Harry Hiestand officially announced as Notre Dame offensive line coach

Notre Dame has hired Harry Hiestand to coach its offensive line and coordinate the running game.

Hiestand spent the last two seasons at Tennessee, and he replaces Ed Warinner, who departed to join new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer's staff after the season.

Coach Brian Kelly announced the move Wednesday.

"Harry is one of the best offensive line coaches in college football, and we are fortunate to have him on our staff," Kelly said in a school release. "When I was searching to fill this position, I asked some of the most respected offensive line coaches in football whom they would recommend and Harry's name was routinely mentioned as one of the best. His history of developing NFL-caliber offensive linemen speaks for itself, and I know our linemen will learn a lot from him."

Hiestand spent the past two years at Tennessee after working with the offensive line for the Chicago Bears from 2005-09. He also coached the offensive line at Illinois (1997-2004) and at Missouri from (1994-96). He is a former offensive coordinator at Cincinnati.

"I've been on the one side in the college game when I've prepared players to reach their dream of making it to the NFL. I know what it takes to help guys get to that point and what the players are looking for from me in their coaching," Hiestand said in a school release. "I have also been on the other side in the NFL and had conversations with college scouts and the general managers about what they are looking for in college players. Having been on both sides of the fence will make me a better college coach at Notre Dame."

PHAT_VOL writes:

I hope Harry does a BETTER job.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Hope he has some success up there. (Some.) :)

thevoice writes:

Running game coordinator? Right.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to slaw_way:

He wasn't the problem. Dooley & Chaney were!

Orange_Power_T writes:

There were never any holes created for the running game and Poole sure couldn't get any on his own. Maybe Notre Dame's ground attack just came to a screaching halt. I hope our new coach has some answers.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

Coordinate the running game? Really? Have to keep an eye on ND's rush stats.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Depth.

FearlessFreep writes:

Sure wish Tennessee was playing Notre Dame in the next couple of years. Defensing their running game wouldn't be a problem at all.

Heistand failed in Chicago (ask the Bears fans), he failed at UT and I suspect he'll have subpar results at Notre Dame.

hikerdude writes:

Why was the running game so much more effective when Sims was qb if Hiestand was the problem?

oldster writes:

He will do better there than here because the intelligence of the athlete there is, generally, and on the average, higher.

rtrchatt writes:

You guys write more stories about ex players/coaches than anybody on the web. Get over yourselves. No one outside Knoxv even notices or much less cares. I guess it just falls right in with all the negative on the hill.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

It starts at the top, and that man is Dooley for allowing Chaney to want a pass-happy offense, then tell Heistand to ONLY practice pass blocking. Notice how good we were at pass blocking and giving up very few sacks? Credit goes to Heistand for doing his job extremely well for what he was told to do.

Notre Dame and Ohio State wouldn't have been trying to hire him if he wasn't any good. Their coaches could see that Dooley & Chaney were the weak links at Tennessee, not Heistand!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Read your profile and previous comments. Please don't use the words "WE or US" when you spoout out your constant slander of "OUR" football program.
GBO VFL

easleychuck writes:

ND obviously has no immediate or future plans to mount a running attack with ole Harry in charge of the OL.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to oldster:

LOL

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

He was great at coaching the linemen to form a strong pocket. The problem is the seemed to be forming a pocket during the running plays too. I don't think I saw any blocking down field penalties all year.

Good luck coach!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

GBO VFL

Sorry to disappoint you but there are knowledgeable fans of UT who don't have to drink the Dool-Aid to be considered a fan.

Better yet, keep you head stuck in the sand and you want have to read the truth.

jamgod writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

He wasn't the problem. Dooley & Chaney were!

Check it out!!! Somebody that doesn't have a clue about what there talking about...WOW! didn't expect to see that on here(lol)! Chaney did get a bit nerve racking at times last year but I think that had to do more with the pathetic Oline coaching than anything else. Watch and see if ND's off line goes to phooey next year!.....PHOOOEY???? That's not what I said...

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

He wasn't the problem. Dooley & Chaney were!

Ask Matt Forte if he wants him back in Chicago.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

Harry Hiestand looks like my pee paw!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

That would be the truth according to whom? A --NEVER PLAYED A DOWN--TROLL, Who obviously has an identity problem..Ready to change that name again..I mean, it's been since last SEPT. GBO VFL

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Then WHY are you on here if no one outside of Knoxville even notices.

Have you been to see the crystal football with your Bammer, tea party fan, tree-killing, toothless, inbred, mullett-sporting brethern at the local Walmart?

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to Central_IL_Vol:

Then WHY are you on here if no one outside of Knoxville even notices.

I did not write "tea party fan"; since when is tea b@gger banned?

gc_scvol writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Oh, by the way, that would be "WON'T have to"

Dalton writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

I see what you did!!! OMG Dooley kinda sounds like Koolaid..and us'n Vol fans who want to support the program until the coach shows he has no handle of said program are like the victims of Jonestown who drank a poison version...laughing so hard while I type...grateful for spell check..where was this sharp witty revolutionary style of writing when I needed a laugh around Christmas?...Don't you ever change Pisscan!!!

