Police arrest Alabama man in post-BCS video

NEW ORLEANS — An Alabama man was arrested late Wednesday in connection with a video appearing to show someone in a University of Alabama jacket abusing an unconscious Louisiana State University fan after Alabama beat LSU for the BCS football championship.

Brian Downing, 32, of Smiths Station, Ala., was booked on charges of sexual battery and obscenity. He was videotaped Jan. 9 "placing his genitals on an LSU fan's face. The LSU fan appears to be heavily inebriated and practically unconscious," a police statement said.

That videotape, the last minute of which shows a man in a red Alabama jacket simulating a sex act, went viral on the Internet.

Police said sex crimes detectives met Downing at his attorney's office in New Orleans, where officers arrested him. Downing looked at the ground as officers escorted him in handcuffs into the jail. Neither he nor the officers answered questions.

Downing's actions were videotaped about 11:45 p.m. Jan. 9, at a restaurant on Bourbon Street, police said.

They said LSU and Alabama University campus police helped them collect information and evidence needed to get a warrant for Downing's arrest.

Downing is a second cousin of Russell County, Ala., Sheriff Heath Taylor, who earlier Thursday had said Downing was on his way from Alabama to New Orleans to surrender.

Taylor told The Associated Press that he learned from other family members Thursday morning that Downing had been identified as the man shown exposing himself and then simulating a sex act above the head of an apparently unconscious man in an LSU-purple shirt. Taylor said he had not seen the video or asked Downing about the case.

After hearing from his relatives, Taylor said, he called Downing's dad and told him to bring him to the sheriff's office in Phenix City, Ala. He said he then called New Orleans police to ask whether they wanted him to jail and extradite Downing or send him to New Orleans to surrender. "New Orleans made that call," he said.

Taylor said he did not speak to Downing. "I gave his attorney the card with the detective's name on it and cell number."

The relationship was first reported by the Ledger-Enquirer of Columbus, Ga., which is about nine miles east-northeast from Phenix City.

Scott Myers, a spokesman for Birmingham, Ala.-based Hibbett Sports Inc., confirmed Thursday that the company fired Downing on Wednesday because of his part in the video.

He said the company had been aware of the tape but did not identify the person on it until Wednesday. He refused to say what the man did for Hibbett or how the company became aware of his alleged involvement. Hibbett Sports lists about 800 stores in 26 states.

"We were made aware of this situation late yesterday afternoon. We conducted our own investigation, and after the investigation was concluded, we made the determination to terminate his employment," Myers said.

Taylor said that when he heard the allegation, he had no choice but to arrest Downing or send him to New Orleans. "I wasn't going to let anybody say that because he's my family I wasn't doing anything about it."

It wasn't a hard decision, he said. "You've just got to do the right thing."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

FLVOL_79 writes:

32? Mature Adult Fail. Probably works at THE Piggly Wiggly, home of the finest brew you can find in Bammerland - Natural Ice, Natural Light, Icehouse, Bud Ice, Schlitz, PBR, Steel Reserve, etc..

thevoice writes:

My, my. How "low we've stooped."

FLVOL_79 writes:

in response to thevoice:

My, my. How "low we've stooped."

This is an example of someone taking entries in the urban dictionary as being literal and acting on them.

mtthw741 writes:

I understand that SEC fans are passionate and bad things happen everywhere. However I've been to a game in Tuscaloosa and those people are the worst! Classless wastes of humanity!

murrayvol writes:

The Tide now has a speaker for the football banquet.

crimsonviper writes:

My dear ole departed Dad gave me some good advice when I was young.
I quote,If you are determined to drink please do this for me.
Before you pull a gun or knife,get behind the wheel or engage in an act that requires you to unzip your pants,,,STOP,,and think about the consequences.
I'll bet that old boy wishes he could have a do-over about now.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

What was disturbing about this along with this disgusting act was how everyone seemed to be laughing. Did anyone call a Police officer? I heard there were two NOLA officers just outside of the Krystal. Why didn't anyone run outside and get the Police instead of laughing like the idiotic cretin mentality fans that they are?

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Good God...whatever happened to drawing a mustache on somebody's face when they pass out? Stupid and immature? Yep. Absolutely. But at least you won't be required by law to register as a sex offender after a video of the act hits YouTube.

Somewhere in a 1970's conversion van, parked by a small meandering river outside of Alabaster, Alabama...Harvey Updike is thinking, "Ya see, I ain't that bad after all."

crimsonviper writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

Wait just a minute...I have an uncle who lives in Alabaster Al. Hey..he has a conversion 75 chevy van..
Nevermind,I've gotta go.Someone is knockin'.

CrankE writes:

Yea Alabama! When they lose we get Harvey Updike. When they win, we get Brian Downing.

ut_vols_fan writes:

What gets me (other than the details of this act) is that people continue to do dumb things, get dumber by recording said dumb act on video, and then get even dumber by putting said dumb video of said dumb act on Facebook/YouTube/etc. Have we not learned yet that these things eventually come back to haunt you someday?

