jackson could easily become one of the best in the NFL. He had skills as good as Berry but lacked maturity. He now has a shot and maybe he realizes his choice is to be a millionaire or a loser.

Brown could prove everyone wrong. I doubt he will but he has the physical ability and running backs who make a team can play their way to success. How many of you predicted Arian Foster would be the NFL's best running back? I don't see many hands.