Brian Pensky named Lady Vols soccer coach

Spent past 7 seasons at Maryland

Brian Pensky, new UT women's soccer coach

Brian Pensky, new UT women's soccer coach

Age: 43.

Born: Dec. 15, 1968.

New position: Tennessee women’s soccer coach.

Old position: Maryland women’s soccer coach.

By the numbers: From 2009-2011, Maryland went 44-14-9, made the NCAA Tournament all three years and appeared in the Sweet 16 twice. Overall, Pensky was 67-52-20 at Maryland.

Coaching career: Bullis School (Potomac, Md.) (1996-98), boys’ soccer coach; George Washington (1998-2000), women’s soccer assistant coach; Loyola College (2001), men’s soccer assistant coach; Maryland (2002-04), men’s soccer assistant coach; Maryland (2005-11), women’s soccer coach.

Degree: Bachelor’s in economics from Emory University, 1991

Family: Wife, Abby, and three children, sons Will, 9, and Ben, 8, daughter Alex, 9.

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart's first official head coaching hire brings plenty of experience and accolades to the Lady Vols soccer program.

Brian Pensky, the coach at Maryland for the past seven seasons, will replace Angela Kelly, who left UT last month to lead the women's soccer program at Texas.

"I am humbled and honored to be the next head women's soccer coach at the University of Tennessee," the 43-year-old Pensky said in a university release. "There were a number of factors that went into this decision, including the tradition of athletic excellence, the passionate fan base, and the first-class facilities. But most importantly, Abby (Pensky's wife) and I were impressed by the family atmosphere within this athletics department, and we were very much drawn to that. We are very thankful to have the opportunity to join the Tennessee family."

UT did not release contract details for Pensky.

Under Pensky, Maryland reached the NCAA tournament in each of the past three seasons, reaching the Sweet 16 in 2009 and 2011. The Terrapins are one of three teams to finish in the top 11 in the NSCAA Coaches' poll in each of the past three seasons.

In 2010, Pensky was named the 2010 Soccer America National Coach of the Year and ACC Coach of the Year.

From 2005 through 2011, Maryland went 67-52-20 with Pensky at the helm.

"I am excited to have Brian coming to Tennessee to lead our soccer program," Hart said. "Brian is an outstanding coach with a proven record of success in building and maintaining an elite program capable of competing at a championship level. We welcome Brian, Abby and their children into our Volunteer family."

Pensky graduated from Emory University in 1991 but didn't get his coaching career started until 1996, when he became the boys' soccer coach at Bullis School in Potomac, Md. His first job at the collegiate level was at George Washington, where he served as an assistant women's coach 1998-2000. He had a one-year stint as a men's assistant at Loyola College, where he helped lead the team to the NCAA tournament, before joining Maryland's men's staff as an assistant in 2002. Three years later, Pensky had his first college head coaching job with the Lady Terrapins.

Pensky inherits a UT program that has qualified for the NCAA tournament twice since 2008. The Lady Vols (15-7) advanced to the SEC tournament semifinals this past season, but fell to Auburn before their first-round elimination against Ohio State.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FearlessFreep writes:

This is a home run hire. Pensky is well respected and has built the Terps program into a power. I have no doubt he'll do the same at Tennessee.

If this is the kind of hire we can expect from Dave Hart, then the Tennessee program is in good hands.

1vavolfan writes:

Sounds like a great hire. At least we can count on the Lady Vols to be consistently good. Would like to see a men's soccer team at UT, the most played youth sport in the U.S. and the most popular sport in the world.

FWBVol writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

As long as Title IX is hanging over the heads of most SEC programs men's soccer won't be a likely option. If Tennessee fields a men's soccer team another male sport will have to be cut or another women's sport would have to be added.

Personally, I hope UT never has a men's soccer program. I think soccer is the most over rated game in the world. And, contrary to what many believe it also is a dangerous sport that can cause concussions from constantly heading the ball.

I applaud and appreciate your passion for soccer, but just because a bunch of 10-year olds are playing the game in a rec league it doesn't make it a good fit for Tennessee.

jburch175 writes:

I vote for mens soccer at UT.

madmax22 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I grew up around and am foremost a football fan, while soccer only became popular during my kids generation. I did however get involved coaching my kids teams as I did with baseball and basketball. I had to learn the sport from scratch and learned to love it, like most other sports.

Sadly I see a lot of ignorant people like you FWBVol. If you don't like it, that is fine, but to post uninformed and stupid comments about what UT should do simply because you probably aren't smart enough to comprehend the game is just well, ignorant.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Please engage your mind before posting.Very stupid post. It would be great to have a UT men's soccer team . I've grown to love the sport after following my son's participation all the way from rec leagues to playing on a High School State Championsip team. Give the sport a chance if you understood it you'd probably love it too.
If you don't want to learn and love it fine but don't try and impose your thoughts on whats best or needed for Tennesee on the rest of us. We can decide what we like or would like to see at Tennessee. GBO

fearthehound writes:

in response to madmax22:

For crying out loud, Dude, the guy is just giving his opinion. How about a little civility. Save your hate for the trolls.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to FearlessFreep:

No doubt, this man actually has a resume worthy of coaching a Tennessee team.

Volfever writes:

in response to FWBVol:

HAHAHA!! You think that it's dangerous from concussions, yet you are a proponent of football??!! I love, enjoy, and respect ALL sports, but before I'd go making an ignorant opinion, I'd at least make a comment that makes sense, AND I'd learn how to spell overrated! Go Vols in ALL sports!!!

madmax22 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Sorry you're not smart enough to realize that is exactly what I was doing. I again, I don't think he is smart enough to understand the game. But that is also my opinion.

bunker_hill#300251 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

They averaged over 1500 for each of their home games this year. So yea more then a 100...

FLVOL_79 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

comparing AYSO to any competitive soccer is apples and oranges. Also it is a sport where most people who play it enjoy watching it...kind of like golf. Who watches golf that doesn't play? No one.

FLVOL_79 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

You do know that several TN teams over the past 20 years have had the best soccer teams in the nation right? Yeah, terrible fit for east TN. And concussions? If you are coached from a moron on how to hit the ball with your head then yeah..

FLVOL_79 writes:

A mens soccer team would fit in nicely at UT. Honestly, do we really need as many women sports as men sports? Thats just fail politically correct policy.

dragon18 writes:

in response to FLVOL_79:

I would love to see men's soccer at UT. Regal stadium is built with that expansion in mind. You may think that Title IX seems like political correctness run amok, but it has had a profound impact on the development of young women in sports and has had an incredibly positive impact on women in general. I'm assuming you do not have a daughter.If you did you may feel different about it.

And no, I have a son who plays football.

FLVOL_79 writes:

in response to dragon18:

And no, I have a son who plays football.

I think we could get mens soccer and for women lets implement beach volleyball!

Sports are great for kids, keeps em out of trouble. And no, I don't have any daughters that I know of..

dragon18 writes:

in response to FLVOL_79:

I think we could get mens soccer and for women lets implement beach volleyball!

I am with you on that one!!! I would attend beach volleyball matches for sure! LOL!