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

GBO VFL

I agree. The negateers or Legion of the Miserable or reds are faux-fans who confuse their negative coments as information others want. Not so.

From all indications, the staff wanted a change and Heistand was out. Assistance coaches are a dime a dozen and Heistand was a nickle.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Dalton:

Looks like I'm not the only one who can spot a little troll BI**h.

FLVOL_79 writes:

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

If assistant coaches are a dime a dozen then that would make them worth less than a penny. So, if Heistand was a nickle then he would be worth more than the other assistants. Is that what you meant?
Ah nevermind, I know what you meant. I do find it strange that assistant coaches bounce around so much. We got MTSU's line coach for goodness sake who's line performed horribly last year. The saying that comes to mind for me is: One man's trash is another man's treasure.

volinlouisvilleky writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Are you outside of Knoxville? You noticed...tool!

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

Off the subject here, but I just read another "partial" article on 247 about Justin King being excited about Sunseri. Is anyone else wondering why we are even considering playing him on defense? Yes - he played some OLB/CB, but he is the ranked 101st player in the country as a dual threat QB (6-3 215lb). He also played wide receiver in HS. Why not keep him on the offensive side of the ball? I know that Dooley and every other coach in the nation are starting to notice the effectiveness of a dual threat QB. Maybe we are planning on playing Bray and Peterman as a pro style and bring in King his senior year to win the national championship? Sound familiar?

wagee12 writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

He wasn't the problem. Dooley & Chaney were!

And U are a poster boy example of what's wrong with a minority of the Tennessee fan base. Run that mouth with no facts whatsoever to back it up.

tovolny writes:

It is hard for healthy plants to grow when placed in poor soil and not watered or fertilized. Transplanting to proven grounds will often make a stressed plant flourish.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

"Harry is one of the best offensive line coaches in college football, and we are fortunate to have him on our staff,' Kelly said in a school release. 'When I was searching to fill this position, I asked some of the most respected offensive line coaches in football whom they would recommend and Harry's name was routinely mentioned as one of the best. His history of developing NFL-caliber offensive linemen speaks for itself, and I know our linemen will learn a lot from him.'"

Funny. That's almost word for word what Dooley said about our new D Line coach...from MTSU. Maybe...just maybe...these coaches are just telling you koolaide drinkers what you want to hear.

SevenT writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

He wasn't the problem. Dooley & Chaney were!

Exactly! Double D is the worst coach in the history of Tennessee Football.

VOLliven2it writes:

"It's just real nice surprise Clark, just a REEEL nice surprise."(cousin Eddie to Clark Griswold) I guess many of us are feeling that with Hiestand gone. Life and the Volunteer football program do go on.

Dalton writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Looks like I'm not the only one who can spot a little troll BI**h.

They're getting easier and easier to spot...whenever their helpful suggestions involve giving up and taking up chess and/or words with friends...my eyes narrow and I grow wary...Tennessee is great and will be back...real fans know this..."realists" are trolls with a thesaurus!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

When you get turned down by everybody you end up with a burned out MTSU coach who's defensive line was the worst in the entire nation, then was told to hit the road by MTSU's head coach.

We just need to be patient. Not a whole lot longer until December 2012, when Dooley will be fired.

VolzsFan writes:

Only so much Harry could do here with the head coach he was under, the poor recruiting of DD and LK and the running off of 44 players by the LK reign of terror.

lahvolman2 writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

looks like you care......

Olcrow writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Harry Hiestand looks like my pee paw!

Dude I don't know what that is and I sure don't want to see it

Dalton writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Just promise me that you won't hurt yourself or your Star Wars action figures if that doesn't come to pass.

Dwinsgames writes:

Hindtit tried to make a right handed center out of a left handed guard. when that faild, he moved a guard with no prior experience to center. He had two men on the bench that would have obiviously been just as effective because thats what they are, centers. Now why didn"t we ever see them given a chance or hear their names mentioned. If they are not in the picture next year then we will know the answere and that is,Dooley made another stupid recruiting mistake but somehow I do not see that happening. Hindtit saw the world through dark colored glasses.

Dalton writes:

in response to slaw_way:

You can tell by the way Bray locks in on receivers that his OC knows his herbs!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Dalton:

Remember Hart's words to Dooley: UNACCEPTABLE!

May the force be with us! ROFLMAO

Dalton writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Remember Hart's words to Dooley: UNACCEPTABLE!

May the force be with us! ROFLMAO

Clever...I'll give you that

givehim6 writes:

Off topic. Did not I read that Chaney was going to put double duty this year as OC and receiver coach? I was looking at UT's coaching list noticed there was no official WR coach. With all the changes in slipped my attention

Dalton writes:

in response to slaw_way:

I'm still optimistic on Chaney's playcalling...he's done well before...I'm just paranoid about tunnel vision since the Randy Sanders experiment

jenna1009001 writes:

There goes ND running game.

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Hey Elephant Ears...why don't you just stay the HEIL off of this site...AND GET OVER YOURSELF.