John Palermo File

JOHN PALERMO FILE

Age: 59.

Born: March 26, 1952.

New Position: Tennessee defensive line coach.

Old Position: Middle Tennessee State defensive line coach.

By The Numbers: In his 14 seasons at Wisconsin, Palermo coached four first-team All-Americans and eight players who were eventually selected in the NFL draft. With the Washington Redskins in 2008-09, he helped guide the defense to rankings of eighth and 10th, respectively, in total defense. In 2010 with the Blue Raiders, Palermo's defensive line combined for 22.5 sacks, 51.0 tackles for loss.

Coaching Career: Bainbridge (Ga.) High School (1974-76), various positions; North Carolina State (1977-78), assistant; Austin Peay (1979), defensive line; Memphis State (1980-82), defensive line; Appalachian State (1983-84), assistant head coach/defensive line/linebackers; Minnesota (1984-87), defensive line; Notre Dame (1988-89), defensive line; Austin Peay (1990), head coach; Wisconsin (1991-2005), assistant head coach/outside linebackers/defensive line; Miami (Fla.) (2006), defensive line; Tennessee Tech (2007), defensive coordinator/linebackers; Washington Redskins (2008-09), defensive line; Middle Tennessee State (2010-11), defensive line.

Playing career: Lettered at Florida State in 1972-73.

Family: Wife, Donna, and two children, Jason and Jessica.

SmokeyFTW writes:

Cant wait to see what he brings to the table

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

Okay! He doesn't seem like a show stopper.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

If he's tough and hard nosed and no nonsense, then he's what UT needs.

SpiralBound writes:

It seems like a great hire, to me. MTSU's defensive line held up well for four quarters against our mostly sophomore offensive line. And, while I wouldn't necessarily call our personnel "optimal", they DO have lots of potential.

Hopefully Coach Palermo can add a couple more draft picks and All-Americans to his stat sheet.

BIGORANGEDOG writes:

Seems to move around a lot. Hopefully he settles in and fits with the big picture. One year here and one year there signals either less than stellar performance, hard to work with or money issues.I am optimistic and hopeul for our players. They need some stability and positive direction fast. GBO VFL

tanasi2 writes:

This is NOT a great hire. The real "great hire" will happen when Dave Hart fires Dooley and brings a real coach to U.T. Even with the easy 2012 schedule, the vols will do no better than 6-6 next season. I am glad that Dooley seems to have shut up all the Fulmer haters out there! Go Vols!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to tanasi2:

So you put us down around 95 in the country. Six wins with this schedule would put us at that level. I see an easy 8 win season or better. The NC State game will give a good clue as to the direction. I think Dooley goes on another year.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

First of all the players have to want to rise above the defeats and climb out of the ruts.They gotta reach around grab the seat of their pants and pull themselves up no coach can do that for them they have to do it individually.It's called being men!.I know very little about Coach Palermo but I think he can coach boys into men, and then men can compete on a higher level.I think a lot of coaches can use that kind of advice themselves,instead of just following the glamor of the position.Coach Palermo has his work cut out for him no doubt, but if the players want bad enough I think he just could be the one to teach them.Players how thirsty are you thats the question.Give em hell VOLS!!!

volforeverandever writes:

in response to tanasi2:

This is a very good hire.Quit dreaming,Dooley isn`t going anywhere.The depth is improving our talent is better and our new staff is an upgrade.Our new class is looking good and addressing many needs.We will be better.I will support whoever is coach because I love Tennessee.

Disgruntled_the_Elf writes:

Okay...is it just me or does this guy bounce around like a super ball??

BankerVol writes:

in response to tanasi2:

Another negative IDIOT. Good lord where do they all come from

SmokeyFTW writes:

I want to see what he's going to do with big Daniel McCullers. The dude is a monster. With him coaching the line and Sal coaching up our LB's we should be in good shape. GBO!!!

KFDLaw writes:

This guy has seen a lot of football. Maybe he can teach them how to help the running backs establish a running game.

DannyVol writes:

Quit your crying, people. If UT football gives you this much grief, then find something else to do. The Chicago Cubs used to be my favorite baseball team and in 1999 were leading the Central by almost 20 games at the all-star break. By the time football season rolled around, they were eliminated from postseason play. On that very day, I piled my Cubs gear in a big pile and watched it burn. Too many years of grief. If UT football does that to you, then do the same - walk away. But believe me, they have offered more pleasure to their fans in the last 20 years than grief. You people don't even know what futility feels like. Even with the lean years latetly, UT is near the top-10 in all-time winning programs and bowl appearances/wins. Some of you act like we are Ole Miss.

TNFaninFL writes:

in response to tanasi2:

You probably hate your Mother too... another recruiting class and some new coaches may shake things up a bit. Offensive line HAS to get better, coaching upgrade there probably. DC from the best college defense the last 3 years, can't hurt ! A Running Backs coach, maybe can coach how to accelerate thru holes, just need a Special Teams coach who will put the right place kicker and punter on the field. Dooley isn't going anywhere for at least 2 years, coaching turnover is what got us the hole that we are in, Hart is smart enough to figure that out. Plus the schedule isn't brutal like last year.

VolHunter writes:

At this point I can't hate on Dooley or the staff he is putting into place because we have gone from 10 -> 21st after losing all the coaches. Now after hires, we have gone from 21 -> 19 -> 14 -> (as of today) 11th!! I mean we are only getting beat (SEC teams) by Bama(1), Florida(4), and Texas A&M(10).

I'm sure thoough that someone will hate on us not being #1. But hell we lost several coaches, have a head coach that could be on the way out soon, and didn't even go to a bowl game last year....and we are STILL about to crack the top 10 in recruiting. THAT is who UT is!

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to BankerVol:

Another negative IDIOT. Good lord where do they all come from

Alabama, Florida, & Vandy

StuAberdeeneFan writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

If he's tough and hard nosed and no nonsense, then he's what UT needs.

He's exactly that; tough, hard nosed, and absolutely no nonsense. His strongest asset is being a professional at what he does; Defensive Line Coach. This is a huge hire for the Vols at that position! Good luck Coach Palermo. We are behind you 100%.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to BankerVol:

Another negative IDIOT. Good lord where do they all come from

Paid and un-paid Trolls are a source. From the cubicle, or from their Mom's house in florida and bama. Then we have the University of Phil fans. The losers who claim to be Tennessee fans, yet trash everything UT because their savior was canned. Then we have the Posers who didn't agree with the Dooley hire, and since they didn't get THEIR way, they whine and cry and trash UT while claiming to be "real" fans. Berating UT during recruiting so Dooley will look bad.

It's a crying shame what this fanbase has become. I think some of it is the juvenile part of the base that doesn't understand what REBUILDING means. Also, the unjustified belief that we should win "because" we're UT. Without having to put in the work to rebuild a program that is suffering from changing a 16 year regime.

I understand the Trolls bashing UT. Don't get me wrong, I do not understand "Trolling" itself, I think the folks that engage in this act are TOTAL rejects, BUT, at least we know they aren't fans. The ones that really boil my beans are the ones that CLAIM to be UT fans, but sit around and PRETEND they know more about what and who UT needs, than the UTAD. These are the people that talk like they know the game, yet don't understand that we're rebuilding, and exactly what that entails. FAIR WEATHER FANS/POSERS! The WORST kind.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to DannyVol:

Great Post! I love Tennesse football, but it's not the most important thing in my life!

Noogaorange writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Pow...you hit the nail on the head!!!
Great post. GBO