CrankE writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

Yup. I heard discussion about this yesterday on Finebaum before I had heard the story. This lady was calling in talking about how she could see it from a distance, how it went on for a long time, yada, yada, yada. But never a word about what action she took (because she took none).

I will gladly tip my hat to the Alabama fan who punched Downing out on the spot for that display. Oh wait, there was no such fan. And to me, that speaks at least as loud as Downing's actions. If nobody discouraged that behavior, then that behavior is encouraged.

BR_549 writes:

Be careful what you say here, he soon might be on the UT coaching staff as the new special teams coach.

Razor784 writes:

It's an Alabama fan he probably thought it was a relative

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to mtthw741:

Totally agree!

The Bammer Morons have no class and are the lowest form of humanity!

Wonder if this Bammer idiot will get a cell next to the tree killer?

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

The Tide now has a speaker for the football banquet.

TOO FUNNY!!

murrayvol writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

My dear ole departed Dad gave me some good advice when I was young.
I quote,If you are determined to drink please do this for me.
I'll bet that old boy wishes he could have a do-over about now.

Good advice.

pdowned writes:

in response to FLVOL_79:

If you actually seek information from other than KNS, you will find it. First - he was a manager at Hibbets Sports. Second - his dad is the sports director for one of the Birmingham local news channels. Third - it was only technically a "restaurant". It was actually Krystal :)

rtrchatt writes:

in response to Central_IL_Vol:

Totally agree!

The Bammer Morons have no class and are the lowest form of humanity!

Wonder if this Bammer idiot will get a cell next to the tree killer?

So did you call out the entire Marine Corps for the few caught pi.... on the dead Afghanistans??

You Vol fans are certainly the moral yard stick for all in the SE.... no need calling you a loser or idiot.

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

Bama, number 1 in SEC and National Championships, 32 Ten win seasons, 11 undefeated seasons of at least 10 games, and most bowl wins. FACTS

1vavolfan writes:

I thought all Alabama fans were homophobes, guess not.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

He specifically called out "The Bammer Morons." I assume that that is not redundant and that there are Bammers that do not belong to the family/club of "Morons." There are even Vol morons as evidence by a few that post here ad infinitum, although their fandom of the Vols is routinely questioned.

But I get your point. Casting aspersions is not necessary.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

I heard many of the Bammers in the Krystal just stood there like the slack jawed yokels they are and laughed moronically!

VolnPickwick writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

Has nothing to do with football, just the character (or lack there of) of your fan base. As far as the Marine's are concerned, they have been defending our country.

abnermc writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

I've been to several games at Tuscaloosa & have never been mistreated so I had a pretty positive impression of Bama fans until I found you on this site over & over. You continue to lower any standard of opinion of bama fans w/ your remarks. Yes we all know how many championships you claim ( some of which were the result of a losing season) but we also know much of the cheating that has taken place @ Alabama beginning w/ Bryant.Many of the rules of football today are changes required because of the skirting of the rules by Bama. And please do not compare a drunken bama fan w/ any of our service men.
BTW, UT could boast about being the only team to go a season undefeated, untied, & UN-SCORED on but you don't see it repeated by anyone here on a daily basis.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

Central_IL_Vol didn,t call anyone out just said the obvious.I didn,t think it could get any worse than the tree killing but I guess I was wrong.I believe the facts are that the two worst actions by stupid fans in the last few years were from Alabama.I didn`t read where the post said Alabama couldn`t play football,just said the fans in question were Alabama Morons.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

It is an historical fact that the Bammer Moron Nation has zero class! You prove that by coming in here and bloviating about how great Bammer is. You did it twice within several hours after the Crimson TURD beat LSU. You gave a shout out to the 2008 class in one and announced the SI special edition in the other. Did you really think anyone here gave a rat's A#S that Bammer won? Why are you not on the Bammer Moron sites running your mouth?

The answer is simple, you and the other Bammer Morons are birds of a feather; all the same! You want to toot your horn and do it as trolls on opponent's sites. If you had any class, you would leave here and never return.

There is Harvey Updyke, Brian Downing and you proving my point about the total lack of class and sportsmanship of the Bammer Moron Nation.
Lest we forget another Bammer Moron several years ago who shot and killed a man and his wife (LSU fans) after ther Crimson TURD lost to LSU:

Hey Moron, if the shoe fits? You and your MORON bretheren are dangerous when you lose and when you win. I think it is time your great Nicky Satan step in and control the fans.

BAMMER FANS ARE CLASSLESS MORONS WHO'S LIVES REVOLVE AROUND FOOTBALL SO MUCH THAT NOTHING ELSE MATTERS; NOT EVEN DECENCY AND HUMAN LIFE!

