UConn sporting Pat Summitt T-shirts

HARTFORD, Conn. - Connecticut basketball fans can buy T-shirts showing their support for Tennessee women's coach Pat Summitt as she faces early onset dementia.

The shirts, which include the Husky logo and read in part "I bleed Blue and White, but a wear purple to Back Pat," also will be worn by the men's basketball players as they warm up before their game at Tennessee on Saturday.

Purple is the signature color of Alzheimer's charities.

Tennessee fans are also being encouraged to wear "We Back Pat" T-shirts to the game as part of "We Back Pat" week at the school.

A portion of the proceeds from the shirts will be donated to programs supporting people with dementia and Alzheimer's in Tennessee.

The special UConn T-shirts are available at the school's website, www.uconnhuskies.com

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

murrayvol writes:

Hat's off to UConn.

Theo writes:

Nice gesture. I don't see this as patronizing, I see it as recognizing there are things bigger than sports and rivalries and defeating alzheimers is one of them.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

No that's your brain not your glass.

You have nothing of value to say. I've read your posts before and here's a clue - when dozens of people criticize your posts it's not them - it's you being the jerk.

SouthALVol writes:

How can you be cynical about this? UConn certainly is under no obligation. What this says to me is they recognize how special and important Coach Summitt has been and continues to be regarding college athletics. Geno Auriemma is Summitt's Steve Spurrier-nothing more.

jopad writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Can't believe anyone with half a brain would write this post (maybe I can because someone just did). UT fans want to beat UConn teams but should appreciate their gesture in support of Pat and her effort to defeat the terrible disease. For your information JB, not every person who supports another team has a bad motive for supporting Pat Summitt's fight against dementia. My mother died with Alzeimers and I for one appreciate any people who support looking for a cure. Take your trash somewhere else.

murrayvol writes:

in response to jopad:

My guess is he has no place to go.

Millisa writes:

It is a nice gesture and I agree with SouthAlVol

Theo writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

I'm sorry. That must be hard. I hope you find a way to on occassion see it half full:)
Good Luck.

ps11824 writes:

Sad but true the fact that some people know not the meaning of respect. Anyone who would post comments such as the JBVols1698 acrimonious diatribe proves that.

Mike_In_Storrs_CT writes:

Real class act JBVols..

oskie_score writes:

Awareness and support. Tremendous gesture by UConn. Well done.

BigBadVol writes:

As bad as I ldespise UConn, classy move.

The entire world of college sports knows what a towering figure Pat Summitt is. Not many people in any walk of life would be as upfront about her condition as Pat has been. Those two things together should inspire the respect of anybody, sports rivalries aside. Classy gesture by all the Huskies and their fans. We can only guess how SOME Vol fans would behave if Geno, for example, should be so afflicted even though he, too, is one of the great names in the coaching profession. I would surely hope we would do the same for him.

Wayfarer writes:

Classy move by UConn's programs. Several teams have supported Pat this season by wearing similar t-shirt.

eprahm (Inactive) writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

We ALL have our bad days. Sometimes we say things we wish we wouldn't of said.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to eprahm:

We ALL have our bad days. Sometimes we say things we wish we wouldn't of said.

But this kid has been showing his nescience posting all over the KNS site tonight. Were he more aware of how silly he was being, surely he would have relented.

Volinflan writes:

Good to hear from Ole Mike in Conn. The Volunteer Land appreciates the We Back Pat support from the Huskies. I hope the next time we have a lot to banter back and forth on the web sites will be because UCONN and TENN will be playing each other in Denver. There are so many good teams right now that the rest of the season is going to be great, no matter who wins. Baylor, Stanford, UConn, Tenn, Kentucky, Duke, Notre Dame, Rutgers and To Be Named Later are all really great teams. Each, though, has a mountain of good teams to beat before getting to Denver and that's why I said I hope to be watching us and UConn playing. There will be no losers in Denver. Well, maybe Baylor could feel that way if they don't win.

Volinflan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

We will! We know he's one of the greatest.

Volinflan writes:

Back on the subject of recruiting, scholarships and pontification, several persons have mentioned (asked) why the lady Vols don't have/should have a full group of scholarship players. After counting on ten fingers (well I cut one off with a lawnmower so nine fingers and five toes) come up with fourteen players. Except, after all the recruiting was over, Avant and Cain decided to leave, and just before the season's games started Brewer left.

I think that fifteenth scholarship was reserved for Elizabeth W. She did the surprise announcement on Nov 10th which I'm sure was a lot of fun for her but hell on the recruiting staffs which didn't know which way she would go. I mean, you just have to have a scholarship available, but if she chooses Duke it's way to late to sign another top quality player because they have all decided to go elsewhere since you didn't come offering.

I think it's sign of quality of the Tennessee Staff that they don't offer scholarships to players that're gonna be bench warmers. Can you tell a player that "if E. Williams doesn't sign with us you can have a scholarship"? So then the other school can tell the other school can tell the other school can tell the other school (no typo) and at the end of the list some kid missed out on the chance to go to college on scholarship.

While the decision making and announcing is a wonderful part of the process of college recruiting the stress put on the staff's is phenominal. It's true with football staffs also but in basketball when a school only has three or four "offers" they can make, to be "hung out there" must sometimes be crippling.

So thats my thesis about what happened to the other scholarships and why we have eleven players, 3 of which are either completely or partially broken, playing for our favorite team. With the full group of fourteen (especially with 15 including EW) we'd be one of the 17-0 teams.

SoddyVol writes:

If you haven't seen it and interested, RealTimeRPI.com has ND winning by 21 points over the Vols.

madrigal writes:

Will wonders never cease? UConn shows some class for once.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

So...let me get this straight, JB. When Carson-Newman became the first to express support for Coach Pat, we thought it was class. Now, since it's UConn, we doubt the sincerity?

That's cold.

...and unnecessary.

I'm sure thankful we all don't feel that way.