I can't wait to hear your "lack of intelligent" explanation!

volfaninutah writes:

Good, maybe while he's in the pokey, Bruno, or Rock will be wiping their genitals across his face , after he's been knocked out on the cellblock floor. 32 yrs old!!!!! I guess your a kid forever in Bammer country. What goes around comes around.

flatrock writes:

Heard it was Clay (Springer) Travis...

senracjr writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

That's good .... keep running your mouth and showing how stupid you Bammmers are!

formerflgranny writes:

My, My, Now we all know bama is a four letter word.

Olcrow writes:

Probably couldn't find a hooker

UT2006 writes:

where are all of his friends? I didnt see one other LSU person there... if you are going to get that drunk you need to have someone around to have your back

tenuscvol writes:

in response to Central_IL_Vol:

I can't wait to hear your "lack of intelligent" explanation!

Beautiful!......rtfchump is a typical bama redneck who must esteem himself on the highly exaggerated success of a bunch of kids....I live in Alabama and know first hand they will spend more time and money on bama phooey then textbooks because it's all they have...It is actually very sad but very true......GoVols!

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

I imagine going to jail is a bit of a buzz kill after a rousing verse of 'we just beat the h**l out of you!'

To this day I find it suprising that a school in the south would persist with that kind of loutishness...rather seems like a New Jersey kinda thing.

bamaman420 writes:

in response to Central_IL_Vol:

I can't wait to hear your "lack of intelligent" explanation!

You "bloviate" about a lack of class while showing the level of yours... I would think using some of the terms you use regularly in this post would be considered "a pot calling a kettle black."
I am ashamed of the actions of a few "fellow" Bama fans. I have been a lifelong member of the "nation," and consider myself to be on the verge of fanatical, but i would never stoop so low as some.
I have been known to yell and scream at a TV, much like other football fans. I have had whole weeks ruined by the outcome of football games, much like other football fans. I have given and recieved good natured ribbing over football games, much like other football fans. But i have never seen the kind of hatred spewed like the kind i have seen from ut fans toward ALL of Alabama. I have lived in Knoxville my entire life, and have developed a thick skin when it comes to football, especially around the third Saturday in October. But I am sick and tired of being grouped in with a bunch of low life losers just because they wear the same colors as me. I could very easily group all ut fans together and consider them all the same as the couple that kept being shown during the SECCG b/w ut and lsu a few years ago, or as the backwoods family depicted on the ESPN commercial that raised everybodys dander around here a while back, but I know that is sterotyping. I know a LOT of ut fans, and for the most part, they're all good people.
All I'm asking is that you put that broad brush away... Knoxville is actually cultured and "classy" enough that is has several art stores around that sell smaller ones. you should check one of them out. Roll Tide!!

Theo writes:

in response to CrankE:

Weird as it seems. If just one or two people saw it they probably would have acted to stop it. But, when a crowd is involved everyone things someone else will stop it. Sad but true.

Theo writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

My dear ole departed Dad gave me some good advice when I was young.
I quote,If you are determined to drink please do this for me.
I'll bet that old boy wishes he could have a do-over about now.

That is excellent. I will commit this to memory for appropriate instances.
I will also pass along one of my Dad's favorites. He was a pretty good business man and he said If someone starts talking religion when you are talking business keep your hand on you wallet. I have found this to be true as well.

Theo writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

Yea, but don't you see a pattern emerging here?
I think the Bamma nation is getting a little big for their britches. Looking forward to the fall.

CCLC writes:

in response to Theo:

"What would you do if you saw someone in trouble? Would you rush in to help, or would you assume that someone else would likely come to the person's aid? While we like to think that we would leap to action, research has found the people are less likely to take action in these instances when there are a lot of other people present.

So why do witnesses of crimes or emergencies sometimes fail to contact authorities or intervene? Social scientists often use the term 'bystander effect' to explain this lack of action. This topic is mentioned in nearly every introductory psychology textbook and is usually accompanied by the story of Kitty Genovese. This young woman's 1964 murder was highly publicized, partly because the original reports suggested that 38 people witnessed the crime yet did nothing to help the woman or contact police. In 2007, an article appeared in American Psychologist suggesting that the story has been largely misrepresented due to inaccuracies in the original story."

so pass out when surrounded by a bunch of bammer fans! Wonder where his(LSU fan) friends went? I'm sure they must have had to carry him inside the Krystal--cause he sure as heck wasn't able to walk. Where was the mgt for Krystal? When the attorneys get involved that LSU fan will make some serious change.
just sayin'

mtthw741 writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

Great analogy moron! comparing people protecting our country to a bunch of drunk idiots who think they are awesome because a school they never attended won a championship. P.S. look up the word sarcasm.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

Why is everyone shocked that a bama fan would do this? It's typical bama behavior.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Yes this guy is a moron at best, but enough of the name calling generalalities.

I heard the Marines involved were Bama fans too.

mtthw741 writes:

in response to chuckfromwoodberry:

Ha Ha! You right thats how Alabama fans greet each other. Its called a "bama handshake"